Head Coach interviews thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve done exactly 5 minutes of research and I have made my choice.

Dan Campbell. Smart, tough, TE coach (and assistant HC) for the saints, who also played TE for parcels. Straight up. No drama. Will earn the respect of players, IMO.

Of course there’s not a chance in hell Murphy will hire him. But he’s the one I want.

I'd prefer him if Lafleur isn't the choice. But I don't think either of them are getting the job unfortunately.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Belichick probably deserves most of the credit for it though.

Why? He manages the defensive side no? From my understanding McDaniels calls the offensive plays, and being that successful with some pretty poor QB's is impressive, especially considering what we've seen out of McCarthy when Rodgers isn't on the field.

NorwegianPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Seattle v Dallas game is the perfect example of why I want a stud offensive, creative playcaller as our next HC instead of a player's coach or a motivational dude, or a defensive HC who will then have to scramble for great assistants. You could instead end up getting Schottenheimer as your OC and turn this into an even bigger shitshow.

It's easier to find better defensive coordinators than actual, creative offensive coordinators given every team on the planet is trying to find the next McVay and poaching all the decent OCs.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Seattle v Dallas game is the perfect example of why I want a stud offensive, creative playcaller as our next HC instead of a player's coach or a motivational dude, or a defensive HC who will then have to scramble for great assistants. You could instead end up getting Schottenheimer as your OC and turn this into an even bigger shitshow.

It's easier to find better defensive coordinators than actual, creative offensive coordinators, which is why so many teams are hiring them as their HCs instead.

Yeah, who wants Pete Carroll??

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Pete Carroll hiring Schottenheimer probably cost them an extended playoff run despite their great defense he assembled.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Passing up a Pete Carroll for a Jason Garrett simply because the latter fits some sort of preconceived mold would be highly stupid. Hire the best man for the job.

D

Deleted member 6794

Why? He manages the defensive side no? From my understanding McDaniels calls the offensive plays, and being that successful with some pretty poor QB's is impressive, especially considering what we've seen out of McCarthy when Rodgers isn't on the field.

There's no doubt Belichick is the mastermind behind the Patriots success. Just take a look at how most of his disciples have fared without him, McDaniels included.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt Belichick is the mastermind behind the Patriots success. Just take a look at how most of his disciples have fared without him, McDaniels included.
Exactly, BB is the man making that machine go. McD may have had a couple times with lesser QB's to work with, but it's not like the offense just rolled on. The team did, the offense didn't. Outside of Jimmy G, but then he has proven to be a decent QB before injury. I remember a game they played against the Texans a couple years ago, I swear the QB did absolutely nothing, and neither did the offense really. Their defense gave them great field position and held the Texans to pretty much nothing all day. They had 2,3 big runs and a handful of completed passes that day, and won anyway. BB is the man putting that all together.

coachal89

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what I'm looking for in the new HC, and does any of them fit this mold:

1. FIRE RON ZOOK

2. Leader of Men - Command the room

3. Respected by his past players - Would they come play for the guy if they were free agents.

4. Coaching Staff - Who is he wanting to bring in, is he the OC or DC. Will he require the OC or DC to be on the field?!

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

To me, too many fans are buying into McD because he's become a household name brand, and done so from riding the Brady Bellichek train.

There is no evidence at all that he can take UDFA or low drafts talent and turn it into star power.

Bottom line, you can stick a monkey out there to call plays for Bellichek and Brady and the offense wouldn't miss a beat. McDaniels has not done anything close to being a genius by being the clipboard holder.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

None of his coordinators do a damn thing without getting their marching orders from him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Due to Mike McCarthy being the HC for long time, I never paid much attention to "coaching trees". But I have been reading more about them lately. The Trees I would be shaking are Walsh and Parcels and the big one under the Walsh tree is the Mike Holmegren tree. Seems like his 2 best "saplings", Andy Reid and Jon Gruden are the next trees to jump to.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/1...lsh-bill-parcells-coaching-trees-49ers-giants

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/sports/nfl-coaching-trees-connecting-every-active-coach/

Last edited:

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Seattle getting knocked out last night, I think Green Bay should go after Darrell Bevell for HC. He was on GB staff during the Favre era. Has clearly had success in Seattle. Able to transition scheme according to personnel. Would revive the run game. Plus, imagine working with a better O-Line in GB than Seattle ever had. I would be interested in Bevell for Green Bay's next HC.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
With Seattle getting knocked out last night, I think Green Bay should go after Darrell Bevell for HC. He was on GB staff during the Favre era. Has clearly had success in Seattle. Able to transition scheme according to personnel. Would revive the run game. Plus, imagine working with a better O-Line in GB than Seattle ever had. I would be interested in Bevell for Green Bay's next HC.

Ummm

He was gone from Seattle Jan of last year.. And wasn't hired by anyone..

He isn't HC material

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
@Dantés I’m thinking John Harbaugh might be on the table tomorrow especially if they get shut out the remainder of this game.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I think he is more of an OC, i dont think he has the "it" to be a HC.. Dont forget, he called the play in the SB that was intercepted at the goal line-while that took some balls, it still was a horrible call

Status
Not open for further replies.