JK-47

H

HardRightEdge

Not entering a discussion on this, but just merely trying to appease my curiosity, you do know an AK-47 (while numerous mechanical and design differences) is essentially the same as the AR-15 just a slightly larger bullet size? Again let me stress I in ZERO way desire to debate you, just curious.
Is AR-15 a Rodgers nickname? I would not approve of that either. I also do not care to engage in discussion on the pros and cons.

Reaction score
Given how nicknames are doled out, they probably call him "Scotty" or just "J.K." in the locker room.

pro-football-reference.com often shows notable nicknames. For instance, Jared Goff's is shown as "Mr. Perfect", which is ironic given he's tied for 2nd. in most INTs this season, but I digress.

The following link shows the all-time ranking of qualfying punters in terms of gross average:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/punt_yds_per_punt_career.htm

Of the top 10, the only guy shown to have a nickname at p-f-r.com is Pat "The Boomstick" McAfee. We all may have missed the boat in not coming up with Bryan "Strike Out In" Anger, but that's water under the bridge.

The greats from prior eras, Ray Guy and Yale Lary, appear to have gone nickname-free. Lary was a very good DB, good enough to be in the HOF, so he could have been "Double Trouble". Since there were still some good two-way offense/defense players in the league that would have been a bit much.

In short, to avoid an overreach, I'd stick with "Scotty" or "J.K."
I like Scotty. He can Engineer a Punt. Plus people might not take him seriously if they think he is J/K :whistling:

D

Deleted member 6794

In situations where Scott has enough field to give it all he's got, say inside the Packer 35, according to the ESPN play-by-plays his gross punts have been:

CHI: 53, 42, 63, 50, 63
MIN: 43, 44, 47, 59, 48
DEN: 50, 66
PHI: 52
DAL: 48, 57, 45, 41, 58

That's a 51.6 yard average on those air-it-out kicks. I don't think that number is dramatically above average, but what we do see is consistency (no killer shanks) with some above average distance.

FWIW Scott ranks sixth in that category among 36 punters in the league this season.

H

HardRightEdge

FWIW Scott ranks sixth in that category among 36 punters in the league this season.
That would be consistent with his 4th. ranked gross average of 48.3. The question is what the average punter does in those inside-own-35 situations, those 16th. and 17th. ranked ranked guys in that category.

The thing is the average gross yardage punters in the league this season so far are Lachlan Edwards (16th. at 47.0) and Michael ****son (17th. at 46.1), a one or two yard difference from Scott. I would expect that Scott's edge over average on these long punts is a matter of only a yard or two as well. If there are 3 or 4 punts per game on average in these situations, the difference between better punters and average punters might be 5 to 8 yards of field position in a typical game, better than the alternative but significant.

It's good to have a good punter. It's a notable problem if your guy is in the 41-43 range as the bottom ranked punters show unless those guys have had a disproportionate number of shorter punts where they are trying to finess the thing inside the 10. But unlike other positions the difference between top 5 and average is not very great.

The other punter task, which we tend to think of as generic, is holding on place kicks. It is not generic. There's timing and placing the ball in the precise spot and angle that the kicker expects. The margin for error is very small. Kicker confidence must be very high. We can't measure this.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The JK-47 is really dumb. If his number was 47, sure. Otherwise, as pointed out, what possible connection is there to the assault rifle? And, hence, AR-15 is/would be really dumb as a nickname for Aaron.

And, whoever said the AR-15 and AK-47 are essentially the same weapon was way off. Other than both being able to fire full auto, there's a reason the AK-47 is the most used shoulder weapon.

Other than that, good posts. :)

OP
OP
greengold

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're pretty much getting 47 yds per punt with a JK-47... just sayin'. #3 ranked Punter in the NFL overall, with a 48.3 avg #4, 44.1 net #9, long 66 #6, 12 of 29 inside the 20 #4, only 12 of 29 returned #4.

JK-47.

D

Deleted member 6794

That would be consistent with his 4th. ranked gross average of 48.3. The question is what the average punter does in those inside-own-35 situations, those 16th. and 17th. ranked ranked guys in that category.

Scott has averaged 3.2 yards more per attempt than all other punters combined (48.4) in those situations.

H

HardRightEdge

Scott has averaged 3.2 yards more per attempt than all other punters combined (48.4) in those situations.
I ran a pro-football-reference.com play query for all punts in the league from the punting teams' own 35 yard line or longer. It returns 36 punters, 393 punts, 48.6 yard average. Scott's numbers in the query (18 punts, 51.6 average) match what I compiled manually in post #13 above.

So, that shows Scott at +3.0 yards on these air-it-out punts against the entire league's average. That's pretty good. But it also includes 4 punters who lost their jobs at least temporarily and 4 replacements who came off a practice squad or the street.

The 16th. ranked player on these punts is Brett Kern at 50.4. The 17th. ranked punter is Jake Bailey at 49.7. this syncs with my earlier conjecture that the difference is only a yard or two compared to "average punters" from this perspective, not a meaningful difference where there have been 3.6 such punts per game for the Packers so far.

The league average skews down because of the bottom 8 punters accounting for 79 punts averaging 42.4 yards per kick from their own 35 or longer. In the aggreate, these guys are bad punters.

By various metrics, the top 16/17 punters are closely clustered. The value in having a guy like Scott isn't that he's in a virtual tie for #3 in gross average. It's that he's in the top 16/17 in gross, net and air-it-out punts. And he's has not had a punt blocked. This is not a disparagement. All those guys top 50% guys are pretty good.

As to that latter point, blocks, there's a caveat in these air-it-out stats. What all of these top 16/17 punters have in common is they have not had a punt blocked. This data counts a block as a punt for zero yards. The official individual punter stats do not count blocks. There have been four blocks in the league so far.

Hekker, a 4-time All Pro, has a sub-par 47.6 on these air-it-out kicks, 25th. in the league. Has he lost his leg? No, he had a punt blocked. Take that out of the data and his average goes to 52.4, top 6 and 1.4 yards behind the league leader, Bryan "Strike Out In" Anger, and slightly better than Scott.

The worst kicker in these air-it-out rankings, 36th. ranked, is Matthew Bosher with a dismal 37.4 average on 7 punts. He had one blocked. Take that out and his average is still a bad 43.7 yards, tied for 30th. He's been a solid, even if not top drawer, punter for Atlanta for a long time. Did he lose his leg? Maybe not; he's stuggled with a groin injury and was replaced by Wile for a couple of games.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

The question has been posed as to why Justin Vogel has not been able to find a job the last two seasons.

There could be a number of factors. Maybe he hasn't been staying in top condition. Maybe he doesn't have anybody to **** balls on the high school practice field. Maybe teams found his place kick holding to be questionable during his short roster stays and tryouts.

Or maybe it's because he doesn't have that consistent flip-the-field leg. In 2017, he had 50 punts from his own 35 or longer with none blocked. His average on those kicks was 46.2 yds. That would rank 26th. among kickers this season. Maybe a little worse if I threw out all 4 of this season's blocks. He had only 3 punts over 60 yards. from long distance in 2017, 16 punts of 50 or more in those situations, less than 1/3.

The league is on the hunt for guys with consistently big legs who don't mess up place kick holds. Vogel scores low on at least the first count.

Last edited by a moderator:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And, whoever said the AR-15 and AK-47 are essentially the same weapon was way off. Other than both being able to fire full auto, there's a reason the AK-47 is the most used shoulder weapon. :)

This is just false. There is no such thing as a legal full auto AR-15. The ONLY way one exists is if someone actually machines it to do so, and therefore has broken NUMEROUS gun laws. You are thinking of the M16.

Back on track of the post and we can get rid of the misinformation, I agree clearly the JK-47 nickname isn't gonna fit. Call him whatever you want, I am ecstatic he is our punter!

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Talk about a weapon... JK Scott is en Fuego.

In 5 games this season he has 12 punts for more than 50 yds. Four of those were 60+. Tried pumping into the draft thread but feel his contributions deserve a bit more recognition rather than being buried there.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...joying-pro-bowl-caliber-start-to-2019-season/

I liked him coming out of college, especially his hang time. Not only does he tilt the field, he effectively neutralizes any above-average punt returner. He's a factor.

OP
OP
greengold

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was a great piece written on Tony Brown, and his thoughts on Scott. He was Scott’s gunner for 4 years at Alabama and has seen him punt for 6 years running now. Wish I could find that... pretty cool though.