It’s now OFFICIAL!!! Rodgers has been traded to the Jets.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus, they're loaded with talent.

49ers + Aaron Rodgers = Super Bowl favorite.

They’d most likely have to somehow unload some serious players though as they in zero way have the cap ability to swing Rodgers. Deebo or Warner be my bet.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to OTC getting rid of either of these players before June would set them even further back in cap.

In a trade situation cap relief would come through some restructuring of contract as more knowledgeable cap guys than me have said.

Bottomline is to take Rodgers on they’d have to shed some serious cap in some way.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh for sure expected their package to be their three LATE thirds this year and first next year.

I don't like that return of such low essentially fourth round value thirds this year, but three of them is SIGNIFICANT and truthfully could be turned into something more or used to move around the board.
The "sources I have faith in"- trust me it is very little - are saying 2 2023 thirds and a 2024 1st. Using a next year equals 1 round lower than this year theory and IMO SF wins the SB next year with AR that package is equal to this years #42 pick alone. No Thanks.

Reaction score
The Jets could structure Lamar's contract in a way for him counting only $16
Which is why I said in a trade between multiple drafts picks and pushing cap down the road. If Lamar has any type of real regression (see Wilson) expect that team to be the next version of the Chicago Bears.
I said the exact same thing with the Khalil trade and Everyone thought I was a total idiot. Turns out I’m only a partial! :tdown:

Reaction score
In a trade situation cap relief would come through some restructuring of contract as more knowledgeable cap guys than me have said.

Bottomline is to take Rodgers on they’d have to shed some serious cap in some way.
I know it’s fun to imagine and discuss and all that. What benefit would GB have to building our NFC nemesis into a SB slayer? That’s the trade #4 worst possible NFL team option imo. Lions, Vikings, Bears, 49ers…etc

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Honestly, salary cap reasons I don't see 49ers even remotely being able to do this...

The Niners could easily create enough cap space to make trading for Rodgers work by restructuring or extending the contracts of Armstead, Bosa, Kittle, McCaffrey and/or Williams.

Which is why I said in a trade between multiple drafts picks and pushing cap down the road. If Lamar has any type of real regression (see Wilson) expect that team to be the next version of the Chicago Bears.

There's no doubt that the Jets signing or trading for Lamar would be a risky move but they could benefit doing it for a decade down the road as well. There's no chance of that happening with Rodgers.

I know it’s fun to imagine and discuss and all that. What benefit would GB have to building our NFC nemesis into a SB slayer? That’s the trade #4 worst possible NFL team option imo. Lions, Vikings, Bears, 49ers…etc

The Packers should trade Rodgers to the team offering the best deal. I don't give a damn whether that's an NFC team.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would treat it the same as the draft. If the Jets offer is in the same tier but not quite as good as the SF offer I would go with the Jets. If the SF offer is a tier above I would take that offer. If a player at a position of need is in the same tier as a higher ranked guy that is not a need I take the former. If the non need position is BPA & a tier above all of the needs guys I take him.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the 9ers can afford Rodgers TBH without giving up a player and as mentioned, many picks. Including next years first. But, that said, if they can get creative with their cap and trade us Aiyuk, their third rounders, and a first next year I'm all ears.

Reaction score
There's no doubt that the Jets signing or trading for Lamar would be a risky move but they could benefit doing it for a decade down the road as well. There's no chance of that happening with Rodgers.
He won’t last 10 seasons at his rate. I mentioned 3 seasons ago that Lamar will not have a long career as a RB. We are already starting to see injuries Mount. Just wait until he’s well in his 30’s and it takes twice as long to heal. He’s going to run himself out of the league if he’s not careful.

Easter tip: never put all your Eggs in one NFL basket
The Packers should trade Rodgers to the team offering the best deal. I don't give a damn whether that's an NFC team.
See I’m of different mindset. I absolutely give a damn.
I don’t want him going to SF over a trivial difference in draft capital.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If the deals are close, ship him to the AFC. If there is a significant difference, ship him to the best offer especially if you think the shelf life of Rodgers is 1-2 seasons anyways. One of those seasons will be this year where the Packers are probably not a realistic SB contender so, if he helps some NFC team win this year (that isn't in our division), who cares.

Plus, if the 49ers, the Packers could spin it to a PR 'win'. "We appreciate everything he did and gave him the chance to play with the team from when he was a boy"

Reaction score
If the deals are close, ship him to the AFC. If there is a significant difference, ship him to the best offer especially if you think the shelf life of Rodgers is 1-2 seasons anyways. One of those seasons will be this year where the Packers are probably not a realistic SB contender so, if he helps some NFC team win this year (that isn't in our division), who cares.

Plus, if the 49ers, the Packers could spin it to a PR 'win'. "We appreciate everything he did and gave him the chance to play with the team from when he was a boy"
It would have to be substantially better to trade him in our Conference. Like involving multiple 3rd Rounders and a future Day 1 with no strings.
I’d rather have a pair of 2nd’s now from NY. Plus maybe a future 3rd or 4th Rounder if Rodgers plays for NY next season. I don’t think Rodgers retires next season (age 40) like you guys do. It’s very possible now that he’s out of GB he plays 2-3 seasons. He was just threatening retirement for trade and contract leverage because he wanted out of GB. I think It’s pretty obvious

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would have to be substantially better to trade him in our Conference. Like involving multiple 3rd Rounders and a future Day 1 with no strings.
I’d rather have a pair of 2nd’s now from NY. Plus maybe a future 3rd or 4th Rounder if Rodgers plays for NY next season. I don’t think Rodgers retires next season (age 40) like you guys do.

I'm talking better in the 250 point range which is basically an extra 3rd. From a pure pick standpoint, if the base offer is relatively the same (say they both offered a 1 in 2024 no strings attached) but an NFC teams offers like an extra 6th or 7th, while technically that is 'better', I'm going with the AFC team.

I don't know what he is going to do. I think probably 2 seasons, I'd put low odds on 3. If someone thinks 2 years max or that Love will stink or the Packers have no SB aspirations over the next 2 years then who cares where he goes since in those scenarios it won't impact the Packers other than from a pride standpoint.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would treat it the same as the draft. If the Jets offer is in the same tier but not quite as good as the SF offer I would go with the Jets. If the SF offer is a tier above I would take that offer.

I'm talking better in the 250 point range which is basically an extra 3rd. From a pure pick standpoint, if the base offer is relatively the same (say they both offered a 1 in 2024 no strings attached) but an NFC teams offers like an extra 6th or 7th, while technically that is 'better', I'm going with the AFC team.

In my opinion the Packers should take the best offer no matter if an NFC team only offers a slightly better deal. If the team is afraid of trading Rodgers to a conference opponent because it could result in them losing an important game to that team it might be smart to not trade him at all in the first place.

He won’t last 10 seasons at his rate. I mentioned 3 seasons ago that Lamar will not have a long career as a RB. We are already starting to see injuries Mount. Just wait until he’s well in his 30’s and it takes twice as long to heal. He’s going to run himself out of the league if he’s not careful.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect Lamar to be an elite quarterback for the next decade either (actually I don't consider him to be one at this point in his career). There's a chance of that happening while there's zero Rodgers plays that long though.

See I’m of different mindset. I absolutely give a damn.
I don’t want him going to SF over a trivial difference in draft capital.

The Packers shouldn't care where Rodgers ends up playing but solely focus on the compensation they receive in return. Once again, if they consider him to still be such an elite talent that they don't want to face him they should have figured out a way to keep him.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Whereas the Jets would not?

D

Deleted member 6794

Whereas the Jets would not?

While the Jets would need to make at least one move to clear enough cap space to fit Rodgers' contract under their cap for next season they have significantly less cap space allocated towards the 2024 season which makes it easier to make it work.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I would treat it the same as the draft. If the Jets offer is in the same tier but not quite as good as the SF offer I would go with the Jets. If the SF offer is a tier above I would take that offer. If a player at a position of need is in the same tier as a higher ranked guy that is not a need I take the former. If the non need position is BPA & a tier above all of the needs guys I take him.
:tdown:

Reaction score
The Packers shouldn't care where Rodgers ends up playing but solely focus on the compensation they receive in return. Once again, if they consider him to still be such an elite talent that they don't want to face him they should have figured out a way to keep him.
It’s not always that simple. You’ve watched the relationship go sour. As Packer fans, We’ve all been in this soap opera. The Packers aren’t trading him because he’s a bad QB. But you already know that.

SF had the best Defense in the league and they were possibly a top 10 level QB from going the distance as recent as last SB. They were 26th ranked in Pass attempts and I’m pretty sure a Rodgers led Offense won’t be anywhere close to that. SF isn’t just any NFC team and they’ve been 1-2 players from being dominating the last several seasons. SF49ers are well coached and consistent Defensively. Does that recipe Sound familiar? What did the Patriots have that SF49ers do not?
Answer: Near elite QB

Everyone is assuming Rodgers plays a year and retires. If he starts putting SB’s appearances together you can’t guarantee us he won’t be coaxed to play year to year. He’d probably take a discount just to add more talent to beat GB. He’s just that way he’s very unpredictable. SF + #12 is Hell to our conference. His Modus Operandi would be to make GB pay dearly. If we haven’t learned that lesson already I don’t know what to tell ya.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone is assuming Rodgers plays a year and retires. If he starts putting SB’s appearances together you can’t guarantee us he won’t be coaxed to play year to year.
If he feels good and starts to see some all-time unbeatable records? Who knows

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If nothing else, the Packers should welcome SF into the Rodgers competition, since it might convince the Jets to up their offer. A little bidding war couldn't hurt either.

i agree that if we don't want Rodgers, why be afraid of where we send him? Favre ended up in Minnesota, and we survived that. I think Rodgers would agree to playing for the '9ers. Might even get him a Super Bowl. We likely won't be at that level for a few years yet (if then). Are people going to whine about Rodgers winning a Super Bowl? Probably. Oh well, should have put together a defense.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If nothing else, the Packers should welcome SF into the Rodgers competition, since it might convince the Jets to up their offer. A little bidding war couldn't hurt either.

i agree that if we don't want Rodgers, why be afraid of where we send him? Favre ended up in Minnesota, and we survived that. I think Rodgers would agree to playing for the '9ers. Might even get him a Super Bowl. We likely won't be at that level for a few years yet (if then). Are people going to whine about Rodgers winning a Super Bowl? Probably. Oh well, should have put together a defense.
Well, Favre went to Minnesota and appeared to have all the pieces there as well including future HOF back AP. And it turned out he was his own enemy along with the Saints bounty team. So going to SF may appear sweet but it guarantees nothing.

D

Deleted member 6794

It’s not always that simple. You’ve watched the relationship go sour. As Packer fans, We’ve all been in this soap opera. The Packers aren’t trading him because he’s a bad QB. But you already know that.

The Packers aren't trading Rodgers because of what a portion of the fanbase calls a soap opera either but the stupid way they structured his extension last offseason.

SF had the best Defense in the league and they were possibly a top 10 level QB from going the distance as recent as last SB. They were 26th ranked in Pass attempts and I’m pretty sure a Rodgers led Offense won’t be anywhere close to that. SF isn’t just any NFC team and they’ve been 1-2 players from being dominating the last several seasons. SF49ers are well coached and consistent Defensively. Does that recipe Sound familiar? What did the Patriots have that SF49ers do not?
Answer: Near elite QB

I don't care if Rodgers wins the Super Bowl with the team he's traded to. There will be another team winning the Lombardi Trophy next year and I won't like it anyway.

I want the Packers to receive as much compensation as possible, I couldn't care less which team it's coming from.

Everyone is assuming Rodgers plays a year and retires. If he starts putting SB’s appearances together you can’t guarantee us he won’t be coaxed to play year to year. He’d probably take a discount just to add more talent to beat GB. He’s just that way he’s very unpredictable. SF + #12 is Hell to our conference. His Modus Operandi would be to make GB pay dearly. If we haven’t learned that lesson already I don’t know what to tell ya.

I could see Rodgers playing another two seasons but don't expect him to return in 2025 as well.

If he feels good and starts to see some all-time unbeatable records? Who knows

Rodgers is nowhere near setting an all-time record in one of the main categories. He would have to play at least another five years to have a realistic shot.

So going to SF may appear sweet but it guarantees nothing.

True, but Rodgers would have the best chance at winning another title with the Niners.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Favre went to Minnesota and appeared to have all the pieces there as well including future HOF back AP. And it turned out he was his own enemy along with the Saints bounty team. So going to SF may appear sweet but it guarantees nothing.
Farves problems was wearing down late in the season and making really stupid decisions in critical moments of playoff games. The stupid pass at the end of the NYG game really looked like he didn't care and just wanted to get into the warm locker room. Which is how it played out in Minny as well. Funny thing, my Viking friend was rubbing my nose in it all season, and I told him to just wait. You are going to get Favred once again.

Rodgers issue is different. We are trading him not just because of his talent erosion, but his attitude. His refusal to throw to open receivers, the snears at coaches, body language on the field showing no confidence, throwing teammates under the bus, etc. We will not get to a SB with AR as our QB. No leadership qualities.

Gutes biggest mistake was not dumping him last season for the deal Seattle got. I doubt AR would have done much better in Denver than Wilson and we would be sitting on some high picks. But who knows what would have happened.

Members online

Latest posts