how does this roster compare to other recent years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I said before camp it was the best 90 man roster ever assembled by TT and a lot of people disagreed with me.

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis damn well better make the roster. He will not make waivers to be put on the practice squad. I agree Lyerla is a long shot, if you preclude IR or practice squad. They damn well better do one of the two. Sean Richardson and Chris Banjo should also be higher than on the fence.

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said before camp it was the best 90 man roster ever assembled by TT and a lot of people disagreed with me.
That is a tough call. Our offensive line and running backs are vastly improved over 2010. But I am not sure we have the same caliber of receivers. We sorely miss Nick Collins, and I think the defensive line will not be improved to what it was in 2010. The cornerback situation is actually very interesting. I can see an argument that our cornerbacks will be better than this year with Sam Shields, Davan House (what a play against the Rams) and Casey Hayward.

D

Deleted member 6794

Still disagree with you, the offense will be great but no way this defense is as good as the ones we had in 2009 and 2010.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Still disagree with you, the offense will be great but no way this defense is as good as the ones we had in 2009 and 2010.

Well this defense will be better against the run then the 2010 defense and that was your big concern. I think it's time you waive the white flag on us not having good enough linebackers because we got more then we can keep. Safety play will improve as the season moves on and it won't have to be "Nick Collins" level as our pass rush will be better or at least comparable to 2010. We have DE's that can get after the QB better and a stable of linebackers that can get after the QB.

This offense is going to be the best Packer offense of all time and maybe the best in the history of the NFL. Rodgers has matured into a "master" at his position and is peaking. The running game is "dominant". The offensive line is the most underrated right now in the league IMO. I don't know how much deeper at receiver we could be. We might not have a top tier TE but we don't need one. The offense is entering the "unstoppable" arena.

If this team stay's healthy and avoids injuries to key players it's a Super Bowl championship caliber team.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well this defense will be better against the run then the 2010 defense and that was your big concern. I think it's time you waive the white flag on us not having good enough linebackers because we got more then we can keep. Safety play will improve as the season moves on and it won't have to be "Nick Collins" level as our pass rush will be better or at least comparable to 2010. We have DE's that can get after the QB better and a stable of linebackers that can get after the QB.

This offense is going to be the best Packer offense of all time and maybe the best in the history of the NFL. Rodgers has matured into a "master" at his position and is peaking. The running game is "dominant". The offensive line is the most underrated right now in the league IMO. I don't know how much deeper at receiver we could be. We might not have a top tier TE but we don't need one. The offense is entering the "unstoppable" arena.

If this team stay's healthy and avoids injuries to key players it's a Super Bowl championship caliber team.

Running game will help out the d too.

Leather&Lacy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherrod's poor performance yesterday and O-Line depth is a cause for concern.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think there's any reason for me to waive the white flag on any of my concerns after two preseason games.

I agree that we're a top 4 team in the NFC and if we get hot at the right time we could end up playing in the Super Bowl.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I'm more worried about the dline, than the lbers. Secondary might actually be a strength.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't think there's any reason for me to waive the white flag on any of my concerns after two preseason games.

I agree that we're a top 4 team in the NFC and if we get hot at the right time we could end up playing in the Super Bowl.

You can hold onto the white flag for later but there is definitely reason for legitimate optimism. I am not a huge pre-season guy either but if you look at the film of our defense this pre-season so far compared to previous pre-seasons there is a HUGE difference. It's not even close.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
You can hold onto the white flag for later but there is definitely reason for legitimate optimism. I am not a huge pre-season guy either but if you look at the film of our defense this pre-season so far compared to previous pre-seasons there is a HUGE difference. It's not even close.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'd be surprised if the packers didn't have one of the best records in the nfl. The schedule is very manageable and Rodgers is at the top of his game. They are still going to have problems with physical teams so all bets are off in the playoffs depending on the postseason matchups.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Personally I'm more worried about the dline, than the lbers. Secondary might actually be a strength.

Once again it's pre-season but Fischer came out and said after game and acknowledged how stout we are up front and the "constant penetration" we presented. This is from a coach that plays a lot of games against teams that supply plenty of penetration up front.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree there's reason for optimism but as long as the defense doesn't prove it in the regular season I won't get too excited.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
My guess is this roster will be better on offense but worse on defense than the 2010 team. Lest we forget as IMO brandon2348 has, the 2010 D was damned good: They ranked higher than the Packers’ offense that season finishing 2nd in points allowed (15 per game – ½ yard behind the Steelers) and 5th in the less important yards allowed. They were 2nd in INTs and tied for 2nd in sacks. One can write “we hope” this season’s pass rush will be better or comparable to the 2010 D, but the best thing you can say about that statement is it is extremely premature. The 2010 D set a very high bar. It had a dynamic BJ Raji (as opposed to the current version), Cullen Jenkins, Matthews having his most productive sack season to date and he started 15 games that season, Charles Woodson who in addition to providing great playmaking ability had perhaps his best season as a team leader, Nick Collins the last great playmaking safety playing his last full season, Tramon having his best INT season to date, and an undrafted rookie who emerged as the nickel back in Shields. If this season’s D even comes close to that one, this season will be all kinds of fun.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
My guess is this roster will be better on offense but worse on defense than the 2010 team. Lest we forget as IMO brandon2348 has, the 2010 D was damned good: They ranked higher than the Packers’ offense that season finishing 2nd in points allowed (15 per game – ½ yard behind the Steelers) and 5th in the less important yards allowed. They were 2nd in INTs and tied for 2nd in sacks. One can write “we hope” this season’s pass rush will be better or comparable to the 2010 D, but the best thing you can say about that statement is it is extremely premature. The 2010 D set a very high bar. It had a dynamic BJ Raji (as opposed to the current version), Cullen Jenkins, Matthews having his most productive sack season to date and he started 15 games that season, Charles Woodson who in addition to providing great playmaking ability had perhaps his best season as a team leader, Nick Collins the last great playmaking safety playing his last full season, Tramon having his best INT season to date, and an undrafted rookie who emerged as the nickel back in Shields. If this season’s D even comes close to that one, this season will be all kinds of fun.

Raji is killing it. He is blowing up the point of attack and I have total faith Raji is back. Don't get me wrong. Nick Collins and Charles Woodson are two of my favorite Packers of All time and are royalty. I am not putting anyone in our secondary with those guys. But lets not put Frank Zombo on Julius Peppers level either. This defense is stacked at LB with all different types of skill sets. I think overall were deeper in the secondary. IMO it will scheme and attack differently then 2010 and play to our current strengths. I agree with you the one thing it will need to do is force more turnovers. I think this is something that needs to be revisited down the road.

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Be careful about 2009. They had good stats but that was largely smoke and mirrors. Every premiere quarterback they faced torched them: the traitorous sonofa***** in purple, Roethlisberger, Carson Palmer, and Kurt Warner. The glowing stats that year were largely a product of a cupcake schedule.
We will see how the defense fairs. I don't see how the defensive line could be better than 2010. Julius Peppers is another wildcard.
I do believe the offense will be incredibly dynamic. Finally we have what appears to be a solid offensive line at every position. Eddie Lacy's value is not just that he gets defense out of cover two, but his bruising running style and sheer size and bulk wear down the defensive line, degrading their pass rush.
Problem is unworldly offenses all too often make a killing in the regular season but fall apart short of a Super Bowl. We saw it with the Broncos (and will see it again). We saw it in 2011, although that is attributed in part to Philbin's son doing something stupid to get him killed and that they rested Rodgers against the Lions. A lot of Marino's Dolphins teams, the 1998 Vikings, so and so forth.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think everyone is forgetting that this is a different league. It is getting very difficult for any defense to get off the field consistently. If we can get off the field a few times a game and get some turnovers well be fine. I like this 2014 defense as it has more overall speed then previous years and the ability to play fast.

We have the unique ability to pound it out with teams or we can also win a track meet with our offense which only helps our defense.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'd like nothing better than this defense outperforming the 2010 D. But that's a very tall order.
Raji is killing it. He is blowing up the point of attack and I have total faith Raji is back.
I hope this is true, but I really don’t know what you are basing this on.

Not putting anyone on the current D with Woodson and Collins’ was a very important point. The current secondary may be deeper but there’s not a playmaker to compare with Woodson and Collins is head and shoulders above the current safeties. IMO Zombo doesn’t make this team but he, and midseason acquisition Walden combined for 7 sacks and 2 FF during the 2010 regular season and 2 sacks in postseason. That’s not great but that’s ‘not noth’n’ either. The Packers are deep at OLB but how many can they play at one time? And how do you like the starters and depth at ILB? We've been hearing and reading about the difference in schemes this season - certainly the DL will be less bulky - but I'm sure we haven't seen all they have in mind or how effective it will be when the real bullets fly. I’m sure we’ll revisit this during and after the season and again, I hope this D surpasses the 2010 version.

D

Deleted member 6794

Raji is killing it. He is blowing up the point of attack and I have total faith Raji is back. Don't get me wrong. Nick Collins and Charles Woodson are two of my favorite Packers of All time and are royalty. I am not putting anyone in our secondary with those guys. But lets not put Frank Zombo on Julius Peppers level either. This defense is stacked at LB with all different types of skill sets. I think overall were deeper in the secondary. IMO it will scheme and attack differently then 2010 and play to our current strengths. I agree with you the one thing it will need to do is force more turnovers. I think this is something that needs to be revisited down the road.

That is only true at OLB but not for the inside linebackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts