• Keep

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Realease or trade

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Retire

Votes: 8 16.7%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I would love for the Packers to be able to pay elite players like rookies as well but it's completely unrealistic to suggest something like that. As a side note, Rodgers deal isn'T by far the largest in the league by any means.
Yes Aaron Rodgers is the highest paid player over the next 2 seasons. I even gave an example of Loves approx earnings over 2 seasons being $25mil in comparison.
List Which players have an option to make more than Rodgers in 2023?

$50.282 (3 year average)
$58.3mil
option bonus in 2023
$50.76 PER SEASON
2 years average guaranteed
over the 2 years example I mentioned

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never said anything about the longest contract in the league. I said he is the highest paid player NOW

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-highest-paid-players-2022/ot9egmldb6sly6mtqc3jb1dx

But go ahead and enlighten us who’s Which player in the NFL makes Aaron Rodgers NOT the highest paid player? This should be entertaining

To be fair he's no doubt meaning just gross contract figures. Rodgers is only highest in AAV.

Largest contract by overall value is Mahomes at $450,000,000 over 10 years. Rodgers was $150,815,000 over 3 years.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for giggles here is the lists:

Largest overall rounded:
Mahomes at $450M
Josh Allen at $258M
Russell Wilson at $242.5M
Kyler Murray at $230.5M
Deshaun Watson at $230M

Largest AAV (per year) @Magooch
Rodgers $50,271,667
Wilson $50,000,000
Murray $46,100,000
Watson $46,000,000
Mahomes $45,000,000

Largest Guaranteed at signing:
Watson $230,000,000
Wilson $124,000,000
Murray $103,300,000
Rodgers $101,515,000
Allen $100,038,596

Last edited:

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes Aaron Rodgers is the highest paid player over the next 2 seasons. I even gave an example of Loves approx earnings over 2 seasons being $25mil in comparison.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-highest-paid-players-2022/ot9egmldb6sly6mtqc3jb1dx

But go ahead and entertain us?
Which players will guaranteed make more than Aaron Rodgers in the next 2 seasons??
I suppose if you are looking only at "guaranteed make more money in the next two seasons" then you may be correct. Rodgers has 58.3m guaranteed on his 2023 option and 47m guaranteed on his 2024 option.

That said I think that's a particularly selective way of framing the argument and one that is not terribly meaningful IMO. Surely you would agree that the amount a player *actually* counts against the cap in a given year is more meaningful/impactful on a team's year-to-year operations, no?

2023 cap hit:
1. Deshaun Watson 54.9m
2. Dak Prescott 49.1m
3. Patrick Mahomes 46.8m
4. Josh Allen 39.8m
5. Ryan Tannehill 36.6m
6. Kirk Cousins 36.3.
7. Laremy Tunsil 35.21m
8. Matt Ryan 35.2m
9. Tom Brady 35.1 (of course, no more)
10. Leonard Williams 32.3m
11. Aaron Rodgers 31.6m

2024 cap hit:
1. Michael Thomas 59.4m
2. Deshaun Watson 55m
3. Dak Prescott 52.1m
4. Kyler Murray 51.9m
5. Matthew Stafford 50m
6. Patrick Mahomes 44.3m
7. Derek Carr 43.9m
8. Josh Allen 41.8m
9. Aaron Rodgers 40.7m

It's not until 2025 that Aaron Rodgers becomes the highest-paid in the league by cap hit and I think we all know he'll be long gone before it comes to that.

So, yes, if you limit your scope solely to "most guaranteed money in the next two seasons" then sure, technically Rodgers is the highest-paid. But practically speaking? Not really.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let’s use your numbers and ignore how it will cripple our franchise for 2 seasons. How did that work out in 2022? We could’ve even make .500 and We ran 17.5 points per game for 1/2 a season on an Offense with the top 5 highest paid QB (your assertion) We played at home against a middling Detroit Defense and couldn’t even put up 17 points! The fruit doesn’t lie.. it’s rotten.

That said,I actually agree that Rodgers does give us the best chance this season, I’d agree with that. But you can’t talk about GM’s making BIG $$ and simultaneous ignore the ramifications of the key component of their duty. They MUST be emphasizing their franchises next moves in the medium and long term. Neither involve Rodgers at this moment.

I’m torn. While I do not align with Rodgers way of handling things, I understand the concept of milking his talent as long as feasible. That’s the question isn’t it?
Both parties are at a crossroads

We cannot live in “fear” forever of losing Rodgers and we could have Brock Purdy Turbo version sitting in the wings for $25mil cost over 2 full seasons. A wise GM once said.
We were “looking” for a QB when we found this one.. we can be “looking” again.

The opportunity cost is rising in keeping Rodgers. If he can be traded and we get at minimum 1 Day one and 1 Round Two selection (similar to Davante). I think you take the trade before the market crashes and you have no solid contingency plan. Trade a Round 2 selection for a future Round 1. If Love doesn’t look good? Package next years pair of Round 1 selections and get whichever QB you want from 130 college teams.

I'm not ignoring a key component...the GM is the guy that signed him to that deal. I don't understand how we can avoid knowing that the GM WANTED this cap hit when he signed the guy to exactly that cap hit. Look, if the packers can get a good haul for Rodgers I am fine with them wanting to move on to Love; but, and this is my primary issue with Gute's 2020 draft, the team has now wasted all but one of the cheap years with Love. People want to blame an expensive QB for the issues on this team but the primary issue is that the roster is REALLY top heavy and doesn't have very much in the way of good players on rookie contracts. That's not going to magically change because Love is counting $30m less against the cap (which would leave the team with roughly $14m in cap space), it just means the Packers might go out and sign a mid-level free agent (let's say they go out and sign DJ Chark to help Love).

This team's issues are the offense has been allowed to rot, relying on Rodgers to support a weak group of skill position players (and that's going to leave Love with a really hard job when/if he starts this season), while supposedly building an elite defense that isn't even really an average defense. Unless the Packers can somehow get Sauce Gardner PLUS a first in a trade with the Jets, then I think good things can happen.

My primary point is that, 9 times out of 10, the GM is going to keep around the elite QB no matter how expensive because an elite QB is the best job security for a coach/GM on the planet (just look at Ted and McCarthy) and keeping their job is generally priority one for most people.

Mike peterson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody is giving a 1st for him at this point. Maybe a second and third.
The Jets have already stated they would give up 2 firsts for him. I say let them have him and get what you can especially if Brady truly does retire the market will be hot for Arod.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't either, but if someone were giving us 2 firsts and he wanted to still play, I would be getting that deal done sooner than later.

Right?! Shooot.....if Jets called Gute and told them that, if I'm Gute I'm not even calling Aaron to get thoughts LOL

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those draft simulation sites are a lot of fun, but I have to wonder. I've been using PFF's site. I trade Rodgers to the Jets I get there first and second this year and first and second next year and....DL Quinnen Williams. Every time. Well, the Jets owner did say whatever it takes!

Reaction score
To be fair he's no doubt meaning just gross contract figures. Rodgers is only highest in AAV.

Largest contract by overall value is Mahomes at $450,000,000 over 10 years. Rodgers was $150,815,000 over 3 years.
True.
But that has zero bearing on what I said. He responded to a post where I gave a 2yr example to compare QB options for this topic.

I’m thinking he was driving at Wilson’s deal that’s about $2m less, which is ticky tack. Aaron Rodgers makes a monster amount of money compared to other QB options was the point.
Unless he suggesting we’ll trade for Wilson then it’s irrelevant.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those draft simulation sites are a lot of fun, but I have to wonder. I've been using PFF's site. I trade Rodgers to the Jets I get there first and second this year and first and second next year and....DL Quinnen Williams. Every time. Well, the Jets owner did say whatever it takes!

You gotta be reasonable however and that isn’t. PFF doesn’t even have Tucker Kraft in their pool unless they updated it today…and Cade Stover is still in the draft which he isn’t.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Peter King indicates Packers want two first-round picks for Rodgers, suggests Jets would ‘happily’ pay it​

yeah I’ve heard both those thoughts but nothing espoused credibly from sources at the jets.

It’s less than the Rodgers trade rumors, at least there Rodgers himself acknowledges playing elsewhere is an option.

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah I’ve heard both those thoughts but nothing espoused credibly from sources at the jets.

It’s less than the Rodgers trade rumors, at least there Rodgers himself acknowledges playing elsewhere is an option.
I’d take Peter King over a few ********* in the media. I really don’t see him being here next year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d take Peter King over a few ********* in the media. I really don’t see him being here next year.

Personally I don’t either but again King is not even citing “claimed sources” let’s just take things as they come big or small.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Jets have already stated they would give up 2 firsts for him. I say let them have him and get what you can especially if Brady truly does retire the market will be hot for Arod.
And with a good QB; the Jets are a contender

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone wanting two firsts, I'd be happy with one first and Sauce Gardner...heck, throw in Stokes to get another 2nd...Jaire and Gardner (who's on a rookie deal) would be one heck of a corner back duo for Barry to misuse and waste.

D

Deleted member 6794

As a side note, Rodgers is currently under contract through the 2026 season for an average of $37.35 million per season. I don't know why everyone talking about average salaries is completely ignoring that.

That's not what he counts against the cap though if you check Over The Cap.

You need to understand that the money a player is paid in a specific season and the cap hit of that player can be two completely different things.

For example, if the Packers trade Rodgers or he retires that won't pay him another cent but he will count $40.3 million against their cap either in 2023 or spread out over the next two years. If he's their starting QB in 2023 he will get paid a total of $60 million but only count $31.6 million against their cap in 2023.

At some point money being to a player must be accounted for in the cap.

Neither did I. You jumped into the middle of a conversation and cherry picked what you wanted to.

My bad, I thought you suggested Jones is a better QB than Rodgers. That's not what you said though.

With Brady retiring this morning, Rodgers will be playing this year. No way he goes into the Hall of Fame the same year as Brady.

I don't think that will have any effect on Rodgers decision.

Right?! Shooot.....if Jets called Gute and told them that, if I'm Gute I'm not even calling Aaron to get thoughts LOL

Well, the Jets better do before agreeing to the trade though ;)

Everyone wanting two firsts, I'd be happy with one first and Sauce Gardner...heck, throw in Stokes to get another 2nd...Jaire and Gardner (who's on a rookie deal) would be one heck of a corner back duo for Barry to misuse and waste.

The Jets won't be interested in giving up Gardner though.

PackerRyche

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And with a good QB; the Jets are a contender
And I pointed out earlier in the thread that the Jets recently hired Nathanial Hackett as their new OC. Hard to believe that was not done with Rodgers in mind and Rodgers told McAfee that he would love to work with Hackett again.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I pointed out earlier in the thread that the Jets recently hired Nathanial Hackett as their new OC. Hard to believe that was not done with Rodgers in mind and Rodgers told McAfee that he would love to work with Hackett again.

He did not tell McAfee and the guys on the show that, they brought up Hackett and coaches and asked if the hiring of certain coaches would cause him to consider or think that direction. He reflected on a TON of coaches that he has formed friendships with or he credits with making him who he is, Hackett being one of them. It was clear Hackett, Getsy, Bissacia, Clements and such were very very strongly loved by him. He was however VERY careful NOT to say something as direct as what you stated unless I missed it. I'll have to go back and listen to the interview question and answer again.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players are easy enough to get. You want a player go try and get the player. Try hiring a coach to lure a player when so many other things are going to rank much higher in terms of what would get that deal done? you hired the wrong coach.

If the Jets really wanted Rodgers, they'd offer GB a lot in a trade and they'd offer Rodgers more money. Enough to make him say yes.

IF the Jets didn't Hire Hackett because they think he's the best man for their job, they're idiots.
Myself, the Jets make sense, because they have a team with no QB and have capital to trade in the draft. I don't think Hackett being there will have any more influence this year than he had last year in Denver.

Members online

Latest posts