Hypothetical Rodgers trade with the Raiders

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know one day, we'll move on. I'm in no hurry to do so or gamble :)

pulling that handle again is how the house wins. They always win in the end just like father time will win here too eventually. I'd view trading Rodgers now like looking at the football gods and taunting the **** out of them. They blows they'd rain back down on us would be unimaginable LOL. Being a Lions fan would look like a long way up from where we'd be.

I drove an old Pontiac Vibe well past the 200K mark just because I bought it with little money and that car did nothing but run and run and run and cost me nothing but oil changes and gas for a long time even though I had a 50K truck sitting in my driveway waiting to take me places. I didn't want to **** off the car gods either. Eventually I sold it and go figure, little things happen every year with this truck since new.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
What's the difference if we finish 13-4 or 12-5 with Rodgers or 9-7, 8-9 with Love.

4-5 wins and probably the playoffs, as well as feeling like you have a shot at the Super Bowl. If you are a fan that only measures a teams success by one thing, a Super Bowl win, than probabilities should tell you that you are going to be sadly disappointed most of the time.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know one day, we'll move on. I'm in no hurry to do so or gamble :)

pulling that handle again is how the house wins. They always win in the end just like father time will win here too eventually. I'd view trading Rodgers now like looking at the football gods and taunting the **** out of them. They blows they'd rain back down on us would be unimaginable LOL. Being a Lions fan would look like a long way up from where we'd be.

I drove an old Pontiac Vibe well past the 200K mark just because I bought it with little money and that car did nothing but run and run and run and cost me nothing but oil changes and gas for a long time even though I had a 50K truck sitting in my driveway waiting to take me places. I didn't want to **** off the car gods either. Eventually I sold it and go figure, little things happen every year with this truck since new.

I hope when you sold it, you got the $50K some here would expect you to get for it and its replacement fell into your lap and was even better.

Canadian Cheddar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw this on NFL.com

https://www.nfl.com/videos/schrager...de-scenario-for-raiders-to-land-aaron-rodgers

The Raiders get Rodgers

The Packers get Derek Carr, Henry Ruggs, Maxx Crosby, 2021 1st rounder, 2022 first rounder, 2022 second rounder.

Basically the discussion centered around Carr and Love. A couple said that Carr was a non issue. That he was a throw in that doesn't really warrant consideration and I agree. The Packers are only going to trade Rodgers right now if they think Love is ready to take over which was another persons point. They are not going to move Rodgers in a deal that includes a stopgap QB. One guy said swap Waller for Carr and then maybe he would think about it but he ultimately said no.

So what do you think? That's two first rounders and a second for draft capital for a guy who is coming off of an MVP season although he will be 38 and his prior three seasons were not nearly as spectacular. As for the players involved, like I said, Carr is a non issue to me and doesn't really bring much of value to the deal although if they did make the trade I would probably feel better about Carr being the starter in 2021 than Love. At least to start the year. If he plays well and Love doesn't develop he might be enough to continue past 2021 and if Love does develop Carr might net a draft pick in trade for 2022. Ruggs would be a nice fit alongside Adams and it would be like getting the first round WR in 2020 that everyone wanted AND Jordan Love. I don't know anything about Crosby other than what I see in his bio but has 17 sacks in 2 years and looks like he could develop into a star.

I have no idea what the cap ramifications would be on this. I think we would save 5.5 million on Rodgers if I read OTC correctly. I don't know how Carr, Ruggs and Crosby would affect it.

I would have to say I would be very tempted. Had Rodgers not just had one of the best years a QB could have, had he been even just average Aaron Rodgers I'd be even more tempted.

The key player in all of his isn't even involved in the trade. If the Packers think Jordan Love is ready and after 2020 I don't see how they possibly could or if they think he will be ready in 2022. It would merit legitimate consideration. I'm not sure, short of another MVP season, that Rodgers would garner such an offer and if he does decline the offer could also decline significantly. There are those who would say NO, you simply don't trade the reigning league MVP. Then there are those who would say that's essentially 3 first rounders, and a second plus a young potentially up and coming star on the DL and a not bad QB. That's not bad for a 38 year old QB that had, in the three years prior to last season, looked as if he just might have peaked and started to taper off.

Wow! That scenario seems to create an unnecessary mess. Rodgers should finish up as a Packer, period. He had his best year statistically last year, and shows no signs of a drop off. Now isn't time to blow up what is still working. Build around Rodgers for a couple more seasons and move forward from there. If Rodgers is injured or performs especially poorly, Jordon Love waiting in the wings.

A complete team rebuild following a trip to the NFC finals seems foolish.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
History shows the likelihood Rodgers finishes a Packer is likely closer to zero than most would admit.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is nuts. I certainly hope that in a couple years when the Packers are sitting at the bottom of the league looking up at the few teams that have a future HOF QB, that all the people in here that think cutting Rodgers loose is a good idea ... are either gone ... or sufficiently silent.

To be fair, the off-season would be just a little boring without at least some threads to debate over. Hence I'm not all that worked up about this one.

Now ... You can definitely count my position as Do Not Trade Rodgers Ever Under any circumstances. He starts as a Packer and retires as a Packer if I were to get my way. But still .... I can entertain a few speculations on what his current worth on the market is.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about that. I mean yeah sure Favre finished on a different team, but Bart Starr didn't.

I think this is more of a "the way it goes these days."

Manning, Brady, Montana, Favre. Among the recent greats, who finished with their team? Tertiary Manning, Big Ben? Brees gets 3/4 credit.

Reaction score
That horrible d also got 3 int from Brady and offense did what ?

ultimate team sport is the answer.. need all 3 phases to perform
thank God or they wouldn’t put up a 40 burger on us!

Granted, We Should have put up 30+ points.. (scored on that last drive and still had a chance to get possession again.. but instead got timid and settled for a FG after starting 1st n Goal from the 8 with timeouts remaining! That’s 4 down territory in a NFC playoff caliber match. You never ever give the ball to Tom Brady in that situation, that’s not probability either, it’s just common sense. Either score.. or leave them at their own 1 foot line trying.
Also turnovers are the kiss of death and Aaron Jones had the worst game of the season there.

PS. I resemble the frustration though, that game could’ve went so many different directions.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Only restructure that makes sense at this point is adding years. Restructure to free up space this year just to kick the can down the road to 2022 doesn't help much since they are still facing a bad cap crunch.

If Rodgers is not wanting to add years because of his bruised ego, then not much they can do. From a pure football on the field standpoint, trading Rodgers is stupid, but personally I'm tired of the 'I'm the smartest man in the room/chip on the shoulder over everything' schtick from Rodgers.

I don't see any scenario in which Rodgers is opposed to adding years to his contract. Most likely the Packers haven't approached him about doing that though.

Why not? A chance to unload this whiney Jeopardy wannabe. He is getting old don't forget.
And I don't believe he is any smarter than Brady.
What's the difference if we finish 13-4 or 12-5 with Rodgers or 9-7, 8-9 with Love.

I highly doubt the Packers would get anywhere close to winning eight or nine games with Love starting this season.

If I were the Packers I would be listening to offers. This comes close to being a great deal. It is pretty good. It won't happen this season but I would take a flyer on Carr for one season under LaFluer to see if he can do it. If not, you still have Love coming in potentially with 1.5yrs of learning in the Packers system.

Whether fans like it or not, the clock is on for Rodgers and it is just a question of when we pull the trigger on a change.

While Rodgers is definitely nearing the end of his career the Packers should take advantage of having a HOF quarterback as long as possible and not move on from him to hand over the reigns to a completely unknown quarterback.

History shows the likelihood Rodgers finishes a Packer is likely closer to zero than most would admit.

It shouldn't be that way though.

Reaction score
If Rodgers had arguably the best season of his career in 2020 as league MVP, then what is the likelihood of his play level dropping off substantially inside 2-3 seasons?

I see the fundamental issue as not if Rodgers is “washed up” but rather the timing of Loves contract with Aaron being extended. It’s a precarious one because Love (or his agent) won’t sit on the bench for 5 seasons waiting to see what happens. It’s like we drafted Love 1-2 years premature because a Rodgers extension all but sends Love packing. I doubt Rodgers would accept a 1 year extension and anything beyond puts Love out to pasture.

IMO we should extend Rodgers a couple seasons with a contract out in 2024 (instead of 2022) I’d temporarily plan on keep Jordan Love for 2 more seasons OR meanwhile be entertaining a trade partner for another player/draft selection(s) that are fair compensation for his drafted value. There’s always teams looking for a QB but that don’t have the draft capital to select one in the top 10 etc.. It wouldn’t be improbable to recoup a late day 1 selection for Love or get a quality veteran in trade. I’d be patient, but also looking to put the throttle down to win now if a reasonable trade offer comes into play.

It’s a Tough spot for GB management... but boy is this a great problem to have!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If Rodgers had arguably the best season of his career in 2020 as league MVP, then what is the likelihood of his play level dropping off substantially inside 2-3 seasons?

I see the fundamental issue as not if Rodgers is “washed up” but rather the timing of Loves contract with Aaron being extended. It’s a precarious one because Love (or his agent) won’t sit on the bench for 5 seasons waiting to see what happens. It’s like we drafted Love 1-2 years premature because a Rodgers extension all but sends Love packing. I doubt Rodgers would accept a 1 year extension and anything beyond puts Love out to pasture.

IMO we should extend Rodgers a couple seasons with a contract out in 2024 (instead of 2022) I’d keep Jordan Love for 2 more seasons OR meanwhile be entertaining a trade partner for another player/draft selection(s) that are fair compensation for his drafted value. There’s always teams looking for a QB but that don’t have the draft capital to select one in the top 10 etc..

The good news, at least in regards to Love, that decision doesn't have to be made for a few years. I get this talk of "we need to keep Rodgers happy", but I didn't see him or any other player passing money back during years when they didn't fully earn their contracts (Rodgers in 2013 and 17). Hell, the Packers gave Aaron a huge new deal before his last one was up. Frankly, I am getting kind of tired of big contracts being signed and then half way into them, players/agents want to renegotiate them. I also don't know how much it is the fans/media blowing this up, more than Rodgers himself might be. All this talk of "the Packers haven't committed to him" is just nuts. They committed almost $100 Million of guaranteed money to him and that isn't a big enough commitment?

OP
OP
S

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The good news, at least in regards to Love, that decision doesn't have to be made for a few years. I get this talk of "we need to keep Rodgers happy", but I didn't see him or any other player passing money back during years when they didn't fully earn their contracts (Rodgers in 2013 and 17). Hell, the Packers gave Aaron a huge new deal before his last one was up. Frankly, I am getting kind of tired of big contracts being signed and then half way into them, players/agents want to renegotiate them. I also don't know how much it is the fans/media blowing this up, more than Rodgers himself might be. All this talk of "the Packers haven't committed to him" is just nuts. They committed almost $100 Million of guaranteed money to him and that isn't a big enough commitment?

While some fans adhere to the "better a year early than a year late" philosophy for most players, when it come to the elite that goes out the window. Players like Rodgers always garner the "they have earned the right to be a Packer for as long as they want to be one" argument from some fans and no matter what, if the team decides to move on it is being disrespectful to the player. It is as if they have played at a superstar level for so long with a mere pittance in the way of compensation that the team owes it to them to keep them around until the player decides to leave. IMO no player is above the team and I will always put the teams best interest ahead of any "loyalty" to any player. I would be happy if Rodgers remained a Packer until he is 45 as long as he plays at a high level but if his performance drops I'm not going to feel that we owe it to him to keep him around just because of what he did for us in the past. If management decides that Love is ready to take the helm and they move on from Rodgers I will be OK with that as long as that decision is based on the performance of the two players. Either Rodgers play drops off significantly or Loves development jumps by leaps and bounds or a combination of the two. The last thing I want is for them to move on from a high performing Rodgers just because they drafted Love and feel like he needs to get his chance or people will consider it a wasted pick. The second to the last thing I want is for them to hang on to a declining Rodgers because they feel they owe it to him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well said Mr. Sschind.

Not sure if anyone else saw it, but now Jordy is in on the "Packers need to treat Rodgers better" train. It was on the Pat McAfee show If you want to hear it.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
S

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said Mr. Sschind.

Not sure if anyone else saw it, but now Jordy is in on the "Packers need to treat Rodgers better" train. It was on the Pat McAfee show If you want to hear it.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sit your *** down Pat.

Seriously just more of the same "they owe it to him talk" Players who are friends like I assume Rodgers and Nelson are are going to stick together especially when one of them may feel like he was mistreated by the team already. He certainly isn't going to take the team's side. I wouldn't expect anything else from Jordy in this instance but in a different line of questioning I think he would have the respectfulness to play it a little differently.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sit your *** down Pat.

Seriously just more of the same "they owe it to him talk" Players who are friends like I assume Rodgers and Nelson are are going to stick together especially when one of them may feel like he was mistreated by the team already. He certainly isn't going to take the team's side. I wouldn't expect anything else from Jordy in this instance but in a different line of questioning I think he would have the respectfulness to play it a little differently.

I hope people aren't reading me wrong, because I absolutely love Rodgers and hope he ends his career in Green Bay. However, as you said, it comes down to making the right business decisions. Hated seeing Jordy go, but understood the Packers rationale behind letting him walk. One thing I will never feel, is sorry for the players, or teams for that matter, that might feel themselves "shorted" out of millions of $'s on an agreed upon contract.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you are a fan that only measures a teams success by one thing, a Super Bowl win, than probabilities should tell you that you are going to be sadly disappointed most of the time.
Unless you're a Tom Brady fan, apparently ;)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
. There’s always teams looking for a QB but that don’t have the draft capital to select one in the top 10 etc.. It wouldn’t be improbable to recoup a late day 1 selection for Love or get a quality veteran in trade. I’d be patient, but also looking to put the throttle down to win now if a reasonable trade offer comes into play.
This worked for Atlanta in '92. They got a 1st for their 2nd round pick from '91. And then wasted it on a RB that Glanville didn't want and didn't play. Talk about a dysfunctional FO. Read numbers 3 & 4.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's what I'm thinking as well. It's very unlikely that Rodgers' performance drops that significantly in time for the 2022 season that it would make Love the better option as starting quarterback at that point.

Therefore it would have been smart for the Packers to restructure his contract, guaranteeing he would be around for at least two more years and keep him happy in the meantime.

IMO we should extend Rodgers a couple seasons with a contract out in 2024 (instead of 2022) I’d temporarily plan on keep Jordan Love for 2 more seasons OR meanwhile be entertaining a trade partner for another player/draft selection(s) that are fair compensation for his drafted value.

I highly doubt any team who passed on Love in last year's draft would be interested in giving up a first rounder on a player thst hasn't even taken a snap since.

The Packers front office put themselves in that situation without any reason. I don't consider it to be a good problem to have.

All this talk of "the Packers haven't committed to him" is just nuts. They committed almost $100 Million of guaranteed money to him and that isn't a big enough commitment?

Well, at this point Rodgers' contract doesn't include any guaranteed money anymore though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, at this point Rodgers' contract doesn't include any guaranteed money anymore though.

Possibly if you inserted the word "more" between "any" and "guaranteed", that would make sense. However, I consider the guaranteed money of nearly $100M that the Packers invested in Rodgers at the beginning of the contract, as a commitment by both sides for the length of the contract.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I highly doubt any team who passed on Love in last year's draft would be interested in giving up a first rounder on a player thst hasn't even taken a snap since.
Back to Favre: In '91 he had 6 pass attempts, zero completions except the two to the defense. Gee that Ron Wolf guy was a friggin moron to send a higher pick to Atlanta to get him than they used to draft him.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hadn't seen this story until now, but the over/under on Love's draft position was (according to the oddsmakers at William Hill U.S.) 16.5. IF GB hadn't taken Love it's possible that Indy at 34 might have OR they might have traded-up to get him?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/03/jordan-love-nfl-draft-2020-pick

What are the chances Gute sticks with AR long-term, extends him another 2 years, and trades away Love? Swing a trade with: Washington (#19); NO (#28 & #133 for Love & #142); New England's #15; or dare I say Chicago's #20?

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Possibly if you inserted the word "more" between "any" and "guaranteed", that would make sense. However, I consider the guaranteed money of nearly $100M that the Packers invested in Rodgers at the beginning of the contract, as a commitment by both sides for the length of the contract.
Totally agree. If there is no need to clear cap space, they should not be in a hurry to restructure Rodgers contract. They’ve committed a huge amount of money to him already. No further extension at this time is needed.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
What are the chances Gute sticks with AR long-term, extends him another 2 years, and trades away Love? Swing a trade with: Washington (#19); NO (#28 & #133 for Love & #142); New England's #15; or dare I say Chicago's #20?
I was looking for a place for this theory. I don't think BB gives up #15 for a QB as a top 5 may still be there. He might go #15 for Love and #29? Or #45 straight up? I thought of Chicago at #20 if 5 QBs are gone but they might want something back on day 2 like #62. I like your numbers better but I don't think the love for Love is that strong this year. If he's gone we need to spend a day 2 pick or early day 3 to replace him. So no real gain except to mollify the pundits whining about AR12 being disrespected.