Kenny Stills

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I disagreed because I like his size and quickness. I wish he would be given more of a chance in the line-up. I don't see him scared or nervous like he was last year. But should not be returning KOs. Only punts. Maybe EQ could return a kick-off.

Did you see Shepherd after he fumbled? He was playing scared and hesitant. This is his second year and he hasn't done anything special in a good way.

I hope we can contain Cordarrelle Patterson on a whole lot of kickoffs tomorrow night, but he is what I call a return guy. He runs with confidence, speed, power and I have rarely seen him make a bad decision on a kick return. He has a career ave. of ~30 yds/return and 8 TD's.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shepherd isn’t that quick.

He might get called quicker than he is fast, but that’s just because he isn’t fast. Subpar athleticism for an NFL WR.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Well so far nobody has claimed him yet but they say it was "mutual" there in the parting. Either they are pulling our legs or it was that.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think Stills is the missing link to the Super Bowl by any means. However, he is an almost instant upgrade to a pathetically weak position on a Team with SB aspirations. He was playing behind some pretty decent talent in TX and would be coming into the opposite situation in GB. It most definitely would take time to learn the playbook and get in sync with Aaron Rodgers. IF things went well, I could easily see him becoming the Packers #2 WR by the playoffs.

I'm not convinced that Stills, at this point in his career, provides an upgrade over Lazard or MVS though.

could be some help. he'll cost them $2.4m of the 3.6 they have left if they get him off waivers. tavon austin is a more realistic chance. he's a gadget guy like swerve. for punt returns alone they should get him.

Just for the record, according to the NFLPA the Packers currently have $4.6 million of cap space. Stills would count $2 million against it for the rest of the season when claimed after this week.

Austin has regressed as a punt returner lately. Since 2017 he has only averaged five yards per return on 39 attempts.

I don't think anyone is expecting him to just blow up. I just expect for him to push MVS for playing time.

Stills might be able to challenge MVS for playing time but I'm not convinced he would be an upgrade over him before the end of the season based on his lack of production the past few seasons as well as him lacking knowledge of the system.

I disagreed because I like his size and quickness. I wish he would be given more of a chance in the line-up.

Shepherd has been given enough opportunities for an undrafted player. He has taken advantage of it though.

So who claimed him, wouldn't we know by now?

The deadline to put in claims for Stills is on Monday, 4pm ET.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope we can contain Cordarrelle Patterson on a whole lot of kickoffs tomorrow night, but he is what I call a return guy. He runs with confidence, speed, power and I have rarely seen him make a bad decision on a kick return. He has a career ave. of ~30 yds/return and 8 TD's.
Yes, I would call him a return guy also. At least on kick-offs. Seeing as he is probably the best in the NFL at it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Stills might be able to challenge MVS for playing time but I'm not convinced he would be an upgrade over him before the end of the season based on his lack of production the past few seasons as well as him lacking knowledge of the system.

While I agree on the "lacking knowledge" of the Packers system, I wouldn't put too much weight on his "lack of production". Given the Texans depth at WR, his snap counts and targets have been declining rapidly, thus probably the main reason for his release.

I don't think he immediately replaces MVS or Lazard, but I think he has the skill set to become a lot more productive over time than MVS for sure and possibly Lazard as well. He is only 28.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I agree on the "lacking knowledge" of the Packers system, I wouldn't put too much weight on his "lack of production". Given the Texans depth at WR, his snap counts and targets have been declining rapidly, thus probably the main reason for his release.

It's possible Stills would be a better option opposite Adams than anyone currently on the roster.

While I understand it was difficult for him to have a huge impact with the Texans behind Cooks and Fuller on the depth chart he already didn't put up impressive numbers during his last season in Miami in 2018 either.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's possible Stills would be a better option opposite Adams than anyone currently on the roster.

While I understand it was difficult for him to have a huge impact with the Texans behind Cooks and Fuller on the depth chart he already didn't put up impressive numbers during his last season in Miami in 2018 either.

Agree and I guess it goes to show you just how I feel about the Packers current WR group that I would think Stills has the definite potential to be an upgrade. ;)

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
should not be returning KOs. Only punts. Maybe EQ could return a kick-off.

Shepherd's career punt return average is -3 yds per return. Last year he had the Pack headed for a negative total for the year - unprecedented in league history - until Ervin was brought on board. I really disagree that we want him returning punts ever. He needs to go away asap.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shepherd's career punt return average is -3 yds per return. Last year he had the Pack headed for a negative total for the year - unprecedented in league history - until Ervin was brought on board. I really disagree that we want him returning punts ever. He needs to go away asap.

Wait, sorry, career total pr yds is -3, his average return is -1.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Wait, sorry, career total pr yds is -3, his average return is -1.

Add to that his Kickoff Return ave. is 18.7 yards.

I said it last year and I will say it again, Shepherd is a terrible choice as a return guy. He plays hesitant and scared. I realize Ervin is hurt, but when you have nobody better to return kicks/punts than Shepherd, it is a pretty damning statement to either or both your Special teams coach and roster.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Shepherd could be a good punt returner. Last year he looked scared. (yes people look scared when they are returning a KO and the ball is coming out of their hands). But not this year. I think the special teams coach has told him to be super careful which has resulted in many times taking a fair catch when not needed. All of this is my opinion. I also think he would be able to get open on routes and would have good hands. And I think that Ervin looks unsure of himself while fielding a punt.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Seriously? We gonna discount his talent because he was playing for Miami? Look at Ryan Tannehill and that'll tell you all you need to know about how much of a black hole that place was before Flores got there.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Shepherd could be a good punt returner. Last year he looked scared. (yes people look scared when they are returning a KO and the ball is coming out of their hands). But not this year. I think the special teams coach has told him to be super careful which has resulted in many times taking a fair catch when not needed. All of this is my opinion. I also think he would be able to get open on routes and would have good hands. And I think that Ervin looks unsure of himself while fielding a punt.

You are for sure entitled to that opinion, but if you're basing it on Shepherd's punt returns this season, I'm gonna have to point out that he has one punt return this season, for 6 yards.

Not trying to bag on you or your good faith in a guy who you see promise in - I just don't see it at all.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think Stills deal with the Texans would mean that any team claiming him would pay him around 440K per game for the rest of the season. That's steep. He could get double the veteran minimum and still make significantly less than that.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
maybe...if there's only one interested party. doubt that'll be the case.
Might not be... but nobody wanted him at his previous salary so either way it should be significantly cheaper than that.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You would think the Texans had to know that Fuller was under investigation and that a suspension was possible and they still cut Stills. That tells me there was something more going on behind the scenes other than he was simply too far down on the depth chart. I'm not saying anything would manifest itself on a new team but it does add a bit more to the story as to why the Texans released him.

From a talent perspective I'd take Stills over Austin any day.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You would think the Texans had to know that Fuller was under investigation and that a suspension was possible and they still cut Stills. That tells me there was something more going on behind the scenes other than he was simply too far down on the depth chart. I'm not saying anything would manifest itself on a new team but it does add a bit more to the story as to why the Texans released him.

From a talent perspective I'd take Stills over Austin any day.

I'm just glad that the Packers didn't make a trade for Fuller before the trade deadline.

Latest posts