Jaire Alexander 2022...Extension Inevitable?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It could be a numbers game. With the current roster they may feel extending Gary and Jenkins is the better approach.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It could be a numbers game. With the current roster they may feel extending Gary and Jenkins is the better approach.

The Packers won’t not extend Jaire because they don’t view him as worth the money, it will be precisely what you described and only that which may cause them not to.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I really don’t get all the “Packers letting him go” sentiment. Did Davante not purportedly ask to be traded and refuse a matching or slightly higher offer. Did that not happen or am I missing something?
I think it could be a bit of both. Had the Packers broken the bank prior to the start of the 2021 season, maybe Adams is still a Packer. However, given his "Last Dance Tweet", the uncertainty of Rodgers future and his growing desire to play with the Raiders, maybe he just wanted out. While I would have liked a bit more than we got in the trade, I think in the end, it was a win-win-win for The Packers, Davante and The Raiders.
Agreed. While it would be nice to retain all your great young players, it can be difficult both financially and probably more importantly, the logistics of building a team with decent depth is difficult with a top heavy roster.

The Packers have been a very successful team for quite a few years, with that success comes really good players that want to get paid. Nobody really wanted to see Linsley go last year, but the Packers were able to quickly replace him with Myers. Linsley got a five-year deal at $62.5 M. The Packers are paying Myers $5.58 M over 4 years. Resign Linsley and you probably lose the desire/ability to pay Aaron Jones.

For now Stokes and Douglas are a much cheaper option than Alexander. Better? No, but if you have a choice of keeping 2 of Gary, Jenkins or Alexander, what 2 do you keep?

Reaction score
I think it could be a bit of both. Had the Packers broken the bank prior to the start of the 2021 season, maybe Adams is still a Packer. However, given his "Last Dance Tweet", the uncertainty of Rodgers future and his growing desire to play with the Raiders, maybe he just wanted out. While I would have liked a bit more than we got in the trade, I think in the end, it was a win-win-win for The Packers, Davante and The Raiders.

Agreed. While it would be nice to retain all your great young players, it can be difficult both financially and probably more importantly, the logistics of building a team with decent depth is difficult with a top heavy roster.

The Packers have been a very successful team for quite a few years, with that success comes really good players that want to get paid. Nobody really wanted to see Linsley go last year, but the Packers were able to quickly replace him with Myers. Linsley got a five-year deal at $62.5 M. The Packers are paying Myers $5.58 M over 4 years. Resign Linsley and you probably lose the desire/ability to pay Aaron Jones.

For now Stokes and Douglas are a much cheaper option than Alexander. Better? No, but if you have a choice of keeping 2 of Gary, Jenkins or Alexander, what 2 do you keep?
It’s easy Gary Jenkins and Alexander are my 2 choices :whistling:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay currently has: #1 highest paid QB (AR), #2 highest paid LT (Bakhtiari), #7 highest paid DL (Clark), and #7 highest paid RB (Jones). Knowing that shortly they need to extend: Jenkins, Gary, Savage and Alexander there's very little room to have the #1 highest paid CB, no matter how much he deserves it.

It's very possible in '23 2 of those above (Bakhtiari & Jones) may not be Packers, anymore. Alexander neutralizes the opponent's #1 WR... that's worth keeping, so maybe Jones, Jenkins & Savage move on? Franchise Tag for OL in '23 is projected to be $17.8Mil, which would keep Jenkins around for another year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Green Bay currently has: #1 highest paid QB (AR), #2 highest paid LT (Bakhtiari), #7 highest paid DL (Clark), and #7 highest paid RB (Jones). Knowing that shortly they need to extend: Jenkins, Gary, Savage and Alexander there's very little room to have the #1 highest paid CB, no matter how much he deserves it.

It's very possible in '23 2 of those above (Bakhtiari & Jones) may not be Packers, anymore. Alexander neutralizes the opponent's #1 WR... that's worth keeping, so maybe Jones, Jenkins & Savage move on? Franchise Tag for OL in '23 is projected to be $17.8Mil, which would keep Jenkins around for another year.
It's a "good" problem to have. Even better, when that contract decision involves a position of strength. Wasn't that long ago that the Packers would have loved to have 1 solid CB. Now they appear to have 3. Except possibly to clear some more cap space this season, I don't think the Packers need to rush the Jaire resign. Could his price go up? Probably slightly, but I think worth the risk of just waiting and seeing.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones is a lock to not be on the packers roster beyond this year with that contract.

A contract overhaul would need done for him not to be gone.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones is a lock to not be on the packers roster beyond this year with that contract.

A contract overhaul would need done for him not to be gone.
Or a new one. Jones likes it here. I like him here. Hope he has a good enough year that everyone is gonna like him here. But obviously, as you say, not at the price of his current contract.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or a new one. Jones likes it here. I like him here. Hope he has a good enough year that everyone is gonna like him here. But obviously, as you say, not at the price of his current contract.

I don’t know a single person that doesn’t like the man he seems to be or the player he is. That would never be the reason he isn’t here in future

D

Deleted member 6794

Which is why I said:

As nice as it would be to have 4 top CB's, 3 is a luxury.

I was replying to you mentioning that having three top cornerbacks is a luxury. In today's game that's not true anymore.

I really don’t get all the “Packers letting him go” sentiment. Did Davante not purportedly ask to be traded and refuse a matching or slightly higher offer. Did that not happen or am I missing something?

Everyone keeps saying. “It’s within a players rights” and “it’s a players business decision to look out for their children” and “this and that player didn’t do anything wrong” and “this aplayers isn’t required to take that offer!”

But then.., just hours later…
suddenly it’s:
“I can’t believe those Evil Packers! How dare they let that player go!” Ok ok it’s worded differently but similar sentiment.
I can’t believe they would do this to poor old (fill in name)! “

Which is it? Because my head is spinning with contradictory posts by the same posters.

It doesn't matter as at the end of the day the Packers don't have Adams on their roster anymore.

No, but if you have a choice of keeping 2 of Gary, Jenkins or Alexander, what 2 do you keep?

I tend to keep Gary and Alexander in that case. It's easier to replace a guard than an edge rusher or cornerback.

The Packers would only save $6 million of cap space by moving on from Bakhtiari after this season with $23 million of dead money counting against their cap. In addition they would have to do it before March 20 as he's due a $9.5 million roster bonus at this point.

Most likely, the Packers won't be in a position regarding the salary cap to have someone play on the franchise tag next season either.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I truly believe the Packers need a rookie to be their leading receiver next season to have success. I don't expect them to get it done with Cobb, Lazard and Watkins being the main targets.
That's quite a small box you've put yourself in. I have more faith than you I guess that LaFleur is capable of adapting his offense to effectively utilize offensive weapons.
Might as well also state that I apparently have less faith in rookies than most here. They have a terrible tendency to make dumb, rookie mistakes imo.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t know a single person that doesn’t like the man he seems to be or the player he is. That would never be the reason he isn’t here in future
I think Jones has shown to be a good guy and great ambassador for the Packers. I expect that this will be his last season in Green Bay even though he's been a terrific player here.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Agree, plus we don't know at this time what Stokes' trajectory looks like. He might become as good as, or better than Alexander.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a "good" problem to have. Even better, when that contract decision involves a position of strength. Wasn't that long ago that the Packers would have loved to have 1 solid CB. Now they appear to have 3. Except possibly to clear some more cap space this season, I don't think the Packers need to rush the Jaire resign. Could his price go up? Probably slightly, but I think worth the risk of just waiting and seeing.
Now that the receivers salaries have exploded I believe the CBs will follow suit. Just a matter of time.
I think we should extend JA asap however he may not want to due to the reason I just mentioned.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Now that the receivers salaries have exploded I believe the CBs will follow suit. Just a matter of time.
I think we should extend JA asap however he may not want to due to the reason I just mentioned.
Currently, The Packers will have to pay Jaire a salary of $13,294,000, which is the price of his 5th year option. I don't think he will be any cheaper than that on a new contract. So signing him now, to "save" money, isn't really the case. Now if the Packers want to increase the amount of cap they have to spend in 2022, then a new contract could accomplish that.

We also don't know if Jaire even wants to be a Packer after this season. Everyone wondered why Adams wasn't resigned and I think his "Last Dance" tweet last summer might have been a clue.

I hope the Packers wait on a new deal, if that is an option. IF it isn't or they decide it isn't a deal they want to weight their future down with, we may see them tag and trade him like they did with Davante.

Reaction score
It doesn't matter as at the end of the day the Packers don't have Adams on their roster anymore.
It absolutely matters!

My detective work has paid off.. when I have a person from a short list of interest step into the spotlight as a prime suspect! :coffee:

It wasn’t Mrs White with the Candlestick… nor Colonel Mustard..
it was the Captain! :cool:

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was replying to you mentioning that having three top cornerbacks is a luxury. In today's game that's not true anymore.
Yet, how many teams have 3 very good, above average CB's? My point once again is that if after the season, the Packers find themselves with 3 above average CB's, not including Jaire, I would say trade him for some very decent draft capital and use the salary savings ($20+ M/year) on other players.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Currently, The Packers will have to pay Jaire a salary of $13,294,000, which is the price of his 5th year option. I don't think he will be any cheaper than that on a new contract. So signing him now, to "save" money, isn't really the case. Now if the Packers want to increase the amount of cap they have to spend in 2022, then a new contract could accomplish that.

We also don't know if Jaire even wants to be a Packer after this season. Everyone wondered why Adams wasn't resigned and I think his "Last Dance" tweet last summer might have been a clue.

I hope the Packers wait on a new deal, if that is an option. IF it isn't or they decide it isn't a deal they want to weight their future down with, we may see them tag and trade him like they did with Davante.
I agree in principal.

It must also be said that anything can happen between now and next off season.

Alexander value could go up or down.

He looks expensive now but who knows next spring.

With a deep draft and many defensive players seeking paydays, drafting
I don't understand what Alexander being up for his first big deal has to do with anything I said (Ward signed his first lucrative contract as well). While Jaire might ask for more money the Packers should definitely re-sign him if he settles for one close to the one Ward agreed to.
His first deal is everything!!!

The whole point, the intent, the motivation for these players is money.

What comes from that money depends on the man, but the players want to get paid.

Ascending players with impressive resumes like Alexander WILL want get top dollar.

The prestige of his position, the requirements, and his age will dictate that he gets all he can.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet, how many teams have 3 very good, above average CB's? My point once again is that if after the season, the Packers find themselves with 3 above average CB's, not including Jaire, I would say trade him for some very decent draft capital and use the salary savings ($20+ M/year) on other players.
Winner, winner, winner...I miss that button.

I like that you added "above average" CBs.

I'll take 3 above average CBs on manageable deals than 1 elite guy and scrubs everyday.

This time next year, if Stokes makes a leap, Douglas still performs, and another CB ascends, then start seeking compensation for Alexander.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is why I said:

The Packers have 4 picks in the top 60. If they happen to find a CB that they really like and he looks legit this year, as long as Douglas and Stokes keep playing well, Alexander really is a luxury they might be just fine without.

I realize it wouldn't be a popular decision, but the Packers will have to weigh the cost of keeping him VS the opportunity they might have improving the team by trading him. The longer they wait, the more information they will have to make an informative decision.
Also, Alexander isn't the only young defensive player seeing the big payday.

Gary is up next, and I wouldn't be surprised if Clark starts barking for an extension.

Use this deep draft and get good cheaper defensive guys ready to contribute and develope.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just can't wrap my head around the Packers letting Adams and Alexander leave in consecutive offseasons. But this past few weeks have proven that everything is on the table in the league at this point.
The financial structures of NFL contracts and salary cap are undergoing a sea change.

Players are instigating change and no longer are will wait for "their turn".

If there is an inkling and hopefully confirmation that players won't recommit then start seeking compensation.

This is big business. The time only we as fans should really be emotionally invested is during the season.

Once the season is over different motivations re-emerge.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Winner, winner, winner...I miss that button.

I like that you added "above average" CBs.

I'll take 3 above average CBs on manageable deals than 1 elite guy and scrubs everyday.

This time next year, if Stokes makes a leap, Douglas still performs, and another CB ascends, then start seeking compensation for Alexander.
This is beginning to sound like the post 2015 season and the discussion with what to do about Casey Hayward. Randall had a decent rookie season, Burnett, Hyde, HaHa handled the other DB spots. Hayward was seen as expendable. In hindsight that was not true. Sam Shields never returned from injury and Randall regressed. Half a decade was spent trying to replace future pro-bowler Hayward and next season cast away future probowler Hyde.

If you got 'em, keep 'em.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If you got 'em, keep 'em.
We can all name players on both sides of how things worked out. Resigning guys like Dante Jones, Dean Lowery, etc. to big contract didn't work out very well for the Packers. Why did the Packers resign them? Because they had a big year and more importantly, The Packers had nothing behind them to start if they didn't resign them.

I know everyone loves CB's and it has been years since we had a top one, yet alone 3 pretty damn good ones. That might allow the Packers some flexibility in just how much they are willing to pay to resign Jaire. Because if they don't, his trade value would be high and the savings substantial. If they have a shot at a legit starting CB in their first 4 picks of this draft, I won't be surprised if they take it. IF that Player, Stokes and Douglas all play well in 2022, do you give Jaire a massive contract and put one of those 3 on the bench?

I too hate seeing great players traded away, but cap balance over the entire roster is a smarter way to build a solid roster from top to bottom IMO.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It absolutely matters!

My detective work has paid off.. when I have a person from a short list of interest step into the spotlight as a prime suspect! :coffee:

It wasn’t Mrs White with the Candlestick… nor Colonel Mustard..
it was the Captain! :cool:
Are you discussing Adams again? Perhaps you need to go to a meeting.

Members online

Latest posts