How is it that Capers still has a job with the Green Bay Packers?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't seem like a coincidence this was posted right after a poor performance. How does a preseaon game matter at all when it comes to his job status?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably because it's all we have, right now. Since we can't talk about real games until Sept 13th, please advise what we can discuss at this time.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair topics to discuss:

- Your new Packers clothing
- Game plan for beer consumption during the 2015 season
- New gameday appetizer menu
- Ways in which your spouse will strive to make this your most relaxing season of football watching
- Horse and buggy improvement options (that's for Amish...)
- How many days prior to- and post-game you will avoid shaving to encourage victory
- Frustration mitigation plans
- What vacation you are delaying in order to watch the Super Bowl

Uncle Rico

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been skeptical of Capers' performance/strategies in the past, and often times more critical than I probably should have been, but this is a knee jerk thread.

The Packers use the preseason largely as a time for experimenting and evaluating players and schemes, as it should be. I saw it the other night too, our #1 D getting sliced up. But, at least I sincerely hope, we game planned to get the best look at different players and schemes, not to beat the Eagles. Better to expose weaknesses in August.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Raji & Daniels were manhandled by the Philly line. Players were getting fooled by picks that resulted in TDs, penalties, etc.

This debacle wasn't due to play calling, especially in a preseason game. This was the players needing to pull their heads out of their collective azzes.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This was the players needing to pull their heads out of their collective azzes.
In related news McCarthy has hired a special assistant, Dr. Smile Andbendover a local proctologist. Every player who appeared on the field against the Eagles’ offense has an appointment with the doctor.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL..... I see that panic and angst has set in early this year. I must say, I wasn't expecting this until at least the 2nd quarter of the Bears game.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously, I'll not be free of panic and angst until the gun goes off at the end of the Super Bowl, with the Pack leading. However, the levels will subside a bit if they ever demonstrate there's a reason for opponents to be concerned about facing the Packers' defense or special teams.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because it's been four years going on five of below average production, not just one preseason game. Even Mike Daniels knows they suck.

https://instagram.com/p/6_Yavwrq1A/

Actually, they were 13th in points per game last season, not below average. Even if it was 4 years in a row, it still wouldn't make sense to evaluate his job status based on a preseason game.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's encouraging to come back and heAr the defense and special teams still suck haha. For the fourth yr in a row the offense will have to be perfect...hopefully Janis can be the deep threat Jordy was and we score 30 a game.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's encouraging to come back and heAr the defense and special teams still suck haha. For the fourth yr in a row the offense will have to be perfect...hopefully Janis can be the deep threat Jordy was and we score 30 a game.
You might want to adjust that 30 upwards by at least 10. :whistling:

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stats or not. There's so many things that don't show up on stats that from watching games you can see that this defense has not been good the past few years.

Reaction score
It was a sloppy game, no arguments here. But let's be honest here...Once we have our 1st team Offense in Scoring 30+ points a game and our D has a few games to make adjustments I think we'll see a dramatic change in the overall outcome. I will say that Dom had a tendency to play too far off receivers when we're blitzing. When sending extra QB pressure.. our CBs gotta start utilizing more physicality in the initial 5 yards to slow receivers down in conjunction with trusting our Safties for help over top. That's my biggest complaint right now. I never saw so many opposing receiver routes run unabated deep into our territory or the Enzone.

Last edited:

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't anyone remember that last year, WHEN IT MATTERED we held them to 20 points in a blowout? The players were half assing it and they hadn't schemed for the weird offense. The end.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I'm not Capers biggest fan he has done a good job when he has had TALENT to work with. Capers can only do so much when he has Medicare talent. No coach can make a silk purse out of a siw'a ear.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is the excerpt from a jsonline article and what I posted at the end of January regarding retaining (or not) Capers:
In Capers' six seasons, the Packers rank fourth in take-aways (182), seventh in points allowed (20.9), 11th in yards allowed (343.4), 12th in passing yards allowed (231.2) and 14th in rushing yards allowed (112.2). In 10 playoff games under Capers, the Packers have 19 take-aways while allowing averages of 26.3 points and 378.4 yards, including 138.8 rushing and 239.6 passing.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...st-in-slowing-down-b99427040z1-288903691.html

I posted: Those are pretty impressive numbers for the regular season - all top half on average; not so much for the playoffs. As we all know, after a bad start, the D showed dramatic improvement after the bye. We don’t know how much input McCarthy had on Capers implementing the 4-3 at the start of the season or how much he had to do with moving Clay inside and inserting Barrington. Obviously McCarthy is well aware how much he had to do with both of those decisions and I hope he weighs that carefully.

I'll bet those stats and knowing more about what goes on at 1265 than we do went into McCarthy's decision to retain Capers and that's why Capers still has a job. As has been mentioned in other discussions on this topic, one disconnect IMO is Capers' systems requiring the knowledge of experienced vets and Thompson's MO of keeping the team young. Unfortunately there's more to it as I think Capers at times has been slow to react to what's going on in-game and Thompson has struggled getting him the talent he needs. That means there's no easy fix. But one thing is damn near certain: Capers isn't going to be fired until after this season, if then. So this topic is moot.

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
Honestly I have lost faith in Capers, I feel like he has had plenty of talent to work with these past few years and we just can't seem to get anything to work, we have our good games yes but more often than not it seems to me like the secondary is getting torched, either by the deep ball or the short methodical game, to me it seems like Capers has a problem adjusting the game plan on the fly in the heat of the moment.
although we haven't had much talent up front to put pressure on the quarterback so they have had a lot of time to throw the ball in order to make our secondary look like a bunch of high schoolers, at the end of the day though you are the defensive coordinator so talent or not it falls on your shoulders to call the right plays to make those players shine and I feel like he hasn't done that since the super bowl win.
if we have another poor defense this season maybe it's time to make a change.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I have lost faith in Capers, I feel like he has had plenty of talent to work with these past few years and we just can't seem to get anything to work, we have our good games yes but more often than not it seems to me like the secondary is getting torched, either by the deep ball or the short methodical game, to me it seems like Capers has a problem adjusting the game plan on the fly in the heat of the moment.
although we haven't had much talent up front to put pressure on the quarterback so they have had a lot of time to throw the ball in order to make our secondary look like a bunch of high schoolers, at the end of the day though you are the defensive coordinator so talent or not it falls on your shoulders to call the right plays to make those players shine and I feel like he hasn't done that since the super bowl win.
if we have another poor defense this season maybe it's time to make a change.

So they've both had plenty of talent and not enough talent at the same time?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For about the last half of the season and the 2 playoffs games, the defense was good, except for a half and 3 minutes. In those 3 minutes, there were massive player mistakes, not bad calls.

Those last 3 minutes somehow make people forget about the rest of the 2nd half of the season, including the Dallas game.

It was very good for most of Dallas and Seattle. They also ended up 13th in points per game. I'm excited for what this defense can do since not a lot was lost.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts