Has Ted Thompson gone off course?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm honestly not sure how you can say TT has done a great job, other than the homer-angle.

I have seen a Sporting News breakdown of the past 3 drafts, and posted this USA Today one which ranks all the GMs who have conducted 3-5 drafts for their team, and they rank TT #12 overall. Now that's unbiased, and that's up to this point.

#12 is not "great". It's better than average, or good. Not great.

Again, TT's team in over a half-decade has one single playoff game win. One. That's not great. That's average.
In 5 full seasons, there are 60 playoff births, and 32 teams. We have a win. The Jets and Rex Ryan picked up 2 last season, with a brand new QB and brand new coach.

The Vikings came within a whisker of a Super Bowl birth with a brand new QB, and anchored by a bunch of guys who they never drafted, from Pro Bowler's Jared Allen to Steve Hutchinson to Antoine Winfield to PHat Williams.

So honestly, are you under the belief that, as you stated, TT has done a great job?
That's great to you? To me, it's pretty good.
What is a Super Bowl birth? A Super Bowl win? Two Super Bowl wins (all over 5 years?) I would reserve "great" or "fantastic" for something along those lines.

And yes, I lived thru the horrible 70's and 80's for the Packers. That's Lions/Clippers type horrible. But I loved Lofton & Jefferson!

Can you give the link to this sporting news breakdown? Wasnt that the same paper that gave Ted executive of the year in 2007?

USA one

Ranking the decision makers: Who is best at the NFL draft? - USATODAY.com

In that he is ranked better then Jerry Jones AND Rick Spielman from the Viks

I tend to agree with your take on the entire thing even though YOU might not think that...

Slight differences I have than yours

A free agent is a free agent ;) no matter where they were drafted

Ted got a pass for the 1st year from me for sure because of the screwed up salary cap (please dont argue with me on that, its my opinion and I will stick to it) Maybe even the 1st two years

I think 2008 WAS not indicative of the team...08 was a fluke if you ask me..07 and 09 is the type of team we can expect from Ted

I HATE his handling of our O-L Change the view they have on the O-L and I think this team would be a lot better

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A) Can you give the link to this sporting news breakdown? Wasnt that the same paper that gave Ted executive of the year in 2007?

B) I tend to agree with your take on the entire thing even though YOU might not think that... Slight differences I have than yours

C) A free agent is a free agent ;) no matter where they were drafted

D) Ted got a pass for the 1st year from me for sure because of the screwed up salary cap (please dont argue with me on that, its my opinion and I will stick to it) Maybe even the 1st two years

E) I think 2008 WAS not indicative of the team...08 was a fluke if you ask me..07 and 09 is the type of team we can expect from Ted

F) I HATE his handling of our O-L Change the view they have on the O-L and I think this team would be a lot better

A) I don't have a link because it was one of my magazines from the Sporting News I get every other week.

B) I'm glad we agree.

C) That's fine, we agree. But my point is the ADDITION OF PLAYERS period. Not players we are retaining, but players we are getting from other teams.

D) I definitely agree with the first year pass as Sherman's GMing had this salary cap into hell, deep, and TT didn't have any chance in hell, even with Favre of 5 years ago and a 5-years younger Driver and Kampman.

E) Agree, but it was mostly because of a terrible defensive coordinator and special teams. Both guys were fired.

F) I have been very critical of the "White Wall" OL philosophy, but I am now happier as I think we're solid from LT to RT and have a little depth, plus I like adding the brother Marshall Newhouse, add a little diversity on the OL finally :eek:)

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't get why you insist on making the distinction between free agents we retain vs. free agents we pick up from someone else. A free agent is a free agent, regardless of whether you choose to resign your own or get them from another team.

If anything, common sense would tell me that free agents we retain are a bit better as they are a known fit with our team and our system. While there are exceptions to every rule, there's no guarantee free agents from other teams will be a good fit and perform the same way with our team and our system.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers getting valuable free agents is just not something I see possible, we got Woodson for real cheap in my opinion. Ryan Grant, cheap at first, but still not that expensive for a starting top 15 back in this league. Al Harris, inexpensive, but been a bit disappointing lately, Brandon Chilliar, super cheap! Ryan Picket, fair salary, but got a big raise this year...My point is we got these guys on some really good circumstances and they have become an integral part of our defense and performed. The last super huge free agent we picked up that was a BIG NAME was Reggie White...Our small market would never risk putting up a big contract on a big name free agent unless they can see the future and know he will produce..Packers will just not take that risk...I go into every season fully expecting the Packers to not pick up anybody popular, but signing guys off practice squads or rookie free agents....just the way it is...we are not the Bears or the Vikings....but we'll still kick their *** this year

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's part of the reason why:
Reggie White, Brett Favre, Keith Jackson, Santana Dotson, Sean Jones, Gilbert Brown (That's our whole DL from the Super Bowl teams), Eugene Robinson, Don Beebe.... do you realize that we drafted NONE of those guys?

When you have a good team, sometimes adding a hungry veteran, or a talented but unproven youngster (Al Harris, Ryan Grant) can get a team over the top.

A lot of Packer fans are over-confident based on our offensive firepower. But the fact is we have not accomplished crap in the overall scheme of things.

Someone just said we'll still kick the Vikings and Bears ***** this year. Well guess what, the reality is the Vikings have beaten us 3 straight times, and we got lucky to beat the Bears last year in Green Bay, and they have added siginifcant talent with Julius Peppers and the offensive coordinator.

I sense some serious over-confidence here. Remember we were the fashionable pick last year coming outta preseason too. Until I see our special teams proven to be upgraded somehow, and the pass defense, I will not let my hopes get sky high, because it is painful expecting the moon and getting Siberia.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We got lucky with players like Woodson and Pickett but today more often than not teams don't let their good players hit the market. Good players are tagged or resigned before they become FAs and thus are unavailable to other teams hoping to improve their rosters from FA without morgaging the future.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
.we are not the Bears or the Vikings....but we'll still kick their *** this year

i mean get wins, and I will always expect us to beat our divisional opponents because we straight up should be able to beat them...yea it's biased, because I'm a fan!

Members online

Latest posts