It’s now OFFICIAL!!! Rodgers has been traded to the Jets.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Imagine if the Packers would have drafted for the present in 2020. At least we are both consistent. You seem to be ok with that draft as it pointed to the future and you are okay with moving on for Rodgers as it points to the future. I hated that draft since I am a win now fan, and I didn't want to move on from Rodgers just yet for the same reason.
You are right, there were a lot of picks in that draft that ended up being duds. I'd Love to be able to repick most drafts, but that isn't how it's done. At least Gute seemed to have an eye towards the future and might have scored with the first pick of that draft.

I suppose he could have waited and used a first round pick on a QB in 2021, 22 or 23, but I doubt that would have pleased you either. Let's keep blaming no Super Bowls on the Jordan Love pick!
  • Round 1 (26): Jordan Love, QB, Utah State
  • Round 2 (62): AJ Dillon, RB, Boston College
  • Round 3 (94): Josiah Deguara, TE, Cincinnati
  • Round 5 (175): Kamal Martin, LB, Minnesota
  • Round 6 (192): Jon Runyan Jr., OL, Michigan
  • Round 6 (208): Jake Hanson, C, Oregon
  • Round 6 (209): Simon Stepaniak, OL, Indiana
  • Round 7 (236): Vernon Scott, S, TCU
  • Round 7 (242): Jonathan Garvin, EDGE, Miami (FL)

Reaction score
1. You sound like a Rodgers apologist there. You better hope Poker or Amish don't see this. You might get kicked out of the club.
2. I guess it is my fault, but you really need to read between the lines in most of my posts. IMO we need a sarcasm button.
That sarcasm light would be flashing for half of my posts.

I wasn’t responding so much to your 1 post in some tunnel. More
so just that somehow anti Rodgers fans blame Rodgers every year or that they think Rodgers wouldn’t give us a better short term opportunity. Many fans know better than that, they just want something fresh instead of stale bread. Even if it’s not organic.. give us some Wonder, I’m tired of crunching on Rodgers’ seeds.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You are right, there were a lot of picks in that draft that ended up being duds. I'd Love to be able to repick most drafts, but that isn't how it's done. At least Gute seemed to have an eye towards the future and might have scored with the first pick of that draft.

I suppose he could have waited and used a first round pick on a QB in 2021, 22 or 23, but I doubt that would have pleased you either. Let's keep blaming no Super Bowls on the Jordan Love pick!
Not to mention we only drafted 2 QBs across the decade of drafts before 2020. Zero QB’s drafted in the 4 drafts preceding 2020. That is a Packer historic low across the SB era by a mile and a half. It was waaaay overdue. As you said, Had we not drafted QB in ‘20 it would’ve happened in ‘21 etc.

D

Deleted member 6794

There was a moment in Love's interview talking about leadership qualities he picked up from Rodgers and he was speaking to the urgency Rodgers always had with getting players up to par with the offense and calls and such that he for sure took from him...but at the same time he also at one point eluded to that is was OTAs are for, get that acclimation process started, let us form those relationships and bonds....it is stuff like that and you hear it from everyone, illustrating the importance of them, I'm happy all of our guys are in house even if rehabbing on sidelines and such. Makes me happy.

For the record, Jaire Alexander, David Bakhtiari, Rasul Douglas, Jonathan Garvin, Elgton Jenkins, Dallin Leavitt and Preston Smith weren't present for this week's OTA practice open for the media.

Although I would call it a push between Rodgers and Love on win total playing for the Packers in 2023, I think the odds are greater that Love wins a SB. The odds are long, but I dont think Rodgers had much of any shot. And when you look over the next 5 years, going with Love gives us a much better shot at a Lombardi.

While I don't think the Packers would have had any chance of winning a Super Bowl with Rodgers this season I fully expect they would have won more games with him starting instead of Love. It's unrealistic to truly believe they have a better chance at a Lombardi Trophy in 2023 with a first year starting quarterback.

Bingo...winner winner, chicken dinner. The Packers now have money to spend on other players, extra draft picks and of course hopefully, a budding young QB.

That last part is the huge question mark nobody knows about entering this season. If Love doesn't end up being a budding quarterback the extra players and money won't help a lot.

Although I think Jordan’s INT totals in his Junior college season was an anomaly result from drastic global changes in coaches and Offensive Personnel. If we include that funky season Jordan was still greater than 2:1 TD/INT ratio. So his college performance couldn’t have initiated any major concern.

Once again, Love throwing the most interceptions in the FBS in 2019 is reason for concern. It's possible that won't be an issue in the NFL but there's no way of knowing at this point. In addition he fumbled another 13 times that season.

Another thing to consider is that in 2018 he primarily had impressive numbers against three terrible opponents (UNLV, New Mexico and San Jose State - 14 TDs, 0 INTs) which combined for a record of 8-28 while playing in the mighty Mountain West Conference. On the other side, he had only four TDs but eight INTs in four games against teams from Power-5 conferences in his college career.

With that being said, I'm not considering him a bust because of it by any means (I'm quite sure some of you will ignore that anyway). There's reason to be skeptical about him though. And until he can prove he's a legit NFL starter none of us will truly know.

2011 Giants
50/50 Offense and Defense sucked
Defense sucked
Injury
Special Teams/Defense meltdown
Offense sucked
Injury
Offense sucked
ST meltdown

*There’s 2 seasons where Aaron was healthy and our Offense was middling in Postseason, 1 cost us an NFC match and 1 cost us a SB match.*I don’t put 2015 on Aaron that was a weaker group around him.

It's true the offense didn't play well for most of the game against the Cardinals in 2015 but you might want to take a look back how that game finished. With less than two minutes remaining Rodgers completed two Hail Marys to Jeff Janis to tie the game just for the defense to give up a touchdown on Arizona's first possession in overtime without the Packers getting the ball back. That loss wasn't solely on the offense.

*There 5 more seasons that I’d split the blame on both O+D. If we’re being fair and split those 5 games we could say Offense was responsible for at minimum 2 losses.

I mostly blame the 2020 loss to the Bucs on the defense. While everyone remembers the offense not being able to score a touchdown after getting a first-and-goal from the 8-yard line they played a pretty good game against an elite defense. I mostly blame that one on the defense. In addition the special team meltdown was in 2021.

Unfortunately both Thompson and Gutekunst focused on the future much more than they did on the present. That's not a smart approach when having a team capable of contending for a Super Bowl though.

There were a lot of fans who wanted to redo the 2020 draft immediately after it happened, therefore criticism of it not working out is legit and not based on using hindsight.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record, Jaire Alexander, David Bakhtiari, Rasul Douglas, Jonathan Garvin, Elgton Jenkins, Dallin Leavitt and Preston Smith weren't present for this week's OTA practice open for the media.

Yup, well aware of those active in the OTA practice portion. Of note Bakh, Smith, Jenkins, Leavitt all have been however participating in team's offseason program.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I

I don’t See Rodgers in that light. I think there were a couple of playoffs he didn’t play his best and that might’ve sort’ve cost us when we could’ve pushed on to the next opponent. However I saw the ST meltdown specifically cost us a trip to a SB and a trip to another NFC title game and Rodgers had those games Won.

2009 Arizona
Defense sucked
SB
2011 Giants
Defense sucked
Injury
Special Teams/Defense meltdown
Offense sucked
Injury
Offense sucked
ST meltdown

*There’s 2 seasons where Aaron was healthy and our Offense was middling in Postseason, 1 cost us an NFC match and 1 cost us a SB match.*I don’t put 2015 on Aaron that was a weaker group around him.

*There 5 more seasons that I’d split the blame on both O+D. If we’re being fair and split those 5 games we could say Offense was responsible for at minimum 2 losses.

Id put 2 lost visits to the SB on Aaron n Co across 15 seasons as our starter. He should’ve finished with 2 SB Wins and 3 SB appearances had Rodgers capitalized on games that were within reach. That’s dividing up his share of that responsibility and factoring some losses were Divisional or Wildcard etc. There were several other SB or NFC game misses because of Defense or ST underperforming.

Correction to 2022: ST meltdown AND offense sucked.....BAD...

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Again you have this habit of piling people into groups. I have never said not drafting Love would have led to a SB. The reason being I have no way of knowing that. IMO not drafting Love and using the draft capital used to draft him as well as someone different in the 2nd round and then if the need was that high in the organizations mind draft a QB and RB in the 3rd and 4th rounds would have made the team better. I would personally have liked them to draft a QB on day 3 in 2020, 2021, 2022 & or 2023.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correction to 2022: ST meltdown AND offense sucked.....BAD...
That was the 2021 season with the ST blunder. Of course, when your defense and ST combine to give up only 13 points, the main problem is the offense. Teams that score 13 or fewer points in an NFL game lose most of the time.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was the 2021 season with the ST blunder. Of course, when your defense and ST combine to give up only 13 points, the main problem is the offense. Teams that score 13 or fewer points in an NFL game lose most of the time.

The San Fran ST meltdown was January 2022.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Again you have this habit of piling people into groups. I have never said not drafting Love would have led to a SB.
Sorry, I don't keep track of everyone's individual and sometimes changing opinions and views. However, you pointed specifically to the 2020 draft and stated that you would rather have seen the Packers draft for the present and not the future. I assumed you were talking about the Love pick. Do you think the 2019 Rashan Gary pick (12th in round 1) was for the immediate present? Tell me how you draft a QB for the present? Favre and Rodgers weren't. Even some of the QB's taken in the top 5 picks of a draft end up not producing in year 1, if at all.

Using the argument that the 30th pick and the 136th pick in the draft, that the Packers used to trade up to 26th to select Love, would have made an immediate impact, is a "would of should of could have hind side argument. One that could be used for every draft pick, every year. Let's take the 2020 draft, with the 30th pick the Dolphins selected Noah Igbinoghene and Brycen Hopkins was selected with the 134th pick. I encourage you to look up those 2 players and see what kind of impact they had for their perspective teams. I know though, some want to say "but, but they would have selected Tee Higgens and he definitely would have been more of a positive impact than Love."

I would personally have liked them to draft a QB on day 3 in 2020, 2021, 2022 & or 2023.
Great. At least you are looking into to future with that strategy. How do you think drafting a QB on day 3 turns out, on average? I know, Tom Brady and Brock Purdy.

Bottom line, the Packers invested those 2 picks into Jordan Love, a QB that just possibly might be the answer to what Gute felt was a future need. A need that can be very difficult to fill through the draft or in Free agency.

Reaction score
It's true the offense didn't play well for most of the game against the Cardinals in 2015 but you might want to take a look back how that game finished. With less than two minutes remaining Rodgers completed two Hail Marys to Jeff Janis to tie the game just for the defense to give up a touchdown on Arizona's first possession in overtime without the Packers getting the ball back. That loss wasn't solely on the offense.
2 Hail Marys to “get back in the game” after us scoring 13 points across near 4 Quarters is all we need to know about our “too little too late” Postseason Offense.
Although that admittedly exciting finish was a much better Offensive performance than the 8 Points we scored against Arizona 3 weeks earlier. :tup:

Btw. Carolina stomped on the Arizona Defense with a near 50 Burger the next week. So it’s not like Arizona had some impenetrable Defense.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
2 Hail Marys to “get back in the game” after us scoring 13 points across near 4 Quarters is all we need to know about our “too little too late” Postseason Offense.
Although that admittedly exciting finish was a much better Offensive performance than the 8 Points we scored against Arizona 3 weeks earlier. :tup:
If my memory is correct, Rodgers completed 2 passes for 101 yards on that last drive, both to the mighty Jeff Janis. One of the wildest finishes to a 4th Quarter that I can remember.

I always wonder what would have happened had the Packers gone for the win and instead of kicking the XP, gone for 2.

If they hadn't drafted Jordan Love 5 years later, they win that game in Arizona! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:
Reaction score
If my memory is correct, Rodgers completed 2 passes for 101 yards on that last drive, both to the mighty Jeff Janis. One of the wildest finishes to a 4th Quarter that I can remember.
Yeah. Arizona presented us some great postseason play
2009, 2015, 2021 etc.
Poor Jeff. Nobody liked Jeff. Rumor has it, Jeff didn’t even like Jeff. I liked Jeff

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I liked Jeff Janis, too. :(
As much as I pick on him, I liked him. Seemed like a likable guy, with a great family. He carved out a nice, but brief 4 year career with the Packers. Excelled for a few seasons on special teams and of course that Arizona game will be a memory of a lifetime for him and Packer fans. Not bad for a 7th rounder.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I pick on him, I liked him. Seemed like a likable guy, with a great family. He carved out a nice, but brief 4 year career with the Packers. Excelled for a few seasons on special teams and of course that Arizona game will be a memory of a lifetime for him and Packer fans. Not bad for a 7th rounder.

Jeff is good people, addicted hunter and family man. He fit the Packers to a T and honestly I kinda wished we'd have kept him here to be the Jarret Bush of the WR room....emergency depth, but ST stud. I liked him, but didn't want him as one of my top 4 wR.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have kept him just for special teams. Fast, strong, great attitude. Yes you are right, he fit in GB. Loved to hunt. Good guy I thought

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I kinda wished we'd have kept him here to be the Jarret Bush of the WR room....emergency depth, but ST stud. I liked him, but didn't want him as one of my top 4 wR.
I never heard why the Packers didn't resign him, but have to assume they felt there were just better options. He never was on an active 53 after that. Didn't his special teams kind of decline in his final year? He was always a wildcard as a WR, not exactly sure Rodgers liked seeing him lining up either. That wasn't a rip on Rodgers, just a reflection of Janis's skills as a WR.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never heard why the Packers didn't resign him, but have to assume they felt there were just better options. He never was on an active 53 after that. Didn't his special teams kind of decline in his final year? He was always a wildcard as a WR, not exactly sure Rodgers liked seeing him lining up either. That wasn't a rip on Rodgers, just a reflection of Janis's skills as a WR.

To be fair I'd guess it was his ceiling didn't justify keeping him for his floor honestly. Very fair.

Reaction score

I’ve got a Nephew in LaCrosse that I used to baby sit and looks like him. Although less muscle and more fat :whistling:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't keep track of everyone's individual and sometimes changing opinions and views. However, you pointed specifically to the 2020 draft and stated that you would rather have seen the Packers draft for the present and not the future. I assumed you were talking about the Love pick. Do you think the 2019 Rashan Gary pick (12th in round 1) was for the immediate present? Tell me how you draft a QB for the present? Favre and Rodgers weren't. Even some of the QB's taken in the top 5 picks of a draft end up not producing in year 1, if at all.

Using the argument that the 30th pick and the 136th pick in the draft, that the Packers used to trade up to 26th to select Love, would have made an immediate impact, is a "would of should of could have hind side argument. One that could be used for every draft pick, every year. Let's take the 2020 draft, with the 30th pick the Dolphins selected Noah Igbinoghene and Brycen Hopkins was selected with the 134th pick. I encourage you to look up those 2 players and see what kind of impact they had for their perspective teams. I know though, some want to say "but, but they would have selected Tee Higgens and he definitely would have been more of a positive impact than Love."

Great. At least you are looking into to future with that strategy. How do you think drafting a QB on day 3 turns out, on average? I know, Tom Brady and Brock Purdy.

Bottom line, the Packers invested those 2 picks into Jordan Love, a QB that just possibly might be the answer to what Gute felt was a future need. A need that can be very difficult to fill through the draft or in Free agency.
This will be my last attempt. I believe in winning now. By "now" I do not mean today. I mean as soon as possible. At Gary's position we had some nice players but none of them are FHOF. What I find ironic is that you are the guy who wanted Love playing at the end of last year partly for better draft position, then you are quick to point out that there was no guarantee that the picks used on Love would have worked out for the Pack. By drafting later round QBs you may find one to fill the role of future QB if you get lucky as you point out even top 5 draftees sometimes don't make it at QB. Take a few shots at a late rounder and then use a high pick when you actually need a QB.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many QB's in the playoffs find themselves there with Jeff Janis and Jared Abbredaris as their best passing options? and win?
This was my 1st year playing fantasy football on Fanduel. One of my line-ups had Rodgers at QB and Janis at the minimum salary one of my receivers. That 4th Q comeback had me in 1st place ($4,000). When ARZ. drove the field I fell into a tie for 2nd and won $2,000. I love Jeff Janis.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's absolutely no doubt the offense played a terrible game against the Niners. But if your special teams give up the only touchdown allowed in that game they definitely deserve at least part of the blame. And while the defense played exceptionally well for the majority of the game they weren't able to get off the field when it counted the most either.

The San Fran ST meltdown was January 2022.

True, but the game still happened during the 2021 season.

The 2020 draft was definitely not the right situation to draft a quarterback in the first round with the team coming off making it to the NFCCG and having a HOFer starting. At that point it would have been much smarter to focus on winning now then planning for the future several years down the road.

A need that we still have no idea if it was filled in the 2020 draft three years later.

Btw. Carolina stomped on the Arizona Defense with a near 50 Burger the next week. So it’s not like Arizona had some impenetrable Defense.

I'm not suggesting the Packers offense played well in the 2015 playoff game vs. the Cardinals. But there's no doubt the defense deserves part of the blame for losing that game as well by giving up a TD in overtime in three plays.

I always wonder what would have happened had the Packers gone for the win and instead of kicking the XP, gone for 2.

If they hadn't drafted Jordan Love 5 years later, they win that game in Arizona! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

The part in bold is why there are several posters having an issue with you. What's the point of that??? Of course you don't care because you put posters pointing out stuff like that on ignore as you can't handle it.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no doubt the offense played a terrible game against the Niners. But if your special teams give up the only touchdown allowed in that game they definitely deserve at least part of the blame. And while the defense played exceptionally well for the majority of the game they weren't able to get off the field when it counted the most either.

True, but the game still happened during the 2021 season.

The 2020 draft was definitely not the right situation to draft a quarterback in the first round with the team coming off making it to the NFCCG and having a HOFer starting. At that point it would have been much smarter to focus on winning now then planning for the future several years down the road.

A need that we still have no idea if it was filled in the 2020 draft three years later.

I'm not suggesting the Packers offense played well in the 2015 playoff game vs. the Cardinals. But there's no doubt the defense deserves part of the blame for losing that game as well by giving up a TD in overtime in three plays.

The part in bold is why there are several posters having an issue with you. What's the point of that??? Of course you don't care because you put posters pointing out stuff like that on ignore as you can't handle it.
I actually thought the Love crack was a little bit funny. Especially for him.

Members online

Latest posts