Jordy Nelson injury

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not all ligament tears are the same. If it's torn clean (Grade III), then yeah, he's done for the year. But given how he walked to the locker room without a limp and without grimacing in pain, it looks on its face to likely be a mild to moderate Grade II sprain. If that's the case, he could miss anywhere from 4-10 weeks. If he actually did have a Grade III, then I can't imagine the training staff allowing him to walk off like that because those injuries result in enough instability to create a high likelihood of further injuring other ligaments if the joint was to buckle. I'm holding out for some relatively good news and crossing my fingers that he'll be back in action before Halloween at this point.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK point taken, it seems people can be relatively fine after an ACL. But I've seen guys do their knee ligaments on the field and be carried off. So maybe there are degrees of severity
There are absolutely degrees of severity.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
The Pack seems to have had quite a few ACL injuries that don't appear bad to the eye or even to the player....

Charles Johnson didn't even know he had torn his
Bulaga played the rest of the game
Abby
Jordy (most likely)

I'm used to seeing more like Quarless where you just destroy the knee on a violent play.

This is going back a ways....but don't forget about Javon Walker. He tore his ACL back in 2004 or 2005 and was walking under his own power back to the locker room.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not all ligament tears are the same. If it's torn clean (Grade III), then yeah, he's done for the year. But given how he walked to the locker room without a limp and without grimacing in pain, it looks on its face to likely be a mild to moderate Grade II sprain. If that's the case, he could miss anywhere from 4-10 weeks. If he actually did have a Grade III, then I can't imagine the training staff allowing him to walk off like that because those injuries result in enough instability to create a high likelihood of further injuring other ligaments if the joint was to buckle. I'm holding out for some relatively good news and crossing my fingers that he'll be back in action before Halloween at this point.

Those were my thoughts too. If you noticed, when he got to the sideline, he was walking around casually, like a walk in the park...no grimacing in pain, no limp, nothing. Then as you say there, he walked to the locker room like a man who wasn't injured. In fact, he didn't have that look of despair like "OMG MY SEASON IS OVER" that you see in a lot of players faces when they tear an ACL. Players know when they tear it. You see it all the time....player tears their ACL and limps to the sideline and throws their helmet down on the ground hard and goes to the training table and cries their eyes out or something similar. Jordy was acting like something else was wrong that wasn't that serious........

This is why I keep saying to wait for the MRI. I've said from the get-go that its all speculation until then. So until we hear for sure from coach MM, its all guess work at this point. No matter what we see or hear.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GoPGo has a point, and in addition there are ~15% of male athletes who don't miss even a completely torn ACL, since the other restraints around the knee are so tight. Unfortunately, even partial tears (grade 2) of the ACL can be just as disabling as complete tears. The ACL (and all ligaments) can stretch up to 50% of their normal length before becoming completely torn, and such lengthening is permanent. In 85% of athletes (that don't have "tight knees") that means that an ACL that is lengthened by 50% means it is functionally useless, and needs to be reconstructed if a player hopes to return to pre-injury status. But I'm with MM and prefer to wait until the definitive MRI results are in before accepting the worst.

mongoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's all a good tactic by the green bay and nelson to make everyone believe he is out for the season. nelson is ok! I had heart attack symptoms that turned out to be acid reflux! ok...wishful thinking! yeah whatever, i'm still crossing my fingers!!!! this is not what I wanted to see today!

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But I'm with MM and prefer to wait until the definitive MRI results are in before accepting the worst.

This is what everyone should do. We could be pleasantly surprised tomorrow (or whenever the MRI is) and feel foolish for being doomy and gloomy...but then again, it could be as worse as it sounds. What im saying is, we wont know for sure until we know for sure :)

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If Jordy is out, #3 WR spot open....highly seasoned veterans named Reggie Wayne and Wes Welker are looking for jobs......this is a no brainer to me, sign one. Review notes from 1996 when two veteran WR's named Don Beebe and Andre Rison helped lead a nicked up WR corp to a SuperBowl victory. If Montgomery or Janis were seasoned, no need, but they aren't.

I think before this injury we all looked at WR as a position of depth, but Nelson's potential season ending injury just exposed the fact that we really aren't that deep. What happens if either Cobb or Adams goes down?

Last edited:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This doesnt affect our wins and losses imo. I think losing jordy sucks but I think its next man up and we will be fine. I would be in a panic if we lost a player like shields though.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
If Jordy is out, #3 WR spot open....highly seasoned veterans named Reggie Wayne and Wes Welker are looking for jobs......this is a no brainer to me, sign one. Review notes from 1996 when two veteran WR's named Don Beebe and Andre Rison helped lead a nicked up WR corp to a SuperBowl victory. If Montgomery or Janis were seasoned, no need, but they aren't.

I think before this injury we all looked at WR as a position of depth, but Nelson's potential season ending injury just exposed the fact that we really aren't that deep. What happens if either Cobb or Adams goes down?

Depth is my concern as well. I think who we have right now, TE's included is completely fine...but if another WR goes down even for a 1 or 2 game stretch it could cost us playoff games at home..or worse, a playoff birth to begin with.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both the Lions and Vikings have much better teams though. And the Lions aren't coached by Schwartz anymore lol

Considering your team hasnt done anything of note in the past 30 years besides going 0-16 I have no idea why you are attempting to troll this forum. Even worse, you probably werent even alive the last time the lions won in GB.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Oddly enough the best WRs in the league dont win titles very often. Im not even sure who the best WR was brady had on his 4 titles. Rodgers can make due with what we have.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Oddly enough the best WRs in the league dont win titles very often. Im not even sure who the best WR was brady had on his 4 titles. Rodgers can make due with what we have.

When we won it in 2010 we had Jennings, Driver, Nelson and Jones.....maybe I don't have as much confidence as you do in our now depleted ranks, but Cobb is the only WR left with much experience. Does our young WR corp have a lot of potential? Yes. Does having AR at QB help with the loss of Nelson? Yes. Can the Packers still make it to the SB? Yes. But I would feel a lot more comfortable with another proven Vet in there at WR and Montgomery and Janis at 4 and 5. especially given the length of the season and the possibility of Cobb or Adams getting hurt.

Last edited:

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
When Bears fans laugh at the Packers for Jordy's injury, and when Packer fans laugh at the Bears for being the Bears and still having Jay Cutler.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we won it in 2010 we had Jennings, Driver, Nelson and Jones.....
Im pretty sure we can replicate the WR #s from 2010

Jordy Nelson - 45 receptions 582 yards 2 TDs (brandon jackson had 2 less receptions)
James Jones - 50 receptions 679 yards 5 TDs
Driver - 51 receptions 565 yards 4 TDs
Jennings - 76 receptions 1265 yards 12 TDs

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we won it in 2010 we had Jennings, Driver, Nelson and Jones.....maybe I don't have as much confidence as you do in our now depleted ranks, but Cobb is the only WR left with much experience. Does our young WR corp have a lot of potential? Yes. Does having AR at QB help with the loss of Nelson? Yes. Can the Packers still make it to the SB? Yes. But I would feel a lot more comfortable with another proven Vet in there at WR and Montgomery and Janis at 4 and 5. especially given the length of the season and the possibility of Cobb or Adams getting hurt.
this might calm your nerves http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/moss-another-shiny-hood-ornament-wide-receiver/7510/

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are 3 players in particular that need to step up if Jordy is indeed lost for the season. Adams is the most obvious and if his flashes of brilliance late last year become weekly events the loss will be lessened.

Richard Rodgers is next. Consensus was/is that TE was the "weak" spot in this O. If the Pack can get a significant contribution at TE from RR, defenses won't be able to consistently overload on Adams and Cobb.

And #3 is ARod himself. Yes it's hard for someone that talented to "step up" bi he'll have to channel Tom Brady, and not the one who cheats and lies. Brady has had years when WRs came and went in a revolving door. Yet he produced with names like Edelman and LeFell. If anyone can turn an average wideout into a great one it should be #12. And his leadership and ownership of this team has never been so necessary.

Now it would be nice if the Pack can take advantage of these last two meaningless games to work on the play of ARod and Janis. Janis has the needed height and spied that Nelson possessed. Better to find out now if ARod can come to trust Janis, or not. Yes he plays spotty but shows signs. Give Janis reps with the first team NOW. Cobb and co. will be fine and ready for the Bears. Let's see if ARod can work some Brady magic on Janis.