Johnathan Abram claimed off waivers

Reaction score
Wyatt received now for last four games 16%, 17%, 16% and 17% of the defensive snaps.
Yes and I appreciate that info. However that’s still a relatively low % this far into a season isn’t it? I’d expect that if our DL was playing like a top 5 unit, which it obviously isn’t. If I recall even Rashan has over 20% snaps year 1 and he was buried.

Why would we go draft a Day 1 selection and then bench him for 85% of our D snaps? I just don’t get that at all. This is a guy that had he been given 25-30-% Could’ve been a help to our porous Run Defense. He’s also got a pretty good History at creating Turnovers which they obviously coached up at Georgia

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes and I appreciate that info. However that’s still a relatively low % this far into a season isn’t it? I’d expect that if our DL was playing like a top 5 unit, which it obviously isn’t. If I recall even Rashan has over 20% snaps year 1 and he was buried.

Why would we go draft a Day 1 selection and then bench him for 85% of our D snaps? I just don’t get that at all. This is a guy that had he been given 25-30-% Could’ve been a help to our porous Run Defense. He’s also got a pretty good History at creating Turnovers which they obviously coached up at Georgia

You have to remember the timeline of events however, Jarran Reed was signed before the draft ever took place...and while some did think Wyatt had a chance to fall to us, myself and many pundits worth way more than me didn't think he would last to our first of two first rounders, let alone our second. I would argue if Reed hadn't signed with us at all, of course Wyatt would be having so much more thrown at him...however clearly it would seem he isn't ready to push Lowry or Reed from playing time just yet - which is fine, he's a rookie and the others have remained healthy which is also part of it.

Order of snap % for them all - Clark 80%, Reed 69%, Lowry 56%, Slaton 31% and Wyatt 15%...all but Wyatt have 10 eligible games for that all, he missed one.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Will do. But on the solo tackles he sure used his shoulders.
Again, Im not saying he isn't defending passes or tackling the guy he is defending. Also, it could just be me, but it appears like he is intentionally avoiding contact (other than in the 2 situations above) and remaining very upright when he is tackling.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You have to remember the timeline of events however, Jarran Reed was signed before the draft ever took place...and while some did think Wyatt had a chance to fall to us, myself and many pundits worth way more than me didn't think he would last to our first of two first rounders, let alone our second. I would argue if Reed hadn't signed with us at all, of course Wyatt would be having so much more thrown at him...however clearly it would seem he isn't ready to push Lowry or Reed from playing time just yet - which is fine, he's a rookie and the others have remained healthy which is also part of it.

Order of snap % for them all - Clark 80%, Reed 69%, Lowry 56%, Slaton 31% and Wyatt 15%...all but Wyatt have 10 eligible games for that all, he missed one.
Agreed and its not much different than when Gary was drafted. He had the Smith Brothers ahead of him and the Packers were just fine bringing him along slowly. I actually prefer that over throwing a rookie into the fire right away, can't be good for his state of mind if he struggles.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed and its not much different than when Gary was drafted. He had the Smith Brothers ahead of him and the Packers were just fine bringing him along slowly. I actually prefer that over throwing a rookie into the fire right away, can't be good for his state of mind if he struggles.

Kyler Fackrell was established well ahead his rookie year too.

Reaction score
Either that or he's being underutilized. Sorry, I just don't see Slaton or Lowry as some big upgrades form Wyatt and the other argument is why not have both? We saw more of that recently with 3 DL sets and that should be increase some until we get this Run Defense resolved
This Defense needs help against the Run. I think it's an area that should be explored now that we're midseason. Actually, I've read reports saying we can expect to see a heavy DL rotation this week, which is good. My bigger picture concern is that we should be in a Win Now mode. Drafting players in Day 1 that warm the bench has not helped this team win now. I'll digress to get back on topic

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Either that or he's being underutilized. Sorry, I just don't see Slaton or Lowry as some big upgrades form Wyatt and the other argument is why not have both? We saw more of that recently with 3 DL sets and that should be increase some until we get this Run Defense resolved
This Defense needs help against the Run. I think it's an area that should be explored now that we're midseason. Actually, I've read reports saying we can expect to see a heavy DL rotation this week, which is good. My bigger picture concern is that we should be in a Win Now mode. Drafting players in Day 1 that warm the bench has not helped this team win now. I'll digress to get back on topic
Hoping we see a bit more of 330lb Slaton, tonight. Lowry is 3" taller than the other DL's so his length may be necessary/important in some situations, even though he's 10+ lbs lighter than the others (most are 305-315lbs). I may be wrong, but I remember some scouting report(s) that Wyatt is a bit better in one on one situations rather than eating double-teams (currently). Maybe with the guys ahead of him they're picking situations for Wyatt to excel?

Reaction score
Hoping we see a bit more of 330lb Slaton, tonight. Lowry is 3" taller than the other DL's so his length may be necessary/important in some situations, even though he's 10+ lbs lighter than the others (most are 305-315lbs). I may be wrong, but I remember some scouting report(s) that Wyatt is a bit better in one on one situations rather than eating double-teams (currently). Maybe with the guys ahead of him they're picking situations for Wyatt to excel?
Hopefully we'll see some more 3 DL sets like we saw recently. Best of both worlds

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Kyler Fackrell was established well ahead his rookie year too.
I forgot about Fackrell. He is also a good cautionary tale on not going nuts on a contract after a guy has one monster sack year.

Much like I am glad that the Packers didn't offer Tonyan a big contract after his high TD season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
More and more, I am learning what we as fans want, need or think should happen, the Packers coaches or Front office have other plans.....How dare them! :whistling: :cool:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I forgot about Fackrell. He is also a good cautionary tale on not going nuts on a contract after a guy has one monster sack year.

Much like I am glad that the Packers didn't offer Tonyan a big contract after his high TD season.

Fackrell didn't get a big contract really though, no one would offer him more than $5M a year and he has been a serviceable #3 or #4 which was precisely what he was IMO and obviously most folks.

Reaction score
More and more, I am learning what we as fans want, need or think should happen, the Packers coaches or Front office have other plans.....How dare them! :whistling: :cool:
exactly what I was thinking! Finally someone who gets it!:coffee:

PS. You sure do argue a lot. Is Momma ok? :roflmao:

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers draft philosophy over the last 17 years does not reflect your opinion on this matter.

D

Deleted member 6794

Why would we go draft a Day 1 selection and then bench him for 85% of our D snaps? I just don’t get that at all.

It's pretty easy, Wyatt just isn't good enough at this point in his career to deserve more playing time.

Agreed and its not much different than when Gary was drafted. He had the Smith Brothers ahead of him and the Packers were just fine bringing him along slowly.

It's a different story with Wyatt though as aside of Clark he doesn't have any above average player ahead of him on the depth chart.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Abram didn't last long. I suppose that the 3 penalties he committed on his 28 Special Teams snaps didn't help his cause. I guess what a USA Today writer said about him in 2020 was correct, "Abram’s lack of coverage skills and awareness is starting to become too difficult to ignore."

If anyone ever complains about Packers ability to draft...just point them to the Raiders draft history of late. Wow, that is a train wreck!

OP
OP
GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abram didn't last long. I suppose that the 3 penalties he committed on his 28 Special Teams snaps didn't help his cause. I guess what a USA Today writer said about him in 2020 was correct, "Abram’s lack of coverage skills and awareness is starting to become too difficult to ignore."

If anyone ever complains about Packers ability to draft...just point them to the Raiders draft history of late. Wow, that is a train wreck!

Dang. I wanted him to pan out. This team is really taking special teams seriously now. Which is obviously a good sign.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Dang. I wanted him to pan out. This team is really taking special teams seriously now. Which is obviously a good sign.
Yeah, he was a healthy scratch from the Philly game, so I think the fact that they activated Gaines over him, said quite a bit.

What I really like about the signings of Rudy Ford and Nixon, both of them have contributed way more than the Packers even thought that they would. Ford is playing well on defense and Nixon looks like he really could be a decent return man.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, he was a healthy scratch from the Philly game, so I think the fact that they activated Gaines over him, said quite a bit.

What I really like about the signings of Rudy Ford and Nixon, both of them have contributed way more than the Packers even thought that they would. Ford is playing well on defense and Nixon looks like he really could be a decent return man.
Gute does pretty good with picking up players. Some don't pan out obviously but that's to be expected imho.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Really reminds me of the Campbell and Douglas signings last year. OOOPS Never mind.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not sure there's any reason to take a lot of pride in having done better than a team which has made the playoffs only twice since making it to the Super Bowl back in 2002 and hasn't won a single playoff game since.

Members online

Latest posts