Jordy retiring , or not??

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's crazy if he does indeed retire. He doesn't seem like the type of dude to quit in middle of the season. If the raiders were to release him I'd say yeah sign him for the rest of the year to replace Cobb in the slot. I thought they should of went with nelson in the slot over Cobb to begin with as I think he is still the better player despite being 4 years older

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is kind of odd to leave in the middle of the season like that. Poor Jordy, walking into that mess in Oakland though. He probably saw the writing on the wall with the Jon Gruden fire sale going on.

That article makes it sound like Jordy really wanted to stay in Green Bay, and would have taken a reasonable offer to stay.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a Raider at least till the end of the year, retired or not. and I don't want Rodgers spending the next 4 weeks getting on the same page as his old friend, as good as they were together, because that is only going to hurt this team. Thanks for the memories Jordy, it was a nice ride.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm Jordy isnt the type of guy who would just quit mid season. There has to be a super mess of a locker room in Oakland.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It'd be similar to when James Jones came back...

I don't want Cobb or Allison back so AR could have

Adams
MVS
ESB
Jordy

Which I would be fine with honestly

D

Deleted member 6794

Gutekunst offering Nelson only a contract close to the veteran minimum this offseason strongly indicates he wouldn't be interested in bringing him back even if the Raiders release him.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I can appreciate the Jordy love Fest, he's done. Has anybody followed in this year? Again, he's done. He was done last year. Letting him go was the right thing to do. Maybe it could have been handled better but it was the right move.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raiders are so bad they broke Jordy.
and he was unbreakable. the raiders are a toilet now. mark davis is setting Reggie McKensie up as the reason for it and it's total BS.

if we were real contenders you might want to think about trading a 7th for him (or picking him up if oak release their rights) but since we're not...

Last edited:

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I can appreciate the Jordy love Fest, he's done. Has anybody followed in this year? Again, he's done. He was done last year. Letting him go was the right thing to do. Maybe it could have been handled better but it was the right move.

Of course the inevitable question becomes, was Jordy really that good for us or did AR inflate his numbers. I know Jordy is late in his career, but similar to James Jones and Greg Jennings, hard to believe its coincidence.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Jones had one of his better years with a 1st or 2nd year QB on another team. Greg Jennings and Jordy both helped Rodgers as much as he helped them. Jennings and all of his YAC yards, so smooth catching short and running far. Jordy and his back shoulder, perfect breaks on routes, etc. and then his long speed on the play action. Rodgers didn't get these numbers all on his own. Greg never had a QB until he was pretty much done that could throw it anywhere other than at his feet and Jordy is on a team that is imploding.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It'd be similar to when James Jones came back...

I don't want Cobb or Allison back so AR could have

Adams
MVS
ESB
Jordy

Which I would be fine with honestly

Allison will be back, Jordy will not be back (as a player).

In 2018, in 9 games, Nelson had: 39 targets, 25 receptions, 353 yards, averaged 14.1 YPC, and 3 touchdowns. His cap # is $7,368,750, with 6.5 million dead cap.

In 2018, in 5 games, Allison had: 30 targets, 20 receptions, 303 yards, averaged 15.2 YPC, and 2 touchdowns. His cap # is $630,000 with zero dead cap.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11270/jordy-nelson

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/jordy-nelson-4999/

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3115913/geronimo-allison

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/geronimo-allison-19447/

Those are the numbers, and the NFL is a business. This one's a slam dunk.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As someone who wanted Jordy to be resigned by the Packers and questioned Gute's decision at the time, I have to think that maybe Gute and the Packers saw something to indicate that Jordy really didn't have his heart and mind fully in the game anymore. Now this may have just happened due to him being in Oakland and had he stayed in GB it wouldn't be on the table, but I have to leave open the idea that the Packers "saw this coming".

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He's a Raider at least till the end of the year, retired or not. and I don't want Rodgers spending the next 4 weeks getting on the same page as his old friend, as good as they were together, because that is only going to hurt this team. Thanks for the memories Jordy, it was a nice ride.

Only way Jordy becomes a Packer this season is if the Raiders actually cut him and he then resigns with the Packers. Now the only way I see the Packers wanting him back, is if they have a rash of injuries at WR. With Allison out and Cobb hurt again, who knows. But honestly, if the Packers were in the playoff hunt, I would take Jordy back over most of the other options out there. He is probably in shape, he and AR are very familiar with each other and it wouldn't be that much different than had he missed the first half of the season with an injury.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As someone who wanted Jordy to be resigned by the Packers and questioned Gute's decision at the time, I have to think that maybe Gute and the Packers saw something to indicate that Jordy really didn't have his heart and mind fully in the game anymore. Now this may have just happened due to him being in Oakland and had he stayed in GB it wouldn't be on the table, but I have to leave open the idea that the Packers "saw this coming".
I don’t know about his heart, but I don’t think he ever truly recovered after the ACL injury. Yes he still found a way to be productive due to his intelligence ant talent, but his age combined with injury took some of his long speed away. He probably could have still done alright this year with Green Bay due to his familiarity with the offense and his rapport with Rodgers, but I do think it was time to bring the younger guys in and give them the playing time they needed to excel.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don’t know about his heart, but I don’t think he ever truly recovered after the ACL injury. Yes he still found a way to be productive due to his intelligence ant talent, but his age combined with injury took some of his long speed away. He probably could have still done alright this year with Green Bay due to his familiarity with the offense and his rapport with Rodgers, but I do think it was time to bring the younger guys in and give them the playing time they needed to excel.

Agree with most of this, but if the Packers were in the Playoffs and Adams, Allison and Cobb were hurt, who would you rather have on the field....... MVS, EQ , Moore and Davis or MVS, EQ, Moore and Jordy? I guess Janis is available too. ;)

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with most of this, but if the Packers were in the Playoffs and Adams, Allison and Cobb were hurt, who would you rather have on the field....... MVS, EQ , Moore and Davis or MVS, EQ, Moore and Jordy? I guess Janis is available too. ;)
Oh Janis for sure ... don’t forget about the cardinals lol. Of course I’d like Jordy there too;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Add this to the long list of items that I am sure Raider fans have probably burned their fan boards down discussing this season. Chucky might want to go back to making horror movies!

Over the past 5 weeks, Jordy Nelson ranks (tied) 103rd among all WRs with 5 catches, and is tied for 125th with 36 yards receiving. Nelson's cap hit of nearly $7.4 million is 22nd highest among all WRs this season per http://overthecap.com

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts