How is it that Capers still has a job with the Green Bay Packers?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I highly doubt the Packers wouldn't address his tackling technique during all of training camp. He probably got by with it in college and will need some time to change his habit.
Yes, I need to be more patient and perhaps need an attitude adjustment towards Dix. I'm not a big fan at this time.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, I need to be more patient and perhaps need an attitude adjustment towards Dix. I'm not a big fan at this time.

Clinton-Dix is capable of playing single high safety allowing Capers to play Burnett close to the LOS to support the run. His coverage skills have drastically improved a position which was absolutely terrible for several seasons after Nick Collins was lost to a career-ending injury. His tackling has been an issue though.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Breakdown of the run defense. http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/baranczyk /2015/09/14/packers-defense-run/72253000/

Most interesting line from the article, "But the tape also shows the problems mainly were individual errors, and not a shortcoming of the scheme or defensive play calling."

Looked like player mistakes to me too.
I like barancyk's articles. But it's 4 years of it now. It's possible it's more than just the players. Good coaches wouldn't allow such sloppy play, would they? Especially year after year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not when it's year after year, imo.

While the Packers were only ranked 20th in tackling efficiency in the league last season a lot of posters here act as if the team is the only one having issues with it. The new CBA makes it awfully tough to practice fundamentals intensively.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the Packers were only ranked 20th in tackling efficiency in the league last season a lot of posters here act as if the team is the only one having issues with it. The new CBA makes it awfully tough to practice fundamentals intensively.
well, I guess 19 teams do it better than we do. We're a top offensive football team with a middle of the road defensive team. If you put the blame on the collection of players we've had over the last 4 years, it will take another several years to replace them. Maybe it's the coaching, maybe not. It's an unknown unless it changes. Rodgers is not getting any younger.

D

Deleted member 6794

well, I guess 19 teams do it better than we do. We're a top offensive football team with a middle of the road defensive team. If you put the blame on the collection of players we've had over the last 4 years, it will take another several years to replace them. Maybe it's the coaching, maybe not. It's an unknown unless it changes. Rodgers is not getting any younger.

IMO Thompson is the one responsible for the lack of talent on the defense. While he has been marvelous at drafting offensive talent he hasn´t been close as efficient on the other side of the ball. A change at defensive coordinator wouldn´t result in the improvements many are looking for.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep in mind that year after year the Packers are among the youngest teams in the NFL. Perhaps that has something to do with tackling? I mean, you can teach tackling fundamentals all you want but it's not one offseason of work to improve a guy's tackling. Veteran players are naturally going to be better tacklers; more time to practice it and the fact that poor tacklers won't last long. However, this year's Packers team is the third youngest in the NFL. The defense is fielding Hayward, three years in but one of those years was a waste, a rookie corner, a second year safety, a second year ILB and third year DE in Jones (this is when the team is at full strength).

According to PFF the Packers missed seven tackles against the Bears. Two by Clinton-Dix, two by Shields and one each by Jayrone Elliott, Nick Perry and Hayward. It's also worth pointing out that Clinton-Dix and Shields lead the team (along with Matthews) with six tackles (again, PFF numbers). I'm not going to get to bent out of shape when a couple second year players have a few missed tackles in a game where the front seven was doing a terrible job of stopping the run and forcing secondary players to tackle running backs.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not going to get to bent out of shape when a couple second year players have a few missed tackles in a game where the front seven was doing a terrible job of stopping the run and forcing secondary players to tackle running backs.

The defensive line did actually quite a good job defending the run as the Bears weren´t able to run over the middle. The linebackers and secondary was mostly to blame for the poor rushing defense.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A change at defensive coordinator wouldn´t result in the improvements many are looking for.
How can you be so sure? I acknowledge your football expertise, and admit my relative football ignorance, but disagree with your opinion on this topic.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People think that firing a coach is a magic wand and its just not that simple. Especially when you're talking about a Coordinator.

Our issue is up front on D. We have failed to draft well up front outside of Clay and Daniels. Our ILB situation is extremely suspect. We don't have a NT who can consistently blow the run up. We have failed at drafting along the front 7. We are a quasi 3-4 defense and it seems to me that we don't consistently draft 3-4 personnel up front. This is on TT, not Dom Capers. Capers is having to deal with the cards that he is dealt.

A new Defensive Coordinator isn't going to come in and make certain players play better. This is on the players themselves, not Capers.

I question whether or not some of our players up front would even make other rosters.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I realize the D did some good things: It held Cutler to a 50% completion rate and less than 70 QB rating (which Capers emphasizes), and held them to 5.6 yards per pass. It also had a goal line stand, was victimized by Shields on STS after holding the Bears to a FG attempt in the red zone and Matthews got a big INT. However, they struggled getting off the field as the Bears converted 11 of 17 third down attempts (65%) and were 2 of 3 on fourth down. They had 189 net yards rushing for a 5.7 ypc average. While I understand reacting to a question about firing Capers as an over-reaction, how one comes to the conclusion that was a “masterful performance” by Capers seems like an over-reaction in the other direction. What should we expect if Capers just has a “good performance”? 220 net rushing yards?

... replaying Lombardi's "grab, grab, grab" over and over in my head...
Unfortunately grabbing and holding on would be a huge improvement for HHCD. They missed Burnett vs. the run but he has to do a much better job tackling. And he has to do a better job of disguising blitzes and coming up to the LOS. It probably wouldn’t have mattered vs. the old Cutler, but the new Cutler actually looks over the D pre-snap and changes the plays. And as probably mentioned here previously - and by McGinn in his 'rating' column - he really needs to take an extra step before attempting a tackle.

I do blame individual players for their mistakes but it looked to me like the Bears exploited the edges far too often in the run game, particularly in the first half. On every play it is the responsibility of a player on each edge to force the RB inside. If that fails to happen occasionally that’s one thing. When it happens repeatedly it’s a scheme problem or a player who needs to be replaced – at least temporarily for instruction.

Tackling is an individual responsibility but if season after season goes by in which a team is inconsistent – at best – tackling that’s more than just a coincidence of acquiring bad tacklers IMO. That’s on the staff and the head of that staff, Capers.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defensive line did actually quite a good job defending the run as the Bears weren´t able to run over the middle. The linebackers and secondary was mostly to blame for the poor rushing defense.

Then blame it on the linebackers but I can't think of many defensive schemes that are built around the idea of their corners leading the team in tackles.

Godgers12XLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mind Dom at all, I love his defensive scheme actually... IMO it comes down to the talent. it was no coincidence that we go from Cullen Jenkins, Nick Collins, and DPOY Woodson to an aging Woodson, CJ Wilson, jerron mcmillian, and md jennings and suddenly our D goes down the toilet.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, folks- and again and again- it's can't get off blocks, can't tackle, blown assignments. Same thing, different year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Vrill, post: 623384, member: 5566:]

I question whether or not some of our players up front would even make other rosters.[/QUOTE]
CJ Wilson, Guy, Pickett, Wynn played for other teams after leaving the Packers.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have two things against Dom. One is that he ever uses the 3 man rush (and if there is 3 and a spy; then the spy should rush sooner than later (not just stand there watching). And two is that he seems very slow to make adjustments (if at all). As evidenced by other teams doing the same play over and over in a game. Kapernick and the bears running to our right last week.

D

Deleted member 6794

As evidenced by other teams doing the same play over and over in a game. Kapernick and the bears running to our right last week.

The Bears ran a total of 12 times out of 33 attempts to our right side.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
No they didn't but that was not in question.
Agreed, Vrill questioned "whether or not some of our players up front would even make other rosters?". He didn't ask if "most" or "all" could even make other rosters, just "some" and PikeBadger answered with facts.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears ran a total of 12 times out of 33 attempts to our right side.
Can you also tell me how many yards they got going each way? They seemed to almost always have a big hole on that side. Or are you saying they ran equally well wherever they ran?

D

Deleted member 6794

Can you also tell me how many yards they got going each way? They seemed to almost always have a big hole on that side. Or are you saying they ran equally well wherever they ran?

The Bears gained 48 yards on 12 carries (4.0 average) running to their left side, 49 yards on 9 rushes (5.4) to the right and 65 yards on 9 runs (7.2) over the middle.

Members online