Votes: 20 41.7%
  • They are okay

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters

Star Power

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, on the Joe Buck/Aikman.

I don't like Troy's analysis as I think he hasn't stayed up with the developments of a changing game which makes his comments bland. Buck got his breaks into sportscasting because of his dad. He is bland in his delivery with superficial knowledge of the game. As a pair I can tolerate them but not moved by them. Kinda like listening to Collinsworth. Romo is different and a breath of fresh air but I think his handlers are trying to get him to tone down his "predictions" of coming plays which will make him more like the rest of 'em. He was a student of the game and understands it well. He'd make a helluva coach.

Last edited:

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Hollywood Henderson liked to have fun. He was always talking. Some called him the NFL’s Muhammad Ali. “He’s the greatest, I’m the latest,” Hollywood said.

The Latest said Bradshaw was so dumb “he couldn’t spell ‘cat’ if you spotted him the c-a.”

Bradshaw’s response: “This isn’t nuclear physics, it’s a game. How smart do you have to be?”
I was saying when he is referred to as stupid, he’s pretty successful for being so called stupid I just wanted some examples of his stupidity that’s all

Star Power

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What does this mean? I couldn't figure it out even after my second cup of coffee.

Sorry S K, Thinking faster than my typing as I waited on my coffee to kick in. I just didn't finish typing my thought and didn't proofread.

I meant to say Joe Buck got his breaks into the bidness because of his dad, Jack Buck, well known national sportscaster.

Late night too. Fever induced delirium. (that's all the excuses I can come up with right now).

Sky King

Reaction score
Sorry S K, Thinking faster than my typing as I waited on my coffee to kick in. I just didn't finish typing my thought and didn't proofread.

I meant to say Joe Buck got his breaks into the bidness because of his dad, Jack Buck, well known national sportscaster.

Late night too. Fever induced delirium. (that's all the excuses I can come up with right now).
Take two aspirins and call me in the morning.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really what do you have to back that up
First off, I never said he was stupid. Secondly, I don't know the man personally, so I certainly may have spoken erroneously. Simply going by what I have heard. In other words, I have nothing to back it up.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The 3rd and 8 to Adams.

Buck: what a throw, and catch, what a play what a time for it. With excitement in his tone

Yeah I can see how he is against the packers

WillyP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I must be the only one where announcers never bother me, who cares what they say, i just tune in to watch the game

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Henderson travels the country speaking to students about the evils of addiction and giving motivational speeches. He's been sober since the early 1980's.

He's won the Texas Lotto twice = $38M

Terry Bradshaw did not have the grade point avg to get into LSU (who recruited him) and went to Louisiana Tech instead which was local to his home.
Hollywood lost his career to drugs, was caught with underage girls, did go sober, did hit the lottery, does do speeches and sells videos of them, and when asked what he does everyday since winning the lottery said” nothing, and I don’t start that until afternoon” or something to that effect. He did spend time in prison for ****** assault on one of the girls.
Winning the lottery doesn’t make you a successful person, just a very lucky guy.

One guy made fun of a very successful guy, then lucked into money after becoming a criminal.
The other has had several very successful careers. Is TB really unintelligent?

Star Power

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hollywood lost his career to drugs, was caught with underage girls, did go sober, did hit the lottery, does do speeches and sells videos of them, and when asked what he does everyday since winning the lottery said” nothing, and I don’t start that until afternoon” or something to that effect. He did spend time in prison for ****** assault on one of the girls.
Winning the lottery doesn’t make you a successful person, just a very lucky guy.

One guy made fun of a very successful guy, then lucked into money after becoming a criminal.
The other has had several very successful careers. Is TB really unintelligent?

You have to 1st be cognizant of the fact that HH made fun of TB prior to the SB as a form of trash talk. At the time of the "cat" statement they were both young football players. It was 40 years ago so at the time they were on equal footing as far as success.

I just stated facts . I made no assertions. I did not go into the detail you did. The question was asked what HH was doing and I answered matter of factly . So, were my facts incorrect as I stated them when answering the original question of what Henderson was doing?

The question was not asked what HH did to screw up his early life. I knew all that beforehand. I just threw in the lotto stuff because of how totally unusual it was to win twice in a state of 27 million people. You did leave out his charitable donations while painting your bleak version. I did leave out his statement on "doing nothing" but that was something he said, not what he was doing.

The only measurement we had for TB's intelligence was the LSU admission standard for GPA. His TV analytics are boring and unimaginitive, a potpourri of worn out cliches' . Seems a smart guy could color it up a bit. You do recognize success does not necessarily equal intelligence?

No doubt HH was a low life POS during that early period of his life. Do you recognize HH's reformed condition? Does he deserve credit for that 180* life change or if no credit at least to let sleeping dogs lie?

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buck and Aikman - to me they are both maddening. Buck is a decent baseball guy. Aikman I have no excuse for. He is as vanilla as ice cream. Their commentary is not well suited for football. Fox could find a much better prime time duo.

Boogar McFarland's commentary pack v detroit 1st game was absolutely inexcusable - unprofessional, chiding, childish, and offensive. His Tampa orange bias against Green Bay revealed itself. ESPN must be in a shambles to hire that dolt. He needs to show his defensive player knowledge or hit the bricks. Could be growing pains, but if thats true than Hornung would still be doing commentary for packer games LOL.

Romo is a master at his craft and I have the feeling NBC is telling him to reel it in which I do not for the life of me understand - he has true knowledge, intelligence. He doesn't slant his views. He from the very start was great. Shouldnt change his style either.

I can see why Collinsworth gets on people's nerves. Sometimes he overanalyzes and overstates and it gets to be too much.

Al Michaels is pretty long in the tooth and its too bad. His age is evident, but 10 years ago he was as good as it gets.

As far as radio is concerned, this is where I am missing it. Back in the day you got Max and Irwin and it was fantastic. I love Wayne and Larry as well but the time delay knocks it down substantially. If someone knows of a true fix please let me know as I always loved the radio broadcast and never listened to network announcers before the whole delay thing came into play.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If someone knows of a true fix please let me know as I always loved the radio broadcast and never listened to network announcers before the whole delay thing came into play
I've seen ads for a "sports" radio that sounds like it lets you delay the radio broadcast for several seconds. There is also a way to let your computer do it. Siriusxm broadcast may be delayed enough to allow you to delay the TV to match up.

The Hold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully Buck and Aikman have extracted themselves from Russell Wilson's sweaty embrace in time for this week's game.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aikman took too many shots to the head. He's boring and doesn't really add anything meaningful to the game. And you can count on him finding ways to bring up the Cowboys or Jerry Jones in every game he does.

Contrast him with Tony Romo, who is well on his way to being one of the best, if not THE best color commentator in football. I love watching his games because you almost always learn something new every time he's in the booth. You also don't have to listen to any anti-Packer bias with him being a Burlington kid. Tony's still a Packer fan at heart.
I liked Buck's father a lot more. He was the first to do the old AFL Game of the Week even before Curt Gowdy. And believe me it took skill to make those games exciting with the new fledgelings. I think Joe got the chance because of his father's name. But it is OK. St. Louis is a family town. Harry Caray's sons got in because of him. And Dan Kelly's son does Blues games.

D

Deleted member 11740

I can listen to any crew, Joe and Troy included, and take positives/negatives to their takes and styles. Booger McFarland is someone I cannot listen to for more than 5 minutes. He’s insufferable to listen to, has no idea what he’s talking about and commentates like he’s talking to 8 year olds.

McFarland is the f$ckin worst.
Whoever, interviews him and decided he’d be good needs to get fired quickly! Not an opinion, actual fact.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McFarland is the f$ckin worst.
Whoever, interviews him and decided he’d be good needs to get fired quickly! Not an opinion, actual fact.
You are right on. Even my wife who understands only a small amount of football but watches games all the time said the same about him.

TexasCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Buck/Aikman Duo is over used and over rated for games of the week and playoff games, they struggle too much to speak and describe the plays going on right in front of them. I usually stream a live feed and sync it up to the tv rather than listen to them scramble for something to say. I have a hate/hate relationship with Joe buck though, his commentary throughout the MLB playoffs and especially the world series was pretty biased and he fawned over Juan Soto so much it was downright embarrassing. Do i think they are against the packers? only if we are losing or in the threat of losing the lead and my temper flares up. Basically i think he is just not a good football announcer at all, sad thing is hes better than 90% we have to choose from though, so basically the best of the worst.

I think Troy gets drunk before the game or drinks the entire time, he ALWAYS has that red eyed glazed over look in the booth. Same with Bradshaw in the pre/halftime/post game analysis. He just looks like a drunk grandpa making a fool of himself, that guy gets on my nerves bad.

I love when Tony Romo calls a game, by far my favorite announcer.

Booger McFarland...i have no idea how that clown gets paid to be a commentator, its like reliving the Dennis Miller days again.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Dan Kelly's son does Blues games.

John Kelly is okay. He's a good play-by-play guy, although he could use some variety in his terminology. Every shot... "And a DRIVE by Pietrangelo!" "A DRIVE by Schenn." "A DRIVE by O'Reilly!" Every shot is a drive. Maybe mix it up with wrister, one-timer, slapshot or whatever. But Darren Pang is a great color guy for the Blues and compliments John very well. I hated that bastard when he was a goalie on the Blackhawks (even though he wasn't really very good) but now I love Panger as the Blues color commentator lol.

So... now this begs the question. Any other Blues fans on here?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
John Kelly is okay. He's a good play-by-play guy, although he could use some variety in his terminology. Every shot... "And a DRIVE by Pietrangelo!" "A DRIVE by Schenn." "A DRIVE by O'Reilly!" Every shot is a drive. Maybe mix it up with wrister, one-timer, slapshot or whatever. But Darren Pang is a great color guy for the Blues and compliments John very well. I hated that bastard when he was a goalie on the Blackhawks (even though he wasn't really very good) but now I love Panger as the Blues color commentator lol.

So... now this begs the question. Any other Blues fans on here?
I am not a Blues fan. I am a Hawks fan. But what you said about John Kelly is exactly how his father, Dan, called the game. But then that was when national games of the week were new. We used to mimic Dan at games.." SHOOOOOTING!" Or " He hit the goal post!" " Cleared it but not out. " And oh could he hit the high note. " Bobby Orrrr!"

GaryE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe and Troy made the divisional playoff game almost unwatchable for me and some of my packer buds. Their commentary when the packers are playing just put you in a bad mood. I don’t know if it’s just us but it’s hard to watch with them commentating packer games.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts