Is a Football Team Own by Fans.........

Reaction score
.......... much easier to make football decisions when it comes to cleaning house in the front offices?

I think it is compared to convincing some rich cigar smoking fat cat owner changes needed to be made?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes. :) However, seriously, how many real owners would have put up with the same set of management since 2010? Of course, there's the Bengals.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
.......... much easier to make football decisions when it comes to cleaning house in the front offices?

I think it is compared to convincing some rich cigar smoking fat cat owner changes needed to be made?

Since the fan ownership is largely ceremonial (maybe not exactly the word I'm looking for, illusionary perhaps) I'd say probably not. I don't think the fans with stock in the team are really listened to any more than fans of other teams with fat cat cigar smoking owners.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. Not really. Tends to make knee jerk emotional decisions after every loss.
That definitely doesn't sound like the Packers. Green Bay has been one of the most stable places to work.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think what might have been meant is that, IF public ownership was actually real, wholesale changes would constantly be made.

OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score
I just think when the wheels start coming off any given team, the the office would listen to 50,000
screaming fans then waiting for one owner to make adjustments.

Ex:
Remember when Teddy boy and MM let Favre walk out of town and replaced by A. Rogers?

For the first time I felt sorry for TT at family night watching fans screaming direct in his face,
on how unhappily they where to see the gun slinger leave camp.
(One of Teds rare appearance walking in public)

D

Deleted member 6794

I just think when the wheels start coming off any given team, the the office would listen to 50,000

Ex:
Remember when Teddy boy and MM let Favre walk out of town and replaced by A. Rogers?

For the first time I felt sorry for TT at family night watching fans screaming direct in his face,

Every team in the league has a lot of fans voicing their opinions. A portion of Packers' fans "owning" the team doesn't result in them actually having more influence on the front office making football decisions though.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's easier to ignore 50,ooo faceless fans, who all have differing opinions, than it is to ignore one wealthy owner who knows what he wants.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Since the fan ownership is largely ceremonial (maybe not exactly the word I'm looking for, illusionary perhaps) I'd say probably not. I don't think the fans with stock in the team are really listened to any more than fans of other teams with fat cat cigar smoking owners.

Was the word you were looking for "symbolic" to describe fan "ownership" of the organization through the holding of "stock".

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was the word you were looking for "symbolic" to describe fan "ownership" of the organization through the holding of "stock".

Green Bay Packers, Inc Shareholder rights.
"Shareholder rights
Even though it is referred to as "common stock" in corporate offering documents, a share of Packers stock does not share the same rights traditionally associated with common or preferred stock. It does not include an equity interest, does not pay dividends, cannot be traded, and has no securities-law protection. It also brings no season ticket purchase privileges. All shareholders receive are voting rights, an invitation to the corporation's annual meeting, and an opportunity to purchase exclusive shareholder-only merchandise.[4] Shares of stock cannot be resold, except back to the team for a fraction of the original price. While new shares can be given as gifts, transfers are technically allowed only between immediate family members once ownership has been established."

source: packers.com

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Green Bay Packers, Inc Shareholder rights.
"Shareholder rights
Even though it is referred to as "common stock" in corporate offering documents, a share of Packers stock does not share the same rights traditionally associated with common or preferred stock. It does not include an equity interest, does not pay dividends, cannot be traded, and has no securities-law protection. It also brings no season ticket purchase privileges. All shareholders receive are voting rights, an invitation to the corporation's annual meeting, and an opportunity to purchase exclusive shareholder-only merchandise.[4] Shares of stock cannot be resold, except back to the team for a fraction of the original price. While new shares can be given as gifts, transfers are technically allowed only between immediate family members once ownership has been established."

source: packers.com

I think they learned this sales technique from all those people selling "bridges and stars"?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ex:

Ahhh but see, this is an example of why a mob rule in Green Bay would have been disastrous over the Favre-Rodgers saga. And ... knowing many of the fans here, too much fan influence over executive decisions by the Packers board or the front office would result in a chaos reign.

Now, I'm not saying that us fans don't have a voice either here, or on social media, blogs, radio call-ins or what have you. Local media do like to gauge where the fans opinions are at, and we do buy the tickets so that will always be a factor in some regards. Private owners have to deal with the same thing though, and in some big cities also deal with big time media pressure.

What's great about our ownership is we'll never have a greedy bastard decide one day to move the team to chase the almighty dollar.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope, just the greedy players leaving to move themselves to chase the almightly dollar.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's not like 100% were in favor of keeping Favre though. The fans were divided.
I'm a Favre fan to this day, but I was okay with moving on to Rodgers, I could see the logic behind it.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'd bet the Packers have quite a few rich, cigar-smoking, fat cat owners.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ex:

Perfect example of the maxim "If you start listening to the fans, you'll end up sitting with them".

As history has proven, Ted was right, and all the screamers were wrong.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Need a little more explanation on that one. What the screamers (certainly me included) have been yelling about is the lack of multiple Lombardis with Favre and Rodgers at the helm. Don't see how history has proven TT right in that context.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Need a little more explanation on that one. What the screamers (certainly me included) have been yelling about is the lack of multiple Lombardis with Favre and Rodgers at the helm. Don't see how history has proven TT right in that context.

I was replying to the previous post, which addressed Ted moving on from Favre in favor of Rodgers. A certain portion of Packer faithful were ready to lynch Ted over that, but time proved it was the right call.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How was TT right? Terrible D for how many years now. Our management doesn't have the pressure an owner would put on them. The Vikes have rebuilt their team and one win from the SB with a 3rd string QB. Frankly anyone sticking up for TT hasn't been paying attention. How is our situation now any different then the last few years of Favre? No FA, average at best drafts and qb talent wasted. Content to make the playoffs and keep their jobs.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How was TT right? Terrible D for how many years now. Our management doesn't have the pressure an owner would put on them. The Vikes have rebuilt their team and one win from the SB with a 3rd string QB. Frankly anyone sticking up for TT hasn't been paying attention. How is our situation now any different then the last few years of Favre? No FA, average at best drafts and qb talent wasted. Content to make the playoffs and keep their jobs.

The topic was Rodgers of Favre. He picked Rodgers. That was the correct call. Ergo, Ted was right.

If you wish to argue he should have jettison Rodgers and hung on to Favre, be my guest.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was replying to the previous post, which addressed Ted moving on from Favre in favor of Rodgers. A certain portion of Packer faithful were ready to lynch Ted over that, but time proved it was the right call.

TT didn't make a call. The reason TT moved on from Favre is because Favre RETIRED. Or has everyone forgotten that?

D

Deleted member 6794

TT didn't make a call. The reason TT moved on from Favre is because Favre RETIRED. Or has everyone forgotten that?

Thompson made the right decision to stick with Rodgers once Favre decided to play again though.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre's talent wasn't wasted. It was what it was. We should have had at least 2 more Super Bowl appearances with Favre except Favre single-handedly threw away at least 3 and arguably up to 5 playoff games with his patented, game-losing interceptions. Those losses were a direct result of his poor decision making when the pressure was on. He even did it again in Minnesota. Rodgers excels under pressure. Favre did not. He tended to panic.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Favre also played on teams in the 90's that had much better defenses than what we have seen for the most part since.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts