Head Coaching Candidates

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
skibum55 said:
PackwillBEback said:
I personally would only want on college coach, Bob Stoops from Oklahoma. He knows how to run a great offense that can do a lot of things and keeps the Defense on its heels.

I think also Ron Rivera the DC in Chicago, Mike Singletary the LB Coach in Baltimore, and of course Jim Bates.

Those four would be my top canidates.

How about this scenario...Barry Alvarez steps down as AD of the Badgers, and takes over as HC of the Pack!!

I like that Barry is a damn fine coach, and he has fire

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My advise to TT would be to be careful of retreads. If you're going to hire someone who has already been a head coach, hire someone who has had success. Mariucci won at San Francisco and was liked by the players and fans. Ownership had a problem with him.

I'm more in favor of finding a hot commodity who has been a coordinator for awhile who is hungry, organized, emphasizes teaching, and won't put up with mistakes time and again, and again, and again. The problem with Sherman is that there never seemed to be any consequences for mistakes. Which coordinator? I'm not sure.

bman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
I know Ferentz his a hot name, but how about winning a Big Ten title first?

Whre ahve you been?

Iowa won (shared) Big Ten titles in 2002 and 2004.
In 2002 Iowa was undefeated in The Big Ten.
Have you not noticed who has beaten the Badgers 4 years in a row as well?.

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think everyone is overlooking the obvoius choice here....

Mike Tice!

Just kidding. But the guy is unemployed. Hey maybe he can scalp us all some tickets.

Sorry, but I just had to stir the pot with this one.

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First you can't even talk about coordinator jobs until a head coach is brought in. The head coach will hire his DC and OC and the rest of the supporting staff.

Second, if TT brings in a guy from the defensive side of the ball Bates would be gone for sure. This guy will want to install his own defensive system not the one Bates uses.

Third even if a guy from the offensive side of the ball is brought in the chance of the current defensive coaches retaining their jobs are not good.

Fourth Bates is a possibility for HC but just because you are a good DC does not mean you will be a good Head coach. Ex: Buddy Ryan, great DC horrible HC.

Fifth, you can bet every coach on the Packers called their agent and started polishing up the old resume as soon as they heard Sherman was fired. They would be stupid not to. If other teams get a HC in place before the Packers do guys like Bates and Beightol will at least have a shot at a job with another team, quickly.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JbShell said:
I will throw Barry Alvarez out there turned a doormat Wisconsin Program to respectability. Childress he is ok but never really did much for me when he was with the Badgers.

I think GB needs a QB friendly staff. A HC with Fire and intesity. I would look for Bates to be back and I am sure he is in the running for the DC job at least. I think Edgar should be back would like to see Leroy Butler as a DB coach. Other than that I dont know. I do look for a coach and staff to be hired within the next month to get stuff square for the combine and draft. Also look for Sherman to land feet up in another HC job probaly KC.

Actually it's extremely likely that Bennet and Butler won't get a chance with the new coaching staff. The new HC will want to bring in his guys.

I think Sherman will end up in Houston, but he will be one of the top prospects for many teams.

Staff online

Latest posts