Josh Gordon

H

HardRightEdge

Definitely possible. Just saying it's worth asking the question and the possibility that there might be more to it shouldnt be immediately dismissed.
Reports are coming out this morning that the actual cause was as I said, a "do your job" issue.

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2...ork-ethic-was-a-growing-concern-for-patriots/

If that issue was sufficient or only intolerable with his poor production, the Sanu acquisition and Harry coming off IR, these other factors are proximate causes and a matter of speculation.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Reports are coming out this morning that the actual cause was as I said, a "do your job" issue.

I think its pretty obvious that the Patriots aren't getting rid of Gordon because he was a stellar WR, with great work ethics and team chemistry. Much like his entire NFL career, he will come to a new team with baggage. Whatever team grabs him, is probably going to be one building for next season and giving him a trial run to see if he fits in. If he does, they will try to resign him, if he doesn't, he is looking for another team next season.

Gordon is a mini-me version of AB, has a lot of skills, just finds ways to derail himself from consistently applying them in his trade.

H

HardRightEdge

I think its pretty obvious that the Patriots aren't getting rid of Gordon because he was a stellar WR, with great work ethics and team chemistry.
Right. And those are the same reasons to avoid him along with the highly questionable residual talent.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Right. And those are the same reasons to avoid him along with the highly questionable residual talent.
I guess it all depends. IMO, the Patriots have set themselves up with a lot better options at WR than the Packers have. Gordon is a #5 or 6 WR on the Pats at best. On the Packers, he could be #2 or #3. So sure, for the Pats it was a pretty easy decision to cut him loose. What Gute and the Packers would have to decide, is he a big enough upgrade over what they currently have, to risk the uncertainty of what he could potentially do to upset the chemistry of the offense and the team itself. Andre Rison keeps flashing through my head and he was even more of a malcontent, before the Packers signed him.

I doubt the Packers get a shot at him, so none of this really matters.

H

HardRightEdge

I guess it all depends. IMO, the Patriots have set themselves up with a lot better options at WR than the Packers have. Gordon is a #5 or 6 WR on the Pats at best. On the Packers, he could be #2 or #3. So sure, for the Pats it was a pretty easy decision to cut him loose. What Gute and the Packers would have to decide, is he a big enough upgrade over what they currently have, to risk the uncertainty of what he could potentially do to upset the chemistry of the offense and the team itself. Andre Rison keeps flashing through my head and he was even more of a malcontent, before the Packers signed him.

I doubt the Packers get a shot at him, so none of this really matters.
Whether the Packers get a shot at him or not, we'll soon put a nail in the coffin of this thread.

After an turbulent 2018 and offseason surrounding the euphemistic "accountablilty" issues, I am very confident the Packers will not be adding a player, this one or another, who is the poster child for that euphemism.

I would not be surprised if he isn't claimed at all.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Adams back, I don't see this as a desperate need.

And if I really have to choose between players with questionable integrity, we may as well go for broke and sign Antonio Brown. :eek:

H

HardRightEdge

And if I really have to choose between players with questionable integrity, we may as well go for broke and sign Antonio Brown. :eek:
"Broke" might be the operable term. The league has not said whether Brown would be placed on paid leave if signed which makes him de facto suspended. Writing up that contract would in all liklihood be throwing money out the window.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the-nfl-still-hasnt-interviewed-antonio-brown/ar-AAJGzRr

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I thought Gordon's issue was with smoking weed, and not wrong personality disorder like AB. Not a big deal for me actually.

ABs issues are way beyond that. He is completely narsasistic, petty and immature. Demanding the spotlight and under the impression he should be treated with reverance and adoration by fans, teammates and coaching staffs. All of these traits make him a detriment to any team foolish enough to sign him. Oh, and he rapes women. Probably felt he was doing her a favor.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm sure that would be the #1 condition in [Brown's] contract!
That would require a contract provision that says, "If the league suspends the player with pay the contract is voided". I'm fairly certain you cannot do that.

H

HardRightEdge

Oh it will be opened again, after this season, when the team that picks him up doesn't resign him. ;)
Yeah, but there would be several months of relief from the topic. We take what we can get. ;)

There will of course be a fresh new batch of ill-advise free agent proposals in these pages and the wheel goes round and round.

Last edited by a moderator:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope I am wrong, but I don't see a big future in Allison. Glad the Packers only signed him for one year, but would have preferred that they didn't and gone out and signed/drafted a bonafide slot WR before the season started.

I think alot of us have a soft spot for Allison but this is a business. Fortunately, I don't see him getting the boot automatically, I think the Packers will tender him something, but Allison may jettison Green Bay for a team with a higher offer or where he can compete to be a #2. But in 2020 I fully expect us to carry 5 or 6 WRs on the 53, and having Allison here as that 5th or 6th spot is definitely worthwhile.

As a matter of fact, my bold prediction is that Allison staying/leaving determines our draft strategy. If he hangs around we only draft two, if he's gone we draft three.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Gordon's issue was with smoking weed, and not wrong personality disorder like AB. Not a big deal for me actually.

ABs issues are way beyond that. He is completely narsasistic, petty and immature. Demanding the spotlight and under the impression he should be treated with reverance and adoration by fans, teammates and coaching staffs. All of these traits make him a detriment to any team foolish enough to sign him. Oh, and he rapes women. Probably felt he was doing her a favor.
While I do understand your point, I don’t think Gordon’s issues are as different from Brown’s as it may seem. While I personally don’t care if someone smokes weed or not, the fact that he has let it completely ruin an otherwise very promising NFL career says something about his value to the team. If smoking weed is of more importance to him than apparently everything else... I’d say he is not exactly someone you want to count on for much of anything.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sounds like the Seahawks grabbed Gordon. One waiver position ahead of the Packers. Hmmmmm....did we put a claim in for him?

Side Note: Marijuana is legal in Seattle, what could go wrong? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I do understand your point, I don’t think Gordon’s issues are as different from Brown’s as it may seem. While I personally don’t care if someone smokes weed or not, the fact that he has let it completely ruin an otherwise very promising NFL career says something about his value to the team. If smoking weed is of more importance to him than apparently everything else... I’d say he is not exactly someone you want to count on for much of anything.
Yeah, I guess i can see your point.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Had he signed with the Packers, we could have overlooked all these "past negatives" and just looked forward to all the catches he made in Green and Gold! However, now that he signed with the Seahawks, I think we should all focus on the negatives of Josh Gordon! :D :tup:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He's not a complete wide receiver yet, and he may never be, but for now I'm not complaining. It's that black and white thing again. Complete wide receivers, if they are not saddled with a bad QB, get in the Pro Bowl / top 10 conversation. There are not many of those so why expect it?

I wouldn't read more than what's there with Gordon. I just assume he was not "doing his job", as the Belichick mantra goes, and that gets you a one-way ticket out of New England. It could be as simple as Belichick thought his knee was not so bad he couldn't play and Gordon said he couldn't. It wouldn't be the first time a guy got cut for that reason.

I don't understand the attraction with this guy. You'd think it was 2014 and we're looking at his one-off 2013 numbers. Maybe he needs the smoke for his football mind-set. Who knows. It's a matter best left to the Dolphins or Jets of the world who might find a need for some twitter traction to sell a couple of tickets. Or the trade-happy Rams scratching around for an elusive personnel formula.
The attraction for many people is that they want every bad actor that becomes available. These bad actors become available often because there are always a good number of desperate “sucker” teams that have to see for themselves just how huge a pain in the butt it is to deal with these bad acting clowns. Some people just like championing selfish locker room jerks and druggies and if it was their choice, they’d have a clubhouse full of these misfits.

We’re 7-1 and have an ascending offense. Don’t screw up the team chemistry by bringing in some loud mouth jackwagon please!

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Eh poop. It would had been a nicety but I am not losing sleep on not getting him. It was a long shot anyway.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per Gordon's agent David Canter, 9 NFL teams had put in a workout request for him; although he declined to name said teams. If you include the Seahawks as the 10th team, roughly a third of the league were interested in his services.

The key here is that on waivers Seattle has to pay the remainder his $2M in base salary, whereas as if he were signed as a Free Agent they were free to negotiate their own deal.

So maybe Gute was interested, but not at $2M.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was let go from the team that takes people and makes their career, they couldn't and now he's somewhere else. I don't think we're going to hear much from him the rest of the year, much like we didn't hear much of him the first part of the year.