Josh Gordon

H

HardRightEdge

Josh Gordon has been suspened...again. I don't need to say what for, do I? Careful what you wish for.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm honestly incredibly worried for this young man...his internal self-destructive behavior has been around since high school and nothing he's done or been part of has seemed enough to sway him to take control of his life.

He is perhaps the best case argument against drugs/marijuana for young athletes...the stuff can self destruct even the most gifted and talented. Imagine what a clean Josh Gordon could have been...drafted in 2012, leads league in receiving yards from literally the worst 3 starting QBs of the 2013 season by many arguments....and since has had what 4 more suspensions....

I pray he figures his demons out no matter what happens football wise....I just never want to read a headline with the word death and his name until he is old and everyone forgets who he is.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm honestly incredibly worried for this young man...his internal self-destructive behavior has been around since high school and nothing he's done or been part of has seemed enough to sway him to take control of his life.

He is perhaps the best case argument against drugs/marijuana for young athletes...the stuff can self destruct even the most gifted and talented. Imagine what a clean Josh Gordon could have been...drafted in 2012, leads league in receiving yards from literally the worst 3 starting QBs of the 2013 season by many arguments....and since has had what 4 more suspensions....

I pray he figures his demons out no matter what happens football wise....I just never want to read a headline with the word death and his name until he is old and everyone forgets who he is.
It is unfortunate, the squandered talent. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it "demons". He's a pot head. Pot, alcohol, nicotine, food, power, money, the smart phone--most of us have one issue or another. It just so happens he violated a rule of his employment numerous times whereas our addictions may not be treated so punatively, now including baseball players.

Major League Baseball just announced they will no longer be testing for THC. Pot is no longer a banned substance in MLB. If the MLB rule change been in place in the NFL at the time of Gordon's first suspension we'd be none the wiser. Any inclination toward moralizing should be left to the pulpit on Sunday and forgotten on Monday. This is a matter of the relative nature of rule making.

My objection to bringing in a guy like Gordon pertains to giving a guy a role, relying on him to perform that role, and then getting the rug pulled out from under you at an inopportune time. That Gordon would get suspended again had a high probability given his track record.

Now, one might be inclined to say pot ruined his talent. I'd be a cautious with that kind of pity or moralizing. He was a pot head when he was a preeminent talent. It's as likely the attention and pressure plays a part in not getting back to where he was. All the time missed leading to a loss of focus and psychological momentum may be the biggest factor.

If the NFL suddenly followed MLB, Gordon was reinstated, the constant pressure over what tomorrow might bring now lifted, I'd be quite willing to have him in camp to see what he has left in the tank. This is not that.

Last edited by a moderator:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As someone who has been close with numerous addicts in my life, including ones that paid with their life, I think there's pretty clearly a lot of other issues going on with Gordon that extend beyond marijuana. If he had a pot addiction and that was all we were dealing with here this might be a salvageable career and player.

He's quite probably an alcoholic and very possibly is addicted to numerous other prescription and other narcotics. This isn't a guy who just loves to smoke weed in his basement and that's it. There's a lot more going on here. He needs some serious help or being out of football will be the least of his worries before long.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As someone who has been close with numerous addicts in my life, including ones that paid with their life, I think there's pretty clearly a lot of other issues going on with Gordon that extend beyond marijuana. If he had a pot addiction and that was all we were dealing with here this might be a salvageable career and player.

He's quite probably an alcoholic and very possibly is addicted to numerous other prescription and other narcotics. This isn't a guy who just loves to smoke weed in his basement and that's it. There's a lot more going on here. He needs some serious help or being out of football will be the least of his worries before long.

Yep. When we heard the news my wife and I both figured he could be dead in a years time. Sad to say and I hope it doesn't happen, obviously. We're both in the health industry and have pretty extensive experience with addicts.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure how they can structure it in the next CBA, but teams and players have to figure out a better way of helping these guys. It's unfortunate that it's something we all have to know about in the public realm. It's really none of our business. However, it is the league's business and in my mind they have a duty to do more to help out players with addictions. You can't help everyone, but after each failed test the league and teams should really step up more....even if the guy isn't on a team anymore. Josh Gordon needs help and the NFLPA and NFL should help the guy. They've certainly earned money off of his back, so the least they could do is have his when it's needed most.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If you believe Mo Bennett, 89% of the players in the NFL are using Pot. This actually wouldn't surprise me if its true.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...t-89-percent-nfl-players-smoke-pot/508746002/

I also think think the way testing is set up, it somewhat "condones" or turns a blind eye to its use during the season.

Seems like the guys who are suspended for it are guys who got caught with Marijuana off the field, in traffic incidents or someone like Gordon, who due to previous violations are tested more frequently and more randomly. As someone that has been around quite a few college players, I know its used quite a bit and Bennett's numbers probably aren't that far off.

This was actually a pretty well written article about the NFL and how its policies with Mental illness, pain management, etc. adapt and change, ever so slowly.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/05/28/nfl-marijuana-policy-changes-roger-goodell-nflpa-chris-long

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tragic. Just tragic.

Clearly the young man needs some help. I don't care if he doesn't agree with the policy. If I had someone willing to pay me $6M per year but wanted me to give up alcohol, coffee, and brats, I would do it. I would retire early and gorge myself on brats and beer for the rest of my life, but I would easily make the sacrafice and be honest about it. Even if I thought I could get away with cheating I wouldn't take the chance. Clearly he has no ability to stop or recognize the danger. A man who could afford any treatment or professional help.

Hate to see this much talent go to waste.

H

HardRightEdge

He's quite probably an alcoholic and very possibly is addicted to numerous other prescription and other narcotics.
That's a speculation. We do know he was also using a banned PED per this this most recent drug test. What that might be is a matter of speculation as well. It could be Adderall to shake off the buzz on game day.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
This dude has/had all time great talent. So sad to see such a wasted career. I really hope he can find a way to stay clean. Not looking good.