Hypothetical Rodgers trade with the Raiders

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah no....this deal makes no sense. the rodgers restructure has to be coming so who knows. typical off season drama.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
yeah no....this deal makes no sense. the rodgers restructure has to be coming so who knows. typical off season drama.
What makes you think Rodgers contract is going to be restructured? If they extend Adam’s contract they may not need to redo Rodgers.

GophersAndPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say it's more likely that the 49ers offer us their 3rd overall this year and some other picks for AR12. He'd definitely want to go there, and he'd be playing in the same offense, and they'd be competing for Super Bowls while we go through a learning curve with Love.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They didn't re-sign Jones and rework Zsmith etc to take a 20 million dollar cap hit or go thru a learning curve with Love this year.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If I just woke up from a 2 year slumber and read this thread, I would have thought that the Packers had just suffered 2 straight loosing seasons and were firmly in rebuild and desperation mode.

What makes people think that the Packers would have paid AR his $6.8M roster bonus and then turn around and trade him a month later? Or that a team that was literally 1-2 plays away from the Super Bowl, has almost the same team back, is going to trade away THE one player that makes them a contender?

We heard this talk 3 years ago and had the Packers traded Rodgers then, where would the Packers be today? Probably still in rebuild mode, wondering if another Franchise QB is in their near future.

While I understand people wanting to get some trade value for Rodgers, while he still has some value, but to what ends?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
We heard this talk 3 years ago and had the Packers traded Rodgers then, where would the Packers be today? Probably still in rebuild mode, wondering if another Franchise QB is in their near future.
I was OK in 2017 of trading Rodgers to the Browns for all their 1st and 2nd round picks in 2017 and 2018. But only for the Browns boatload of high picks. Patrick Mahomes was there, Mitch turdbisket, Watson, Mayfield, Josh Allen, Jackson. We'd be doing OK now as long as Teddy didn't screw it up and trade it away for 40 day 3 picks.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was OK in 2017 of trading Rodgers to the Browns for all their 1st and 2nd round picks in 2017 and 2018. But only for the Browns boatload of high picks. Patrick Mahomes was there, Mitch turdbisket, Watson, Mayfield, Josh Allen, Jackson. We'd be doing OK now as long as Teddy didn't screw it up and trade it away for 40 day 3 picks.

You mean like the Browns screwed it up. I mean yeah, I love Myles Garrett, but besides him, they kind of flopped on their 4 picks in 2017 and 18 is still kind of iffy.

2017:
  1. Myles Garrett (#1 overall pick)
  2. Jabrill Peppers( #25)
  3. David Njoku (#29)
  4. DeShon Kizer (#52)
2018:
  1. Baker Mayfield (#1 Overall)
  2. Denzel Ward (#4)
  3. Austin Corbett (#33)
  4. Nick Chub (#35)
Definitely a mix bag of picks and the Packers may have done better or worse, we will never know. I guess I look at the Cleveland Browns, and despite all these High picks in the draft that their shi**y record has "blessed" them with, they still have only had 1 season in the playoffs since....2002.

Sure the picks would be nice, but without Aaron Rodgers, how long does it take to get the Packers back on top?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Sure the picks would be nice, but without Aaron Rodgers, how long does it take to get the Packers back on top?
Where would the Bears be if they sat still in 2017 and settled for Mahomes instead of selling out for Mitch turdbisket?

Baker Mayfield
I do like his "at home with Baker" line of commercials though

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You mean like the Browns screwed it up. I mean yeah, I love Myles Garrett, but besides him, they kind of flopped on their 4 picks in 2017 and 18 is still kind of iffy.

2017:
  1. Myles Garrett (#1 overall pick)
  2. Jabrill Peppers( #25)
  3. David Njoku (#29)
  4. DeShon Kizer (#52)
2018:
  1. Baker Mayfield (#1 Overall)
  2. Denzel Ward (#4)
  3. Austin Corbett (#33)
  4. Nick Chub (#35)
Definitely a mix bag of picks and the Packers may have done better or worse, we will never know. I guess I look at the Cleveland Browns, and despite all these High picks in the draft that their shi**y record has "blessed" them with, they still have only had 1 season in the playoffs since....2002.

It not only takes good picks but, good coaches to get the best out of those picks.

Reaction score
If I just woke up from a 2 year slumber and read this thread,...While I understand people wanting to get some trade value for Rodgers, while he still has some value, but to what ends?
Amen! and AMEN!!
NFL teams spend decades searching for a QB who is a leader and does it by example. Aaron Rodgers may be a pain in the derrière from a personality standpoint, I get that. The other side of that equation is we may have too much pride on the side of those making Personnel decisions.
Has anyone thought of that? Call me a monkey, but I’ve seen some moves by this staff that are downright reminiscent of “Planet of the Apes “the Neanderthal’s return” episode. I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one watching it unfold [sarc]. I’ve watched Hall of Famers from every position, rank and file (former HC’s and Personnel guys) call out our front office recently. Even Gregg Jennings thought this was crazy and he doesn’t even like Aaron! We slapped Aaron Rodgers in the proverbial face and he smiled at them with an MVP grin.
I think he’s put them in a bind he’s played that good!

Will they admit they made a mistake about #12? That’s what I’m waiting for. Will they have the ****** to admit they wasted 2 good draft picks in error? Will foolish pride be their downward spiral? (It’s actually not that big of a deal if Love gets a portion of the draft capital back in a future trade and he should)

It’s just my opinion. Aaron Rodgers has 5-6 more seasons in him and his bottom performance is top 50% of the league and his top is SB MVP. Do we really want him playing against us? I think not.

I’ve seen some strange stuff over the years. But if they let #12 go? they’re as crazy as anything I’ve seen in this last year and then some more craziness added on top.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It not only takes good picks but, good coaches to get the best out of those picks.

Honestly, I don't think the Packers defensive coaches and definitely the special teams coaches over the last several years have much to hang their hats on. As far as the offensive coaching, I would say it is much better since MLF came aboard, but still some room for improvement. That said, one of the big keys is drafting the right players. Looking at Gute's 3 drafts, while the grades are incomplete on all 3 of them, I wouldn't give him more than average marks for his drafts and possibly below average if we don't see marked improvement from some of the players. I hope that changes with the 2021 draft.

Steve15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw this on NFL.com

https://www.nfl.com/videos/schrager...de-scenario-for-raiders-to-land-aaron-rodgers

The Raiders get Rodgers

The Packers get Derek Carr, Henry Ruggs, Maxx Crosby, 2021 1st rounder, 2022 first rounder, 2022 second rounder.

Basically the discussion centered around Carr and Love. A couple said that Carr was a non issue. That he was a throw in that doesn't really warrant consideration and I agree. The Packers are only going to trade Rodgers right now if they think Love is ready to take over which was another persons point. They are not going to move Rodgers in a deal that includes a stopgap QB. One guy said swap Waller for Carr and then maybe he would think about it but he ultimately said no.

So what do you think? That's two first rounders and a second for draft capital for a guy who is coming off of an MVP season although he will be 38 and his prior three seasons were not nearly as spectacular. As for the players involved, like I said, Carr is a non issue to me and doesn't really bring much of value to the deal although if they did make the trade I would probably feel better about Carr being the starter in 2021 than Love. At least to start the year. If he plays well and Love doesn't develop he might be enough to continue past 2021 and if Love does develop Carr might net a draft pick in trade for 2022. Ruggs would be a nice fit alongside Adams and it would be like getting the first round WR in 2020 that everyone wanted AND Jordan Love. I don't know anything about Crosby other than what I see in his bio but has 17 sacks in 2 years and looks like he could develop into a star.

I have no idea what the cap ramifications would be on this. I think we would save 5.5 million on Rodgers if I read OTC correctly. I don't know how Carr, Ruggs and Crosby would affect it.

I would have to say I would be very tempted. Had Rodgers not just had one of the best years a QB could have, had he been even just average Aaron Rodgers I'd be even more tempted.

The key player in all of his isn't even involved in the trade. If the Packers think Jordan Love is ready and after 2020 I don't see how they possibly could or if they think he will be ready in 2022. It would merit legitimate consideration. I'm not sure, short of another MVP season, that Rodgers would garner such an offer and if he does decline the offer could also decline significantly. There are those who would say NO, you simply don't trade the reigning league MVP. Then there are those who would say that's essentially 3 first rounders, and a second plus a young potentially up and coming star on the DL and a not bad QB. That's not bad for a 38 year old QB that had, in the three years prior to last season, looked as if he just might have peaked and started to taper off.
To be fair this was the thinking however many years ago when the transition from Favre to Rodgers was coming to a head...I'm not in favor of trading Rodgers this season or even next. But obviously if Love has developed into what the front office thinks he's going to, you can't rule out trading Rodgers prior to the 2023 season. As at that point it's 5 more years of Rodgers or 15 more years of Love. Really we gotta see this Love character play in the pre season, that'll be very telling

Steve15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not? A chance to unload this whiney Jeopardy wannabe. He is getting old don't forget.
And I don't believe he is any smarter than Brady.
What's the difference if we finish 13-4 or 12-5 with Rodgers or 9-7, 8-9 with Love.

I think Rodgers has proven he can't carry the team to another SB victory

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I were the Packers I would be listening to offers. This comes close to being a great deal. It is pretty good. It won't happen this season but I would take a flyer on Carr for one season under LaFluer to see if he can do it. If not, you still have Love coming in potentially with 1.5yrs of learning in the Packers system.

Whether fans like it or not, the clock is on for Rodgers and it is just a question of when we pull the trigger on a change.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is nuts. I certainly hope that in a couple years when the Packers are sitting at the bottom of the league looking up at the few teams that have a future HOF QB, that all the people in here that think cutting Rodgers loose is a good idea ... are either gone ... or sufficiently silent.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw this on NFL.com

https://www.nfl.com/videos/schrager...de-scenario-for-raiders-to-land-aaron-rodgers

The Raiders get Rodgers

The Packers get Derek Carr, Henry Ruggs, Maxx Crosby, 2021 1st rounder, 2022 first rounder, 2022 second rounder.

Basically the discussion centered around Carr and Love. A couple said that Carr was a non issue. That he was a throw in that doesn't really warrant consideration and I agree. The Packers are only going to trade Rodgers right now if they think Love is ready to take over which was another persons point. They are not going to move Rodgers in a deal that includes a stopgap QB. One guy said swap Waller for Carr and then maybe he would think about it but he ultimately said no.

So what do you think? That's two first rounders and a second for draft capital for a guy who is coming off of an MVP season although he will be 38 and his prior three seasons were not nearly as spectacular. As for the players involved, like I said, Carr is a non issue to me and doesn't really bring much of value to the deal although if they did make the trade I would probably feel better about Carr being the starter in 2021 than Love. At least to start the year. If he plays well and Love doesn't develop he might be enough to continue past 2021 and if Love does develop Carr might net a draft pick in trade for 2022. Ruggs would be a nice fit alongside Adams and it would be like getting the first round WR in 2020 that everyone wanted AND Jordan Love. I don't know anything about Crosby other than what I see in his bio but has 17 sacks in 2 years and looks like he could develop into a star.

I have no idea what the cap ramifications would be on this. I think we would save 5.5 million on Rodgers if I read OTC correctly. I don't know how Carr, Ruggs and Crosby would affect it.

I would have to say I would be very tempted. Had Rodgers not just had one of the best years a QB could have, had he been even just average Aaron Rodgers I'd be even more tempted.

The key player in all of his isn't even involved in the trade. If the Packers think Jordan Love is ready and after 2020 I don't see how they possibly could or if they think he will be ready in 2022. It would merit legitimate consideration. I'm not sure, short of another MVP season, that Rodgers would garner such an offer and if he does decline the offer could also decline significantly. There are those who would say NO, you simply don't trade the reigning league MVP. Then there are those who would say that's essentially 3 first rounders, and a second plus a young potentially up and coming star on the DL and a not bad QB. That's not bad for a 38 year old QB that had, in the three years prior to last season, looked as if he just might have peaked and started to taper off.
It's interesting to think about, but if we're interested in getting another SB win as soon as possible, I'd say no. Carr's cap hit would be high I assume - in fact the deal looks more enticing without him. Problem is we just don't know how Love is going to play. As long as we have arguably the best QB and best WR in the NFL, I'd rather keep them together.

Reaction score
Why not? A chance to unload this whiney Jeopardy wannabe. He is getting old don't forget.
And I don't believe he is any smarter than Brady.
What's the difference if we finish 13-4 or 12-5 with Rodgers or 9-7, 8-9 with Love.

I think Rodgers has proven he can't carry the team to another SB victory
He shouldn’t have to!
This is a team sport and it takes all 3 phases.
Give Rodgers a top 5-8 type scoring Defense and he’s going to be back to last years level or better. He’s one of the best 5 finishing QB’s currently in the league. But our D gave up some really quick and easy TD’s , while the stingy Tampa D made us work for ours.
QB’s get all the focus, but it was the Tampa Defense that harassed us all day long. They were peaking at the perfect time. It wasn’t just us either, Mahomes was running for his life 25 yards behind the LOS!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This is nuts. I certainly hope that in a couple years when the Packers are sitting at the bottom of the league looking up at the few teams that have a future HOF QB, that all the people in here that think cutting Rodgers loose is a good idea ... are either gone ... or sufficiently silent.
Replace Rodgers with Brett and that statement was said in 08

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He shouldn’t have to!
This is a team sport and it takes all 3 phases.
Give Rodgers a top 5-8 type scoring Defense and he’s going to be back to last years level or better. He’s one of the best 5 finishing QB’s currently in the league. But our D gave up some really quick and easy TD’s , while the stingy Tampa D made us work for ours.
QB’s get all the focus, but it was the Tampa Defense that harassed us all day long. They were peaking at the perfect time. It wasn’t just us either, Mahomes was running for his life 25 yards behind the LOS!
That horrible d also got 3 int from Brady and offense did what ?

ultimate team sport is the answer.. need all 3 phases to perform

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That horrible d also got 3 int from Brady and offense did what ?

ultimate team sport is the answer.. need all 3 phases to perform
while I'd agree to a point the context also matters. I think our offense, vs a very good defense and hobbled Oline did a pretty respectable job that day.

It's not like our D was shutting down the Bucs and giving them scoring opportunities they were just wasting willy nilly. Give an offense, any offense the ball inside their own 20 against a Defense playing really well and I bet they punt far more times than they score.

2 of those INT's were at the 16 and the 24. Amos got one with better field position and they did go the 70 or so yards and scored a TD.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummmm... in the last 27 years GB is 2 for 2. Based on that wouldn't you pull the handle again? ;)
No... I would invest my winnings.. and hang on to them as long as I possibly could... recognizing how unlikely it is that I would go 3/3