• Realease or trade

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Retire

Votes: 8 16.7%

• Total voters

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I don't know what the compensation will be in Rodgers' case. But the point is that the trade value of a QB who is perceived to still be very good is always going to be super high. The Seahawks getting a huge haul for Wilson wasn't an aberration.

The Lions got two 1st round picks, a 3rd, and Goff for Stafford.

The Broncos got two 1st round picks, a 3rd, and Orton for Cutler.

The Bengals got a 1st and a 2nd for Palmer.

The Texans got three 1st round picks, a 3rd, and a 4th for Watson.

Rodgers is one year removed from back-to-back MVP seasons and did not show any physical decline in 2022. You discount it some for his age, sure. But the market is what the market is.
I disagree that Rodgers did not show any signs of physical decline. He did not throw for 300 yards in a single game in 2022. I'm not a Rodgers hater. I appreciate what he has done for the franchise. He's been very entertaining to watch. I for sure think that he could still start for many teams in the NFL, but I do think that it is time to move on. I think the big difference between the examples you gave are the age of the QB's. Stafford was 33, Cutler was 26, Palmer was 34 and Watson 26. I don't know for sure, but I think those teams were thinking longer term than 1-2 seasons when they made those trades. Definitely Cutler and Watson. Arizona got 5 years out of Palmer. Stafford might be done due to injury. That one is yet to be determined. The Bears got 8 seasons out of Cutler. Watson is also yet to be determined. I totally understand your point. I just think a team is less willing to give a large amount of assets for what would most like be 2 seasons tops. You could be right and I would be happy to be wrong if they got a couple of 1st round picks for him. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. In the end, I bet he stays and plays for the Packers for another season, which wouldn't be horrible either.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did not throw for 300 yards in a single game in 2022.
I'd love to trade AR & give Love the starting job for the next 15 years. To play devil's advocate on the statement above, however, the 1st game of the year against Minnesota AR threw for 227 yards on 39 attempts... but Christian Watson dropped a probable 75 yd TD on the first offensive snap. By my math that would've been 302 yards... and may very well have been a different outcome.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love to trade AR & give Love the starting job for the next 15 years. To play devil's advocate on the statement above, however, the 1st game of the year against Minnesota AR threw for 227 yards on 39 attempts... but Christian Watson dropped a probable 75 yd TD on the first offensive snap. By my math that would've been 302 yards... and may very well have been a different outcome.

Changing a play changes the game from exactly what happened. No telling if he would have or wouldn't have. I would tend to agree it likely would have, but still crazy to think even if he had there he never did rest of the way.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was curious as Daniel Jones and the Giants many argue had even a less or similar lack of passing weapons like Green Bay and Jones even broke 300 three times. Against Detroit, and Minnesota 2x

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree that Rodgers did not show any signs of physical decline. He did not throw for 300 yards in a single game in 2022. I'm not a Rodgers hater. I appreciate what he has done for the franchise. He's been very entertaining to watch. I for sure think that he could still start for many teams in the NFL, but I do think that it is time to move on. I think the big difference between the examples you gave are the age of the QB's. Stafford was 33, Cutler was 26, Palmer was 34 and Watson 26. I don't know for sure, but I think those teams were thinking longer term than 1-2 seasons when they made those trades. Definitely Cutler and Watson. Arizona got 5 years out of Palmer. Stafford might be done due to injury. That one is yet to be determined. The Bears got 8 seasons out of Cutler. Watson is also yet to be determined. I totally understand your point. I just think a team is less willing to give a large amount of assets for what would most like be 2 seasons tops. You could be right and I would be happy to be wrong if they got a couple of 1st round picks for him. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. In the end, I bet he stays and plays for the Packers for another season, which wouldn't be horrible either.
This kind of alludes to the point I was trying to make all season. 1st Rodgers isn't 33 year old Aaron. But his decline also wasn't that much. He can't run as fast and a couple throws were affected, probably by his thumb, but so is every single other QB affected by injury.

But no QB is perfect, not even the greats. All of them have 2-5 throws a game that just aren't that good. I didn't see Rodgers out of the norm in that regard. Maybe for him, but not for those considered the best in the game overall. Rodgers would have those, then he'd have 2-5 that were absolute dimes and big plays to be had that wouldn't be made and then the rest. When you added in the less than good throws and the plays not made, every week looked worse for the QB than he is, or is compared to the other good ones in the league.

The biggest issue was had was nobody else was making plays this year for us either. Watching other teams it because so apparent, at least to me, our lack of play makers. Look at that 4th and whatever. Burrows throws it up and it's short, and without hardly doing anything Chase adjusts to it, comes back between 2 defenders and makes a huge 1st down play. Great play. Rodgers threw a better pass than that to Tourre and it was picked by a great defensive play and zero play on the ball by a young receiver.

Or the MVS catch from Mahomes. That wasn't a good ball. Wasn't terrible, but it was hardly perfect. A little short, which IMO it needed to be to not bring him right to the safety coming over, and it was inside. MVS adjusted in the air and made a great catch. didn't do that much for us, but he sure looked good at it last night. Lazard did that a few times all year. These guys have receivers doing it every game. Rodgers hits Doubs with a just below waist high quick slant for a would be 1st down. It's dropped and rodgers is ripped. Hurts throws one in the dirt on a 3rd or 4th down play and the receiver goes down and gets it for the 1st. MVP candidate.

Rodgers hasn't fallen off as many think.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or the MVS catch from Mahomes. That wasn't a good ball. Wasn't terrible, but it was hardly perfect. A little short, which IMO it needed to be to not bring him right to the safety coming over, and it was inside. MVS adjusted in the air and made a great catch. didn't do that much for us, but he sure looked good at it last night. Lazard did that a few times all year. These guys have receivers doing it every game. Rodgers hits Doubs with a just below waist high quick slant for a would be 1st down. It's dropped and rodgers is ripped. Hurts throws one in the dirt on a 3rd or 4th down play and the receiver goes down and gets it for the 1st. MVP candidate.

Gainwell ball if that is the one you're speaking to, had Gainwell dropped it and Hurts came unglued at him I'd 1,000% said Hurts needs to shut up. That was a great catch and a terrible ball - only way to slice it IMO.

Gainwell played out in that game btw, dude is electric.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a terrible ball, that's my point, they ALL have them every game. But when your guys aren't helping out your QB on those and then also not catching the ones they're supposed to, it all looks worse.

Reaction score
I’m surprised that just 20.6% selected Aaron stays. That means 79.4% lean Retires, Traded or hopes he gets kidnapped.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m surprised that just 20.6% selected Aaron stays. That means 79.4% lean Retires, Traded or hopes he gets kidnapped.
For the record I don’t want him kidnapped. Unless it is by Ty and Pat Macafee and it is all recorded live lol

Reaction score
For the record I don’t want him kidnapped. Unless it is by Ty and Pat Macafee and it is all recorded live lol
Cmon. You know a Rodgers kidnapping-hostage negotiations would be the biggest news since the Lindbergh Baby went missing. We’d all be glued to the TV more than when OJ drove his White Bronco down the Interstate with a Convoy of Po-po :whistling:
What a way to go out. He’d be sure to retire after that!

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I hear what you're saying. Maybe I'll be surprised. Maybe his age will be a bigger factor than I think, or maybe there won't be enough competition for his services.

However, I didn't see anything physical in Rodgers' lesser performance last year. Obviously the statistics weren't the same. He certainly isn't the Rodgers of old (i.e. 2014 and earlier). But wasn't that guy in 2020 or 2021 either.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would think, since AR & the front office are talking about different scenarios, should AR want to continue and should GB wish to move on that they would see what interest there is league-wise. From there GB will discuss with AR which teams/locations would be amenable, and then trade discussions would begin. I don't see AR publicly stating "I'll only play for the Jets" (or other team). I've softened my hard-line stance on the Gute/AR relationship & think they'll work together on the best option that benefits all.

But if Rodgers decides that it's Team X or no one, I could envision a scenario in which that becomes known in league circles and hurts the compensation.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of them have 2-5 throws a game that just aren't that good. I didn't see Rodgers out of the norm in that regard.
Think about all those deep balls this season. Yeah, Rodgers was off target on a lot of them, but then Watson just flat dropped a bunch too.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Name one thing Brady does better than Rodgers? Win big games (one could also say Not Lose Big Games). My point is the people who keep pushing this “well Tom Brady really isnt that great” line sound stupid after anout his third Super Bowl …. Then there his 4th, then his 5th, then his 6th, then his 7th, then his 8th, then his 9th, then his 10th. Yeah …. He actually lost 3 and Rodgers is a perfect one for one so there’s that. LOL

So nobody else on the team matters besides the QB? You’d make an entertaining GM; you’d field a team with the highest paid QB and then nothing but vet min guys because, according to you, wins or losses are completely on the QB. Fun stuff.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think Packers should open up to the entire league. I don't care where he goes if he leaves - get the most active teams will only do good things in return for the organization.

Yeah, I’ve never understood the “won’t trade within the conference” thing. If you’re trading a player, it’s because you think it will be best for your team, so why eliminate half the buyers instantly? Get the best deal you if you really believe a trade is for the best.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve never understood the “won’t trade within the conference” thing. If you’re trading a player, it’s because you think it will be best for your team, so why eliminate half the buyers instantly? Get the best deal you if you really believe a trade is for the best.

It is operating in fear instead of operating with certainty.

Reaction score
The Packers have never denied that Rodgers is a great QB. However everything is about the $$ and length of time he can surpass his compensation.

If Aaron Rodgers told GB tomorrow that he just wants to Win a SB at any cost in the next 3 seasons. If he said let’s renegotiate for a hypothetical 3X$75mil guaranteed, plus an extra $5mil to make a SB and another $5mil to Win it?

The Packers would Kick Jordan to the curb tomorrow.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have never denied that Rodgers is a great QB. However everything is about the $$.

If Aaron Rodgers told GB tomorrow that he just wants to Win a SB at any cost in the next 3 seasons. If he said let’s renegotiate for a 3X$75mil guaranteed, plus an extra $5mil to make a SB and another $5mil to Win it?
Under One condition. We have to spend two Day1 draft selections on Offense at any position in the next 2 seasons. Plus Aaron gets to veto 1 veteran departure without exception each season. He’d commit to playing all 3 seasons or forfeit any unpaid contract $$ except for injury.

3x$75mil...are you proposing $225mil guaranteed AND give him personnel veto power? This year's cap is $224mil so the $225mil guaranteed is roughly 33% of the cap each year for the next 3 years...which hamstrings the franchise this decade. No thanks, let's roll with Love.

Last edited:
Reaction score
3x$75mil...are you proposing $225mil guaranteed AND give him personnel veto power? This year's cap is $224mil so the $215mil guaranteed is roughly 33% of the cap each year for the next 3 years...which hamstrings the franchise this decade. No thanks, let's roll with Love.
No. Hypothetical $25 per year guaranteed. $10m possible bonus best case. Your answer says it all. You thought that was a per year deal and that’s for 3 seasons. It’s exactly What Brady did

Not if they would or wouldn’t do this or that. Point is These decisions are all about the Coins. Go look at Bradys contracts no wonder why he’s played so long.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, and we are going to be paying him more than that. I just think a team would have to be pretty desperate for a QB to trade for Rodgers and pay him that. That's just my take on it all.

The Packers wouldn't owe Rodgers a cent if they trade him this offseason. They would take $40.3 million of dead money counting against their cap though.

At this point, I would take Daniel Jones over Rodgers.

I'm sorry that's ridiculous. Daniel Jones threw for only 15 touchdowns last season while starting 16 games. He has a total of 36 over his last 41 starts.

I've actually long now held the belief IF Jets want him we should offer they keep their #13 and take both their 2nd and 3rd rounders + conditional futures realistic (like a 2024 starting at a 3rd - playoff escalates it - SB appearance it goes to a 1st...and do a similar build with the 2025 conditional starting at like a 5th - he is rostered in 2024 up to a 4th - playoff team ups to a 3rd - super bowl appearance to a 2nd - wins a SB 1st).

I'm sorry but the Packers shouldn't make an offer to the Jets. Let's wait and see what they would be ready to part with to acquire him.

How so? So Rodgers played well when he had a big lead. That's irrelevant to what we are talking about here - Rodgers' inability to come through in clutch moments the past few seasons.

In my opinion being up by seven points shouldn't be considered a big lead. But of course you ignore it as it doesn't fit your narrative. In addition you suggest to ignore his fourth quarter performance against the Niners in the 2019 NFCCG because they were down by too many points as well. That truly indicates you don't want to fairly evaluate his play.

Name one thing Brady does better than Rodgers? Win big games (one could also say Not Lose Big Games). My point is the people who keep pushing this “well Tom Brady really isnt that great” line sound stupid after anout his third Super Bowl …. Then there his 4th, then his 5th, then his 6th, then his 7th, then his 8th, then his 9th, then his 10th. Yeah …. He actually lost 3 and Rodgers is a perfect one for one so there’s that. LOL

Brady made it to the Super Bowl with his defenses ranked 6th (2001), 1st (2003), 2nd (2004), 4th (2007), 15th (2011), 8th (2014), 1st (2016), 5th (2017), 7th (2018) and 8th (2020) in points allowed.

Aside of the one outlier in 2011 he never made it to the Super Bowl without an elite defense. During that season the Patriots defense significantly improved in the playoffs, allowing only 17 points per game which would have ranked fourth in the regular season.

Rodgers has had the benefit of having a top eight scoring defense only twice in his career. In 2009, that unit faltered in a playoff loss at Arizona in which putting up 45 points wasn't good enough to win the game. The following season the Packers won the Super Bowl with by far the best defense (2nd in points allowed) Rodgers has ever been surrounded with.

But no QB is perfect, not even the greats. All of them have 2-5 throws a game that just aren't that good. I didn't see Rodgers out of the norm in that regard. Maybe for him, but not for those considered the best in the game overall. Rodgers would have those, then he'd have 2-5 that were absolute dimes and big plays to be had that wouldn't be made and then the rest. When you added in the less than good throws and the plays not made, every week looked worse for the QB than he is, or is compared to the other good ones in the league.

According to PFF, Rodgers ranked 2nd among the 32 quarterbacks with the most pass attempts in 2022 in big time throw percentage at 5.7%. In addition only four of those quarterbacks had a higher percentage of catchable passes dropped.

No. Hypothetical $25 per year guaranteed. $10m possible bonus best case. Your answer says it all. You thought that was a per year deal and that’s for 3 seasons. It’s exactly What Brady did

Not if they would or wouldn’t do this or that. Point is These decisions are all about the Coins. Go look at Bradys contracts no wonder why he’s played so long.

While the Patriots did a fantastic job of structuring Brady's contracts it's a myth he actually took less money than other quarterbacks to surround him with better talent.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry but the Packers shouldn't make an offer to the Jets. Let's wait and see what they would be ready to part with to acquire him.

I'm more presenting a planned counter in negotiations is all. We are the sellers, #1 rule of selling either ask high or NEVER be the first to make an offer.

Krabs

Reaction score
The Packers wouldn't owe Rodgers a cent if they trade him this offseason. They would take $40.3 million of dead money counting against their cap though.
Right, I understand that and have pointed this out in the past. That dead money can also be split into two seasons. If we keep him we pay him more than $25m a year for him. His cap number according to Over The Cap is $31.6m.
I'm sorry that's ridiculous. Daniel Jones threw for only 15 touchdowns last season while starting 16 games. He has a total of 36 over his last 41 starts.
Missed my point again. I said I would not do a one for one trade for Jones. I wouldn't want Jones at all on the Packers. If I'm the Giants I'm sticking with Jones. I'm not trading for Rodgers. They just had a decent season and he showed some progression. Why trade for Rodgers?

Krabs

Reaction score
This kind of alludes to the point I was trying to make all season. 1st Rodgers isn't 33 year old Aaron. But his decline also wasn't that much. He can't run as fast and a couple throws were affected, probably by his thumb, but so is every single other QB affected by injury.

The biggest issue was had was nobody else was making plays this year for us either. Watching other teams it because so apparent, at least to me, our lack of play makers. Look at that 4th and whatever. Burrows throws it up and it's short, and without hardly doing anything Chase adjusts to it, comes back between 2 defenders and makes a huge 1st down play. Great play. Rodgers threw a better pass than that to Tourre and it was picked by a great defensive play and zero play on the ball by a young receiver.

Just to be clear, I'm not a Rodgers hater. I'd be totally fine with him coming back and playing another year. I think he gives them a much better chance at making the playoffs than Love does. However, as the subject of the thread asks, I do think it is time to move on. This merely because I don't think they have a championship roster. To me, it just feels like it's time for a change. The Packers would take a big hit in terms of dead cap, but it could be worth just hitting the reset button and seeing what we actually have in Love. There's potential in some of the young skill players, but they're not there yet and I doubt Rodgers will be around long enough to see them reach that potential. Do I feel like it is time? Yes. Do I think that he still has gas in the tank and would give the Packers a better chance and winning? Yes.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have never denied that Rodgers is a great QB. However everything is about the $$ and length of time he can surpass his compensation.

If Aaron Rodgers told GB tomorrow that he just wants to Win a SB at any cost in the next 3 seasons. If he said let’s renegotiate for a hypothetical 3X$75mil guaranteed, plus an extra $5mil to make a SB and another $5mil to Win it?

Are you on board with taking the third best offer, the offer that doesn't make the Packers as much better as other offers might, just to avoid having Rodgers in the NFC? To me that makes no sense. I care about the Packers, I want them to be the best they can be, not the third best they can be because the GM is scared of playing Rodgers in the playoffs or something.

Members online

Latest posts