JONES WON'T PROBABLY BE BACK: EXPOSE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOP HAT'S EDITORIAL: NO SURPRISE. EXE POLITICS. FASCINATING.

http://packerama.blogspot.com/

WILL JONES BE BACK?

The Press-Gazette is hinting the answer will be "no." It also says: "Following the widely popular Harlan was going to be a difficult task regardless, but Jones never seemed to gain the full support of those who worked under him. In recent months, several team employees expressed concerns about Jones to at least one executive committee member. Instead of meeting on Wednesday to officially hand control of the team to Jones, the Packers’ board of directors will convene to decide what to do next. Platten said it could take up to a year to resolve the situation."

So it's beginning to look like it may have been Jones' management style as much as anything else. I don't have that much personal experience with him, but I do with Harlan, who is basically a nice guy, easy to get along with, although willing to pull the trigger when he has to. Jones, on the other hand, has experience in the NFL front office, notably as the spokesman for its labor negotiations, something that requires more of a tough-guy image than being President of All The Packers.

It'll be interesting to see: 1. How long this takes to sort out. They're taking a process that had been done with a clear favorite and starting from scratch. And considering the fact that Harlan was the first not-born-in-Green-Bay leader, it's hard to believe they'll stray too far from somebody with Packers experience. 2. What sort of reception this gets at the stockholder meeting. That thing is very tightly controlled, but it'll be hard to deal with fans, already angry about Thompson for not giving Brett Favre everything he wants, if they want better answers than we're all getting now.

Jones steps down.

Peter Platten, speaking on behalf of the Packers’ Executive Committee at a late-afternoon press conference at Lambeau Field, said there were “management concerns” about Jones. Platten added, however, that those concerns didn’t involve personal conduct or ethical violations by Jones. The Executive Committee will meet Wednesday to continue discussions on how to proceed in this matter.

Wow...just wow. This one's going to take a while to figure out - health? Disagreements with the executive committee? (It sure seems they've meddled in stuff before.) Disagreement between the committee and Jones on Ted Thompson's draft picks or the Brett Favre "trade demand"? Right now, it's anybody's guess. But it's a shocker.

EARLIER POST: Here's a stunner: John Jones is taking a "leave of absence" from being president of the Packers, with Bob Harlan filling in. The story from WBAY: On Saturday the Packers announced president and Chief Operating Officer John Jones has taken a leave of absence for personal reasons. Bob Harlan will continue to serve as principal executive of the Green Bay Packers, how long hasn't been determined. Speaking on behalf of the team's Executive Committee, Peter Platten said "We determined that it would be mutually beneficial for John to take a leave of absence while we continue our evaulation of the situation and collectively determine next steps, John will be on leave until the Executive Committee and John conclude that process."

Jones said "It's been a difficult year but also a wonderful year in many respects. I need to step back and recharge my batteries. I will take this leave of absence. The Executive Committee and I mutually agreed that it was in the best interests of the Green Bay Packers to take this step." In June of last year, Jones underwent open heart surgery. He was back at work a few months later. There's a press conference coming later today. And we'll withhold speculation until then.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2...tedURL=http://packers.scout.com/2/646940.html

Jones days in Green Bay appear over.

PackerReport.com’s Todd Korth was at Lambeau Field today as Packers president Bob Harlan and Executive Committee member Peter Platten answered questions regarding the decision to put John Jones on a leave of absence. Korth provides his opinion on why Jones’ ‘leave’ seems more like a dismissal.

_________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070527/PKR07/705270670/1989

Mike Vandermause column: Harlan makes his toughest decision

Bob Harlan has a lot of guts, and he proved it Saturday in announcing a stunning decision about the long-term future of the Green Bay Packers. In one of the shrewdest moves of his 18-year tenure as head of the Packers, Harlan essentially sacked his hand-picked successor, John Jones. It was a courageous act, considering Jones was scheduled to take over the reins of the organization from Harlan on Wednesday. Harlan's nice-guy image is deserved, but as a leader, he can be ruthless when it comes to promoting and protecting the Packers' best interests.

Harlan's tenure as head of the team has been marked by difficult, sometimes gut-wrenching maneuvers. He fired Tom Braatz as general manager in 1991, pulled the Packers out of Milwaukee for financial reasons in 1994, got his hands dirty in a contentious Lambeau Field renovation battle in 2000 and stripped Mike Sherman of his general manager duties in 2005. But no decision could have been harder, or more significant, than the one he made to pull the plug on Jones' ascendancy to the Packers' throne. Harlan was grim-faced at a Memorial Day weekend press conference in the team's media auditorium. When asked if he felt disappointed for Jones, Harlan replied: "Absolutely. It's a difficult situation. I'm disappointed for John and for his family."

It was Harlan who groomed Jones for the job, so it couldn't have been easy to admit he made a mistake. It was Harlan who was just days from retirement and could have strolled into the sunset and never looked back. Instead, Harlan agreed to continue working full-time as Packers chairman and chief executive officer until a suitable successor is found, which could take up to a year. Harlan is as honest as they come. When he looks you in the eye and says he has the good of the team at heart in every decision he makes, you can believe him. His about-face decision on Jones is a prime example. Harlan had concerns and unresolved issues about Jones' leadership ability. As a result, he received the blessing of the Packers' executive committee to keep Jones out of power.

"This was an incredibly difficult decision," Packers executive committee member Peter Platten said. "But it was a decision we knew we had to make." Officially, Jones is taking an indefinite leave of absence, with pay, for personal reasons. In reality, he never will work for the Packers again, and the two sides will attempt to work out a severance package. The timing of the decision is puzzling, considering Jones has worked for the Packers since 1999 and was pegged as Harlan's successor 18 months ago. Why did it take so long to determine he wasn't up to the job? "Management issues came to light several months ago," Platten said. "But when you consider how much John has done for the organization already, we were hoping that they would subside enough so that he could take the title."

The unspecified issues surrounding Jones didn't go away, leading to his ouster. The only way Harlan could be happy in retirement is knowing, beyond a doubt, that he was leaving the Packers in good hands. Otherwise, his conscience would have bothered him the rest of his life. Harlan knew the marriage between Jones and the Packers wouldn't work. Instead of subjecting the team to an uncertain future, he made a tough call, and the right call.
________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070527/PKR01/705270673/1989

Jones out as CEO before he starts. Harlan's expected replacement likely is finished with Packers due to 'management concerns'

The makeup of the Green Bay Packers' front office changed abruptly on Saturday, four days before John Jones was to replace Bob Harlan as the team's chairman and chief executive officer. The team announced Jones is taking a leave of absence for personal reasons, then cited "management concerns" involving Jones, who was selected more than a year ago to replace the retiring Harlan. Though no team officials would say exactly what those concerns are, it appears unlikely that Jones ever will run the Packers. Harlan has agreed to remain in charge until the team's executive committee decides what course to take.

Harlan said he went to the committee three weeks ago with concerns about Jones. Executive committee member Peter Platten said "management issues" came to light several months ago. "I felt I owed it to the organization," Harlan said. "I report to the executive committee, and it was my obligation to keep the executive committee informed about anything that I thought was going on in the organization, which I do all the time, and this was an issue I thought we needed to look at." Asked whether it was one specific incident involving Jones, Harlan said: "I think 'management issues' describes it well. It's not (a) management issue. It got to the point where I felt I needed to go to the executive committee. It was done at this time because I felt I needed to report to that committee before I left the position...."

http://packerfansunited.blogspot.com/

Management Concerns" Behind Jones' Leave of Absence

At a press conference today addressing the abrupt leave of absence for incoming CEO John Jones, additional details came to light. Prime among them was that outgoing CEO Bob Harlan apparently approached the Packers' Executive Committee about three weeks ago with concerns over Jones. The concerns, though, according to reports, stretch back several months. While Jones' own comments on the situation hint that the leave of absence may be for health reasons, the Packers aren't commenting on that. As an employer, they likely can't state anything about that publicly. And if there are other concerns, they may not be able to say anything about that publicly as well, at least at this time.

It is a very curious situation. From what has been said to what hasn't been said, as well as the timing and the fact that Jones is Harlan's hand-picked successor who has been groomed to take over the helm upon Harlan's retirement, which was supposed to be in effect this coming week. As it stands, Harlan will remain in charge until the situation can be remedied one way or another.

Harlan's Retirement Delayed: Jones Takes Leave of Absence.

Bob Harlan, long-time President and CEO of the Packers, was all set to step into retirement this next week and become Chairman Emeritus. His hand-picked successor, John Jones, was to take over. But now? Not. Or at least, not yet. According to a press release from the Green Bay Packers "John Jones, president and COO of the Packers, has taken a leave of absence for personal reasons. Peter Platten, speaking on behalf of the organization's Executive Committee, made the announcement Saturday.

'We determined that it would be mutually beneficial for John to take a leave of absence while we continue our evaluation of the situation and collectively determine next steps,' said Platten. 'John will be on leave until the Executive Committee and John conclude that process.' 'It's been a very difficult year but also a wonderful year in many respects,' said Jones. 'I need to step back and recharge my batteries. I will take this leave of absence. The Executive Committee and I mutually agreed that it was in the best interests of the Green Bay Packers to take this step.' Bob Harlan will continue to serve as the principal executive of the Green Bay Packers for a period of time to be determined, as Chairman of the Board,Platten also announced. 'Everyone knows what a great leader Bob has been for this organization over the past 18 years,' said Platten. 'We are pleased that Bob has agreed to provide leadership continuity for the organization. The Executive Committee has tremendous confidence in Bob and his capable staff.'" Jones had health problems not that long ago. One has to wonder what the nature of this leave of absence is all about. Stay tuned.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-packers-harlan&prov=ap&type=lgns

Packers exec Harlan delays retirement as successor takes leave.

Bob Harlan will delay his retirement as the Green Bay Packers' chief executive officer because hand-picked successor John Jones is taking a leave for personal reasons. The Packers announced Saturday that Jones is taking an indefinite leave of absence from the team because of "management concerns." In a hastily arranged news conference, Packers executive committee member Peter Platten said he could not provide specifics about the nature of the concerns. "But I will tell you that they did not involve personal conduct or ethical violations," Platten said. It was not clear whether the concerns are related to Jones' recent health problems, although Jones seemed to hint at that in a statement issued by the team.

"It's been a very difficult year but also a wonderful year in many respects," Jones said. "I need to step back and recharge my batteries." Jones had open-heart surgery in June 2006, but has appeared to be in good health in recent months. He represented the Packers at NFL meetings in Nashville earlier this week. Jones was not present at the news conference on Saturday. "The issues have been discussed in detail with John," Platten said. "Ultimately, it was mutually decided it would be beneficial for John to take a leave of absence while the executive committee continues our evaluation and considers the next steps." Platten was unwilling to discuss any concerns the team's leaders might have about Jones' health. "I'm not going to talk about health concerns," Platten said. "I can't. OK?"

Jones' surgery last year came less than two years after Mark Hatley, the Green Bay Packers' vice president of football operations, died at his home July 27, 2004, of a heart attack at the age of 54. Asked about Jones' statement, Platten said, "Those are his words. It's just not appropriate for the Green Bay Packers to comment on them. Platten said the team was "constrained by certain legal parameters of what we can say about that situation." He said Jones will be paid during his leave of absence, and he hoped the issue would be "fully resolved" within a year. Harlan, who was on the verge of retirement after 18 seasons as the team's top executive, now will remain in place indefinitely. Harlan was supposed to have stepped down as chairman and CEO this week, but remain with the team as chairman emeritus.

Harlan said the team has informed NFL commissioner Roger Goodell about the situation, and sought to reassure Packers fans the team is well prepared to move forward. "We're going to fight to keep this organization among the elite organizations in the National Football League, and I'm very comfortable that we're going to get that accomplished," Harlan said. Harlan, who earlier this week became emotional as he contemplated the end of his tenure, said he didn't have any second thoughts about abruptly putting off retirement. "I was adjusting myself to change the way I was going to live," Harlan said. "But as the executive committee knows, I would do anything for this organization. I didn't think an extra second when they asked me if I would come back and do this. I'm honored to do it."

Both Harlan and Platten said their management concerns about Jones have been apparent for months, but they were hoping the issues would be worked out in time for Jones to take over for Harlan. "Management issues came to light several months ago, but when you consider how much John has done for the organization already, we were hoping that they would subside enough to that he could take the title," Platten said. "They did not, so we felt it was in the mutual interests for John and for us for him to take the leave."

Harlan picked Jones, a journalist for 13 years before joining the league and becoming an administrator for the NFL's management council, to become his eventual successor in 1999. Harlan said he didn't have any concerns about Jones' character. "No, not at all," Harlan said. "This is a management situation. I was the one that brought John Jones in here eight years ago to be my successor, and I told him that when I hired him." Harlan said he and the team are not beginning to look at other potential candidates to become his successor. "We haven't even started a conversation like that," Harlan said. "This is something that we're just dealing with now."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=611059

Harlan stays on as Packers president. Groomed successor Jones on leave; reason is unclear.

Eight years ago, Bob Harlan hired John Jones to be his eventual successor as president, chief executive officer and chairman of the Green Bay Packers.But Harlan recently brought up concerns to the Packers' executive committee about Jones' ability to manage the National Football League franchise. Committee secretary Peter M. Platten III announced Saturday that the succession plan was on hold and Harlan would forgo his imminent retirement to remain the team's leader for as long as one year.

At a hastily called news conference in Green Bay, Platten said Jones - the Packers' president and second-in-command to Harlan - has taken a paid leave of absence. Jones' unexpected withdrawal halted the organization's plan to transfer its top leadership position from Harlan to Jones by the end of May. "Management concerns involving John Jones became apparent to the executive committee," Platten said. "We have concerns about management issues that need to be resolved before he could go to the CEO position. . . . Management issues came to light several months ago but . . . we were hoping that they could subside enough so that he could take the title. They did not, so we felt it was in the mutual interest for John and for us for him to take the leave for now." Platten said the concerns were not over Jones' personal conduct or ethics.

Surprisingly, it was Harlan who, about three weeks ago, blew the whistle on his protégé. "I think 'management issues' describes it well," Harlan said. "It got to the point where I felt I needed to go to the executive committee. It was done at this time because I felt I needed to report to that committee before I left the position." Harlan also would not specify what the concerns were. Jones was not at the news conference but released a statement through the team. "It's been a very difficult year but also a wonderful year in many respects," Jones said. "I need to step back and recharge my batteries. . . . The executive committee and I mutually agreed that it was in the best interests of the Green Bay Packers to take this step."

Health may be issue. Although no one has said so publicly, it's possible the sudden move may have to do with Jones' health and whether he can handle the rigorous demands of the job. Jones had open-heart surgery in June 2006, right after he was elected as the team's 10th president on May 31. The Packers have kept a lid on any information about the surgery, Jones' recovery or his health status. During last season, the 55-year-old Jones generally kept a low profile in the community and with the media, but by October the team said he was functioning full time and meeting his administrative duties. But speculation began as early as last fall whether Jones would be able to take over for Harlan. The Packers' public relations office turned down requests by the Journal Sentinel to interview Jones about his medical status.

Then rumors began to circulate weeks ago that the executive committee would ask Harlan, 70, to stay on. Harlan told a Journal Sentinel reporter two weeks ago that he intended to retire by the end of May. Meanwhile, Jones represented the Packers at NFL meetings in Nashville last week. Members of the executive committee did not return phone calls about the rumors involving Jones. But on Saturday Harlan revealed he began talking to the executive committee about Jones three weeks ago. "I have heard the issues and felt I owed it to the organization (to disclose them)," Harlan said. "I report to the executive committee, and it was my obligation to keep the executive committee informed about anything that I thought was going on in the organization. And this was an issue I thought we needed to look at." Citing legal constraints, neither Harlan nor Platten would address any health-related concerns about Jones.

Jones could return. Harlan hired Jones in 1999 as senior vice president of administration. Jones gradually moved up the Packers' front office ladder to oversee the team's financial success, and had a major role in the Lambeau Field renovation and atrium construction, with Harlan grooming him as a potential candidate to run the organization. That culminated with Jones' appointment to the role of president, right before the medical emergency last year. "Not only did I have this plan in place for him, but a year ago I was the one who went to the board of directors at the main meeting and suggested that we make him president for my final year to help get him more acclimated," Harlan said. "This is strictly a management issue," Harlan added. "It's a difficult situation. I'm disappointed for John and for his family. I thought I had it very well planned, and something unforeseen and unfortunate occurred, and now we have to deal with that."

There are two issues the team will have to address, one very soon, and one eventually. First, team bylaws require staff retirement by age 70. The executive committee would have to make an amendment or rule change for Harlan to stay on. The next board meeting is Wednesday. "We have the authority as the executive committee to act in the absence of the full board," Platten said. "So we have the authority to do it. We will discuss the whole thing with the board of directors, however." Also, Platten said the executive committee will evaluate Jones and would not rule out the possibility that Jones could eventually assume the CEO position within a year. "I think you can assume from the fact that we put him on leave, that there would be a possibility that he would be able to come back in the future," Platten said. The executive committee hasn't yet considered whether Jones could come back in another role with the team, Platten said.

Harlan also said he hasn't started looking for another successor, and if he does, all he can do is recommend a person. "It's really an executive committee decision. . . . I am not the authority that can hire that individual," Harlan said. Messages left at the homes of Harlan and Jones were not returned. Carl Kuehne, a longtime member of the Packers' executive committee, declined to comment further on Saturday's announcement. As for Harlan forgetting about retirement for a while, he said he was not upset. He has been steadfast in wanting to groom the next generation of Packers leaders so that he could feel he has left the team in capable hands when he does retire. "The executive committee knows I would do anything for this organization," Harlan said. "I didn't think for an extra second when they asked me if I would come back and do this. I'm honored to do it."

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Re: JONES WON'T PROBABLY BE BACK: TOTAL COVERAGE

Zero2Cool said:

"WHO IS WE?" YOU CAN SAVE PREDICTABLE, BORISH "COLLEGE GROUPIE VS. I" REACTIONS. THIS IS A VERY DIFFERENT FOLLOW-UP THREAD EXPLAINING TOTAL DETAILS ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON? LIKE OTHER FORUMS WOULD SAY, MY RIGHT AND MY PRIVILEGE TO DO IT AS A WELL-KNOWN PACKER FAN

This kind of personal attack is not appreciated. Simply because I am in college does not give you the right to categorize me in a negative connotation.

You do have the right to post a second thread on the same issue. Just as I have the right to politely inform you that there is another thread already. I said nothing to conjure this attack.

And, this is not other forums. This is PackerForum.com. It's not like many others and that's why many of us are here.

On a lighter note : I'm more of a "well-known" Packer fan than you! Just look at my post count compared to yours! :p heh lol

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JONES WON'T PROBABLY BE BACK: TOTAL COVERAGE

I'm sorry, but I'm not reading all that.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
INITIAL MARCH RUMOR: FAN INFO

MARCH, 2007--FAN'S REMARKS: "There is a concern about JJ's interest level of being the face of the organization. The guy leading the organizing; shaking the hands of sponsors and other large stakeholders; politicians (which were needed to pass the large stadium initiative), etc. The concern is that he doesn't seem to want to be engaged in this activity, even though it is a big part of that job. Then, I think the health issues, which haven't been allowing him to travel, just make him more reclusive to the people that he needs to be impacting. I don't know him personally, so I can't add a personal twist. The person who told me this seemed to think that Jones won't be a long-termer like Harlan. He had another example or two but I don't recall them. It wasn't until I saw this post that I thought I'd add what I recalled.

I thought it was interesting that some "feelers" had been placed to see if Jones could get offered another job and then "encouraged" to take it....My sense of it was his focus is on running the operations of the business. This is not a bad thing of course. Kind of like being a COO as opposed to the CEO the team thought it was hiring. In the end, he'll be compared to Harlan, who is revered and fueled the resurgence. This situation is not that different than how unfair some will be to the successor to Favre. So maybe the situation is fair and maybe it's not....but the person I spoke with was the one that was asked to inquire about another prospective opening in sports management that might be available....to see if the graceful out was even possible".

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts