Jordy Nelson injury

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, but any half-competent trainer would have no trouble detecting a Grade 3 and if they detected one, they wouldn't have let him walk to the locker room like that. I'm still banking on a low to moderate severity Grade 2 at this point. Here's hoping...

unless someone here actually is a doctor, correct me if i am wrong but there is no grades of an acl tear. either its torn of not. i am no way the specimen jordy is but when i tore my acl 5 months ago i was not hobbling and making my way across a field like he did. again im not doctor but i did stay at a holiday inn last night. i figured i would share my 2 cents and give ya'all some optimism.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
unless someone here actually is a doctor, correct me if i am wrong but there is no grades of an acl tear. either its torn of not. i am no way the specimen jordy is but when i tore my acl 5 months ago i was not hobbling and making my way across a field like he did. again im not doctor but i did stay at a holiday inn last night. i figured i would share my 2 cents and give ya'all some optimism.

There are grades of strains. Grade 1 is basically just overstretched briefly. Grade 2 is a partial tear. Grade 3 is completely torn.

Also, it's common for people to be able to walk fine with a complete tear. Many people not in athletics will not have a surgery to repair it and function just fine.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There are grades. You can even have a partial tear.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Next man up. Jordy can't be replaced but now is the time that guys ask for. Just give me a chance to show what I can do. Here's your chance. Show us what u can do

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, but any half-competent trainer would have no trouble detecting a Grade 3 and if they detected one, they wouldn't have let him walk to the locker room like that. I'm still banking on a low to moderate severity Grade 2 at this point. Here's hoping...

If it's already torn, walking on it won't make it worse.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bu walking on it can be very very painful. I've seen people with Grade 3's down on the ground writhing in agony before. Jordy wasn't acting like a man who was seriously injured.

Some people injure differently.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bu walking on it can be very very painful. I've seen people with Grade 3's down on the ground writhing in agony before. Jordy wasn't acting like a man who was seriously injured.

Some people injure differently.

Yeah some people injure differently, just pointing out to GoPGo that walking around right after isn't a big deal.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis had a drop during yesterday's game on a ball he absolutely has to catch if he wants to get on the field with Rodgers as well as terrible awareness on where he was on the overturned play.

He ran out of room. That happens to everyone.

Janis has shown some improvement over last preseason but I don't know if he has taken enough of a step to get significant playing time.

I disagree. If he hasn't earned PT, who has? White? Montgomery? Fact of the matter is all 3 of those guys are going to see time, but when it comes to the role of the big WR with the speed to stretch the field, only one of those guys has the tools to fill that role.

BTW last week you harshly criticized White for dropping a difficult ball and now you're claiming yesterday's drop wasn't Janis' fault.

Look again. I repeatedly said while it was a drop, it wasn't much to be concerned about due to the high difficulty, so no, I did not harshly criticize White on that play. Here's a direct quote to refresh your memory:

"White dropped the pass. Subjectively, you can argue from there whether the drop was worth being concerned over. I don't think it was."

Here's the link

I don't know the reasons behind you being so supportive of him but other posters have repeatedly gotten annoyed by the different standards you use for whatever reason to evaluate him compared to other receivers.

I'm not using a different standard. See above. One reason I've been supportive of him is due to his high potential. Another reason is when a player is harshly criticized for reasons that make no sense, I'm going to rebut that.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a major question mark whether Janis has the mental part of the Packers playbook figured out. While Rodgers accepts some physical mistakes from time to time he won't trust anyone constantly dropping passes like Janis did yesterday.

What about White and Montgomery's mental lapses? You only seem to be critical of Janis. Talk about double standards.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't jump the gun on Aaron not trusting people over drops. James Jones, Jermichael Finely, Jordy Nelson. What do they have in common? They've all gone through spurts of dropped passes..And it didn't necessarily effect Rodgers targets to those players knowing the impact that they could have should he connect with them.
Exactly. And Driver actually dropped more passes than any of the guys you mentioned. The idea that Rodgers refuses to throw to guys who occasionally drops passes or runs the occasional bad route completely ignores that he does that every single game. It's a huge myth that got wings when some nay-sayers jumped on a comment Rodgers made about Janis still needing work. Of course he still needed work. It was half-way through his rookie camp.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And yesterday, Tolzien went to him twice. He dropped what needs to be caught, then on the 2nd opportunity he wasn't aware of where he was on the field. He can't keep doing those things.

He also had back-to-back catches at another point. And Larry McCarren said on the radio that a defender got a finger or two on the drop. Still a drop because it hit him in the hands, but when the path of the ball is altered the difficulty goes up. So much like White's drop on the sideline last week, I don't think either of them are anything to be worried about.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A "torn" ACL is the same thing as a sprained ACL. There are three grades of sprain. Grade 1 involves stretching of the ligament. Grade 2 involves partial tears. Grade 3 involves complete tears. I cannot fathom the Packers training staff allowing him to walk off on a Grade 3 sprain or "tear." Given the lack of any limp when he was walking to the locker room, it would almost have to be a Grade 2 sprain, which has a wide variation in severity. I think he'll be put on the IR eligible to return list.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, but the instability puts the other ligaments of the knee at unnecessary risk and they wouldn't have done that.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think its a full tear either. I think its either a partial tear or just a Grade 1. We'll know more shortly.

OP
OP
TJV

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I understand holding out hope, it's not perfect and foolproof and mistakes can be made, but you're holding onto a lottery ticket.

Last edited:

Voltron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reggie Wayne wont be going to Green Bay, he has agreed to a deal with NE

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Terrible news. This is a serious blow to the offense. I seriously hope Janis can step up and at least produce half of what Jordy can do..

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of holding out (perhaps unreasonable) hope, I’m hoping he’ll be a candidate for the IR with return designation, as referred to (kind of) above.

Even if he took up a roster spot for several games (after his return after game 8) while he continues to rehab, having a shot at his return for the playoffs would be a huge ‘shot in the arm’. I don’t think his previous drop has anything to do with it. If you are saying he should have been trying harder on that play because of the drop, I’d say he should be giving 100% effort on each and every play no matter what happened previously particularly because he hasn’t established himself.

However, I just looked at that play again and my initial impression was wrong. First, he did have plenty of space to drag his left foot. Instead he took a full stride and only about one-half of his left foot was out of bounds. Second, while he did catch the ball away from his body, he didn’t fully stretch out for it – his elbows were at about a 90% angle. (I’m not blaming him for not stretching for the ball – he didn’t have to – I’m just saying what I remembered was incorrect.). Finally if you play it in super slo-mo it looks to me like he bobbled the ball as he was stepping out of bounds. Other than those three things I was spot on. ;)
well of course he should be trying ******* every play. He had 2 opportunities, BOTH very catchable balls by NFL WR's, one might say the first was a 99% catch in the NFL. sometimes players lack concentration, they take their eye off, they do something and when you come back to them, they make sure to right that wrong. He didn't, I think he should have. The fact he didn't only proves to me more that he's nothing more than a 5th or 6th on a team lacking some options. and then he follows it up with a horrendous punting gaffe where by pure luck it didn't end up a Steeler TD. All things that point to him having some talent, but not having "it" when it comes the this level and shows us that reports on him aren't just smoke. His lack of opportunities has mostly been his on doing by not performing thus far, though it seems he's going to get some more because of injury. He can make up for lost time, but he's not going to do it by playing like he did yesterday.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Just going to throw this out there.....if you were TT would you go after James Jones and what would you be willing to give the Giants for him?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just going to throw this out there.....if you were TT would you go after James Jones and what would you be willing to give the Giants for him?
I'd go after James Jones after he was cut, if he was cut. I'm not giving up a draft pick though for a guy cut from one team, and on the bubble for another. I think he'd be better than what we have, but then I think we have plenty of options even if Jordy is not there. There are a lot of ways to call an offense, and while losing Jordy as an impact, nobody can convince me that a qb like Rodgers can't make use of Lacy/Starks tandem, Cobb and Adams and even our 2 TE's need to be nothing more than average TE (though I think Rodgers can be more) and our offense should be just fine.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts