Johnathan Abram claimed off waivers

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Reed has been a disappointment for me. I really thought our DL was going to be strong this season. Wyatt has been disappointing as well, at least for the 28th pick in the draft. Lowry is fine, but way overpaid.

I don't mind taking snaps away from guys who probably won't be here next season (Reed and Lowry). Granted signing Tillery would amount to a 7 game tryout.

Reaction score
Reed has been a disappointment for me. I really thought our DL was going to be strong this season. Wyatt has been disappointing as well, at least for the 28th pick in the draft. Lowry is fine, but way overpaid.

I don't mind taking snaps away from guys who probably won't be here next season (Reed and Lowry). Granted signing Tillery would amount to a 7 game tryout.
I agree this DL is way below what I expected. However Wyatt has barely played this season. His 65 snaps in 8 contests are perplexing.
That’s 8 snaps per contest.
That’s fine if he’s playing bad, but how does a guy get going playing 1 series? It’s perplexing to me, especially with our Run Defense struggling and Run D was a strength of his for the Bulldogs. When teams Run a lot maybe go more 3DL.
I read he’s at his best in 1 on 1 scenarios. He’ll beat his guy regular. We use him to take on 2 blockers which isn’t his strength.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree this DL is way below what I expected. However Wyatt has barely played this season. His 65 snaps in 8 contests are probably the least of any Day 1 selection that’s not injured. That’s 8 snaps per contest.
That’s fine if he’s playing bad, but how does a guy get going playing 1 series? It’s perplexing to me, especially with our Run Defense struggling and he’s a good Run Defender.
My guess is that they don't think Wyatt is ready. Whether that is due to not being where they want him physically, mentally or a combination of the two. Remember, Gary didn't play a ton his rookie year, 244 snaps total. Much like Wyatt, the Packers had better players ahead of Gary.

D

Deleted member 6794

He’s a brilliant Actor and he makes another former Packers, MD Jennings, look like an All-Pro

Don't get me wrong, Savage has been a major disappointment but there's not a single player in the NFL that bad that MD Jennings would look like an All-Pro.

Heads will roll after the season, if not before. It won't be MLF, but I fully expect Barry to be on the chopping block.

MLF has made it pretty clear on several occasions that he's not making a move at DC during the season.

“I agree this DL is way below what I expected. However Wyatt has barely played this season. His 65 snaps in 8 contests are perplexing.
That’s fine if he’s playing bad, but how does a guy get going playing 1 series? It’s perplexing to me, especially with our Run Defense struggling and Run D was a strength of his for the Bulldogs. When teams Run a lot maybe go more 3DL.
I read he’s at his best in 1 on 1 scenarios. He’ll beat his guy regular. We use him to take on 2 blockers which isn’t his strength.

You have been beating the drum for Wyatt to receive more playing time but it's probable the players ahead of him on the depth chart at an upgrade over him at this point.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly, Mondio. Move Savage to the slot, Abrams plays Savage's old Safety spot (hopefully slightly better?). This allows a good look at Savage in the slot to see if he can be of value.

Abrams will not excel in Savage's spot. He has proven to be terrible in coverage. The way it could work is...Savage moves to the star, Amos takes over Savage's roll and Abrams takes over Amos' roll

Savage will excell in the slot...hopefully. he is in GB in 2023 unless he gets traded. His 7.9 m salary is fully guranteed.

D

Deleted member 6794

Abrams will not excel in Savage's spot. He has proven to be terrible in coverage. The way it could work is...Savage moves to the star, Amos takes over Savage's roll and Abrams takes over Amos' roll

Abrams is best suited to line up at strong safety. That would mean the Packers should move Amos back to free safety and line up Savage as slot corner.

Savage will excell in the slot...hopefully. he is in GB in 2023 unless he gets traded. His 7.9 m salary is fully guranteed.

I'm convinced there won't be any other team interested in trading for Savage next offseason.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abrams is best suited to line up at strong safety. That would mean the Packers should move Amos back to free safety and line up Savage as slot corner.

I'm convinced there won't be any other team interested in trading for Savage next offseason.

Isn't that exactly what I said?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree this DL is way below what I expected. However Wyatt has barely played this season. His 65 snaps in 8 contests are perplexing.
That is correct. He can win one on one's. And that is why we drafted him. I like the 3 DL.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, Savage has been a major disappointment but there's not a single player in the NFL that bad that MD Jennings would look like an All-Pro.
I thought he looked better playing in the slot. He can use his speed to catch up to the receivers running across the field.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I thought he looked better playing in the slot. He can use his speed to catch up to the receivers running across the field.
Savage got absolutely burned by Lamb for a TD. Not that the rest of the secondary did much better against him.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Savage got absolutely burned by Lamb for a TD. Not that the rest of the secondary did much better against him.
Alexander had coverage on Lamb on that play, Savage was the helper. Not sure of the coverage called, but Savage was tighter to the line & was chasing Lamb from behind after Alexander slowed down/gave up on the play.

Reaction score
ou have been beating the drum for Wyatt to receive more playing time but it's probable the players ahead of him on the depth chart at an upgrade over him at this point.
I want him to gain experience. We did use him a little more against Dallas, however I'm not convinced someone like Lowry is an upgrade over Wyatt. I think the only thing we do is keep a #28 overall stagnant, you get better by playing consistently not so much sitting on the bench. This should've been a major focus of ours, in getting the most immediate impact players through the draft. It's essentially a similar argument to Love, so you draft someone to sit him? Not too smart

That is correct. He can win one on one's. And that is why we drafted him. I like the 3 DL.
I noticed we did use some more Run Heavy 3DL sets, which amazed me. Then Barry would revert back to 2DL, 2OLB and 2 ILB which is extremely soft in the box. Your OL just lets the Edge players have a free run on the perimeter behind the play and its literally a 4 on 2.
Go back and look at that 2nd and 13 play.. it was perplexing to me. Dallas had 11 formation (6 blockers) We had 4 rushing and 2ILB. Its literally 8 on 6 there including Pollard and Dak. What do they do?? right up the gut and gashed us. What team wouldn't run in an 8 on 6?? If we do this with Henry? we are going to get absolutely bludgeoned. The only thing that will happen is Henry will exceed his pace of 17 17 1700 yards 17 TDs and go 18 18

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want him to gain experience. We did use him a little more against Dallas, however I'm not convinced someone like Lowry is an upgrade over Wyatt. I think the only thing we do is keep a #28 overall stagnant, you get better by playing consistently not so much sitting on the bench. This should've been a major focus of ours, in getting the most immediate impact players through the draft. It's essentially a similar argument to Love, so you draft someone to sit him? Not too smart

I noticed we did use some more Run Heavy 3DL sets, which amazed me. Then Barry would revert back to 2DL, 2OLB and 2 ILB which is extremely soft in the box. Your OL just lets the Edge players have a free run on the perimeter behind the play and its literally a 4 on 2.
Go back and look at that 2nd and 13 play.. it was perplexing to me. Dallas had 11 formation (6 blockers) We had 4 rushing and 2ILB. Its literally 8 on 6 there including Pollard and Dak. What do they do?? right up the gut and gashed us. What team wouldn't run in an 8 on 6?? If we do this with Henry? we are going to get absolutely bludgeoned. The only thing that will happen is Henry will exceed his pace of 17 17 1700 yards 17 TDs and go 18 18

Wyatt received now for last four games 16%, 17%, 16% and 17% of the defensive snaps.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I believe the Pats did much of the same to us.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe the Pats did much of the same to us.
Is this what we did to the Bears, Patriots, Bills and Cowboys?

Or did we just maul them one on one all across the line of scrimmage?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Alexander had coverage on Lamb on that play, Savage was the helper. Not sure of the coverage called, but Savage was tighter to the line & was chasing Lamb from behind after Alexander slowed down/gave up on the play.
Maybe it's just me, but Alexander seems to play like he doesn't want to get his pants or jersey dirty. Watched him quite a bit on Sunday and he rarely was on the ground. Now that can be good, if nobody is beating you or running bye you, but that wasn't the case on Sunday. He's being paid like the #1 CB in the NFL...but I still don't see it. Don't get me wrong, he's our best CB, but best in football? Nope.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but Alexander seems to play like he doesn't want to get his pants or jersey dirty. Watched him quite a bit on Sunday and he rarely was on the ground. Now that can be good, if nobody is beating you or running bye you, but that wasn't the case on Sunday. He's being paid like the #1 CB in the NFL...but I still don't see it. Don't get me wrong, he's our best CB, but best in football? Nope.
Alexander made a couple very good one on one tackles when he had to. I was actually worried about his shoulder but he looked fine. Don't know what you are talking about. He does not need to get involved when a guy is already getting gang tackled.

D

Deleted member 6794

I want him to gain experience. We did use him a little more against Dallas, however I'm not convinced someone like Lowry is an upgrade over Wyatt. I think the only thing we do is keep a #28 overall stagnant, you get better by playing consistently not so much sitting on the bench.

I honestly believe the coaching staff would play Wyatt much more if he would present an adequate replacement for any other defensive lineman currently receiving snaps ahead of him. Considering his snap count hasn't increased drastically over the course of the season that doesn't seem to be the case though.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly believe the coaching staff would play Wyatt much more if he would present an adequate replacement for any other defensive lineman currently receiving snaps ahead of him. Considering his snap count hasn't increased drastically over the course of the season that doesn't seem to be the case though.
Still, playing 17% of the snaps is not nothing. I just have a hard time seeing exactly what he is really doing. The cameras don't show what's going on very well in the trenches and it drives me nuts when I am looking for a number after the play and the camera almost always focuses on somebody's head. Why in the world do they do that?

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Still, playing 17% of the snaps is not nothing. I just have a hard time seeing exactly what he is really doing. The cameras don't show what's going on very well in the trenches and it drives me nuts when I am looking for a number after the play and the camera almost always focuses on somebody's head. Why in the world do they do that?
That's a good point. Or they show the coaches and players on the sideline. I'm yelling at the TV, because that helps, to show the replay. I don't care about the coaches reaction to the play. Show me the actual play in slow motion.

D

Deleted member 6794

Still, playing 17% of the snaps is not nothing.

While that's true I would have expected Wyatt to play significantly more snaps this season. It seems he's not ready to take on a larger role though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Alexander made a couple very good one on one tackles when he had to. I was actually worried about his shoulder but he looked fine. Don't know what you are talking about. He does not need to get involved when a guy is already getting gang tackled.
Maybe it his shoulder that he is trying to protect, but watch him tonight. He seems to be avoiding contact with other players or the ground.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts