Jordy Nelson injury

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Brady has had less than stellar wide receivers to throw to over the last five seasons people tend to forget that having the best tight end in the game helps out a lot.

It seems like Larry Pinkard and Ed Williams (at least according to Bob McGinn) have been the best receivers out of the undrafted ones. Both are a long shot to make the team though.
Thanks. Yes Brady has had incredible TEs, still does. And as someone else pointed out, seems he's always had a pro bowl caliber O line. That accounts for much of his success. And Bellichik (again I'm no fan) is an excellent in-game manager. NE may have won the last SB because Bellichik let the clock run while almost everyone was certain a TO was the thing to do. To make a decision like that with the entire season on the line and the calculations/risks behind it amazes me. I recall in the GB loss to Denver Holmgren let the Broncos score with under two minutes. That didn't work out so well for GB...... Sorry to mention it. That one still stings.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are correct that there is no "throwing the receiver open" on a certain percentage of throws. The QB works his progression or bails out of the pocket, a receiver breaks and gets separation, the QB sees him and throws him the ball. Or the QB throws a check-down to a guy sitting down in a zone seam. Simple.

Then there are all of the other throws.

Certainly receivers need to be able to adjust to a ball that may be thrown to a place where they may not have expected it to be. To think those throws are accidental would be correct in some cases; to think they are accidental in all cases is a mistake.

As for jocks being jocks, you may be of the mistaken opinion that "instinctual" play is innate and not the product of practice, learned behaviors and design. Your reading assignment, should you choose to accept it, is Malcolm Gladwell's "Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking".

Your contention that "no QB has the ability to place a ball exactly how he or the receiver wants it beyond a 10 yd. throw" is true if you mean "every time", but it's a game of percentages making your assertion clearly an exaggeration, and the extent to which your assertion is true argues for the importance of "throwing the receiver open" as much as against it.

Then there's the question, "what is accuracy?" Is it the ability to put the ball where the receiver can catch it? Surely. However accuracy is as much about putting the ball where the defender cannot. The consideration of completion percentage together with interception rate goes largely to the ability to "throw a receiver open".

There are subtleties involved in the process that, when accumulated, differentiate poor-to-mediocre play from outstanding play.
Good points all. Especially the ability of a QB to throw the ball so only the receiver can make the catch. That can result in a difficult catch, but the only other outcome then is an incompletion. Which brings up another amazing stat, Rodgers' completion percentage.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A “purposeful bad throw”? Why would a QB purposefully make a bad throw except to throw the ball away? If it’s purposeful and ends up where the QB intended, how is that a bad throw? Also, I didn’t see anyone post a QB has the ability to place a ball exactly how he wants it, did you? Did anyone make a claim of something mythical going on? Did you play in the NFL? If not are you comparing the complexity of the Packers offense and the skill level of the players to the team you played on in a sandlot, in high school, or in college? (Just to name one) What do you think of Ron Jaworski’s personal experience? He believes there’s such a thing as throwing a receiver open. How does his experience playing football compare to yours? I’m not being combative, just asking a couple of questions.
A purposeful bad throw sounds about as bad as Pete Carrol's comment that they were "wasting" a play on the interception. If these things are true, Wilson should have thrown the ball into the cheap seats. The poster you're replying to makes some outrageous claims about what it takes to be a great QB in the NFL.

H

HardRightEdge

Good points all. Especially the ability of a QB to throw the ball so only the receiver can make the catch. That can result in a difficult catch, but the only other outcome then is an incompletion. Which brings up another amazing stat, Rodgers' completion percentage.
Yes, you cannot separate the interceptions from the other QB stats. Anybody can sharply limit interceptions, but lesser QBs would need to make intolerable compromises to make that happen.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Brady has had less than stellar wide receivers to throw to over the last five seasons people tend to forget that having the best tight end in the game helps out a lot.

It seems like Larry Pinkard and Ed Williams (at least according to Bob McGinn) have been the best receivers out of the undrafted ones. Both are a long shot to make the team though.
What's the take on the new guy, Butler? I like the measurables but this seems like nothing more than a long shot. We'll see how many reps he gets, but time is winding down. I just don't like White. I'd be happy to be proven wrong!

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As he should. Who wouldn't?
That's true but Bellichik is very spare with his comments and compliments. Who can forget him storming off the field in the loss to the Giants, thus destroying the perfect season? he's a great HC, maybe the best ever, but a hard guy to like outside of NE. I thought it amazing that he went out of his way to praise MM.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He really did change and redefine the role of the slot receiver. Where is he now?

Hes a banged up concussed older veteran. No team wants to risk having him on their roster...for their sake and most likely for his too. Welker might be one more concussion away from being a vegetable.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thanks. Yes Brady has had incredible TEs, still does. And as someone else pointed out, seems he's always had a pro bowl caliber O line. That accounts for much of his success. And Bellichik (again I'm no fan) is an excellent in-game manager. NE may have won the last SB because Bellichik let the clock run while almost everyone was certain a TO was the thing to do. To make a decision like that with the entire season on the line and the calculations/risks behind it amazes me. I recall in the GB loss to Denver Holmgren let the Broncos score with under two minutes. That didn't work out so well for GB...... Sorry to mention it. That one still stings.

I don't agree on the Patriots mostly having superb offensive lines. This topic has been discussed at length during the offseason but I think Belichick got extremely lucky on the Seahawks interception.

What's the take on the new guy, Butler? I like the measurables but this seems like nothing more than a long shot. We'll see how many reps he gets, but time is winding down.

I would be shocked if Butler ended up being anything more than a camp body.

D

Deleted member 6794

Tom Silverstein wrote an interesting article in today's Journal Sentinel about the Packers fears of burning out Ty Montgomery. Here's the most interesting part IMO:

The Packers' plan is to bring in a veteran receiver to help make up for Nelson's loss, and it's no secret in NFL circles that if the New York Giants cut James Jones, the Packers would be all over him. They also will be keeping an eye on Carolina, where Jarrett Boykin is competing for a roster spot. They might even consider Detroit's Jeremy Ross if he gets cut.

The Packers had no interest in free agent Reggie Wayne before he signed with New England and have made it known to free agent Wes Welker and others that they're not looking for another slot receiver.

http://m.jsonline.com/sports/packer...e-fears-of-burnout-b99566112z1-323296151.html

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As he should. Who wouldn't?

Don't trust anything he says, it's self-serving. He said Wilson throwing the ball from the 1 yd line at the end of the SB was a good decision. Kind of like how a Packer fan would say "I highly respect Jay Cutler and hope the Bears keep him forever." :D

H

HardRightEdge

Don't trust anything he says, it's self-serving. He said Wilson throwing the ball from the 1 yd line at the end of the SB was a good decision. Kind of like how a Packer fan would say "I highly respect Jay Cutler and hope the Bears keep him forever." :D
Actually, I liked the Seattle call, even if the execution was poor.

Given the clock and time out situation, they could have gone run-run, run-pass-run or pass-run-run. The fact they took the "free play" pass first, and not second, strikes me as splitting hairs. Beyond that, it's just a bunch of woulda-shoulda-coulda.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I think White can make some plays for us this season.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I think we`ve certainly gone off Subject by now folks. This was supposedly about Jordy Nelsons injury. ;)

Members online

Latest posts