How many SACKS will NICK PERRY get this rookie season?

How many sacks do you think Perry get this year as a rookie?

• Total voters

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you expect from Nick for rookie impact?

I know most of you never once even watched or noticed him in college because most y'all are cheesehead Baidger Big Ten fans. You also hadn't seen much of Clay Matthews at USC either.

Ted saw something in Clay there he liked. He sees it in Nick too.
IIRC, Matthews had 10.5 sacks as a rookie.
Shawne Merriman had 10, and he is who Perry reminds me of.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

What will Perry give us this year?

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say 5 as well. He gets 5 sacks & plays really good he could get DRPOY

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How many QB hurries and tackles in the backfield will he have? Just as important.

Beat me to it. If he produces 5-7 sacks and a reasonable amount of hurries and plays behind the LoS I will be ecstatic. If he somehow hit double digit sacks I might just be buying myself a new jersey

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he gets 8 and Clay gets 14. That's 22 combined, which is about what DeMarcus Ware got by himself.

I don't think that's unrealistic. I believe Agent P is very strong and will benefit from the attention that teams have on Clay.

And they will benefit from the fierce interior rush from Worthy, Daniels, Hargrove, and Raji. I want QBs to go down, and go down hard, all season long. Eli must be bloodied.

Reaction score
I voted 8 or 9... But I would also be just as satisfied if Matthews gets 15 or more. If Perry gets only 1 sack this season, but Matthews has a huge year, Matthews can personally thank Perry for his success :)

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
6 sacks. I just hope he doesn't trun out to be another Veron gholston....kills it at the combine but sucks as a pro.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
ExpatPacker and slaughter25 have it right IMO. The mistake of the OP IMO is focusing solely on sacks (as he's done previously). I really don't care how many sacks he gets as long as he is a disruptive force on defense. That means getting off blocks for tackles for loss, pressuring QBs, making punishing tackles, forcing fumbles and for him, being good enough in coverage so he doesn't come off the field. (And if he gets an INT or two, I won't mind, but I certainly don't expect it.)

Just as I wish the NFL would rate offenses and defenses by points scored and surrendered, I wish defenders were rated by pressures rather than sacks. As it stands right now, the NFL doesn't have an official definition of pressures or hurries.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ExpatPacker and slaughter25 have it right IMO. The mistake of the OP IMO is focusing solely on sacks (as he's done previously). I really don't care how many sacks he gets .....
The problem with your train of thought here is that a sack is better than a pressure in 95% of cases because it results in a loss of yardage.
Sure sometimes a pressured pass will be picked off.... but a QB feels that pressure a lot more after he's felt the pain of a sack into the turf.

I don't know why people argue otherwise as you are.... some people want to defend Clay's stats last year and say he didn't have a down year because his pressures were up, even though his sacks were waaay down. How'd that work out?

When he's getting sacks, QB's are already feeling the pressure..... last year even though some claim his pressures were up, the opposing QBs obviously felt no pressure as he only had 6 sacks. 8 more would have been 55 more yardage lost, and pressure and pain felt by the QB.

QB pressures, hurries, hits are nice.
Sacks are the measuring stick.
That's why it's the key stat they track, as pointed out by yourself. It's not done by accident.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Yards are the "measuring stick" for offenses and defenses and since the scoreboard reflects points, not yards that's wrong too. And IMO you focusing solely on sacks is wrong, as was pointed out in the Jolly thread.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with your train of thought here is that a sack is better than a pressure in 95% of cases because it results in a loss of yardage.
Sure sometimes a pressured pass will be picked off.... but a QB feels that pressure a lot more after he's felt the pain of a sack into the turf.

I don't know why people argue otherwise as you are.... some people want to defend Clay's stats last year and say he didn't have a down year because his pressures were up, even though his sacks were waaay down. How'd that work out?

When he's getting sacks, QB's are already feeling the pressure..... last year even though some claim his pressures were up, the opposing QBs obviously felt no pressure as he only had 6 sacks. 8 more would have been 55 more yardage lost, and pressure and pain felt by the QB.

QB pressures, hurries, hits are nice.
Sacks are the measuring stick.
That's why it's the key stat they track, as pointed out by yourself. It's not done by accident.

I never meant to say that sacks are not more important than hurries, because that is simply not true. But to ignore hurries as production in a defense I think is also wrong. Tell Howard Green his hurry in the superbowl wasn't an impact play. Bottom line is hurries can and will often factor into a poor throw, a hurried throw, or an unexpected check down. We don't need a sack machine on this defense, we have that already. We need a disruptive force close to the line and I don't think ones "disruptiveness" is measured solely in sacks produced.

CheeseHead87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can honestly think that he can get 8. He'll be in a lot of 1-1 scenarios.

I think a more significant statistic will be the combined sacks for the OLB's, not just Perry's.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tell Howard Green his hurry in the Super Bowl wasn't an impact play.
That play was huge, and Howard didn't and hasn't gotten enough credit for it. I said it that night, and still today. I love Collins to death, but he shouldn't have gotten 99% of the credit for that play. Big Howard forced that errant throw which resulted in a lot more than a sack.

With Worthy, Daniels, Harrove, and hopefully a healthy Mike Neal and Philip Merling, we should see a lot more of those interior pocket-collapsing this season, freeing Matthews and Agent P up from the outsides.

Surely, pressures can be better than sacks as seen on that play.
But I have seen us get pressure before and the damn QB still get the throw off and hit a wide-open receiver for a key 1st down conversion on 3rd & long. See the early part of the Giants loss in the playoffs.

I have never seen a QB get sacked and still complete the pass for a 1st down. Sacks are the benchmark for OLBs in 3-4 schemes.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say 4-5 but I'm low balling it. I wouldn't be surprised so see him get up to 9 and have a Clay-like breakout rookie season and make a run for DPOV. My expectations of him are high to say the least.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Ivo, thxjack.... the votes are free. Click & click, that's all it takes.
Let's try this again: I....don't....care.

IMO sacks are overrated. According to your post sacks are more important than Green's pressure 95% of the time. That's absurd IMO. BTW, where did that 95% stat come from? (That's a rhetorical question so no need to answer: I think I know where it came from and since this is a PG rated forum...)

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's try this again: I....don't....care.

IMO sacks are overrated. According to your post sacks are more important than Green's pressure 95% of the time. That's absurd IMO. BTW, where did that 95% stat come from? (That's a rhetorical question so no need to answer: I think I know where it came from and since this is a PG rated forum...)
Who led the league in pressures last year?
How many career pressures did Reggie have?
How many sacks did he have in Super Bowl XXXI?

Everyone agrees pressures are important too, but sacks are the barometer, like it or not. They just are. In addition to the glory, and the statistics, league leaders, etc. many "sack-artists" have clauses in their contracts that pay them bonus $ for numbers of sacks.

Why fight it TJV?
You don't have to fight the system TJV! ;)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
... sacks are the barometer, like it or not.
As I posted, the same could be said for using yards to rank offenses and defenses and IMO that's obviously wrong too. Using sacks exclusively to measure the production or contribution of DL (particularly in a 3-4 or 2-4) is foolishly shallow and short-sighted IMO. (Check the most recent thread on Jolly for a more in-depth discussion.) Check your barometer, if the reading doesn't say "Think for yourself!", buy one that does.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
USA Today had their panel pick division winners, SB winners, MVP, and other things in today's sports section. I noticed that one of the guys picked Nick Perry to win Rookie of the Year. It is the USA Today but it was still cool to see some love from the national media

Members online

Latest posts