Kenny Stills

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Gute has some insider info? And thats why nothing happened

Or he is just an idiot

Like I said in the Fuller thread, I think any knowledge either the Texans and/or Fuller would have had of the investigation would have had to have been revealed to any potential trade partner and I am sure they had such information. I wouldn't necessarily call that inside information. More like full disclosure.

Of course if Gute knew about it and still offered a draft pick that in itself may qualify him as an idiot so maybe he did not know. Although if he did and protected himself with a void clause if a suspension did happen then maybe that makes him a genius.

Idiot or genius...you make the call.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stills went unclaimed, SHOCKS me personally. He could be had much cheaper now, and Lord have mercy we should do it IMO. If for no other reason than a veteran with the tricks of the trade that MVS is, but more polished and has seen more than MVS - could help MVS growth a lot.

Adams with Lazard/Stills/MVS/EQ + our backs and the hybrid Tavon...I'll take that for sure.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Like I said in the Fuller thread, I think any knowledge either the Texans and/or Fuller would have had of the investigation would have had to have been revealed to any potential trade partner and I am sure they had such information. I wouldn't necessarily call that inside information. More like full disclosure.

Of course if Gute knew about it and still offered a draft pick that in itself may qualify him as an idiot so maybe he did not know. Although if he did and protected himself with a void clause if a suspension did happen then maybe that makes him a genius.

Idiot or genius...you make the call.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think most of us were happy that the Packers didn't trade a 2nd round pick for Fuller, even without knowing his PED situation. I didn't like the short term rental aspect of a WR that would need weeks to get in sync with the offense and then most likely be gone or require a huge contract to hang on to.

This news just hammers home the notion of "We as fans often don't have all the information, especially when it comes to personnel moves."

On the surface I love the idea of signing Stills right now, but for all I know Gute has a list of 12 reasons why Stills wouldn't improve the team.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the surface I love the idea of signing Stills right now, but for all I know Gute has a list of 12 reasons why Stills wouldn't improve the team.

Honestly while I listed having Stills there to mentor MVS some in his growth, the staff could see signing Stills as something that would just destroy MVS's mindset and motivation - because let's be honest, you sign Stills it mostly impacts MVS snaps, not others.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Shepherd was just released. No surprise at all there. I wish the man luck. Maybe he will end up back on the Packers P.S. but at this point, why?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Honestly while I listed having Stills there to mentor MVS some in his growth, the staff could see signing Stills as something that would just destroy MVS's mindset and motivation - because let's be honest, you sign Stills it mostly impacts MVS snaps, not others.

While I get your point, I think you sign Stills if he improves the Team. Just as I would sign a released TE, if I thought doing so improved the team. Sure MVS and Lazard might have a future with the Packers, but so could Stills. This isn't like MVS hasn't had a chance to develop and if he is that good, he will continue and he will prove why he is worth keeping. Competition is good and with injuries and all the personnel groups MLF likes to run, I wouldn't worry about the effect Stills has on MVS.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I get your point, I think you sign Stills if he improves the Team. Just as I would sign a released TE, if I thought doing so improved the team. Sure MVS and Lazard might have a future with the Packers, but so could Stills. This isn't like MVS hasn't had a chance to develop and if he is that good, he will continue and he will prove why he is worth keeping. Competition is good and with injuries and all the personnel groups MLF likes to run, I wouldn't worry about the effect Stills has on MVS.
While I agree with this, I also agree with one of your previous posts about not knowing all the facts. The fact that Stills was released even though the Texans most likely knew about the impending issue with Fuller combined with the fact that he has cleared waivers, and to my knowledge is still out there.... makes me wonder what else we don’t know.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Shepherd was just released. No surprise at all there. I wish the man luck. Maybe he will end up back on the Packers P.S. but at this point, why?
I've seen more than I care to see from Shepherd. Nothing personal, but time to move on.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While I agree with this, I also agree with one of your previous posts about not knowing all the facts. The fact that Stills was released even though the Texans most likely knew about the impending issue with Fuller combined with the fact that he has cleared waivers, and to my knowledge is still out there.... makes me wonder what else we don’t know.

Most definitely and all I was trying to say was if Gute and MLF feel Stills improves the teams (he ticks all their boxes), MVS getting less snaps shouldn't be a big factor in not signing him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree, and I'd sign him personally - was merely trying to envision why the organization may see it as a negative.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Gute has some insider info? And thats why nothing happened

Or he is just an idiot

I imagine that if the packers knew, the Texans had to know also.

And if the Texans knew, they likely would not have turned down any trade offer for Fuller....Which means, they likely didn't know, and neither did the Pack.

Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I imagine that if the packers knew, the Texans had to know also.

And if the Texans knew, they likely would not have turned down any trade offer for Fuller....Which means, they likely didn't know, and neither did the Pack.

Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.
He been appealing it for weeks or months

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stills went unclaimed, SHOCKS me personally. He could be had much cheaper now, and Lord have mercy we should do it IMO.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/11/30/kenny-stills-clears-waivers/

Probably because of this. Teams were confident they can sign him for less than $2m for reminder of season.

Had Stills been claimed, his new team would be on the hook for just over $2 million. The Texans will now be on the hook for that amount as termination pay and Stills will be able to make more money if he does sign with another team before the year is out.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think many people here would be very surprised at how little we know. You either have faith and confidence in your management team to make good decisions or you don’t. I’m liking what I’ve seen so far from our management.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hmmm.... that says something for sure.

Just that nobody wanted to pay full price (~$2M) for him.

So the Texans are on the hook for the balance of his 2020 contract. Does anyone know which is true?:
  • He is guaranteed that amount + any additional money he makes with another team?
  • Whatever another team pays him, is deducted from what the Texans are on the hook for? Thus he can only make as much as what his 2020 contract was for.
The reason I ask is if he is only guaranteed that 2020 contract money and only that amount, his incentives for playing are reduced somewhat. He might be thinking "save my body and test myself in the 2021 Free agent market".

Or he might want to hook up with a winning team, make a SB run and try to increase his value for a new contract?

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is owed his money no matter what happens and unless there is an offset clause in his contract he will also make whatever he signs for.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was in his last year if I am not mistaken. By not making a waiver claim teams may avoid a free agency situation next year by signing him to a longer deal if they want to keep him around for more than just the rest of the year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He was in his last year if I am not mistaken. By not making a waiver claim teams may avoid a free agency situation next year by signing him to a longer deal if they want to keep him around for more than just the rest of the year.

Yup and probably a tough decision for both him and a potential new team. His current and future value has to be suppressed due to 2 things, his lack of playing time in Texas, as well as the Cap situation for next season. If I am the team looking at him, given that he is only 28 and his value is probably at rock bottom, I am trying to sign him at least through next season at a reduced rate. Personally, I think this guy is better than his stats in both Texas and Miami show. Give him a decent QB and offense to work with and I think he becomes a solid #2.

Again, I have no clue what Gute and the Packers think of Stills or how he would fit in, but if they think he improves the team, he could be a bargain. If he is a bargain and he doesn't fit in, not much lost.

Latest posts