Is a Football Team Own by Fans.........

D

Deleted member 6794

Mmm, i'm still on the fence here. I lost most respect for MM moreso than Hundley imo. Our offensive strategy without Rodgers has been shambles and not all of that can be attributed to Hundely.

McCarthy deserves some blame for Hundley struggling as his game plans weren't perfect by any means in supporting the backup quarterback but Hundley didn't show a whole lot making me believe he could be a decent starting QB in the league.

Brohm was drafted because Nall wasn't coming back and they needed new QB depth. You can't have a roster with 1 QB on it.

At the time the Packers drafted Brohm a lot of experts expected him to end up being a better player than Rodgers. In addition teams don't actually spend a second round pick on a player poised to solely turn into a backup.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy deserves some blame for Hundley struggling as his game plans weren't perfect by any means in supporting the backup quarterback but Hundley didn't show a whole lot making me believe he could be a decent starting QB in the league.

It's a combination of factors. Even in college Hundley was more likely to make plays with his foot than arm. The shambolic defence puts an unnecessary pressure to score quickly which is not the game to suit Hundley. Also the play calling was abysmal. I'd agree Hundely may not be a suitable starter for any team in NFL, but he certainly can be a good 1st option in depth.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a combination of factors. Even in college Hundley was more likely to make plays with his foot than arm. The shambolic defence puts an unnecessary pressure to score quickly which is not the game to suit Hundley. Also the play calling was abysmal. I'd agree Hundely may not be a suitable starter for any team in NFL, but he certainly can be a good 1st option in depth.

First off, I agree with your post.

Secondly, excellent use of the word "shambolic".......:)

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the time the Packers drafted Brohm a lot of experts expected him to end up being a better player than Rodgers. In addition teams don't actually spend a second round pick on a player poised to solely turn into a backup.

Who cares what "a lot of experts" say? TT and MM said from Day 1 after the draft that Rodgers was their man. Brohm was brought in to provide depth and to push Rodgers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Who cares what "a lot of experts" say? TT and MM said from Day 1 after the draft that Rodgers was their man. Brohm was brought in to provide depth and to push Rodgers.

While Thompson and McCarthy definitely planned on Rodgers being the starter they drafted Brohm as a security blanket in case Rodgers turned out to be a bust.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

so a lot of experts are wrong but coaches and GMs are always right and more importantly they always tell the truth.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
so a lot of experts are wrong but coaches and GMs are always right and more importantly they always tell the truth.

Agreed.

Seems like most GM's and coaches try to stay upbeat and positive about players or situations in public. The way you know that MM isn't so upbeat, is when he won't answer the question or he uses the word "hope" or "we need to start...". TT you could never really read, he never looked comfortable in front of a camera or behind a mic.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Thompson and McCarthy definitely planned on Rodgers being the starter they drafted Brohm as a security blanket in case Rodgers turned out to be a bust.
And to push him to be his best in TC. Regardless, drafting Brohm changed nothing about it being a no-brainer decision to not bring Favre back.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed.

Seems like most GM's and coaches try to stay upbeat and positive about players or situations in public. The way you know that MM isn't so upbeat, is when he won't answer the question or he uses the word "hope" or "we need to start...". TT you could never really read, he never looked comfortable in front of a camera or behind a mic.
I"m going to miss that about Ted. he didn't talk much. He was smart and quick enough to throw stuff back at reporters and some of it was funny stuff, but he'd never give you anything about how they go about their business, or why they did what they did. IMO, a GM shouldn't ever divulge a damn thing. It's kind of why I laugh whenever I read comments about Ted's "ego". Those guys get in front of the mic and tell you why their picks were so good and why all their decisions were right. Ted? Never told you **** :) He didn't care what you thought, he had work to do. kind of like BB, but Ted has a better sense of humor

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I"m going to miss that about Ted. he didn't talk much. He was smart and quick enough to throw stuff back at reporters and some of it was funny stuff, but he'd never give you anything about how they go about their business, or why they did what they did. IMO, a GM shouldn't ever divulge a damn thing. It's kind of why I laugh whenever I read comments about Ted's "ego". Those guys get in front of the mic and tell you why their picks were so good and why all their decisions were right. Ted? Never told you **** :) He didn't care what you thought, he had work to do. kind of like BB, but Ted has a better sense of humor

TT's dry sense of humor was very subtle for sure. In such a highly competitive league as the NFL, I have never been bothered too much about being "left in the dark" over information that if kept secret, allowed for a competitive edge. In the internet age, some like to think we are entitled to every detail and scrap of information, but if the team doesn't have to report it, I understand why they keep it in house. I would be one of the first people in line though to read a Ted Thompson autobiography, but I doubt that will ever get written.

D

Deleted member 6794

And to push him to be his best in TC. Regardless, drafting Brohm changed nothing about it being a no-brainer decision to not bring Favre back.

It doesn't make sense to discuss with you about this topic any further as it seems you aren't capable of giving Thompson any credit for making a right decision in a very difficult situation.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moving on from Brett was hardly easy and hardly popular with fans. There are still large groups of people that still hate Ted for that single decision. Considering Brett when on to play a few more years and reach another NFCCG and had his best season ever as a pro after he left GB also points to the fact that he was not done. And up to that point, Rodgers hadn't shown a lot. I'm relying completely on my ****** memory going back a ways, but at least 1 of those seasons he was on IR in his first 3-4 seasons and really only had 1 game where he came in and did well.

At that point that only thought they had someone, you don't know until they respond under pressure. and lots of guys have had short term success in this league. Moving on from a HOF QB that still has it to an unknown? that took balls, some have never seen balls so big, so they probably don't think they really exist. But they do. I've seen them, ask me how I know :)

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't make sense to discuss with you about this topic any further as it seems you aren't capable of giving Thompson any credit for making a right decision in a very difficult situation.

From my perspective it seems you aren't capable of seeing how obvious it was that giving in to Favre's demands that summer would have been damaging to the entire staff's credibility. Giving in would have been disastrous on many levels.

Yes. It was the right decision, and he gets credit for it. But that still doesn't mean it was a difficult one. And I'm pretty sure the decision to move on from Favre was made and finalized long before he announced he was waffling on his retirement. TT and MM both had to be frustrated with his annual will-he-won't-he games. To bring him back at that point would have meant taking all of the preparations over the previous 5 months and throwing it all in the trash, along with the QB they had been grooming for 3 years. The decision after that point was not whether or not to give him his starting job back, it was where to trade him.

Let me ask you. If they had given Favre what he wanted and he played for a couple more seasons, what would have been the result?

Last edited:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moving on from Brett was hardly easy and hardly popular with fans.

There were a lot more fans fed up with his drama than you might care to remember.

There are still large groups of people that still hate Ted for that single decision.

And those people were Favre fans, not Packer fans. That or they havent' been paying attention the last decade.

Considering Brett when on to play a few more years and reach another NFCCG and had his best season ever as a pro after he left GB also points to the fact that he was not done.

You're right. He wasn't done. He still had one more bone-headed NFCCG interception left in him.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

All he had to do was either run for 5 or 10 yards or throw it to Bernard Berrian for an easy 10-15 yard gain which would have put them in position for about a 40-45 yard Longwell FG to win the game. But he tried to force a pass to a guy who wasn't even remotely open and instead hit Tracey Porter right in the numbers, all because he wanted that game-winning touchdown pass. That was his playoff pattern for his last several years in Green Bay. When they lined up for that play, I told my wife, "You watch. Here comes an interception." and Brett did not disappoint. There was PLENTY of fan support for moving on to Rodgers.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was firmly in the camp that no man was bigger than the team, not even Favre. I supported the moved from him to Rodgers since day 1. I don't need a history lesson. But you're kidding yourself if you think it was an easy decision.