Joe Philbin is coming back

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Am I missing something here ? Our defense has been the cause of our woes the past few years. Fair enough our offense haven`t set the skies alight, but it`s our defense sucked. I`m seeing all these names bandied about but what about the defense coaches for pity sake ????

not being released yet..some have been interviewed...

the guy from Chicago cant be interviewed until Tuesday?

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein

#Bears DC Vic Fangio isn't a free agent until next Tuesday at 12:01 a.m. Teams must ask for permission from #Bears to interview for a lateral position until then. #Packers likely waiting until then since Fangio is #Bears head-coaching candidate.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm OK with this move. But if the GM and the key coaching positions are all going to be internal or "get the band back together" moves, I'm not going to be pleased.

Some fresh perspective is needed.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm OK with this move. But if the GM and the key coaching positions are all going to be internal or "get the band back together" moves, I'm not going to be pleased.

Unlike many in here.. I support Mcarthy, however... I agree with this. Some fresh perspective would be a very good idea.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, my instincts were right upon hearing the news that Edgar Bennet went back to WR coach. And I'm glad to have him back too. I know the offense has been under MM's control, but I do believe Philbin had a lot of input back in the days that we were putting up those high numbers. I like to think this is sort of like Josh McDaniels returning to New England.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I missing something here ? Our defense has been the cause of our woes the past few years. Fair enough our offense haven`t set the skies alight, but it`s our defense sucked. I`m seeing all these names bandied about but what about the defense coaches for pity sake ????

Dude, it's like barely been a week that our offseason has started and we got plenty of time to go get the DC and his assistants.

I assume by key coaching positions you mean the defensive staff as that's been where the most significant changes are this offseason. I don't get a sense MM is going to be doing in-house promotions with his defensive staff unless Winston Moss or somebody (God forbid Joe Whitt) showed a good reason to do so. Now if its Kevin Greene who they're trying to offer the position of DC ... well I guess I'd have mixed feelings on that one.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still not 100% sold on MM,but excited to say the least. If we got Schneider I would be over the moon.
As has been made abundantly clear, he's not available. Besides, Schneider has kinda been on the schneid in has last few drafts anyway.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, my instincts were right upon hearing the news that Edgar Bennet went back to WR coach. And I'm glad to have him back too. I know the offense has been under MM's control, but I do believe Philbin had a lot of input back in the days that we were putting up those high numbers. I like to think this is sort of like Josh McDaniels returning to New England.
Bennett quit. He said no to the demotion.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philbin sounds like an excellent choice that we can get excited about. Nobody was screaming for the OC to be fired this season, but this might be a more important signing than we realize. Hope they do as well filling their other open spots.

H

HardRightEdge

I assume by key coaching positions you mean the defensive staff as that's been where the most significant changes are this offseason.
Yes, I would be disappointed if the DC was an internal candidate.

Philbin''s role is not yet defined. It could be another of those funky positions like "Assistant Head Coach and QB Coach", i.e., "Rodgers Whisperer and Another Title to Justify His Pay".

While I agree that the past mix of titles looks like too many cooks, and I would not want to go back there, some infusion of fresh offensive ideas is in order.

The game evolves, defenses react to offensive trends, then offenses need to counter. If going back to the offense of 2011 is the idea here, that's not going to work without some new wrinkles.

I don't have a problem with McCarthy's play calling per se, but the route combinations or lack thereof look a little stale and a little predictable, and the offense never fully adjusted to all the two-high safety being thrown at them in reaction to "we're a downfield passing offense".

There is a personnel issue, to be sure. I don't think anybody game plans for Nelson anymore. He can be an effective possession and red zone receiver with Rodgers but the days where he could take the top off a defense with his long speed appear to be over.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is quite the task, can he succeed?

"As Philbin said Wednesday upon his official return to the Pack after seven years away, "making Mike McCarthy look like the smartest play caller in the National Football League," is one of his priorities."

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
While I was negative about some of the other moves, I'm more up beat about this one. I think Philbin works well with McArthy and Rodgers. I can imagine he wanted to get away for a while after his son's tragic death in GB, but I'm glad he's back.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very happy with Uncle Joe returning; this could be a very good thing for the Packers, and also for Joe and his family.
Interesting- and exciting - to read that Joe and MM are sitting down and going over changes to everything offence.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very happy with Uncle Joe returning; this could be a very good thing for the Packers, and also for Joe and his family.
Interesting- and exciting - to read that Joe and MM are sitting down and going over changes to everything offence.
They're installing a whole new array of Cobb running plays :)

No seriously, I'm happy Philbin is back. Hope the game hasn't passed the McCarthy/Philbin team by.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy and Philbin saying that they're going to start from scratch and re-build the playbook has me very excited.

Philbin did really well here. The players all liked him. I'm pretty dang hopeful that this is gonna work out.

Comparative to what a lot of other teams have done, I think the combination of Philbin/Pettine was a slam dunk.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm angry about this. I really wish they would have gone through an actual interview process to find someone capable of evolving this stale offense . Just sticking to the status quo, since that has worked so well

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm angry about this. I really wish they would have gone through an actual interview process to find someone capable of evolving this stale offense . Just sticking to the status quo, since that has worked so well

What’s the problem with bringing back a guy for the role who was so successful in it last time that he got hired to be a head coach?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What’s the problem with bringing back a guy for the role who was so successful in it last time that he got hired to be a head coach?
He was running McCarthy's offense. So we can plan on another year of being unable to bring anyone in because it takes 3 years to learn this offense, and relying on Rodgers to make things happen by himself.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He was running McCarthy's offense. So we can plan on another year of being unable to bring anyone in because it takes 3 years to learn this offense, and relying on Rodgers to make things happen by himself.

How is that true though? McCray came in and was pretty good. Evans, who he was replacing, was good in his first year as well. Linsley was a good starter as a rookie. Bakhtiari started right away and took his lumps but not because of scheme. We just had two rookie backs jumpstart our running game. Adams and Cobb made big contributions over their first two years.

That sounds like a silly narrative to me.

If they were going to keep McCarthy, then it seems to me the best thing would be to bring back the guy who helped orchestrate the best McCarthy’s offense has ever been. If they want a new offense, and I’m not saying it’s dumb to take issue with this system especially in recent years, they need to fire McCarthy. And that’s just what will happen if they don’t win.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
because the offense has been such a problem lol.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they want a new offense, and I’m not saying it’s dumb to take issue with this system especially in recent years, they need to fire McCarthy.
Yeah, I mean honestly, if they don't trust McCarthy to run the offense, then they need to fire McCarthy. It's not like he's being kept around because of his defensive genius.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts