Jordy retiring , or not??

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who knows, maybe IF Jordy does retire, IS cut by the Raiders AND the Packers can get him off waivers, he could be back.

Appears the Packers are working out some Free Agent WR's, so I assume that there is a need and this doesn't appear to be good news about getting Cobb back anytime soon.

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay...-work-out-KJ-Brent-DeAndrew-White--124678544/

Edit: After looking up information on both of the guys the Packers are working out, I can't imagine the Packers are looking at them as PS players at best. White has barely seen an NFL field since being an UDFA out of Alabama in 2015 and Brent was an UDFA out of Wake Forest in 2016 and has never played in a regular season game.

Maybe Gute had some Frequent Flyer miles and hotel vouchers he had to use up?
It also doesn’t bode well for how they feel Moore is developing.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Who knows, maybe IF Jordy does retire, IS cut by the Raiders AND the Packers can get him off waivers, he could be back.

Appears the Packers are working out some Free Agent WR's, so I assume that there is a need and this doesn't appear to be good news about getting Cobb back anytime soon.

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay...-work-out-KJ-Brent-DeAndrew-White--124678544/

Edit: After looking up information on both of the guys the Packers are working out, I can't imagine the Packers are looking at them as PS players at best. White has barely seen an NFL field since being an UDFA out of Alabama in 2015 and Brent was an UDFA out of Wake Forest in 2016 and has never played in a regular season game.

Maybe Gute had some Frequent Flyer miles and hotel vouchers he had to use up?
Even doing the 90s and the 2 SBs they brought in players. Even for the defense . I wouldn't make anything out of this

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Letting Jordy go is looking more and more foolish by the minute.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Letting Jordy go is looking more and more foolish by the minute.
I am a big Jordy fan, but I would say reworking his contract to what the Raiders signed him for might have been foolish. While he had one good game this year against the Dolphins he has somewhat struggled and is fighting injuries. If this report of him wanting to retire has any merit, kind of shows you where his mind and Football are right now. Not saying that wouldn't be different had he remained a Packer and had AR as his QB, but he seemed to be a bit checked out last year when the Packers season spun out of control too and at 4-5-1 it isn't like the Packers season is looking outstanding either.

I like what we are seeing of MVS and had Jordy been retained, I doubt we draft all 3 of those WR's, nor would any of them probably be getting many meaningful snaps. Hate to admit it, but it was probably time to move on from Jordy and into the future.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a transition year. Letting Jordy go was the right move. We need to see what we have and any old WR keeping MVS or st. Brown off the field right now better be a game changer. Jordy is not, and in retrospect, they could have gone without Cobb too. 10 million to win the bears game. he's a bear killer. I guess if makes it back for the 2nd one and delivers a dagger again good for him, but that's a pricey bear. It's like going fishing to save money on food so you buy a truck to tow your new boat so you can fish with your 2K in fishing reels and tackle LOL

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's a transition year. Letting Jordy go was the right move. We need to see what we have and any old WR keeping MVS or st. Brown off the field right now better be a game changer. Jordy is not, and in retrospect, they could have gone without Cobb too. 10 million to win the bears game. he's a bear killer. I guess if makes it back for the 2nd one and delivers a dagger again good for him, but that's a pricey bear. It's like going fishing to save money on food so you buy a truck to tow your new boat so you can fish with your 2K in fishing reels and tackle LOL

Yes...but landing that 15 lb carp......Priceless!

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That irritated me also, for several reasons. I thought Cook had earned his place on the team, not only with his play in general, but for catching that pass at the end of the game, that helped us beat Dallas to advance to the NFCCG. Instead, Ted signed Martellus Bennett, who turned out to be not only not that good, but also a quitter. It's appropriate Ted lost his position the following offseason.

Hindsight is 20/20. Bennett, in theory, was an upgrade and if memory serves, both were seeking similar pay. Bennett may have even been less.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20. Bennett, in theory, was an upgrade and iirc, and if memory serves, both were seeking similar pay. Bennett may have even been less.

Agreed. As a matter of fact, I don't remember much complaining here when all of that went down. I think most of us thought Cook wanted too much money and Bennett was the better of the 2 and we got him for less. As it turns out, it was the wrong move after the fact, but the right move before the fact.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not saying that wouldn't be different had he remained a Packer and had AR as his QB, but he seemed to be a bit checked out last year when the Packers season spun out of control too and at 4-5-1 it isn't like the Packers season is looking outstanding either.
I would check out too if I had Hundley throwing passes that weren't anywhere near me. Let's not forgot prior to Rodgers going down Jordy I believe was leading the NFL, if not the Packers team in touchdowns. I'm happy that we've seen the emergence of MVS as that dude is a keeper, but jury is out on the others still. And if it hadn't been for the injuries regarding Cobb and Allison we probably wouldn't have known who we had with the receivers and as of right now who is better of the 3 right now? The Packers if I'm not mistaken didn't even bother to give Jordy an chance to restructure if I'm not mistaken. And one thing Jordy is good at, it's adjusting and route running, especially in the red zone.

That's just my thoughts though. I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I still wish we had kept him for at least one more year. His IQ is also something that was highly underrated about him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked Jordy too, a lot. Even played Tippy cup with his dad on my team at a tailgate in MN, but re-structuring would have only prolonged the hurt for us. I'd rather have just paid him for another year than push the cap hit out further.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough. I guess I'm bummed out because Jordy was my favorite player on the Packers team, after Woodson and Driver left. And I feel he still had another year or two left in the tank.

He was the security blanket Rodgers could always go to to make a play.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I liked Jordy too, a lot. Even played Tippy cup with his dad on my team at a tailgate in MN, but re-structuring would have only prolonged the hurt for us. I'd rather have just paid him for another year than push the cap hit out further.

Agreed and you point out something that is lost in the shuffle here. Reworking Jordy's contract on the Packers end was probably "here is a one year, near veterans deal, take it or bye". Whereas the contract he signed with the Raiders was 2 year $14.2 M deal. Any agent worth his salt isn't going to advise Jordy to sign a one year low ball deal with the Packers. So it would make sense that had Jordy agreed to stay it would have been for a lot more money than the Packers were offering and possibly multiple years.

Love Jordy for all that he did while in Green Bay, have no doubt he will be in the Packer HOF and wish him the best in life, but I'm over the fact that his contract was not reworked to keep him in GB any longer.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
*taps Mic* I would like to dedicate this one to Do7

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough. I guess I'm bummed out because Jordy was my favorite player on the Packers team, after Woodson and Driver left. And I feel he still had another year or two left in the tank.

He was the security blanket Rodgers could always go to to make a play.
I'm with that way. He was a great man to have in the community and a great player to have on the field. He was one of my favorites. I was hoping he'd have more success with the Raiders, but life goes on and it's not his time here anymore.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20. Bennett, in theory, was an upgrade and if memory serves, both were seeking similar pay. Bennett may have even been less.
It isn't hindsight to say that Cook had earned a place on the team, or that I was annoyed when they did not resign him.
Although it is true I was excited about Bennett. No one expected what happened with him, and he and Cook were different types of players.
Doesn't change the fact that Ted made a mistake.

I think it's been demonstrated that when it comes to free agents, a player's performance with one team isn't necessarily indicative of their performance with their new team.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's evident that gute picked Cobb over Jordy. It's clear now that he should have picked nelson I and a lot of us thought that should have been clear at the time. The correct move would have been to trade or release Cobb for the cap savings. And then also restructure jordys contract. He would of taken less than the 7.5 million he got from the Raiders to stay in GB. In fact according to James Jones he almost took the 1.2 million that the Packers offered him. In that scenario you would have saved a lot more cap space. Jordy would have played here for 5 million. And you would still have the better and healthier of the 2 players making some clitch plays to win games. Even primarily out the slot Jordy would have been key on short quick routes to get first downs also those sideline grabs have sure been missed

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It isn't hindsight to say that Cook had earned a place on the team, or that I was annoyed when they did not resign him.
Although it is true I was excited about Bennett. No one expected what happened with him, and he and Cook were different types of players.
Doesn't change the fact that Ted made a mistake.

I think it's been demonstrated that when it comes to free agents, a player's performance with one team isn't necessarily indicative of their performance with their new team.

Not to take this thread further off topic. I liked Cook but if you want to pay him like a god for one catch, that's a bit far fetched imo. He played 10 games and had 377 yards with one receiving TD that regular season, not to mention a fumble. Meanwhile Bennett had 701 yards and 7 TD during 2016 while playing all 16 games with similar numbers with the Bears and Giants (he had nearly 1,000 yards in 2014). It was the correct call at the time, though admittedly, Cook has been one for the few bright spots for Oakland.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bring 87 in and give him the old one day contract. Cobb is as good as gone in my eyes. With the youngsters we have on the team and the cap relief his release would provide it is looking more and more like this will be his last season in GB. I had really high hopes for 18 this year and he started things off with a bang vs CHI. Since then it's been nada and I am not overly confident that changes much over the remainder of the season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bring 87 in and give him the old one day contract. Cobb is as good as gone in my eyes. With the youngsters we have on the team and the cap relief his release would provide it is looking more and more like this will be his last season in GB. I had really high hopes for 18 this year and he started things off with a bang vs CHI. Since then it's been nada and I am not overly confident that changes much over the remainder of the season.

Cobb's contract is up at the end of this season, so no release needed. Much like a lot of Vets, I would be fine bringing Cobb back at a contract that reflects his current skills and capabilities, but with how good MVS is looking and if EQ keeps improving, there probably won't be a need to resign him.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm completely against bringing back Matthews and Cobb next season at any price. All they're going to be is another year older. It ain't going to get any better. Don't waste roster spaces and cap space anymore.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm completely against bringing back Matthews and Cobb next season at any price. All they're going to be is another year older. It ain't going to get any better. Don't waste roster spaces and cap space anymore.
Since we're on this topic regarding older players there is one receiver I'd like for the Packers to recruit, in spite of his age. Larry Fitzgerald. I believe that guy can still play at a high level, and his intellect is highly underrated. Just imagine how well he would do with Arodg, and I believe the two of them are good friends. Next year The Packers should make an attempt to recruit him.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's evident that gute picked Cobb over Jordy. It's clear now that he should have picked nelson I and a lot of us thought that should have been clear at the time. The correct move would have been to trade or release Cobb for the cap savings. And then also restructure jordys contract. He would of taken less than the 7.5 million he got from the Raiders to stay in GB. In fact according to James Jones he almost took the 1.2 million that the Packers offered him. In that scenario you would have saved a lot more cap space. Jordy would have played here for 5 million. And you would still have the better and healthier of the 2 players making some clitch plays to win games. Even primarily out the slot Jordy would have been key on short quick routes to get first downs also those sideline grabs have sure been missed

While it is true Cobb hasn't done much for us this year (except help beat the Bears) Nelson has not done much for the Raiders either and there is absolutely no way to say that he would have done any more with us. The only factual statement you made was your first sentence about Gute picking Cobb over Nelson and MAYBE the one about him almost taking the 1.2 million as reported by Jones. It is pure speculation and nothing more than your opinion that the Packers would have done any better with Nelson than they did with Cobb and yet you state it as if it is a know fact.

Members online

Latest posts