How is it that Capers still has a job with the Green Bay Packers?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overreaction much? lol

Nah, I just call it as it is. Where are the stars outside of Peppers and Matthews? You pleased with the performance yesterday or in recent years? So the overreacting would be...?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guess the Packers, Seahawks and the Colts aren't that good. On the plus side Buffalo must be SB bound after week one
Where did I say the team wasn't any good? A simple statement about their performance yesterday, and an observation that the overall talent level on defense isn't very good.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
TJV...you're losing it now. You shouldn't have let me get under your skin.
I was just having some fun :)D) but your reply is hilarious. Your posting about median scoring averages and not understanding the simple concept of sharing blame was about the time you lost it. It's harmful to your health to be so obsessed about Capers; you should see someone about it.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guess the Packers, Seahawks and the Colts aren't that good. On the plus side Buffalo must be SB bound after week one

Except for the Pack having won, you're correct. After next week, there might be some changes.

H

HardRightEdge

They aren´t allowed to practice in pads during the season a ton because of the CBA.
I believe it's 1 padded practice per week for the first 12 weeks, then 3 in the final 5 weeks. While it goes some ways in limiting injuries, the place where I think it creates the most problems is when guys at other than the so-called skill position players come back after an extended injury absence. There's little opportunity to get into contact shape, which is as much mental as physical. You see a lot of guys in the league coming off injuries who look a little loggy their first week back.

H

HardRightEdge

I was just having some fun :)D) but your reply is hilarious. Your posting about median scoring averages and not understanding the simple concept of sharing blame was about the time you lost it. It's harmful to your health to be so obsessed about Capers; you should see someone about it.
Nice backtrack. My health is outstanding, but thanks for asking.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah, I just call it as it is. Where are the stars outside of Peppers and Matthews? You pleased with the performance yesterday or in recent years? So the overreacting would be...?
Hey, I'll play along. I tried, but outside of the two mentioned (Matthews/Peppers), who on the D side intimdates/concerns/requires game-planning (fill in your own definition of worthwhile) from the opponents?

Its the same ole song and dance every year. One bad game and folks call for Capers head and say our D stinks. We actually turned out to be pretty decent toward the end of last year and we lost nobody on D besides Williams and House. We'll be fine again. For whatever reason, our D historically starts off slow and settles in nicely as the season goes along. I don't get why nobody here has figured that out yet. You watch the games like I do.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone see the Cardinal game? Those guys know how to gang tackle. And they did not have any more pad practice than anyone else.

D

Deleted member 6794

We actually turned out to be pretty decent toward the end of last year and we lost nobody on D besides Williams and House. We'll be fine again. For whatever reason, our D historically starts off slow and settles in nicely as the season goes along. I don't get why nobody here has figured that out yet. You watch the games like I do.

Most likely the competition we played in the second half of last season had a lot to do with the improvement on defense. The Packers faced five teams ranked 24th or worse in total rushing during that period and no 1,000 yard rusher over the last six games.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its the same ole song and dance every year. One bad game and folks call for Capers head and say our D stinks. We actually turned out to be pretty decent toward the end of last year and we lost nobody on D besides Williams and House. We'll be fine again. For whatever reason, our D historically starts off slow and settles in nicely as the season goes along. I don't get why nobody here has figured that out yet. You watch the games like I do.

Well, heck, apparently nobody explained it to the rest of us watching the games. For four years, I kept thinking I saw defensive schemes and defensive players that meant making nail-biters out of what should have been gimme games, allowing 'who dat' players to eat us up, replaying Lombardi's "grab, grab, grab" over and over in my head, holding my breath on every third and long, et. al. Thankfully, I now know it was really a stalwart defense, and I should have been appreciating it much more. On to the Super Bowl!

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought our defense played extremely well in Seattle in the NFCCG. Our defense didn't lose us that game. Special teams did and Rodgers not being Rodgers due to his limping injury.

But I guess our D was garbage then too :)

P

proudsoftballdad

I don't belive DC had a bad game at all if you watch this game again the defense was well placed and prepared to stop the run however Don is getting a little old in the tooth to tackle for the packers also he's not responsible for all the pre-snap penalties that's on the players ,now with that said I think it was more lack of preseason work and 1st game nerves and the players should clean that up rather quickly. But I thought has far as the game plan DC was head on .

D

Deleted member 6794

I thought our defense played extremely well in Seattle in the NFCCG. Our defense didn't lose us that game. Special teams did and Rodgers not being Rodgers due to his limping injury.

But I guess our D was garbage then too :)

The defense played exceptionally well for 55 minutes but completely fell apart afterwards. For most of the past four years the unit has been mediocre at best.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if our D plays that well in every game, we rarely lose. I'd take those 55 minutes every single week and if our offense performs and our Special teams are just average we'll be blowing everyone out of the ****ing water. Games will be over by the middle of the 2nd quarter.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense played exceptionally well for 55 minutes but completely fell apart afterwards..

This usually happens when the offense isn't helping you much and continually getting 3 and outs. Sooner or later, the dam will break. Our D was fine. Rodgers not being 100% and our special teams sucking did us in in that game.

Fazeman

Setting The Pace
Reaction score
I believe that Capers puts together excellent packages for his players. Of course, it's up to the players to not only execute his schemes, but more importantly, maintain them for 60 minutes. As others have said, it's tough to accomplish that goal when there are more three and outs than usual.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carl from Queensbury, NY

At what point do we come to terms with a need for a different defensive coordinator?

Yours is the first question I saw when I opened my inbox today. I had to push back from my desk and gather myself. After I did, I felt sorry for you that you could so totally miss the mark on your analysis of and lack of appreciation for what happened at Soldier Field on Sunday. What you witnessed was a masterful performance by a defensive coordinator that was without two of his starting defensive linemen and his best run-defending safety. Also, his true, run-stuffing middle linebacker re-injured his ankle early in the game. Against a Bears team determined to run the ball with one of the best backs in the league, and compounding matters by forcing the Packers into nickel by spreading the field with three and four-wide receiver sets, Dom Capers found a way to hold the Bears to 16 points (the other seven were scored after the fact). I’m sorry you missed the game.

Read more: http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...572-8ba1-4d20-8c5d-bd011689aa72#ixzz3llNw89lY

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m sorry you missed the game.
Sorry I missed it as well. I guess it was all the missed tackles that blinded me. But I appreciate your optimism, and hope it turns out to be the case with this year's defense.

P

proudsoftballdad

That's not on the DC maybe the position coach ,but missed tackles are on the players.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="captainWIMM, post: 623052, member: 6794]
They aren´t allowed to practice in pads during the season a ton because of the CBA.[/QUOTE]

yes, which is why maybe Thompson needs to put a greater value on players that are good tacklers during the scouting process. There is not much that can be done in this regard after they are in the league. Even training camp is much softer than it used to be.

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, very often leaves his feet too early. Hasn't changed a bit since last year so it's clear he wasn't taught anything different in training camp or, he's a lousy student.

I highly doubt the Packers wouldn't address his tackling technique during all of training camp. He probably got by with it in college and will need some time to change his habit.

D

Deleted member 6794

This usually happens when the offense isn't helping you much and continually getting 3 and outs. Sooner or later, the dam will break. Our D was fine. Rodgers not being 100% and our special teams sucking did us in in that game.

All three units are to blame for the loss in the NFCCG. The defensive breakdown in the last five minutes shouldn´t be ignored either.

I believe that Capers puts together excellent packages for his players. Of course, it's up to the players to not only execute his schemes, but more importantly, maintain them for 60 minutes.

It´s the defensive coordinator´s job to make proper adjustments during a game which the players have to execute. As an outsider it´s nearly impossible to evaluate which adjustments have been made though.

Sorry I missed it as well. I guess it was all the missed tackles that blinded me.

It´s ridiculous to blame the defensive coordinator for missed tackles by individual players.