Jeff Janis to DB?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know some of you will scoff at the ideal but I actually think it could work. look wrs have made the change from college wr to NFL corner...in fact Shields is one of those guys. If they aren't going to use him on offense maybe the guy can help in the secondary.

Before some of you question rather or not he can tackle? Don't forget, he's been one of the better gunners in the league. What are gunners required to do? go tackle the return guy!! So I know for a fact he's not afraid to hit.

He's also not a little dude..so I wouldn't worry about him getting beat in jump ball situations nor being outmuscled by some of the stronger WRs. We also know the guy can run as well. Is he faster than quick? Sure he is...but as much as Capers likes to play zone I'm sure he's more than capable dropping back to an area and manning his zone. If he's asked to play man to man he could probably do it. He may have a tough time against quicker guys like OBJ and Brown but that's why you get physical with this guys at the line: Janis is pretty physical when he gets his hands on you.

As a wr his understanding of route concepts and what WRs are trying to do is also a positive. I say why not? If you aren't going g to use him on offense see if he can help soemwhere else. I honestly dont think he'd have a problem with it. Seems like a team guy who will do whatever to see the field. Shrugs* just a thought .

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
LOL.....I tossed this idea out the other day as a joke.....if its employed and works out, I want some of what Jeff is making! :D

But I don't think he would even be close to being ready to switch positions and play as well as he has as a WR....until maybe.....2019 :coffee:

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy can't even run the right WR routes. I don't think he'll be able to pick up arguably the hardest position to play.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again...use him in Certain packages. I'm sure he's bright enough to play 8 yards off the wr...our regular corners do it all the time haha. You could even drop him back at safety as well and just tell him don't let anyone behind you! I do t think it's entirely impossible.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know some of you will scoff at the ideal but I actually think it could work. look wrs have made the change from college wr to NFL corner...in fact Shields is one of those guys. If they aren't going to use him on offense maybe the guy can help in the secondary.

Before some of you question rather or not he can tackle? Don't forget, he's been one of the better gunners in the league. What are gunners required to do? go tackle the return guy!! So I know for a fact he's not afraid to hit.

He's also not a little dude..so I wouldn't worry about him getting beat in jump ball situations nor being outmuscled by some of the stronger WRs. We also know the guy can run as well. Is he faster than quick? Sure he is...but as much as Capers likes to play zone I'm sure he's more than capable dropping back to an area and manning his zone. If he's asked to play man to man he could probably do it. He may have a tough time against quicker guys like OBJ and Brown but that's why you get physical with this guys at the line: Janis is pretty physical when he gets his hands on you.

As a wr his understanding of route concepts and what WRs are trying to do is also a positive. I say why not? If you aren't going g to use him on offense see if he can help soemwhere else. I honestly dont think he'd have a problem with it. Seems like a team guy who will do whatever to see the field. Shrugs* just a thought .

He hasn't learned how to play his current position yet, so I don't see him as mastering another.......

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He hasn't learned how to play his current position yet, so I don't see him as mastering another.......

I was always curiuous as to where this came from? Or if this is even still the case. Because before it was an issue with him catching the ball. How do we know now that he's struggling with learning the position?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well we have no other eyes on him now, but in Camp for a couple years running, the theme was Janis was always in the wrong spot. Repeatedly, every day running incorrect routes, and just not being where he was supposed to be. From beat writers to sports radio and a few times on the field when he zigged when he should have zagged. Considering his playing time hasn't increased to a significant portion of this offense when we've been down a receiver and he has great physical attributes and speed, i'm guessing he hasn't gotten better in that regard or we'd be seeing him a lot more.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I was always curiuous as to where this came from? Or if this is even still the case. Because before it was an issue with him catching the ball. How do we know now that he's struggling with learning the position?
At times is suppose to run a certain route and take his guy with him..

But fails, forget the game this year, but was at home, deep pass to left side. He didn't run properly and Rodgers tossed an int because if it.

Leroy Butler chalk Talk laid it out perfect

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well, right now he's behind Geronimo Allison, a rookie undrafted free agent, on the depth chart, so there's that. It's not like Allison is bigger, faster, more experienced or drafted higher, so it must be something else.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
All kidding aside, I think this shows just how desperate of a situation, at least the way some of us fans perceive it to be, the Packers may be at CB to even suggest lining Janis up there.

News on injuries/adjustments to the position is what I have been patiently waiting to here, but we may not know until Sunday?

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the biggest problems defensively over the last few years has been miscommunication in the secondary. Can you imagine putting Janis back there? He hasn't learned the offensive plays yet, there is no way he could pick up Capers defense!

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the biggest problems defensively over the last few years has been miscommunication in the secondary. Can you imagine putting Janis back there? He hasn't learned the offensive plays yet, there is no way he could pick up Capers defense!

Not by Sunday no. Give him a summer I think he could do it. Until the. Just tell him weather he's in man or zone haha. That's not to hard to figure out. Better yet. Say just mug OBj at the line and try to stay with him. If he runs a slant or crossing route you have help underneath.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It can be done but I think its too late in the season right now for this year. Jason Sehorn was a WR he didn't start playing corner until he got in the NFL.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
I would rather put Starks on IR (he's not needed anyway) and bring up CB Herb Waters from the PS. Waters is an excellent athlete and at least has been practicing at CB all season. (Coincidentally, Waters played WR at Miami, however, he did play some CB in high school.)

Maybe if Randall and Rollins weren't making Terrell Buckley look like a great draft pick (by comparison) people wouldn't be grasping for straws like this.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It can be done but I think its too late in the season right now for this year. Jason Sehorn was a WR he didn't start playing corner until he got in the NFL.

That's what I was saying. Let him try it over the summer to learn the position and see how he does. I know he ain't picking it up by Sunday. But at the same time, I wouldn't be opposed to it if Capers was like Janis we have a couple packages for you at corner/safety. When Brice goes into the slot to cover the Tightend, and Morgan moves to LB in passing situations your job is just to keep everything in front of you. Ijs

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather put Starks on IR (he's not needed anyway) and bring up CB Herb Waters from the PS. Waters is an excellent athlete and at least has been practicing at CB all season. (Coincidentally, Waters played WR at Miami, however, he did play some CB in high school.)

Maybe if Randall and Rollins weren't making Terrell Buckley look like a great draft pick (by comparison) people wouldn't be grasping for straws like this.

Exactly. I'm trying to win and not get ousted at home by the Giants..again. The ENTIRE world knows our weakness is at corner, and Eli has three very good WRs at his disposal that he is going to try to get going. Where is the corner help?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

This seems to make the most sense, but is Waters game ready? I keep waiting for some kind of news out of GB on the CB situation. I am half expecting to see them pick up a CB from another practice squad or some unemployed Vet like Keenan Lewis. I would find it hard to believe that they want to go into the game Sunday with just the players that were able to finish the game in the secondary on Sunday night.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis isn't smart enough to tell his **** from a hole in the ground, and know he should be a DB?

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If not corner, then Safety it is. He has the speed to blitz and can tackle anyone breaking out. Move Hyde to corner.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This seems to make the most sense, but is Waters game ready? I keep waiting for some kind of news out of GB on the CB situation. I am half expecting to see them pick up a CB from another practice squad or some unemployed Vet like Keenan Lewis. I would find it hard to believe that they want to go into the game Sunday with just the players that were able to finish the game in the secondary on Sunday night.

I second this. But it's weds and still nothing. You have Hyde, Gunter and Randall. They need at least two more corners. God forbid Hyde got hurt returning punts. Hopefully Cobb is back healthy to take over that role. You still need at least one more corner with Dorleant and Rollins probably being out. I like Hawkins but still crickets.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If not corner, then Safety it is. He has the speed to blitz and can tackle anyone breaking out. Move Hyde to corner.

Yea I actually have a package where he would play safety alongside Brice .. I moved both haha and Burnett to rover spots underneath on passing downs.