• Realease or trade

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Retire

Votes: 8 16.7%

• Total voters

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any team that offers Rodgers more than his contract and cost presently (most on a per year basis than any single other player in the league) is crazy IMO. He is not worth arguably what he is going to cost a team as is.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
As a side note, Rodgers is currently under contract through the 2026 season for an average of $37.35 million per season. I don't know why everyone talking about average salaries is completely ignoring that.

You need to understand that the money a player is paid in a specific season and the cap hit of that player can be two completely different things.
I do understand that. The cap hit for the season is the important factor. That's why people in the front office continually kick the can down the road to create space for a year. Yes, ultimately you have to pay the price at some point and that is why the Packers have $16m in voided contracts on their books.
For example, if the Packers trade Rodgers or he retires that won't pay him another cent but he will count $40.3 million against their cap either in 2023 or spread out over the next two years. If he's their starting QB in 2023 he will get paid a total of $60 million but only count $31.6 million against their cap in 2023.

At some point money being to a player must be accounted for in the cap.
Right, I have said this exact thing multiple times.
My bad, I thought you suggested Jones is a better QB than Rodgers. That's not what you said though.
I'm in total agreement with you and Jones. No way is he better than Rodgers.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any team that offers Rodgers more than his contract and cost presently (most on a per year basis than any single other player in the league) is crazy IMO. He is not worth arguably what he is going to cost a team as is.
I didn't say he was, but a team that really wanted a 1 or 2 years for a real shot and felt that way could easily add another 10-40M on top if they wanted to. Teams do crazy stuff all the time.
Hiring a coach to maybe bring a player over when what you give up in a draft and what you pay the player are going to matter so much more is a backwards way of doing things. Hire Hackett because you think he's the best guy for the job, which is what I believe they did. The Rodgers story is just that, a story.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Jets have already stated they would give up 2 firsts for him. I say let them have him and get what you can especially if Brady truly does retire the market will be hot for Arod.

Pump the breaks. I have seen zero actual statement that says they'd do that. Can you share?

Peter King indicates Packers want two first-round picks for Rodgers, suggests Jets would ‘happily’ pay it​

Of course surely we all understand that "The Jets have stated they would give up two firsts" is a very different thing from "Peter King suggests the Jets would be willing to give up two firsts". Maybe King has his sources (maybe not) but there's definitely been no statements or anything like that on the Jets' end regarding what they'd be willing to give up one way or another, just speculation.

Everyone wanting two firsts, I'd be happy with one first and Sauce Gardner...heck, throw in Stokes to get another 2nd...Jaire and Gardner (who's on a rookie deal) would be one heck of a corner back duo for Barry to misuse and waste.
I'd be happy with that as well but I don't think the Jets would remotely consider that deal. In fact I don't think they would even consider trading Gardner for Rodgers straight up. He is the heavy, heavy favorite for DROY and they think very highly of him - Sauce Gardner is about as close to "untouchable" as any player they have at the moment IMO.

Reaction score
He did not tell McAfee and the guys on the show that, they brought up Hackett and coaches and asked if the hiring of certain coaches would cause him to consider or think that direction. He reflected on a TON of coaches that he has formed friendships with or he credits with making him who he is, Hackett being one of them. It was clear Hackett, Getsy, Bissacia, Clements and such were very very strongly loved by him. He was however VERY careful NOT to say something as direct as what you stated unless I missed it. I'll have to go back and listen to the interview question and answer again.
Yeah I agree in that interview Rodgers didn’t commit to answering that question directly. I wouldn’t have either because it gives off some idea that you want the Jets (or any team that has a Coach you like) to pursue you, which he might not altogether. So he rattled off every QB coach he’s had since childhood. Lol

Reaction score
I didn't say he was, but a team that really wanted a 1 or 2 years for a real shot and felt that way could easily add another 10-40M on top if they wanted to. Teams do crazy stuff all the time.
Hiring a coach to maybe bring a player over when what you give up in a draft and what you pay the player are going to matter so much more is a backwards way of doing things. Hire Hackett because you think he's the best guy for the job, which is what I believe they did. The Rodgers story is just that, a story.
I totally agree with the hiring part. They chose Hackett for Hackett and anything past that would be a small plus. I also agree that while some things sound unlikely as far as $$, Teams will do unconventional things with unconventional players. An extra $10m to be a front runner isn’t out of the picture.
There are a variety of ways to compensate partner teams to do trade deals like this. They could send Three 2nd Rounders plus a starter caliber player. Similar to the D. Randall trade involving a QB. We’ve seen this before and it’s a another method when trading assets. Meaning It doesn’t HAVE to be two 1st Round draft selections, there’s other assets in play.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

As far as I know Rodgers mentioned on the McAfee show that he's aware he might need to restructure his current deal either with the Packers or a team acquiring him. I don't think he will be asking for any additional money though.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suppose if you are looking only at "guaranteed make more money in the next two seasons" then you may be correct. Rodgers has 58.3m guaranteed on his 2023 option and 47m guaranteed on his 2024 option.

That said I think that's a particularly selective way of framing the argument and one that is not terribly meaningful IMO. Surely you would agree that the amount a player *actually* counts against the cap in a given year is more meaningful/impactful on a team's year-to-year operations, no?

2023 cap hit:
1. Deshaun Watson 54.9m
2. Dak Prescott 49.1m
3. Patrick Mahomes 46.8m
4. Josh Allen 39.8m
5. Ryan Tannehill 36.6m
6. Kirk Cousins 36.3.
7. Laremy Tunsil 35.21m
8. Matt Ryan 35.2m
9. Tom Brady 35.1 (of course, no more)
10. Leonard Williams 32.3m
11. Aaron Rodgers 31.6m

2024 cap hit:
1. Michael Thomas 59.4m
2. Deshaun Watson 55m
3. Dak Prescott 52.1m
4. Kyler Murray 51.9m
5. Matthew Stafford 50m
6. Patrick Mahomes 44.3m
7. Derek Carr 43.9m
8. Josh Allen 41.8m
9. Aaron Rodgers 40.7m

It's not until 2025 that Aaron Rodgers becomes the highest-paid in the league by cap hit and I think we all know he'll be long gone before it comes to that.

So, yes, if you limit your scope solely to "most guaranteed money in the next two seasons" then sure, technically Rodgers is the highest-paid. But practically speaking? Not really.

Doesnt AR12 have a no trade clause written in where he has to agree?
No he doesn't. But, I truly believe if Packers' management is ready to move on with Love they will try to accommodate Rodgers and send him to a team of his liking. All of this conjecture revolves around if they feel Love is ready to take the reins. If so Rodgers will be traded - if he wants to continue playing and I suspect he does deep down. If Love needs more grooming and AR wants to keep playing he will be our starter this coming season.

Last edited:

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree with the hiring part. They chose Hackett for Hackett and anything past that would be a small plus. I also agree that while some things sound unlikely as far as $$, Teams will do unconventional things with unconventional players. An extra $10m to be a front runner isn’t out of the picture.
There are a variety of ways to compensate partner teams to do trade deals like this. They could send Three 2nd Rounders plus a starter caliber player. Similar to the D. Randall trade involving a QB. We’ve seen this before and it’s a another method when trading assets. Meaning It doesn’t HAVE to be two 1st Round draft selections, there’s other assets in play.
Yes, Hackett is a great OC but not a great HC candidate at this point in his career.

PackerRyche

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I agree in that interview Rodgers didn’t commit to answering that question directly. I wouldn’t have either because it gives off some idea that you want the Jets (or any team that has a Coach you like) to pursue you, which he might not altogether. So he rattled off every QB coach he’s had since childhood. Lol
I didn't watch the show, but saw this quote: “Love Hack. Hack is my guy. Love him and Megan and the kids,” Rodgers said. “They’re really special to me. We really bonded when he was in Green Bay. He made it fun. He made the room fun. He made the weeks fun.”

So he didn't exactly say he would love to work with him again, but definitely gave that vibe.

Just pointing out that Hackett's presence could factor in favorably for the Jets trade option.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is anyone still not convinced that it's time? I mean, I really love AR as a QB, but nobody can play forever. It's been 21-22 games since he's passed for as least 300 yards, I mean how many times must we see sub-great QB play until we say that's not good enough? My uncle (teddy bears fan) made a joke about how TB12 has more retirements than AR has championships, I then railed on how horrible every QB for his team has been, but I also realized that he's right. It's been 13 years, that's can't be looked at positively. AR has the same number of rings as Nick Foles, that's downright disgusting. I don't a path forward with this getting to a better situation. Time to rebuild, he's 39 now and something has to be done, enough of this "will, he, won't he" retirement garbage.

Reaction score
How is anyone still not convinced that it's time? I mean, I really love AR as a QB, but nobody can play forever. It's been 21-22 games since he's passed for as least 300 yards, I mean how many times must we see sub-great QB play until we say that's not good enough? My uncle (teddy bears fan) made a joke about how TB12 has more retirements than AR has championships, I then railed on how horrible every QB for his team has been, but I also realized that he's right. It's been 13 years, that's can't be looked at positively. AR has the same number of rings as Nick Foles, that's downright disgusting. I don't a path forward with this getting to a better situation. Time to rebuild, he's 39 now and something has to be done, enough of this "will, he, won't he" retirement garbage.
It’s actually very likely that the Packers are fully prepared to move on either way. Even Rodgers retiring would alleviate some $$ concerns pretty quickly. Yes we owe him 40m or whatever but if he retires him and other players are pretty much off the books by 2024. Ok there are void contracts or misc. nearly every team has that stuff as far as rollover. Even those misc. monies will fade in impact year to year as that QB salary drops substantially. It will because no one is paying Love league high anytime soon. As an example, The league’s Cap increase alone washed our Void monies this season (one way to look at it) and it probably wasn’t a coincidence our voids were like 500K within the cap increase.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't watch the show, but saw this quote: “Love Hack. Hack is my guy. Love him and Megan and the kids,” Rodgers said. “They’re really special to me. We really bonded when he was in Green Bay. He made it fun. He made the room fun. He made the weeks fun.”

So he didn't exactly say he would love to work with him again, but definitely gave that vibe.

Just pointing out that Hackett's presence could factor in favorably for the Jets trade option.

Why do people completely ignore that the Broncos hired Hackett as head coach last season at least in part to lure Rodgers to Denver and that didn't work out for them at all?

A lot of fans put way too much stock into the total number of passing yards while still not understanding that it takes a team to win championships.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of fans put way too much stock into the total number of passing yards while still not understanding that it takes a team to win championships.
??? I'm pretty sure yardage and TD's win games, but let's talk about championships, because unless unless it's division championships, he hasn't produced any since 2010. I'm 100% convinced that we won't win one next year. I'm sorry but I don't think it's all been the defense's fault for 13 years. Mahomes is going to his 3rd in the past 5 years, on a bum ankle, does everyone believe that he has a great team? Or is it great QB play with just good teammates this year? Many were stating that no Hill was going to take some time to re-adjust, but no, they persevered. Also, their QB had such better season than AR with new WRs (except TK). 3 in 5 years is better than 1 in 15. It's hard to argue for a QB when he can't even let you compete for a title, this isn't California little league, participation trophies are not "good enough".

D

Deleted member 6794

??? I'm pretty sure yardage and TD's win games, but let's talk about championships, because unless unless it's division championships, he hasn't produced any since 2010.

First of all passing yards definitely don't win championships.

I'm 100% convinced that we won't win one next year. I'm sorry but I don't think it's all been the defense's fault for 13 years.

The defense has been at fault for coming up short in a lot of those seasons. In addition a lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball surrounding Rodgers has contributed to it as well.

It's true Rodgers deserves part of the blame as well but it's absolutely ridiculous to believe he's the only one responsible for it.

Mahomes is going to his 3rd in the past 5 years, on a bum ankle, does everyone believe that he has a great team?

Wait a moment, Mahomes has had a bum ankle for five years running???

Or is it great QB play with just good teammates this year? Many were stating that no Hill was going to take some time to re-adjust, but no, they persevered. Also, their QB had such better season than AR with new WRs (except TK). 3 in 5 years is better than 1 in 15.

Mahomes has had a top 10 defense in three of his first five seasons. This year is the first time the Chiefs have made it to the Super Bowl with an average defense but once again it's ridiculous to suggest Kansas City hasn't had a much better supporting cast on offense than the Packers over the past few years.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
??? I'm pretty sure yardage and TD's win games, but let's talk about championships, because unless unless it's division championships, he hasn't produced any since 2010. I'm 100% convinced that we won't win one next year. I'm sorry but I don't think it's all been the defense's fault for 13 years. Mahomes is going to his 3rd in the past 5 years, on a bum ankle, does everyone believe that he has a great team? Or is it great QB play with just good teammates this year? Many were stating that no Hill was going to take some time to re-adjust, but no, they persevered. Also, their QB had such better season than AR with new WRs (except TK). 3 in 5 years is better than 1 in 15. It's hard to argue for a QB when he can't even let you compete for a title, this isn't California little league, participation trophies are not "good enough".
Didn't KC win the afccg with most ( not all but most, mvs showed up) the starting wr hurt? And all pro TE on bad back, and qb with bad ankle?

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davante Adams a top 5 WR, Bahk, a top 5 maybe TOP LT, Jones a top 5 RB, with Rodgers thats over 1/3 of your offensive players being in the top 5 in the league. You had MVS, you got Cobb per 12’s request. How much top 5 talent do you think you can have on your side of the ball in todays NFL? Rodgers came up short 3 years in a row. The Lions - at home - to make the playoffs. The defense hands him the ball 3 times in the second half of the Tampa Bay game. Defense (including special teams) holds SF to 13 and another home loss. Then Detroit? How long do these excuses go on. Three home “playoff games Rodgers is a combined 10/23 83 yards one pick ZERO touchdowns 10/23/83 one pick ZERO TDs. He’s been the GOAT all right but not the one some people here think

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all passing yards definitely don't win championships.

Did you purposely ignore where I stated yards and TD's? The NFL has very passer friendly rules for years now, the MVP's are nice, but I would take championships in their stead.

The defense has been at fault for coming up short in a lot of those seasons. In addition a lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball surrounding Rodgers has contributed to it as well.

It's true Rodgers deserves part of the blame as well but it's absolutely ridiculous to believe he's the only one responsible for it.

I never stated once that it was all AR. But saying after 13 years the defense is the main problem is just looking at the team with blinders on.

Wait a moment, Mahomes has had a bum ankle for five years running???

Now you're just being silly, I don't know how to even respond properly.

Mahomes has had a top 10 defense in three of his first five seasons. This year is the first time the Chiefs have made it to the Super Bowl with an average defense but once again it's ridiculous to suggest Kansas City hasn't had a much better supporting cast on offense than the Packers over the past few years.
Now to respond to your last point, is their defense average, or top 10? Also, where's your proof? There are many sources online, so I'm willing to concede the last point as long as you can provide proof from reputable sources.

Last edited:

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't KC win the afccg with most ( not all but most, mvs showed up) the starting wr hurt? And all pro TE on bad back, and qb with bad ankle?
Why yes, they were able to pull it off and my hats off to them. Makes this season more disappointing, but maybe this a blessing in disguise, and the GBP can fix some holes.

D

Deleted member 6794

Davante Adams a top 5 WR, Bahk, a top 5 maybe TOP LT, Jones a top 5 RB, with Rodgers thats over 1/3 of your offensive players being in the top 5 in the league. You had MVS, you got Cobb per 12’s request. How much top 5 talent do you think you can have on your side of the ball in todays NFL? Rodgers came up short 3 years in a row. The Lions - at home - to make the playoffs. The defense hands him the ball 3 times in the second half of the Tampa Bay game. Defense (including special teams) holds SF to 13 and another home loss. Then Detroit? How long do these excuses go on. Three home “playoff games Rodgers is a combined 10/23 83 yards one pick ZERO touchdowns 10/23/83 one pick ZERO TDs. He’s been the GOAT all right but not the one some people here think

Bakhtiari didn't play in the 2020 and '21 playoffs because of his torn ACL. Jones had two huge fumbles against the Bucs in 2020 and this season against the Lions. The three interceptions the defense had against Tampa in the NFCCG should be considered as forcing them to punt as the Packers received the ball on their own 32, 19 and 24 respectively. In addition they scored a touchdown after the first one.

There have been several other factors, with Rodgers being one of them, which resulted in the Packers losing those games. To consider the quarterback being the only one responsible for it is absolutely ridiculous though.

Did you purposely ignore where I stated yards and TD's? The NFL has very passer friendly rules for years now, the MVP's are nice, but I would take championships in their stead.

It's obvious that touchdowns win championships. I just wanted to point out that passing yards isn't particular important metric though.

I never stated once that it was all AR. But saying after 13 years the defense is the main problem is just looking at the team with blinders on.

Actually the defense is the unit that's mainly to blame for the Packers not making it back to the Super Bowl since 2010. Any Packers fan suggesting something else does it because it doesn't fit their narrative about Rodgers.

Now to respond to your last point, is their defense average, or top 10? Also, where's your proof?

I don't understand that question. It's pretty easy to figure out that the Chiefs ranked 7th (2019), 10th ('20) and 8th ('21) in points allowed respectively. This year they regressed, finishing in 16th.

There are many sources online, so I'm willing to concede the last point as long as you can provide proof from reputable sources.

You just need to look at receptions, receiving yards and touchdowns over the past five seasons. While Adams ranked first in all three categories in the league from 2018-21 (indicating that the quarterback throwing to him isn't such a bum in the first place) the Chiefs have had two players (Hill and Kelce) ranked in the top seven in receptions, top four in receiving yards and top six in touchdown receptions. On the other hand the Packers didn't have another player aside of Adams in the top 60 in any of those categories.

There shouldn't be any doubt the Chiefs had a better supporting cast this season after Adams left. Therefore I'm quite confident in my statement that Mahomes has been surrounded by better talent than Rodgers since he entered the league.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand that question. It's pretty easy to figure out that the Chiefs ranked 7th (2019), 10th ('20) and 8th ('21) in points allowed respectively. This year they regressed, finishing in 16th.
I wasn't trying to be rude, (I apologize if it came off that way) but I was looking for proof (reputable sources) and not examples of them being top 10 (that would only be the average if there were only 20 NFL teams) in certain categories, but overall all. I just was looking for proof as there are 32 NFL teams and 10 not being the average.
You just need to look at receptions, receiving yards and touchdowns over the past five seasons. While Adams ranked first in all three categories in the league from 2018-21 (indicating that the quarterback throwing to him isn't such a bum in the first place) the Chiefs have had two players (Hill and Kelce) ranked in the top seven in receptions, top four in receiving yards and top six in touchdown receptions. On the other hand the Packers didn't have another player aside of Adams in the top 60 in any of those categories.

There shouldn't be any doubt the Chiefs had a better supporting cast this season after Adams left. Therefore I'm quite confident in my statement that Mahomes has been surrounded by better talent than Rodgers since he entered the league.
That is a great point about the offense, but my question was about the defense (again probably my fault from the way I posted it), I was only looking at them from a defense standpoint. But the topic of this thread is about AR, based on what we have seen out of him (at home) over the past 3 years in the playoffs or win and your in (this year) has been underwhelming. At 39, AR doesn't seem to have that, "get you over the hump" in him anymore, so maybe it's time to move on as he's due about $60 million in cap space this year. As I stated before, I'm a GBP fan, not just a AR fan.

PackerRyche

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do people completely ignore that the Broncos hired Hackett as head coach last season at least in part to lure Rodgers to Denver and that didn't work out for them at all?
I don't think anyone knows the degree to which the possibility of luring Rodgers played into Hackett landing the HC job in Denver. I find it hard to believe that any NFL organization would hire a first-time HC on the hope that they could lure a single player. That possibility could have been a small factor in the hiring decision, but not a significant one. Denver thought it was time for Hackett to get the big job. That obviously didn't work out. Contrast that with Hackett accepting the step backward to OC. The Jets know Hackett is a proven commodity at OC, so even if he doesn't lure Rodgers, it's a solid hire. I do not think Hackett got the Jets job with the expectation of luring Rodgers. Rather, he maintains a very good relationship with Rodgers and, if all the other aspects of a possible deal come into alignment, that relationship good prove important, perhaps even pivotal, in a scenario where Rodgers is weighing competing offers. Rodgers did not go to Denver, but that correlation with Hackett hires, does not cause the Jets dynamic to be impossible or implausible. The Jets are one of a few possible trading partners for Rodgers and the presence of Hackett only improves their odds against the competition. That's my only point.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone knows the degree to which the possibility of luring Rodgers played into Hackett landing the HC job in Denver. I find it hard to believe that any NFL organization would hire a first-time HC on the hope that they could lure a single player. That possibility could have been a small factor in the hiring decision, but not a significant one. Denver thought it was time for Hackett to get the big job. That obviously didn't work out. Contrast that with Hackett accepting the step backward to OC. The Jets know Hackett is a proven commodity at OC, so even if he doesn't lure Rodgers, it's a solid hire. I do not think Hackett got the Jets job with the expectation of luring Rodgers. Rather, he maintains a very good relationship with Rodgers and, if all the other aspects of a possible deal come into alignment, that relationship good prove important, perhaps even pivotal, in a scenario where Rodgers is weighing competing offers. Rodgers did not go to Denver, but that correlation with Hackett hires, does not cause the Jets dynamic to be impossible or implausible. The Jets are one of a few possible trading partners for Rodgers and the presence of Hackett only improves their odds against the competition. That's my only point.
I don't think the hiring of Hackett by Denver was used as a lure for them to get Rodgers. I seriously doubt any GM called Gute after the 2021 season inquiring about #12. They knew that would have been a waste of time. Gute - or any other NFL GM - isn't going to trade away their reigning league MVP.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, but I believe we should have. I agree VERY unlikely but I wouldn’t say any wouldn’t. I do believe some GMs are savvy enough business men that may cut while the cutting is good.

All water behind us now however and we are upstream, that decision ain’t coming back.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to be rude, (I apologize if it came off that way) but I was looking for proof (reputable sources) and not examples of them being top 10 (that would only be the average if there were only 20 NFL teams) in certain categories, but overall all. I just was looking for proof as there are 32 NFL teams and 10 not being the average.

That is a great point about the offense, but my question was about the defense (again probably my fault from the way I posted it), I was only looking at them from a defense standpoint. But the topic of this thread is about AR, based on what we have seen out of him (at home) over the past 3 years in the playoffs or win and your in (this year) has been underwhelming. At 39, AR doesn't seem to have that, "get you over the hump" in him anymore, so maybe it's time to move on as he's due about $60 million in cap space this year. As I stated before, I'm a GBP fan, not just a AR fan.
I love Rodgers but… more and more I’m starting to feel this way.

You can certainly make a case that Mahomes has a better supporting cast even after losing Hill (and Rodgers losing Adams) but even IF he had the same supporting cast at this point it’s very difficult for me to envision a scenario in which a one-legged Rodgers with his top target injured and further injuries around the offense is able to lead us past a Bengals-level team like Mahomes did. Rodgers is still a great player and certainly has the capacity to add to your win total but I’m not sure he is that “take over a big game” type of guy nowadays. Is Love that guy? I don’t have any idea.

Members online

Latest posts