1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Is Aaron Rodgers playing conservative??

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by rodell330, Oct 16, 2013.

1. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +985
    I've watched every game, and every offensive snap this season.. and i may be over analyzing a bit but does it seem like Aaron Rodgers isn't as aggressive?? We have red zone issues and the big reason why is that we are way to conservative down there...now i'm the type of guy who would tell his qb be "smart" with your throws...we either leave with three point's or a touchdown period...however be agressive smart. I havn't seen the back shoulder throw which was a staple of this offense hardly at all this season. I know db's have studied it to defend it but there are still oppertunities to throw it. Jermichael Finley isn't targeted as much in the red zone as he should be either. As accurate as Rodgers is do you guy's think he's playing not to make a mistake? or is the play calling holding himback from being agressive? Thoughts?

2. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,452
    He can only take what the defense allows him to take. He has had trouble imposing his will due to guys not getting good seperation and poor play calling. He is not a one man army, he needs his troops to step up as well. Now that cobb is gone and J Jones is out for another game, don't expect guys like boykin to be cobblike or to be as good as jones. I also dont see our guys that moved up from practice squad having any real role besides taking up space. If they shut down Nelson and finley, this upcoming game will make for a long day.
    The one other issue I see ALL DAMN GAME with Arod is that he just sits there and keeps looking when he has had MANY chances to take off and get some yardage with his feet, then BOOM he takes a sack.

3. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +985
    that's my only real issue with #12...sometimes he can hold the ball to long.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,452
    That, and the fact that he looks for the homerun ball to often when a shorter option is wide open. Just keep the drive going.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,427
    No. I think that he's faced some stout defenses. It won't get easier this week as Cleveland has the best defense of any team we've seen this season. They are ranked 8th against the pass, 7th against the run, and 11th in points.

6. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    That howitzer he threw to Jordy against the Ravens sure wasn't conservative!!:)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,452
    Yeah, I seem to have the same thinking as you....but hoping that their D fades away as it did againt the slimey Lions last week. Stafford tore them a new A$$hole.

8. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,678
    Agreed.
    BUT.... he's made many HUGE plays when he buys just a little extra time. He can't tell sometimes if someone's coming from behind him and about to hit the ball..... but yes he seems the opposite of Farve in that Farve would rather sling it before the hit comes, risk the ints. Rodgers hates the ints, although they're up this year compared to the past few years. Two of them clearly not his fault though.

9. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,452
    Agrred. One came due to FINLEY and the other was due to poor route running. So, he should really only have 2. The TD's are down due to lack of red zone production.

10. Sunshinepacker

Sunshinepacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +352
    I agree with those saying that Rodgers is, and historically has, been playing somewhat aggressively rather than conservatively. He will generally forego the shorter, check-down pass in the hopes of landing the deep ball.

I'll also add to the point that the Packers have actually faced some pretty decent pass defenses this year. Football Outsiders has Washington as the only team without an above-average pass defense that we've played (San Fran is 6th best and Bengals are fourth).

11. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,452
    That is true, but in the recent past he has picked clean some pretty good defenses. Still early, maybe he and his troops heat it up soon. this weekend would be the perfect time to do so.

12. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +784
    Where did you see that. McCarthy said a decision on Jones wouldn't be made until Friday. Reports indicate he was on the sidelines today with no discernible limp.

13. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +784
    I bet they won't be ranked 7th against the run after Sunday. Or 8th against the pass for that matter.

14. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +832
    He does tend to do this and he also has had multiple occasions here he could run for the first and opts to throw and it ends up incomplete.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,673
    Too bad it doesn't make it onto the "Top highlights of the week" segments.
    What does instead?
    That one handed catch for a TD by the Raven's receiver.
    And it didn't help them win the game.

16. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,452
    ESPN.GO.com
    I was reading about all our players hurt and he was said to be a doubtful

17. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,137
    Rodgers' time from snap to release is was way down according to an early season report from PFF which would appear to be holding up. Last season he was something like 31st. in the league at 2.8 seconds if memory serves.

It seems to me he's not trying to extend plays with his legs nearly as often with that slip-sliding around and out of the pocket.

There seems to be a concerted effort to normalize both the offense and the defense.

That does not mean he's not going to take his shots down the field. Would we have it any other way?

18. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +985
    With a running game now i expect more long bombs down the field. Jordy Nelson is our only real deep threat now so maybewe see the Jordy Nelson fron 2011??

19. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,452
    without a double long threat, I would expect nelson to see their best DB and to have safety help over the top.....he will be covered hardcore.