Josh Gordon

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
waived by the Patriots and free to go through the waiver claim. Still an ultra talented who won’t make it through the waiver process to get claimed by Green Bay. Would be a nice add for depth purposes tho.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With as polarizing as Gordon is I'd say anything is possible. I could see a team that's in the middle of the playoff race trying to make a move for him or a GM/Coach combo trying to save their jobs. Gute so far has shown he's not into guys with a checkered history, but I'd support this move wholeheartedly.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's see, NE so desperate for a WR they trade a 2nd for an over the hill good WR. They try and sign headcase AB. And they let go of Gordon? Something is definitely wrong with him. My bet is BB caught him inviting the rookie WR to join him for some weed.

H

HardRightEdge

After the 2-6 Giants traded
[QUOTE="rodell330, post: 850385, member: 6676"Still an ultra talented who won’t make it through the waiver process to get claimed by Green Bay.[/QUOTE]I certainly hope so. It's best to see temptation avoided. By the way, talent is not an enduring quality. That "ultra" talent dates from 2013.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's see, NE so desperate for a WR they trade a 2nd for an over the hill good WR. They try and sign headcase AB. And they let go of Gordon? Something is definitely wrong with him. My bet is BB caught him inviting the rookie WR to join him for some weed.

Really? What’s the bet? I’d like to get in on that.... or are you just making a stupid comment? (My money is on the latter)

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
No chance we get him as Pack are near the bottom of the waiver list.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its fun to dream but he will be snapped up quick....if he did fall that far, would you want him instead of allison or mvs? hmm

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS I think was targeted twice and dropped one. GMo had a nice catch in the 3rd for a nice first down.

Honestly, with MVS' boom-or-bust play, I'd actually prefer if he lined up in the slot. His height and speed might be of more use there if he can take a hit or two. GMo is more of a long speed guy so he might fare better outside since slot corners can be more twitchy.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol I have neither on my fantasy teams, I had a hunch that MVS would play like this and GMo needs another year before he's back, typical ACL recovery year

You are next in a long line of commentors here who does not know what constitutes a drop. The defender whacked his hand.

I was at the game, so I didn't have the commodity of instant replay. MVS was literally right in front of me(Row 5:D) but it looked like the ball went right through his hands. I didn't see the defender's hands at all but it was good coverage.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would. Did MVS or Allison even play against KC? Smh both guys are non factors way too much for my support.,

Even if he doesn't catch a lot, MVS attracts a lot of attention from defenses because of his speed. Draws a safety towards him often. Doesn't show up in the box score, but it matters a lot.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point, the only problem is even with that kind of attention, our other WRs don't seem to be getting open. A savvy veteran like Gordon should be able to do that, especially if he's the #2/#3 option behind Adams and MVS.

H

HardRightEdge

Lol I have neither on my fantasy teams, I had a hunch that MVS would play like this and GMo needs another year before he's back, typical ACL recovery year

I was at the game, so I didn't have the commodity of instant reply. MVS was literally right in front of me(Row 5:D) but it looked like the ball went right through his hands. I didn't see the defender's hands at all but it was good coverage.
Replay does come in handy, then or now. I just double checked it to be sure I remembered it correctly. The defender in fact whacked his hand. It was good coverage. You're right about that.

I think MVS is doing pretty good. If teams like KC want to cover Jones with a LB on a go route while having the safety on that side of the field follow MVS in a double team on a crossing route clearing out the field for Jones, I'll take that all day.

There's way too much black and white in evaluating players. It's either he's breaking out or he's a bum. Smooth the curve, follow the progression (which is evident) and see where it goes. I think it's going pretty well. I wouldn't bench him for Josh Gordon.

As for Allison, I stated my skepticism before the season as to his durability running slot routes in the danger zone. He's tall, lanky, not very physical, an easy target, and he doesn't seem to have a knack for protecting himself. He seems to find himself in awkward positions catching (or trying to catch) those middle throws. So far this season, just a minor (we presume) concussion. It could be worse and it might yet be.

As for the fantasy comment, it was not directed at you specifically. There's a lot of folks running hot and cold on MVS from week to week in this thread and others. I picture some jumping on the fantasy bandwagon and getting burned.

Last edited by a moderator:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS has actually been pretty good this year serving as a deep threat option. The problem is most fans only see the big plays (which arent going to be routine every game for him) and miss out on the point that defenses are sliding Safties over the top to neutralize him deep. Is the complaint that he isnt a complete WR yet?

I'd be for bringing in Gordon if he gets to us in the waiver wire although I'll admit if a WR hungry team like the Pats let him go that definitely counts as smoke even if the fire isnt visible

H

HardRightEdge

MVS has actually been pretty good this year serving as a deep threat option. The problem is most fans only see the big plays (which arent going to be routine every game for him) and miss out on the point that defenses are sliding Safties over the top to neutralize him deep. Is the complaint that he isnt a complete WR yet?

I'd be for bringing in Gordon if he gets to us in the waiver wire although I'll admit if a WR hungry team like the Pats let him go that definitely counts as smoke even if the fire isnt visible.
He's not a complete wide receiver yet, and he may never be, but for now I'm not complaining. It's that black and white thing again. Complete wide receivers, if they are not saddled with a bad QB, get in the Pro Bowl / top 10 conversation. There are not many of those so why expect it?

I wouldn't read more than what's there with Gordon. I just assume he was not "doing his job", as the Belichick mantra goes, and that gets you a one-way ticket out of New England. It could be as simple as Belichick thought his knee was not so bad he couldn't play and Gordon said he couldn't. It wouldn't be the first time a guy got cut for that reason.

I don't understand the attraction with this guy. You'd think it was 2014 and we're looking at his one-off 2013 numbers. Maybe he needs the smoke for his football mind-set. Who knows. It's a matter best left to the Dolphins or Jets of the world who might find a need for some twitter traction to sell a couple of tickets. Or the trade-happy Rams scratching around for an elusive personnel formula.

Last edited by a moderator:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not a complete wide receiver yet, and he may never be, but for now I'm not complaining. It's that black and white thing again. Complete wide receivers, if they are not saddled with a bad QB, get in the Pro Bowl / top 10 conversation. There are not many of those so why expect it?

I wouldn't read more than what's there with Gordon. I just assume he was not "doing his job", as the Belichick mantra goes, and that gets you a one-way ticket out of New England. It could be as simple as Belichick thought his knee was not so bad he couldn't play and Gordon said he couldn't. It wouldn't be the first time a guy cut for that reason.

I don't understand the attraction with this guy. You'd think it was 2014 and we're looking at his one-off 2013 numbers. Maybe he needs the smoke for his football mind-set. Who knows. It's a matter best left to the Dolphins or Jets of the world who might find a need for some twitter traction to sell a couple of tickets. Or the trade-happy Rams scratching around for an elusive personnel formula.

Definitely possible. Just saying it's worth asking the question and the possibility that there might be more to it shouldnt be immediately dismissed

The attraction is based more off our current WR situation. Even though Gordon hasnt been near the same player he once was hes still easily better then anyone we got past Adams and MVS (even this version of Gordon is still better then Lazard/Kumerow) and would argue hes worth bringing in should he get to us in waivers based on that considering itd be a "free" look

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd take him as a FA, not off waivers. Why let BB off the hook for the salary cap? They're tight up against it to start with.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I have little doubt that Gordon will be picked up today, but it will be way before the Packers have a shot at him (28th/29th priority?).

I predict the Dolphins, who have #1 priority on waivers, snap him up.

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think MVS is doing fine for his second year, I'm just worried he will never be a complete WR. He kind of puts me in the mind of a Dez Bryant or Marquise Goodwin who have been called one trick ponies just running deep routes. If that's his calling card, we'll need someone in addition to Adams to allow him to excel. That SHOULD be Allison, but as I've mentioned previously coming back from the ACL you have to give him a 1.5 to really bounce back. Granted 2013-2014 Josh Gordon I'd love to have, the reality is in his current form he's still a veteran WR who can make plays at every level of the route tree. That's something we don't consistently have sans Adams.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think MVS is doing fine for his second year, I'm just worried he will never be a complete WR. He kind of puts me in the mind of a Dez Bryant or Marquise Goodwin who have been called one trick ponies just running deep routes. If that's his calling card, we'll need someone in addition to Adams to allow him to excel. That SHOULD be Allison, but as I've mentioned previously coming back from the ACL you have to give him a 1.5 to really bounce back. Granted 2013-2014 Josh Gordon I'd love to have, the reality is in his current form he's still a veteran WR who can make plays at every level of the route tree. That's something we don't consistently have sans Adams.

Dez Bryant, a one trick pony just running deep routes?

Did you ever watch Dez play? Because that wasn't his game.

I'm assuming you meant Martavis Bryant.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That SHOULD be Allison, but as I've mentioned previously coming back from the ACL you have to give him a 1.5 to really bounce back.

Allison didn't have an ACL, he tore his adductor muscle.

I hope I am wrong, but I don't see a big future in Allison. Glad the Packers only signed him for one year, but would have preferred that they didn't and gone out and signed/drafted a bonafide slot WR before the season started.