Jordy Nelson injury

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are 3 players in particular that need to step up if Jordy is indeed lost for the season. Adams is the most obvious and if his flashes of brilliance late last year become weekly events the loss will be lessened.

Richard Rodgers is next. Consensus was/is that TE was the "weak" spot in this O. If the Pack can get a significant contribution at TE from RR, defenses won't be able to consistently overload on Adams and Cobb.

And #3 is ARod himself. Yes it's hard for someone that talented to "step up" bi he'll have to channel Tom Brady, and not the one who cheats and lies. Brady has had years when WRs came and went in a revolving door. Yet he produced with names like Edelman and LeFell. If anyone can turn an average wideout into a great one it should be #12. And his leadership and ownership of this team has never been so necessary.

Now it would be nice if the Pack can take advantage of these last two meaningless games to work on the play of ARod and Janis. Janis has the needed height and spied that Nelson possessed. Better to find out now if ARod can come to trust Janis, or not. Yes he plays spotty but shows signs. Give Janis reps with the first team NOW. Cobb and co. will be fine and ready for the Bears. Let's see if ARod can work some Brady magic on Janis.

I would imagine Lacy could see an increased role in the offense as well

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losing a key player in a game that doesn't count for anything in the standings. Maybe this is the issue we should be addressing.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2547806-why-does-the-nfl-still-have-a-preseason

It won't be. Nelson hurt his knee doing something that could of just as easily happened in practice even if he was wearing a red jersey. Injuries happen. Next man up. EVERY team in the league will suffer a blow to their roster like this. It's how you weather the losses that counts.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Panthers are going through the same thing. They lost Kelvin Benjamin.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losing a key player in a game that doesn't count for anything in the standings. Maybe this is the issue we should be addressing.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2547806-why-does-the-nfl-still-have-a-preseason
these arguments are stupid. People get hurt playing football, they are always going to get hurt playing football. Every year teams do all sorts of things to keep star players from getting hurt playing football, and they STILL end up getting hurt playing football.

Major injuries seem to peak early in the year and fall off by the end of the year. So skip preseason, and everyone loses their players in weeks 1-4, they're still gone and now you have no time to shift your offense or defense to account for it and you've already cut all your players and are no scavenging the scrap heaps like a prehistoric dog that hasn't quite befriended man yet.

Football players need to get hit, they need to play at full speed, they need to get in playing condition. Young players need to be evaluated and have opportunity. Putting vets out there in a full speed game from start to finish when they count as their first action of the year is only going to result in more injuries overall. So they won't be in a "preseason" game, BFD, they're still out and probably more of them. Having guys like Jordy or Cobb or Rodgers or Matthews not play in anything meaningful games and then throw them out there against a bunch of guys that are season ready and they're much more likely to go down, just like hold out players sign big contracts, come back and get hurt right away every year in this league.

They have to get in playing shape, some will get hurt along the way.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
these arguments are stupid. People get hurt playing football, they are always going to get hurt playing football. Every year teams do all sorts of things to keep star players from getting hurt playing football, and they STILL end up getting hurt playing football.

Major injuries seem to peak early in the year and fall off by the end of the year. So skip preseason, and everyone loses their players in weeks 1-4, they're still gone and now you have no time to shift your offense or defense to account for it and you've already cut all your players and are no scavenging the scrap heaps like a prehistoric dog that hasn't quite befriended man yet.

Football players need to get hit, they need to play at full speed, they need to get in playing condition. Young players need to be evaluated and have opportunity. Putting vets out there in a full speed game from start to finish when they count as their first action of the year is only going to result in more injuries overall. So they won't be in a "preseason" game, BFD, they're still out and probably more of them. Having guys like Jordy or Cobb or Rodgers or Matthews not play in anything meaningful games and then throw them out there against a bunch of guys that are season ready and they're much more likely to go down, just like hold out players sign big contracts, come back and get hurt right away every year in this league.

They have to get in playing shape, some will get hurt along the way.

Sure players can and do get injured in practice and regular season games and it is the nature of football. They can rack themselves up doing things completely unrelated to football. The point is the NFL doesn't really need preseason to condition players and organize teams. It's a money making scheme for the league clubs, that is to say the owners, so is losing a vital player for the entire year worth that?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure players can and do get injured in practice and regular season games and it is the nature of football. They can rack themselves up doing things completely unrelated to football. The point is the NFL doesn't really need preseason to condition players and organize teams. It's a money making scheme for the league clubs, that is to say the owners, so is losing a vital player for the entire year worth that?
sure it is, according to some guy writing a blog. So, why is it that injuries like this are skewed towards TC and the first couple weeks of games and taper off after the first few weeks of the season? coincidence?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a crap website. I have been to all my Viking forums and have not seen one negative thing about Nelson's injury. Most are wishing that it's not as bad or that if it is, he comes back.

There are good Viking fans, and there are also the other kind of Viking fans. Same is true of any team.

I wouldn't lump them all together.

MichiganSportsTalk

Lions fan for longer than I can remember
Reaction score
Whether or not that is true which I certainly don't agree with, the most important thing to remember is that we have Aaron Rodgers and you do not.

I think what he meant to say was "Both the Lions and Vikings have much better teams than they had back then though".

At least I hope that's what he meant.... Can't really claim to be better than a team you lose to (sometimes multiple times) every year.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
If Jordy is out, #3 WR spot open....highly seasoned veterans named Reggie Wayne and Wes Welker are looking for jobs......this is a no brainer to me, sign one. Review notes from 1996 when two veteran WR's named Don Beebe and Andre Rison helped lead a nicked up WR corp to a SuperBowl victory. If Montgomery or Janis were seasoned, no need, but they aren't.

I think before this injury we all looked at WR as a position of depth, but Nelson's potential season ending injury just exposed the fact that we really aren't that deep. What happens if either Cobb or Adams goes down?
Randy Moss is available. :p

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
IF Jordy is lost for the season, the Packers need to look at themselves and say "are we comfortable with Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, Janis, White? Will we be OK with another injury at the #1 or #2 spot? IMO White is a weak #5, he would easily slide over to the PS, so why not bring in a veteran like Welker, Wayne, Jones (if released by Giants) to add experience and depth to the position? Besides Cobb, the WR position now lacks experience and veteran leadership.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Jones is firmly on the roster bubble in New York with their local paper not expecting him to make the 53.

I'd be all over him if he doesn't. I'd send the Giants a conditional 7th right now just to get him in our camp the last 3 weeks if they're leaning toward cutting him.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather have James Jones than Wayne. Jones knows our offense and he'd be a seamless fit.

D

Deleted member 6794

IF Jordy is lost for the season, the Packers need to look at themselves and say "are we comfortable with Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, Janis, White? Will we be OK with another injury at the #1 or #2 spot? IMO White is a weak #5, he would easily slide over to the PS, so why not bring in a veteran like Welker, Wayne, Jones (if released by Giants) to add experience and depth to the position? Besides Cobb, the WR position now lacks experience and veteran leadership.

White isn´t eligible for the practice squad. I would be in favour of bringing in a veteran but Welker and Wayne are mostly slot receivers the Packers shouldn´t be interested in. On the other hand James Jones is comfortable with the system and has proven he can play outside with Rodgers throwing him the ball, he would be my preferred option.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would imagine Lacy could see an increased role in the offense as well
That's a good point. He's a good receiver and they can get the ball to him underneath coming out of the backfield or as a check down option. This offense can do a lot of things well. I could even see 2 back sets with Lacy and Starks. Oh for the days of the Packers sweep! Jerry Kramer where are you????

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
White isn´t eligible for the practice squad. I would be in favour of bringing in a veteran but Welker and Wayne are mostly slot receivers the Packers shouldn´t be interested in. On the other hand James Jones is comfortable with the system and has proven he can play outside with Rodgers throwing him the ball, he would be my preferred option.
Yeah I was thinking about Welker but he is a slot guy and doesn't have the needed height to play outside. I don't even know if he is available. Jones is the best option if they go outside for talent but he's getting up there in age. I still hope they use these next two games to get Janis more first team reps. We'll find out quickly if he can develop some rhythm with Rodgers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah I was thinking about Welker but he is a slot guy and doesn't have the needed height to play outside. I don't even know if he is available. Jones is the best option if they go outside for talent but he's getting up there in age. I still hope they use these next two games to get Janis more first team reps. We'll find out quickly if he can develop some rhythm with Rodgers.

Janis will for sure get increased practice snaps with Rodgers and a chance to grab that starting spot. I really hope (but not super confident) that he´s capable of producing on the outside against other teams´ top cornerbacks.