Jaire Alexander 2022...Extension Inevitable?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s a good thing they resigned Douglas because I can see Jaire leaving as well. He’s going to want more than Denzel Ward and he should get the same offer or just as much. I can’t see the Packers doing that…maybe you can get away with giving him the tag for a year but yea…with Adams leaving nothing will shock me.

D

Deleted member 6794

It’s a good thing they resigned Douglas because I can see Jaire leaving as well. He’s going to want more than Denzel Ward and he should get the same offer or just as much. I can’t see the Packers doing that…maybe you can get away with giving him the tag for a year but yea…with Adams leaving nothing will shock me.

If the Packers could sign Alexander to a similar deal as Ward agreed to (which could actually end up being a 4-year, $74.4 million contract) they should definitely do it.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
In my opinion the Packers could feature an elite defense if all of the starters mostly stay healthy for this season. They lack quality depth at each position though, therefore Gutekunst needs to address that side of the ball in the draft as well. But with the offense lacking starting caliber players I would prefer them to use late rounders on defensive players.
Totally agree. Good mix of youth and experience on defense. Hoping Savage proves me wrong.

They lack quality depth at each position though, therefore Gutekunst needs to address that side of the ball in the draft as well.

Eleven picks. Contract expirations forthcoming everywhere on defense. At least 5-6 picks minimum will be on defense imo. Quality depth at this time is unknown as there quite a few 2nd and 3rd players on the defensive side and it's likely some of them will be getting better.

But with the offense lacking starting caliber players I would prefer them to use late rounders on defensive players.

I would prefer he pick the best player on his board for each pick. Doesn't matter at all to me at which pick offensive or defensive players are chosen. Augment the team with the best people and talent you can. Most of these guys won't become core players for at least 3 or 4 seasons anyways.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
While you might be right about it the Packers need some rookies to contribute on offense immediately this season though.
Contributors does not equal core players. What would be nice is if we don't need any rookie o-linemen to be significant contributors this year. Crossing my fingers that we don't have any catastrophic injuries there this year. Some continuity on the o-line would be good.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess my definition of core players as it relates to the Packers, looks like this currently.

Offense: Rodgers, Bakhtiari, Jones
Defense: Clark, Campbell, Gary, Alexander

I'm not expecting any rookie WR to be able wade through the rookie and QB dynamics to be able to be considered a core player by the end of this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not expecting any rookie WR to be able wade through the rookie and QB dynamics to be able to be considered a core player by the end of this year.

I'm not expecting a rookie wide receiver to perform at that level either but it could very well be necessary for the offense to be successful.

Reaction score
If the Packers could sign Alexander to a similar deal as Ward agreed to (which could actually end up being a 4-year, $74.4 million contract) they should definitely do it.
I’d prefer we bide our time and make sure he’s fully recovered first.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It appears that the Packers have no aversion to spending money on players they deem worth it. They paid Rodgers, they paid Clark, they paid Bakhtiari, they paid Jones and they offered to pay Adams. Now some of those guys may not have gotten top position money but they did get paid. I believe they will pay Alexander if his performance continues to warrant it.

I believe Adams left because he wanted to leave. It had nothing to do with the Packers not wanting to keep him or pay him.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not expecting a rookie wide receiver to perform at that level either but it could very well be necessary for the offense to be successful.
I don't see it that way at all. I expect that one or two rookie WR's will be complementary receivers in our offense this year. Rodgers is possibly going to have to be willing to rely on, and throw to guys that he doesn't have much familiarity with. Otherwise, it's going to be mostly Cobb, Lazard and Winfrey in tandem with the TE's and RB's catching passes. Will probably be an evolving situation with the offense looking a little different as the season progresses.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't see it that way at all. I expect that one or two rookie WR's will be complementary receivers in our offense this year. Rodgers is possibly going to have to be willing to rely on, and throw to guys that he doesn't have much familiarity with. Otherwise, it's going to be mostly Cobb, Lazard and Winfrey in tandem with the TE's and RB's catching passes. Will probably be an evolving situation with the offense looking a little different as the season progresses.

I truly believe the Packers need a rookie to be their leading receiver next season to have success. I don't expect them to get it done with Cobb, Lazard and Watkins being the main targets.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
In March they started talks with him. ..not sure if its going good or if it stalled

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No, this is his first big deal. He'll want more than Ward, because he's better than him. He is completely within his rights to get as much money as he can.

I think GB should use a Day 2-3 pick and grab a DB. This draft is deep and offers CBs and Safetys that are above average in traditional size along with the requirements of the position.

D

Deleted member 6794

No, this is his first big deal. He'll want more than Ward, because he's better than him. He is completely within his rights to get as much money as he can.

I don't understand what Alexander being up for his first big deal has to do with anything I said (Ward signed his first lucrative contract as well). While Jaire might ask for more money the Packers should definitely re-sign him if he settles for one close to the one Ward agreed to.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I brought up at the time of signing Rasul, that move was not just bringing back a good player but an insurance precaution for post 2022 and Jaire talks.

As I said with Davante as well, there is a chance he doesn’t sign with GB, I’m about 55/45 on it and lean to he is not but essentially a flip at this moment. I will say this if we draft a pure CB before the end of round 2, I believe that will be a serious sign both sides agree they’re too far apart and this is a last ride for them together in 2022

D

Deleted member 6794

I brought up at the time of signing Rasul, that move was not just bringing back a good player but an insurance precaution for post 2022 and Jaire talks.

As I said with Davante as well, there is a chance he doesn’t sign with GB, I’m about 55/45 on it and lean to he is not but essentially a flip at this moment. I will say this if we draft a pure CB before the end of round 2, I believe that will be a serious sign both sides agree they’re too far apart and this is a last ride for them together in 2022

I just can't wrap my head around the Packers letting Adams and Alexander leave in consecutive offseasons. But this past few weeks have proven that everything is on the table in the league at this point.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just can't wrap my head around the Packers letting Adams and Alexander leave in consecutive offseasons. But this past few weeks have proven that everything is on the table in the league at this point.

I do not want to see that happen at all...cannot imagine.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Totally agree. We'll need to keep a close eye on the tea leaves. There may be "stuff" going on with Alexander that we don't know anything about.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm totally fine with the Packers waiting on Jaire. See what happens in the draft and during the preseason. Maybe even more importantly, see how Jaire's shoulder is. If they feel Stokes, Douglas and *insert name here* are going to be a solid starting CB trio in 2023 and beyond and/or that shoulder is going to be an issue, no reason to be the team to make Alexander the highest paid CB in the NFL. Tag and trade. As nice as it would be to have 4 top CB's, 3 is a luxury. Use the draft capital and $20+ million in 2023 to improve the team elsewhere.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm totally fine with the Packers waiting on Jaire. See what happens in the draft and during the preseason. Maybe even more importantly, see how Jaire's shoulder is. If they feel Stokes, Douglas and *insert name here* are going to be a solid starting CB trio in 2023 and beyond and/or that shoulder is going to be an issue, no reason to be the team to make Alexander the highest paid CB in the NFL. Tag and trade. As nice as it would be to have 4 top CB's, 3 is a luxury. Use the draft capital and $20+ million in 2023 to improve the team elsewhere.

With teams playing the majority of snaps in a nickel defense it's important to have three good cornerbacks.

While it sounds pretty easy to use the draft picks received in return for a blue chip player to improve the team there's no guarantee it actually works out that way.

I definitely prefer to extend Alexander than to trade him next offseason.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
With teams playing the majority of snaps in a nickel defense it's important to have three good cornerbacks.
Which is why I said:

If they feel Stokes, Douglas and *insert name here* are going to be a solid starting CB trio in 2023 and beyond and/or that shoulder is going to be an issue, no reason to be the team to make Alexander the highest paid CB in the NFL.
The Packers have 4 picks in the top 60. If they happen to find a CB that they really like and he looks legit this year, as long as Douglas and Stokes keep playing well, Alexander really is a luxury they might be just fine without.

I realize it wouldn't be a popular decision, but the Packers will have to weigh the cost of keeping him VS the opportunity they might have improving the team by trading him. The longer they wait, the more information they will have to make an informative decision.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't see letting top talent go year after year hoping to replace them with draft picks is the way to keep a winning team. I understand a bit more with Adams because of his age but not with Jaire. Say we get another 4 years and after that he is still great and up for anther big deal. Then you think about letting him go but IMO you have to keep your young talent. Replace your aging veterans but keep the young guys.

Reaction score
I really don’t get all the “Packers letting him go” sentiment. Did Davante not purportedly ask to be traded and refuse a matching or slightly higher offer. Did that not happen or am I missing something?

Everyone keeps saying. “It’s within a players rights” and “it’s a players business decision to look out for their children” and “this and that player didn’t do anything wrong” and “this aplayers isn’t required to take that offer!”

But then.., just hours later…
suddenly it’s:
“I can’t believe those Evil Packers! How dare they let that player go!” Ok ok it’s worded differently but similar sentiment.
I can’t believe they would do this to poor old (fill in name)! “

Which is it? Because my head is spinning with contradictory posts by the same posters.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts