Jairus Bryd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whats so special about Clemons? I haven't seen or heard much on him.... Looked up his stats and it shows 3 ints , 206 tackles and 1.5 sacks from 2009 to week five of 2013..again don't know much on him. Burnett has produce more that Clemons in less years...340+ tackles and 6 ints since 2010. It doesn't sound like he is all that good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZpackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whats so special about Clemons? I haven't seen or heard much on him.... Looked up his stats and it shows 3 ints , 206 tackles and 1.5 sacks from 2009 to week five of 2013..again don't know much on him. Burnett has produce more that Clemons in less years...340+ tackles and 6 ints since 2010. It doesn't sound like he is all that good.

I tend to agree....I know stats aren't everything.....but I just don't get what all the fuss is about him....

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jarius Byrd stats from 09-13 is 356 tackles, 3 sacks, and 22 ints... Thats a ballhawk a game changer..I am really hoping the Packers are considering making an offer to him. Like I say I am "hoping".

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the past i have typically not been one for signing FA but if there were a time to I would say this would be the time. I am all in for a Byrd signing. A team cannot get by on draft and develop alone like TT has the past few season, it is time for a plunge into FA for a top notch player like Byrd.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really did think it'd be different this year. If it wasn't different this year, it never will be for the personnel departments. I know we need to sign Cobb and Nelson, but good Lord man, you've got nearly 27 million dollars... at least make an effort to fix our defense. This waiting to pick through the scrap heap crap is BS. You want quality? Pay for it...

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems weird that the top Safety in free agency has not been offered a contract..

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well so much for that pipe dream. Doubt he was ever really on our radar and ends up with a team that was over the cap a month ago. Nice.

Is anyone really going to be that surprised if we just plug in Micah Hyde at safety this year and expect a converted corner to solve all of our enormous safety problems from last year? Frustrating.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Generally, I can cope with the fact that the Packers weren't buyers on a high price free agent.

Just wish I had more confidence in the front office to find personnel that can excel in our defensive scheme, especially through the draft.

Last edited:

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is anyone really going to be that surprised if we just plug in Micah Hyde at safety this year and expect a converted corner to solve all of our enormous safety problems from last year? Frustrating.

If you were to set odds in Vegas, Hyde starting at safety opening day would be at 3-1 right now.

Especially now with Byrd, Ward and Jenkins signed to teams and mock drafts showing Dix and Pryor being gone before the Packers draft at #21.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's the point. If you want a free agent candidate for the Packers, don't look at the guys with great stats. All Clemons would be is a more consistent starter that would help stabilize the defense. He wouldn't be an elite player but he also won't command an elite salary.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Generally, I can cope with the fact that the Packers weren't buyers on a high price free agent.

Just wish I had more confidence in the front office to find personnel that can excel in our defensive scheme.

This is kind of where I am at. Did I expect us to sign Byrd, no. But I would like to see some sign, at some point, that we are taking the necessary steps to get back to being a good defense. So far, I see no signs. I see an excessively high level of trust placed in the current system and players. It seems, once again, the plan is to stay the course.

This would be incredibly disappointing to me because I've always had a lot of faith in Ted Thompson. There are a lot of holes in this defense. We are weak inside. We still don't have the strong pass rush on the outside opposite Matthews that we were hoping for. We are very thin on D-ends. We are a 3-4 team without a single nose tackle. We are extremely weak at safety, as bad as I can remember us being there since the pre-Butler days.

We simply have too many holes to count on the draft fixing this overnight and fielding a contending defense in 2014. We have to seek other avenues. Will we be willing to? If not, look for more of the same this season. Granted, there's a long ways to go this offseason. But this defense sorely and desperately needs an additional playmaker -- not a slew of additional role players. We have plenty of "role" players.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys getting Byrd was never even a remote possibility.

You need to set the bar really really low like me! I was hoping like hell we'd make a big splash in free agency by signing a stud like Chris Banjo...and we signed Chris freaking Banjo!!!!!!

Hey at least we still got Aaron Rodgers to get us into the playoffs.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW, Byrd got 6 years, $54M ($9M per year). $28M guaranteed.

I'm not sure how the Saints pulled it off and where they're going to find room for Graham.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Chris Clemons/S/Dolphins (6’1, 214lbs) -A leader in the Dolphins secondary last season, Clemons was the calming influence on a secondary that have a lot of revolving parts due to injuries. He’s a safety that most of the time plays center field and becomes the last line of defense, compared to the more playmaking type of player in the Fins other safety Reshad Jones. Last season, Clemons only allowed two touchdowns, and just over 50% completion percentage when the ball was thrown at him. He also grabbed one interception last season, and made 93 combined tackles. He’s started every game the past two seasons for Miami.

Among those positions the Miami Dolphins are expected to address in free agency is free safety.

Chris Clemons was solid opposite Reshad Jones in 2013, ranking as Pro Football Focus’ ninth-most efficient coverage safety. No safety in the entire NFL gave up fewer yards per coverage snap than the 0.20 yards Clemons conceded on average. But with his contract expiring this month, the Dolphins will have the opportunity to replace him with a more adept playmaker.

Clemons rarely makes mistakes, but the game-changing plays he produces are few and far between. Since 2009, Clemons has only registered four interceptions in 72 games. This is likely a key reason why the Dolphins have reportedly told Clemons to test the open market and come back to them. If accurate, Miami is open to retaining Clemons but obviously doesn’t feel that he’s irreplaceable.

Irreplaceable, no, but Clemons would still be difficult to supplant, especially considering the 2014 draft class doesn’t boast any can’t-miss-prospects at the position. Expect the Dolphins to address the need in free agency but refrain from entering a bidding for the highly coveted Jairus Byrd with the need to nab a cornerstone left tackle in order.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/...is-delmas-in-free-agency/?1Lpc3Ft8yxzLbtJO.99

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chris Clemons/S/Dolphins (6’1, 214lbs) -A leader in the Dolphins secondary last season, Clemons was the calming influence on a secondary that have a lot of revolving parts due to injuries. He’s a safety that most of the time plays center field and becomes the last line of defense, compared to the more playmaking type of player in the Fins other safety Reshad Jones. Last season, Clemons only allowed two touchdowns, and just over 50% completion percentage when the ball was thrown at him. He also grabbed one interception last season, and made 93 combined tackles. He’s started every game the past two seasons for Miami.

I'd certainly take him. But MD Jennings has dropped my standards pretty significantly to the point where I believe that a safety who can randomly sprint around the secondary every time the quarterback drops back and desperately wave his arms over his head hoping to get lucky, would be an upgrade

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How in the heck did they have the cap room? They were "reporting" they were 2.5 mil under the cap..!! How in the heck they got him signed ?! How are they signing JG? oh well... I wonder if the Pack have another dismal year in defense will TT be in the hot seat..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
How in the heck did they have the cap room? They were "reporting" they were 2.5 mil under the cap..!! How in the heck they got him signed ?! How are they signing JG? oh well... I wonder if the Pack have another dismal year in defense will TT be in the hot seat..

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/5571/saints-aim-high-target-s-byrd

The Saints don’t have a ton of salary cap space to work with. But they’ll be at least $6 million under the cap after cutting ties with running back Darren Sproles (which still has not officially happened yet). And they could carve out millions more by restructuring some of their current contracts if they so choose

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is so frustrating. They extended an offer to Lattimore. They are riding that Aaron Rodgers stays healthy. If once again ARod is injured what then?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'd certainly take him. But MD Jennings has dropped my standards pretty significantly to the point where I believe that a safety who can randomly sprint around the secondary every time the quarterback drops back and desperately wave his arms over his head hoping to get lucky, would be an upgrade

Well yeah. Clemons is a solid starting safety. After what I saw out there last year he would be a HUGE UPGRADE. Then TT can draft a guy as well. I am glad everyone is finally leaving Byrd la la land,

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess the most frustrating thing for me is that Aaron is 30... he's in his prime. Let's give him a little freaking help. I remember Brett *****ing about this same thing. They just don't give nearly enough help. We have gotten smoked in the post season on defense 3 years in a row. Take a hint. Get a clue. We have a problem. Capers cannot work magic when he's just out manned. Hardly any coach could. He needs a few difference makers on his side of the ball, we have one, and he is guaranteed to be sitting on the bench 3-5 games a season with a hamstring or apparently a thumb.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess the most frustrating thing for me is that Aaron is 30... he's in his prime. Let's give him a little freaking help. I remember Brett *****ing about this same thing. They just don't give nearly enough help. We have gotten smoked in the post season on defense 3 years in a row. Take a hint. Get a clue. We have a problem. Capers cannot work magic when he's just out manned. Hardly any coach could. He needs a few difference makers on his side of the ball, we have one, and he is guaranteed to be sitting on the bench 3-5 games a season with a hamstring or apparently a thumb.

That's the way I feel. Rodgers is the best quarterback in the league. Give him the horses to win more Super Bowls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.