Joe Philbin is coming back

Reaction score
I think this is a big positive. I really like that Joe has been involved with 2 other teams after being successful in GB. I also like JP overcoming his fear of reliving his son's death, that speaks volumes to me. I'd like to see him put that energy and experience to use for us again and turn it into a positive so to speak. His story is one of humility and that's something we can all learn from

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm angry about this. I really wish they would have gone through an actual interview process to find someone capable of evolving this stale offense . Just sticking to the status quo, since that has worked so well

The Packers offense has been one of the best in the league ranking fourth in points since Philbin left after the 2011 season. I'm excited about the team bringing him back after the success he had during his first stint in Green Bay.

A top offense shouldn't become one of the league's worst when the QB goes down.

That was to be expected to happen as Rodgers is mostly responsible for the unit's success though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I ready that article and say, "no ****" Teams playing the pass and not the run considering who we have at QB is a no brainer really. Some of our best plays have been out of play action. I see Jordy catching TD after TD with that play. But when you get past who our QB is and what he likes to do, i mean for a while we regularly played with 4-5 WR's on the field and were so productive on offense, did it really matter there wasn't even a RB on the field to do play action with? Then look at the RB position, it hasn't been the greatest. We made a nice investment in Lacy and Franklin, Franklin was forced into retirement with a neck injury, Lacy had a couple really good seasons, and then got overweight and lazy and injured. No running game to fear. Starks battled injury, then we lost pretty much every RB we had on the roster and had to convert a WR. Nobody feared the running game, why would they have? It seems like outside of a few brief stretches, most times we've had a decent running game have been when we didn't have Rodgers on the field. Coincidence? Bad luck? maybe both?

and then last year, we found 2 hard running guys, one that can bust one from anywhere and then had a QB who's weakest pass in the bag was the down the field in the middle type pass of off play action. I don't think teams cared at all if Hundley tried throwing the ball out of any run, spread, power, pass pro, whatever formation. They just brought people up and put pressure on him because he could never beat them with anything else.

What I do know, a good running game will help the play action. I don't think GB with Rodgers will ever run the ball enough to be known as a running team to really build the threat of play action. Teams are always going to prepare for Rodgers to beat them with the pass as it's his strength. and despite all of that, we've had an offense that's landed outside of the top 10 maybe twice in 10 years. I think the circumstances of the past 3 years really lend me to a "no ****" reaction to this article. I mean you can pick any team at any point in history and point out the obvious by narrowing down the variables enough. Who would think we'd have a great play action team in a season where most of the offensive line is out till 2/3rd's of the way thru the season and even then, both starting tackles needed off seasons surgery and your guards. You lost your best stretch the field WR and both your other starters were injured all year and their level of play was obvious on a play in and play out basis all season long. Couple that with a 280lb lazy RB that's injured. Recipe for play action success?

Or a season in which you lose 4 or 5 of all 4 or 5 RB's you bring in to camp are injured and you have to convert a WR to RB and your defense is ravaged with injury and you're playing catch up all season long or in high scoring games from week 1 till the NFCCG. The perfect storm to run a successful play action offense? Or last year, we had RB's, we still have WR's and then had a QB who couldn't throw that ball in the middle of the field within 10 yards of anybody except a defender.

We need better TE play, that's obvious. Even with a good RB, we'll still be a passing team with Rodgers, but we can definitely set up the play action pass to Aaron's advantage. I think with the 2 guys we have now it will look a lot better next year assuming health of course we'll look better in the play action aspect of the game regardless of who's calling plays or designing game plans. Because of Rodgers, I don't think we'll ever be an offense based off run looks. But if Jones can bust a few and Williams can consistently get 4 or 5 in situations where we need 2 or 3, we'll probably see 4-5 huge plays out of play action every game. and Aaron's accuracy on those is just a tick or 2 better than Hundley's :)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We made a nice investment in Lacy and Franklin, Franklin was forced into retirement with a neck injury,

I pretty much liked what you wrote, but I have to ask, because I have seen others mention it. What was so special about Jonathan Franklin? His NFL career consisted of 19 carries for 107 yards and 2 fumbles. Possibly he could have been good, but I wouldn't call him a "nice investment" and like so many players who come and go, really hard to extrapolate limited stats to make a conclusion on a guy.

All that being said, I do think the Packers offense and AR would greatly benefit from having a top 10 running back and thus better stats with Play action passing. Necessary? Probably not. But instead of the passing game benefiting from having a solid RB and run game, we are seeing average running backs periodically rip off big yardage because the opposing defenses are sitting back playing the pass and knowing that the Packers running game probably won't hurt them that much by doing so.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anything was particularly "special" He just looked like he had the parts to be a player in a nice 1-2 punch of RB's. he just go going and it was over. Maybe it would have never been sustained, it happens all the time, but I thought he was going to be pretty good in the role I think they drafted him for. We never really got to find out. I don't think he was going to be like a Tori Gurly or anything, but a later round pick to compliment the pounder in Lacy and starks. Get the shifty yards and 3rd down back.

D

Deleted member 6794

I ready that article and say, "no ****" Teams playing the pass and not the run considering who we have at QB is a no brainer really. Some of our best plays have been out of play action. I see Jordy catching TD after TD with that play. But when you get past who our QB is and what he likes to do, i mean for a while we regularly played with 4-5 WR's on the field and were so productive on offense, did it really matter there wasn't even a RB on the field to do play action with? Then look at the RB position, it hasn't been the greatest. We made a nice investment in Lacy and Franklin, Franklin was forced into retirement with a neck injury, Lacy had a couple really good seasons, and then got overweight and lazy and injured. No running game to fear. Starks battled injury, then we lost pretty much every RB we had on the roster and had to convert a WR. Nobody feared the running game, why would they have? It seems like outside of a few brief stretches, most times we've had a decent running game have been when we didn't have Rodgers on the field. Coincidence? Bad luck? maybe both?

and then last year, we found 2 hard running guys, one that can bust one from anywhere and then had a QB who's weakest pass in the bag was the down the field in the middle type pass of off play action. I don't think teams cared at all if Hundley tried throwing the ball out of any run, spread, power, pass pro, whatever formation. They just brought people up and put pressure on him because he could never beat them with anything else.

What I do know, a good running game will help the play action. I don't think GB with Rodgers will ever run the ball enough to be known as a running team to really build the threat of play action. Teams are always going to prepare for Rodgers to beat them with the pass as it's his strength. and despite all of that, we've had an offense that's landed outside of the top 10 maybe twice in 10 years. I think the circumstances of the past 3 years really lend me to a "no ****" reaction to this article. I mean you can pick any team at any point in history and point out the obvious by narrowing down the variables enough. Who would think we'd have a great play action team in a season where most of the offensive line is out till 2/3rd's of the way thru the season and even then, both starting tackles needed off seasons surgery and your guards. You lost your best stretch the field WR and both your other starters were injured all year and their level of play was obvious on a play in and play out basis all season long. Couple that with a 280lb lazy RB that's injured. Recipe for play action success?

Or a season in which you lose 4 or 5 of all 4 or 5 RB's you bring in to camp are injured and you have to convert a WR to RB and your defense is ravaged with injury and you're playing catch up all season long or in high scoring games from week 1 till the NFCCG. The perfect storm to run a successful play action offense? Or last year, we had RB's, we still have WR's and then had a QB who couldn't throw that ball in the middle of the field within 10 yards of anybody except a defender.

We need better TE play, that's obvious. Even with a good RB, we'll still be a passing team with Rodgers, but we can definitely set up the play action pass to Aaron's advantage. I think with the 2 guys we have now it will look a lot better next year assuming health of course we'll look better in the play action aspect of the game regardless of who's calling plays or designing game plans. Because of Rodgers, I don't think we'll ever be an offense based off run looks. But if Jones can bust a few and Williams can consistently get 4 or 5 in situations where we need 2 or 3, we'll probably see 4-5 huge plays out of play action every game. and Aaron's accuracy on those is just a tick or 2 better than Hundley's :)

Your rant because someone dared to point out that the Packers offense struggled in a specific area doesn't change the fact that the unit would be more successful by improving on play action passes.