1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Head Coaching Candidates

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by HatestheEagles084, Jan 2, 2006.

1. HatestheEagles084

HatestheEagles084 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Just throw around some names of people that might take over for Mike Sherman (this could be expanded to 'Head Coaching' AND 'offensive coordinator' candidates):

Kirk Ferentz, Iowa HC
    Brad Childress, Philadlephia Eagles OC
    Jim Johnson, Philadelphia Eagles DC
    Jim Fassell, Baltimore Ravens OC
    Mike Martz, Ex-Rams HC
    Steve Mariucci, Ex-Lions HC
    Cam Cammeron, San Diego Chargers OC
    Jim Bates, Current Packer DC

I talked about Brad Childress thru the season, he'd be good...Kirk Ferentz runs a nice offense at Iowa, built that program from nothing, I'd like to see him work with Rodgers...Jim Fassell runs a tight ship and I would love to see the experience/intensity he would bring to this team

others?

2. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Brad Childress? I didn't follow the Eagles too closely this year, but I remember hearing that they were passing up to 77% of the time while McNabb was there and certainly had some questionable calls that cost them some games.

He was not very popular while in Madison since he had a very vanilla offense.

3. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I know Ferentz his a hot name, but how about winning a Big Ten title first?

4. Hammer

Hammer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Bates, if we can hire Tim Lewis as DC. Can teams interview for lateral jobs?

Hammer

5. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    hey how bout the great leroy butler as DC.

6. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    umm, since he has NO coaching experience, I'd say that's very unlikely

7. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I like Pete Carroll and Charlie Weiss, but Weiss would only be tricked into coming if he got a hell of a big contract.

8. smlutz

smlutz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    ND has a huge buyout for Weis.

9. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    that's what I'm saying.

But the rumours has it Detroit Lions are interested in him, with the huge money bag of the Fords they might fullfill that wish...

10. HatestheEagles084

Ratings:
    +1
    Andy Reid called the majority of the plays...Brad Childress established the system which turned McNabb into a solid pocket passer

A name that isn't getting a lot of attention is San Diego's Cam Cameron...they have a pretty solid offense and acclimated Drew Brees very nicely

11. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    What do we really know about Kirk Ferentz?

He seems to have a little fire at least..

[​IMG]

12. JbShell

JbShell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I will throw Barry Alvarez out there turned a doormat Wisconsin Program to respectability. Childress he is ok but never really did much for me when he was with the Badgers.

I think GB needs a QB friendly staff. A HC with Fire and intesity. I would look for Bates to be back and I am sure he is in the running for the DC job at least. I think Edgar should be back would like to see Leroy Butler as a DB coach. Other than that I dont know. I do look for a coach and staff to be hired within the next month to get stuff square for the combine and draft. Also look for Sherman to land feet up in another HC job probaly KC.

13. 2002 OLY packfan

2002 OLY packfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The DC from the Skins. They talked him up pretty good. I forget his name.

14. tkpckfan

tkpckfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    greg williams

15. tkpckfan

tkpckfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    omg greg williams/Bates that would be awesome to outstanding defensive coaches. only question is how good the offense would be

16. shanks2122

shanks2122 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i dont think tt wants to go with a college coach he seems to conservative for that i think he trys to bring in some one that already knows about the NFL maybe like Kubiak(denvers DC) but i think Jim Bates is our guy tt already has him and dosent have to pursue very hard he seems to be laid back and goes for the obvious choice thats sitting right in front of him (rodgers)

17. Hammer

Hammer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Kubiak is a DC? He's probably an off. coach because he was a QB. I like the idea of him as OC though, he has been talked about as a head coach for some years now. Bates, Tim Lewis, Kubiak? I'm sure there are holes in my proposition, just a thought.
    Hammer

18. mattresell

mattresell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i'm going on record saying that I think the next head coach should be Bates. I felt all along that he was brought in to be DC for a year and then take over Sherman's job. I hope I'm right. I would assume he would bring in a former assistant of his from Miami to run our defense. That seems to be the trend b/c those guys already know his system.

I'm clueless as to who the OC will be, but he can't be worse than Rossley. I think the big names, Childress, Cameron, Linnehan, and Kubiak would only leave for a HC job. I also hear Oakland is intersted in Martz.

I would expect the OC to be a former offensive assistant or pulled from the college ranks, a la Norm Chow.

19. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Yes they can. Someone from or to the Titans did it last season.

20. HatestheEagles084

Ratings:
    +1
    Jim Haslett is a new addition to the coaching market, fired by NO today...

The Ain'ts are one of the poorest ran organizations in the league, Haslett even got them their only playoff win in...ever, possibly promote Bates and hire Haslett as DC, I like Haslett very much, the guy has some fire

Offensive Coordinator...Gary Kubiak is an interesting name, as is Cam Cameron

21. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    interesting choices, Javon, those would be nice.

PS - change your signature, because DePack has lost his mind. If its compliments ur after for your sig, heres one: You are a smart, sexy beast. there.

22. packer4ever

packer4ever Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Kirk Ferentz would be a great addition to the Packers, he can make something out of nothing and I think would be a good fit in Green Bay. Oh by the way Kirk Ferentz won a big ten title a couple of years of ago when they went to the orange bowl and got beat by USC. It doesn't matter he's still the best coach in college football. KIRK FERENTZ FOR HEAD COACH IN GREEN BAY.

23. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    wow..i've never heard praise for Jim Haslett before. i think the man is complete garbage as a coach. of course he gets a pass this season with the uprooting of the team and virtually no home games, but they've been underachieving for years under his command. the Saints owner is a complete *** himself and im sure it has a direct impact on a coaches room to work with. Haslett as a DC? maybe...since his run at head coach is pretty much kaput.

24. PackwillBEback

PackwillBEback Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +40
    I personally would only want on college coach, Bob Stoops from Oklahoma. He knows how to run a great offense that can do a lot of things and keeps the Defense on its heels.

I think also Ron Rivera the DC in Chicago, Mike Singletary the LB Coach in Baltimore, and of course Jim Bates.

Those four would be my top canidates.

25. skibum55

skibum55 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    How about this scenario...Barry Alvarez steps down as AD of the Badgers, and takes over as HC of the Pack!!