Jordy retiring , or not??

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since we're on this topic regarding older players there is one receiver I'd like for the Packers to recruit, in spite of his age. Larry Fitzgerald. I believe that guy can still play at a high level, and his intellect is highly underrated. Just imagine how well he would do with Arodg, and I believe the two of them are good friends. Next year The Packers should make an attempt to recruit him.

If Fitz hasn't bailed on the Cardinals yet I doubt he will ever do so. If the Cardinals don't want him I bet anything he will retire.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Since we're on this topic regarding older players there is one receiver I'd like for the Packers to recruit, in spite of his age. Larry Fitzgerald. I believe that guy can still play at a high level, and his intellect is highly underrated. Just imagine how well he would do with Arodg, and I believe the two of them are good friends. Next year The Packers should make an attempt to recruit him.

Before the season starts next year, Fitz will turn 36. I would have loved to have had him his entire career, but I agree with Schind, he isn't going anywhere else and he stated that himself last year.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...tirement-says-he-will-only-play-for-cardinals

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked Cook but if you want to pay him like a god for one catch, that's a bit far fetched imo. He played 10 games and had 377 yards with one receiving TD that regular season, not to mention a fumble. Meanwhile Bennett had 701 yards and 7 TD during 2016 while playing all 16 games with similar numbers with the Bears and Giants (he had nearly 1,000 yards in 2014).
I still say Cook deserved to be resigned. This is getting into intangibles, but he "felt" like a Packer. Obviously Bennett turned out not to.
Rodgers also spoke out in favor of keeping him, said he "needs to be near the top of the priority list" (0:58).
He wasn't speaking from hindsight:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay...odgers-Home-field-advantage-would-have-helped

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I still say Cook deserved to be resigned. This is getting into intangibles, but he "felt" like a Packer. Obviously Bennett turned out not to.
Rodgers also spoke out in favor of keeping him, said he "needs to be near the top of the priority list" (0:58).
He wasn't speaking from hindsight:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay...odgers-Home-field-advantage-would-have-helped

No doubt you are correct, after the fact. Again, you have to look at the known facts when the decision was made.
  1. Cook wanted more money than the Packers wanted to pay him. Although he signed with the Raider for $5.3M/year, I remember reading his asking was closer to $7M.
  2. Cook and Bennett are approximately the same age.
  3. Bennett's 2016 Numbers were a lot more impressive than Cooks.
  • Bennett: 16 games 55 receptions, 701 yds., 12.7 ave/catch, 7 TD's
  • Cook: 10 Games, 30 receptions, 377 yds. 12.6 ave/catch, 1 TD
I think most people at the time thought the Packers were getting the better player in Bennett, turned out that they didn't.

D

Deleted member 6794

Who knows, maybe IF Jordy does retire, IS cut by the Raiders AND the Packers can get him off waivers, he could be back.

Appears the Packers are working out some Free Agent WR's, so I assume that there is a need and this doesn't appear to be good news about getting Cobb back anytime soon.

The Packers could activate Kumerow from injured reserve if they feel the need to add another receiver.

Not saying that wouldn't be different had he remained a Packer and had AR as his QB, but he seemed to be a bit checked out last year when the Packers season spun out of control too and at 4-5-1 it isn't like the Packers season is looking outstanding either.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, the Packers are currently 4-4-1.

Agreed. As a matter of fact, I don't remember much complaining here when all of that went down. I think most of us thought Cook wanted too much money and Bennett was the better of the 2 and we got him for less. As it turns out, it was the wrong move after the fact, but the right move before the fact.

I remember several posters complaining about the Packers not re-signing Cook.

It's evident that gute picked Cobb over Jordy. It's clear now that he should have picked nelson I and a lot of us thought that should have been clear at the time. The correct move would have been to trade or release Cobb for the cap savings.

I highly doubt another team would have been interested in trading for Cobb. Taking a look at how the season has unfolded so far the Packers would most likely have been better off moving on from both Cobb and Nelson.

Not to take this thread further off topic. I liked Cook but if you want to pay him like a god for one catch, that's a bit far fetched imo. He played 10 games and had 377 yards with one receiving TD that regular season, not to mention a fumble. Meanwhile Bennett had 701 yards and 7 TD during 2016 while playing all 16 games with similar numbers with the Bears and Giants (he had nearly 1,000 yards in 2014). It was the correct call at the time, though admittedly, Cook has been one for the few bright spots for Oakland.

No doubt you are correct, after the fact. Again, you have to look at the known facts when the decision was made.
  1. Cook wanted more money than the Packers wanted to pay him. Although he signed with the Raider for $5.3M/year, I remember reading his asking was closer to $7M.
I think most people at the time thought the Packers were getting the better player in Bennett, turned out that they didn't.

Cook deserved to be re-signed after catching 18 balls for 229 yards and two touchdowns in three playoff games with the Packers in 2016, including the unbelieveable one setting up Crosby's game winner at Dallas.

It was a mistake by Thompson not bringing him back.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think most non packer fans would agree that Bennett was the better player of the two however he was not the better person and that matters. Bennett was a headcase and everybody knew it that's why he wore out his welcome pretty quick everywhere he's been in the league. And that information was definitely know to the Packers front office when they made the decision. I'm sure they thought they could handle him better than other teams or something but they were wrong and it cost em cook. Now as for cook, I don't think he's that good either, so I'm not real hung up on him being gone. I think it's time to draft another Jermichael Finley type high

D

Deleted member 6794

I think most non packer fans would agree that Bennett was the better player of the two however he was not the better person and that matters. Bennett was a headcase and everybody knew it that's why he wore out his welcome pretty quick everywhere he's been in the league. And that information was definitely know to the Packers front office when they made the decision. I'm sure they thought they could handle him better than other teams or something but they were wrong and it cost em cook. Now as for cook, I don't think he's that good either, so I'm not real hung up on him being gone. I think it's time to draft another Jermichael Finley type high

To be fair there wasn't any indication Bennett might quit on the team in the middle of the season at the point the Packers signed him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Whoa, whoa, whoa, the Packers are currently 4-4-1.

Ooops, thanks for correcting me on my saying 4-5-1, I hope I wasn't being Nostradamus with that!

I remember several posters complaining about the Packers not re-signing Cook.
I was actually one of those Posters that was disappointed that Cook wasn't resigned. However, I was referring to the mood of most over the entire situation once Bennett was signed instead.

Again, I think we about beat this to death last year but in hind site it was a big mistake to choose Bennett over Cook. But at the time, about the only thing that would have stopped me from liking that move is either a crystal ball or as thequick12 points out, I thought there was a big question with Bennett's character, but his stats from previous years were hard to ignore.

Now I'm waiting for someone to blame Bennett for Rodgers shoulder injury, since he dropped the pass Rodgers threw before he got mauled by Anthony Barr. :coffee:

D

Deleted member 6794

I was actually one of those Posters that was disappointed that Cook wasn't resigned. However, I was referring to the mood of most over the entire situation once Bennett was signed instead.

I was disappointed when the Packers decided to let Cook leave in free agency last offseason but thought Thompson improved the position by signing Bennett as well. Unfortunately everyone was wrong about it.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb's contract is up at the end of this season, so no release needed. Much like a lot of Vets, I would be fine bringing Cobb back at a contract that reflects his current skills and capabilities, but with how good MVS is looking and if EQ keeps improving, there probably won't be a need to resign him.
Thanks for the info. I am honestly not the best with keeping up with contracts. I suppose I can blame that on lack of effort as the info is readily available. I will just call it laziness. Ha! If 18 came back at a GREATLY reduced salary I would be alright with it. He has his moments but isn't getting any younger and I would love for the young guys to get more reps moving forward. This group includes Kumerow who I still can't wait to see get some live action.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was disappointed when the Packers decided to let Cook leave in free agency last offseason but thought Thompson improved the position by signing Bennett as well. Unfortunately everyone was wrong about it.

Agreed and so far, it looks like the Graham/Lewis signing might not be the exact answer either, at least for what they paid Graham. I'm still optimistic that Graham and Rodgers will continue to get in sync, but it appears the Bears grabbing Trey Burton might have been the better and cheaper way to go.

Someday the Packers will have the TE position fully figured out. :D

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed and so far, it looks like the Graham/Lewis signing might not be the exact answer either, at least for what they paid Graham. I'm still optimistic that Graham and Rodgers will continue to get in sync, but it appears the Bears grabbing Trey Burton might have been the better and cheaper way to go.

There's no doubt the Packers overpaid for Graham if he doesn't improve the rest of the season. It's especially disappointed he hasn't been able to provide a target for Rodgers in the red zone.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt the Packers overpaid for Graham if he doesn't improve the rest of the season. It's especially disappointed he hasn't been able to provide a target for Rodgers in the red zone.

Couldn't even win a 1v1 matchup in the endzone against a short DB in the Pats game. I couldn't believe that. Dude you're 6'7", you gotta pull those in.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

He is catching on pace for 58 and really good yardage... I have a feeling td will come in spurts .

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-11-15-12-13-14.png
    Screenshot_2018-11-15-12-13-14.png
    176.8 KB · Views: 54

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He is catching on pace for 58 and really good yardage... I have a feeling td will come in spurts .

I agree, Graham isn't as bad as some are wanting to paint him out to be, but its hard to say with a straight face that so far, he was worth the money he got. Hopefully, these first 9 games were much like AR and Cook had, a "getting to know you" phase and the best is yet to come.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I agree, Graham isn't as bad as some are wanting to paint him out to be, but its hard to say with a straight face that so far, he was worth the money he got. Hopefully, these first 9 games were much like AR and Cook had, a "getting to know you" phase and the best is yet to come.
Even with production that many aren't happy with, he still garners attention in the middle of the field that, at times, makes things easier for our outside guys. Belichick was doubling him at times in the red zone a couple weeks ago and there have been other instances of this happening.

Regardless of whether he's the one actually making the play, I think he's making a difference. I would shudder to think what this offense would look like if you had say Richard Rodgers at TE. Repeat of 2015 comes to mind.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cook deserved to be re-signed after catching 18 balls for 229 yards and two touchdowns in three playoff games with the Packers in 2016, including the unbelieveable one setting up Crosby's game winner at Dallas.

It was a mistake by Thompson not bringing him back.

He deserved to be resigned, sure. And if Bennett wasn't available I have to imagine he would have been. But without knowing the outcome, and based on the production, Bennett was the correct signing. He was a probowler in 2014.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I'm waiting for someone to blame Bennett for Rodgers shoulder injury, since he dropped the pass Rodgers threw before he got mauled by Anthony Barr. :coffee:

On another site there is a discussion going on about the Packers being right about not resigning TJ lang in light of his being placed on IR by the Lions. My point was that we can never know if he would have been injured in Green Bay and I pointed out how one play turning out differently prior to an injury could change that injury. Now I am not blaming MB for Rodgers' injury BUT, had he made that catch maybe the injury doesn't happen. On the other hand if he does make that catch maybe on the next play he Rodgers is sacked and incurs a career ending injury rather than just a season ending one so maybe we should all be thanking MB for not catching that pass. Besides that Aaron Jones only gained 1 yard on the first and 10 run on the play immediately before that. Had he been running like he did last week ...?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've been trying to figure it out on my fantasy teams for 20 years and I'm still working on it. I don't think I've ever gone through a season where I didn't start at least 4 different TEs. Sometimes because of injury but mostly because I wait to long and the guys I draft suck and there is never anyone else to pick up. I blame that on the fact that everyone in my league keeps two freaking TE's on their roster. Who does that?

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gutekunst offering Nelson only a contract close to the veteran minimum this offseason strongly indicates he wouldn't be interested in bringing him back even if the Raiders release him.

I loved Jordy as a Packer. He was a great player and high character guy. That said, I was glad when they let Jordy walk and I hope they don't re-sign him. Sadly, father time always wins and I believe he's finished. Let the youngsters play. Whenever the time comes, he'll retire as a Packer.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure it out on my fantasy teams for 20 years and I'm still working on it. I don't think I've ever gone through a season where I didn't start at least 4 different TEs. Sometimes because of injury but mostly because I wait to long and the guys I draft suck and there is never anyone else to pick up. I blame that on the fact that everyone in my league keeps two freaking TE's on their roster. Who does that?

Well if you want to look really smart, just wait until the season is over and then tell everybody...who you would have had on your FF Team ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
On another site there is a discussion going on about the Packers being right about not resigning TJ lang in light of his being placed on IR by the Lions. My point was that we can never know if he would have been injured in Green Bay and I pointed out how one play turning out differently prior to an injury could change that injury. Now I am not blaming MB for Rodgers' injury BUT, had he made that catch maybe the injury doesn't happen. On the other hand if he does make that catch maybe on the next play he Rodgers is sacked and incurs a career ending injury rather than just a season ending one so maybe we should all be thanking MB for not catching that pass. Besides that Aaron Jones only gained 1 yard on the first and 10 run on the play immediately before that. Had he been running like he did last week ...?

I think Rodgers was probably well on his way to the ground by the time Butter Fingers Bennett let that pass slip through his money hungry hands. ;)

But yes, I fully agree that you really can't say "oh this guy got injured, glad we didn't sign him" or even "that guy had a GREAT season, we should have signed him". How do we know he doesn't get injured on his first play in Green and Gold or he just doesn't play that well with the other 52 guys on the Packers or.........

Members online

Latest posts