Is a Football Team Own by Fans.........

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson made the right decision to stick with Rodgers once Favre decided to play again though.
And that decision was so obvious that it really wasn't much of a decision at all. The only decision to be made was what to do with Favre. Trading him out of conference was the right call. It's what any smart GM would have done.

D

Deleted member 6794

Favre also played on teams in the 90's that had much better defenses than what we have seen for the most part since.

While that statement is true early during Favre's career the Packers had a top 10 scoring defense only once during his tenure after reaching the Super Bowl during the 1997 season.

D

Deleted member 6794

And that decision was so obvious that it really wasn't much of a decision at all. The only decision to be made was what to do with Favre. Trading him out of conference was the right call. It's what any smart GM would have done.

There are definitely valid reasons to criticize Thompson for the lack of talent on several teams over the past few years but it's ludicrous to not give him any credit for making an extremely tough and unpopular decision to stick with Rodgers in 2008.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While that statement is true early during Favre's career the Packers had a top 10 scoring defense only once during his tenure after reaching the Super Bowl during the 1997 season.

Yup, 4th in 1998. That was the point I was trying to make and I guess I didn't make it very well. LOL Both Favre and Rodgers have had to play with some pretty crappy defenses, but early in Favre's career, he benefited by having a top 10 defense 5 years in a row, 7 total during his time as a Packer. Rodgers has only had a top 10 defense twice in his career, 2009 and 2010.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yup, 4th in 1998. That was the point I was trying to make and I guess I didn't make it very well. LOL Both Favre and Rodgers have had to play with some pretty crappy defenses, but early in Favre's career, he benefited by having a top 10 defense 5 years in a row, 7 total during his time as a Packer. Rodgers has only had a top 10 defense twice in his career, 2009 and 2010.

The Packers finished fourth in yards allowed in 1998 but only 11th in scoring defense. The team ranked sixth in that category during Favre's last season with Green Bay.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are definitely valid reasons to criticize Thompson for the lack of talent on several teams over the past few years but it's ludicrous to not give him any credit for making an extremely tough and unpopular decision to stick with Rodgers in 2008.
I disagree that it was a difficult decision at all. It was an obvious decision. Favre had been jerking everyone around for years with his retirement drama. When he finally DID retire the Packers invested the entire offseason in getting Rodgers ready to take over. If TT had bent over to give Favre what he wanted 5 months later he would have completely alienated Rodgers, and for what? It only becomes a difficult decision if you care about the adoration of fans, and no GM should base a decision on that. For that matter, a great many fans were also tired of the annual drama, and Favre took that to a whole new level in 2008. Enough was enough and the decision was simple.

D

Deleted member 6794

I disagree that it was a difficult decision at all. It was an obvious decision. Favre had been jerking everyone around for years with his retirement drama. When he finally DID retire the Packers invested the entire offseason in getting Rodgers ready to take over. If TT had bent over to give Favre what he wanted 5 months later he would have completely alienated Rodgers, and for what? It only becomes a difficult decision if you care about the adoration of fans, and no GM should base a decision on that. For that matter, a great many fans were also tired of the annual drama, and Favre took that to a whole new level in 2008. Enough was enough and the decision was simple.

You're using hindsight to evaluate Thompson sticking with Rodgers. It was a tough decision at that time and could have backfired if #12 turned out to be a bust and Favre had taken the Vikings to the Super Bowl in 2009.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're using hindsight to evaluate Thompson sticking with Rodgers. It was a tough decision at that time and could have backfired if #12 turned out to be a bust and Favre had taken the Vikings to the Super Bowl in 2009.
No, I'm not, actually. I was fully in support of the decision from Day 1 and considered it a no-brainer. Enough was enough. If he had been allowed to pull of that stunt what would have stopped him from doing it again?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

No, I'm not, actually. I was fully in support of the decision from Day 1 and considered it a no-brainer. Enough was enough. If he had been allowed to pull of that stunt what would have stopped him from doing it again?

I was tired of Favre's antics as well but that doesn't change the fact it was a risky move to stick with Rodgers in 2008.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was tired of Favre's antics as well but that doesn't change the fact it was a risky move to stick with Rodgers in 2008.
First of all, that's your opinion, not a fact. The greater risk would have been to alienate Rodgers, and they obviously knew him and his potential well enough to know they didn't want to do that. Favre's welcome was worn out and he did it to himself.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT didn't make a call. The reason TT moved on from Favre is because Favre RETIRED. Or has everyone forgotten that?

Have you forgotten Favre Unretired, wanted to come back to Green Bay, but instead Ted traded him to the NY Jets?

That certainly was Ted's call, and a great one.

D

Deleted member 6794

The greater risk would have been to alienate Rodgers, and they obviously knew him and his potential well enough to know they didn't want to do that.

The Packers drafting Brohm in the second round as well as Flynn in the seventh round of the 2008 draft strongly indicates the front office wasn't sure about Rodgers potential.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems they were wrong about that as well though.

Mmm, i'm still on the fence here. I lost most respect for MM moreso than Hundley imo. Our offensive strategy without Rodgers has been shambles and not all of that can be attributed to Hundely.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No, there was a decision to n=be made. At that time, Rodgers had not seen a lot of significant playing time in games that mattered (the lone exception being in a relief role against Dallas, a game GB lost), and he was in the last year of his rookie deal. Ted could have easily welcomed Favre back (Favre had taken the Pack to the NFC Championship game the season before) and left Rodgers on the bench. That is certainly what a large contingent of Packer fans wanted and expected, and when that didn't happen, a lot of those fans wanted Ted's head on a pike. Time ultimately proved TT correct, but at the time it was a tough call, and he made it. To say it wasn't much of a decision is just flat-out wrong.

I know some people loathe the prospect of giving Ted any credit for anything, and I'm not saying he was perfect - Far from it. But let's be reasonable......

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you forgotten Favre Unretired, wanted to come back to Green Bay, but instead Ted traded him to the NY Jets?

That certainly was Ted's call, and a great one.

I'm well aware of that. But Favre's time in GB was over when he retired. The decision wasn't whether to bring him back. It was where to trade him.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm well aware of that. But Favre's time in GB was over when he retired. The decision wasn't whether to bring him back. It was where to trade him.

Not entirely true. Ted could have brought him back, just as Favre and a good portion of the fan-base wanted him to. He decided not to. That's a decision.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers drafting Brohm in the second round as well as Flynn in the seventh round of the 2008 draft strongly indicates the front office wasn't sure about Rodgers potential.

Brohm was drafted because Nall wasn't coming back and they needed new QB depth. You can't have a roster with 1 QB on it. Regardless, it has nothing to do with the fact that not allowing Favre to jerk the team around any longer was NOT a difficult decision. The only decision to be made was where to send him. He was done playing for GB the day he originally retired.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not entirely true. Ted could have brought him back, just as Favre and a good portion of the fan-base wanted him to. He decided not to. That's a decision.
Sure it was a decision. Whether to have a ribeye or balut for dinner is a decision too. Some decisions are very, very easy. The decision to move on was made when Favre retired and they were not about to stab Rodgers in the back just because Favre waffled. What message would that send? They had already told Rodgers he was going to be able to compete for the starting job, which essentially made it his to lose. They even offered to let Favre be part of that competition. If they had bowed to Favre's demand to give him his starting job back on a platter, it would have severely damaged their integrity and ability to lead the team. And BTW, at least as many of the fan-base were glad to be rid of Favre's antics, not that a GM should ever bow to fans' opinions anyway.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wouldn't you have to be fairly confident he can be a starter if you want to trade him as such?

actually all you need is a trading partner who views him as such. It really doesn't matter what you think.:D

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure it was a decision. Whether to have a ribeye or balut for dinner is a decision too. Some decisions are very, very easy. The decision to move on was made when Favre retired and they were not about to stab Rodgers in the back just because Favre waffled. What message would that send? They had already told Rodgers he was going to be able to compete for the starting job, which essentially made it his to lose. They even offered to let Favre be part of that competition. If they had bowed to Favre's demand to give him his starting job back on a platter, it would have severely damaged their integrity and ability to lead the team. And BTW, at least as many of the fan-base were glad to be rid of Favre's antics, not that a GM should ever bow to fans' opinions anyway.

That decision seems easy in hindsight, and perhaps for Ted it was. At the time, however, it angered a lot of Packer fans who loved Favre and didn't know Rodgers. And it took some guts for Ted to go out on that limb alone: Rodgers had not yet started a game in the NFL, and no one could be certain if he was the next Bart Starr or the next Don Horn. Favre, for all his antics, was a proven commodity: League MVP, taken his team to two Super Bowls and won one, and generally beloved by Packer Nation. At that moment in time, Aaron Rodgers had exactly none of that going for him.

It was a gutsy call. Ted should be given credit for making it. Even if it kills the Ted-haters.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I will be the first to admit, I loved Favre and was upset to see him go. I also wasn't privy to all of the information that the front office, coaches and other players had about Favre at the time. It all worked out pretty well for the Packers, but had Rodgers not been the great QB that he turned out to be, I think the story would be written and remembered differently than it is now.

Members online

Latest posts