How is it that Capers still has a job with the Green Bay Packers?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously, what can he do when 8 in the box doesn't stop the run?
That's a good question. It could be a good scheme that all the players in the last 4 years are physically or mentally unable to carry out. It could be a bad scheme that the players are playing as designed. Or it could be part of both. Regardless, it isn't working at a level a Championship team needs.
the players are well paid professionals and today they failed
"today" should be replaced by "for the last 4 years"

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Game has passed Capers by hymmmm? And who was it that decided let's try Clay Matthews in the middle? Who has to work his way around key injuries every year it seems and we still make it to the playoffs?

It's more the special teams that need the help.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers obviously gave input to special teams in the second quarter and told Shields to jump offsides, thereby giving the Bears a first down at the three yard line. Why would he do that you ask? Because he wanted his defense back on the field to show how good they were!

By the same token, at the end of the second quarter, Clinton Dix has a perfect shot on Cutler to force a punt and instead gets juked by Cutler. Obviously another example of poor coaching on how to properly tackle an amazingly mobile quarterback like Cutler.

Never mind that the Packers entered the game minus two of their best three dlinemen (what that says about the quality of the dline is frightening), that the Packers lost their best inside linebacker during the game (luckily a position of strength!) and that they started the game minus their best safety (fortunately the Packers have a lot of veteran experience in that secondary).

Or maybe Capers knew that the Packers could win the game giving up rushing yards to Forte so that he could give help to his rookie corner without his best safety in the game. Green Bay held Cutler to a 50% completion rate and 225 yards. Not to mention Capers probably thought he could give help to Randall and trust Shields to go at it alone....didn't really work out that way though.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
No one is following your argument anymore.
And now you're speaking for everyone else. :roflmao:

BTW, I know there's one poster happy with the Packers defensive effort yesterday because they perfectly matched their 2015 season average median points allowed.

On a serious note, here's a video that was posted here a while ago about tackling techniques. Try to ignore where the information is coming from. IMO the packers would benefit by teaching these techniques.
http://smartfootball.com/defense/pe...for-head-injury#sthash.hSncwTvy.QoJMv45r.dpbs

Last edited:

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I go back and forth on Capers. The only unforgivable sins in my book have been his 3-man rushes and his penchant for playing soft once the O goes up by more than 1 score.

But watching Forte run through huge holes during the first half yesterday, one of my friends brought up the question of whether Nick Perry or Datone Jones was the bigger 1st round disappointment and another pointed out that 2nd rounder Mike Neal is not much but is still better than fellow 2nd rounder Jerrel Worthy.

Again, I don't know if the failure of these guys to make an impact on the front 7 (I guess you could add the Raji of the last several years to the mix) is due to a lack of talent, a lack of development, a poor scheme or all of the above, but there is no debating that several of the Pack's recent high draft picks on the front 7 are just guys.

Thank God for Clay (and Julius P) who make up for a lot of mediocrity elsewhere in the front 7.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time to face facts. They're just not very good or talented, outside of Peppers and Matthews. Gonna need to score a lot of points this season.

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
awful penalties are not Capers fault, though I think they need a change. Sheilds was not earning his contract yesterday. Too many stupid penalties and blown coverage. The run defense was pretty bad yesterday despite having Raji back. Forte just kills the Packers. It will be interesting to see how they fare next week against the Seahawks. I hope they are in revenge mode and can put Seattle at 0-2.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were particularly bad on our right side on run defense in 2014. Our d line ranked 28th at R end; 30th at R tackle in 2014(DVOA). Forte killed us going to his left yesterday. It's difficult to claim overreaction when a situation keeps repeating itself.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overreaction much? lol

Hey, I'll play along. I tried, but outside of the two mentioned (Matthews/Peppers), who on the D side intimdates/concerns/requires game-planning (fill in your own definition of worthwhile) from the opponents?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sure liked the way Randall played. Loved the fact that he looks back for the ball when he is supposed to even if he can't see it. It stops a lot of pass interference calls.

H

HardRightEdge

And now you're speaking for everyone else. :roflmao:

BTW, I know there's one poster happy with the Packers defensive effort yesterday because they perfectly matched their 2015 season average median points allowed.

On a serious note, here's a video that was posted here a while ago about tackling techniques. Try to ignore where the information is coming from. IMO the packers would benefit by teaching these techniques.
http://smartfootball.com/defense/pe...for-head-injury#sthash.hSncwTvy.QoJMv45r.dpbs
I've now been through the replay.

I have often commented, more times than I care to count, that this is often a poor tackling defense that needs pursuit and second effort to get the job done. McCarthy carps about it in the press, after which it improves for a time, and then relapses. So what's your point?

It's a bit ironic that my final straw with Capers was the 7 quarter stretch last season without forcing a punt, which included the Bears game. The replay bore out what I suspected from the play-by-play...this effort was out of the same mold as last season's Bears game where zero punts were forced. This time it was one punt. The resemblance is further noted in the silver lining...stiffening is the shorter field , a key turnover.

So what revelation do you think you are affording me now that I did not already afford you nearly a year ago, and many times since?

As for Carrol's shoulder-to-thigh technique, that's hardly a revelation. The Packers do a lot of ankle biting as in this game...then they improve for a while...then they regress. Leroy Butler made the point succinctly this past week, specifically with respect to Dix, that he needs to take one more step then strike as opposed to one less step and then diving.

D

Deleted member 6794

Forte just kills the Packers.

Forte has averaged 72.7 yards rushing per game and scored five TDs during his career in 15 games vs. the Packers. The Bears have won three of those, hardly what I call killing the Packers.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's a bit ironic that my final straw with Capers was the 7 quarter stretch last season without forcing a punt, which included the Bears game. The replay bore out what I suspected from the play-by-play...this effort was out of the same mold as last season's Bears game where zero punts were forced. This time it was one punt. The resemblance is further noted in the silver lining...stiffening is the shorter field , a key turnover.

Forcing a punt isn't the only way for a defense to get a stop. Last year they intercepted Cutler twice at Soldier Field, got a stop with time running out at halftime and forced three fumbles (while not recovering one).

Yesterday they got two turnovers (one by downs) and only allowed one TD when it mattered after Shields' penalty extended their drive (which I'm sire is somehow Capers fault).

Don't get me wrong, I'm concerned about the run defense as well but you blaming Capers only for everything going wrong us getting tiring.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
So what revelation do you think you are affording me now that I did not already afford you nearly a year ago, and many times since?
Everything isn't about you, HRE. This is like your complaining I referred to you in third person - that's appropriate because there are others on this board. You may find this hard to believe but I'm not always just responding to you.

"On a serious note..." was a clue I was done chiding you. There are newcomers on this board who weren’t around when the Seahawk video was last linked. And BTW, while "Carrol's shoulder-to-thigh technique" is "hardly a revelation" it is to far too many Packers.

H

HardRightEdge

Guess what? The Packers finished the game today by recovering the onside kick.
That's worth exploring.

Let's say the Packers did not recover that on-side kick. The Bears would have had the ball at midfield, 34 seconds on the clock, one timeout, down by 8. And lets say they scored a TD against those long odds. Then lets say Dix misplayed the 2-point conversion sending the game into overtime. And then lets say in the first possession of overtime Cutler moved the ball 50 yards, including 35 on a blown coverage, and then dropped a 35 yard dime on Jeffery for the winning score.

What then?

H

HardRightEdge

Forcing a punt isn't the only way for a defense to get a stop. Last year they intercepted Cutler twice at Soldier Field, got a stop with time running out at halftime and forced three fumbles (while not recovering one).

Yesterday they got two turnovers (one by downs) and only allowed one TD when it mattered after Shields' penalty extended their drive (which I'm sire is somehow Capers fault).

Don't get me wrong, I'm concerned about the run defense as well but you blaming Capers only for everything going wrong us getting tiring.
I'm well aware of these facts. Did you not understand my "silver lining" comment? Giving ground and getting backed up into a short field all day is simply not a reliable path to consistent winning.

You guys keep saying I blame Capers for "everything", whereas my posts lo these many long days (going on years) provide copious evidence to the contrary. However, there needs to be accountability. You want to blame the players, but who's making them accountable?

I look forward to improvement for some spells. Improvements followed by backsliding has been the pattern. We'll see where it goes.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time to face facts. They're just not very good or talented, outside of Peppers and Matthews. Gonna need to score a lot of points this season.

Guess the Packers, Seahawks and the Colts aren't that good. On the plus side Buffalo must be SB bound after week one

H

HardRightEdge

Guess the Packers, Seahawks and the Colts aren't that good. On the plus side Buffalo must be SB bound after week one.
Buffalo played one heck of a football game. When they didn't have Luck pressured, they had him flummoxed anyway for the better part of that game, and then when Indy looked like they might make a run, Buffalo stiffened. And they get Darius back next week. T-Mobile, as the locals have dubbed Tyrod Taylor, has a Russel Wilson-light look about him.

Ryan has them energized, and his "player friendly" approach won't likely go into it's half-life until at least year 2 if history is any indication.

You should at least keep them in the conversation.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buffalo played one heck of a football game. When they didn't have Luck pressured, they had him flummoxed anyway for the better part of that game, and then when Indy looked like they might make a run, Buffalo stiffened. And they get Darius back next week. T-Mobile, as the locals have dubbed Tyrod Taylor, has a Russel Wilson-light look about him.

Ryan has them energized, and his "player friendly" approach won't likely go into it's half-life until at least year 2 if history is any indication.

You should at least keep them in the conversation.

No doubt Buffalo is a good team. Just saying alot of really really good teams struggled

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Go back to posting about median scoring averages, HRE. That was some fascinating (and stupid) ****! :D

Members online

Latest posts