green package gets hosed

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
something my brother said on another forum

No matter what game on the schedule is chosen 4 the retirement of jersey #4 people will not be happy. The Green Pkg holders will say why the Gold Pkg? The Gold Pkg holders will say why the Green? And some of that reasoning will be I've supported the Packers a very long time and I deserve to be at that game and some of it will be generated mainly by profit. By both groups.

Ticket holders will see $$ signs 4 whichever game it is and whatever Pkg it is in. Look on eBay now and see the true fans. The ones selling tickets and season ticket packages. Complete Green & Gold Packages are 4 sale. The supply of tickets does not meet the demand so prices will continue to be high.

What all the season ticket holders need to do is be happy that they can get tickets.

If you are looking 4 tickets to a game Good Luck in your search and hopefully one can get them at face value, win them or get them free.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I replied to Vandenmusse's article. It really struck a nerve.

Here is what I wrote.

Mike,

Please, quite the whining. As a Gold package ticket holder, it has been clear to me that the Milwaukee ticket holders have been getting the shaft for years. Finally, as luck would have it, we get a couple of prime games. Every year we get at least one if not two dog games. And that is either 50% or 100% of the year for us! Not to mention that most of the time, we get the second of the home preseason games which usually is the fourth preseason game and you know how much the starters remain in those games. Play-offs?, we get the scraps after the Green Bay fans decide whether or not they want to go. We stepped up to the plate come license time a few years ago, plus pay the same amount per ticket knowing (based on odds) we usually get the inferior games.

Add on the extra money we pour in to the Green Bay economy because of having to travel to the games (and stay overnight) and I think we deserve to be thrown a bone or two once in a while.

P.S. First time I have really been disappointed in your opinions.

Best Regards,

tripp

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
something my brother said on another forum

No matter what game on the schedule is chosen 4 the retirement of jersey #4 people will not be happy. The Green Pkg holders will say why the Gold Pkg? The Gold Pkg holders will say why the Green? And some of that reasoning will be I've supported the Packers a very long time and I deserve to be at that game and some of it will be generated mainly by profit. By both groups.

Ticket holders will see $$ signs 4 whichever game it is and whatever Pkg it is in. Look on eBay now and see the true fans. The ones selling tickets and season ticket packages. Complete Green & Gold Packages are 4 sale. The supply of tickets does not meet the demand so prices will continue to be high.

What all the season ticket holders need to do is be happy that they can get tickets.

If you are looking 4 tickets to a game Good Luck in your search and hopefully one can get them at face value, win them or get them free.

Longtime,

I somewhat disagree with your brother's comments.
It seems to me that most of the gold ticketholders realize that the green package gets the better games and gets the better promos. If for no other reason than they have more games that they can attend. It seems that the green ticketholders are a little quicker to complain. I think they feel that is their birthright to get all of the best games. I am sure there will be some of the gold package people wondering why they did not get Brett's retirement game. (You can hardly get 7 people to agree on an issue so there is no way to get 70,000 people to agree.) The length of time that someone supports a team is not or at least should not be an issue. Both packages have long time ticketholders and both packages have relatively short time ticketholders. Anyone who thinks b/c they have followed the team for 20-30-40 years merits them special consideration is wrong. They got value for their support over all those years otherwise they would have moved on. (This is true for for most sports teams except the Cubs and their fans.)
The majority of tickets that are being sold thru ticket brokers or on Ebay are elderly ticketholders. They use the extra money to supplement their income. Tickets are a commodity just like anything else. I can't say I fault them for doing so. Perhaps I will do the same when I get to their age. Keep in mind that the ticketholders who sell their tickets to unknown people run the risk of losing the ability to own season tickets if the person who has purchased them is unruly.

If the Packers want to stop the sale of tickets thru brokers or on Ebay they can do so. It is not that hard to determine which tickets are sold to the public and are sold this way year after year. They can put a rule in place that would prohibit this from happening. The Packers could stop the practice of passing season tickets from one heir to the next. Or they can at least tighten up on who would receive the tickets. Neither of my children want my tickets but perhaps some day my grandchildren would. I think I can even pass them on to my brothers or even my cousins if I so desired.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I replied to Vandenmusse's article. It really struck a nerve.

Here is what I wrote.

Mike,

Please, quite the whining. As a Gold package ticket holder, it has been clear to me that the Milwaukee ticket holders have been getting the shaft for years. Finally, as luck would have it, we get a couple of prime games. Every year we get at least one if not two dog games. And that is either 50% or 100% of the year for us! Not to mention that most of the time, we get the second of the home preseason games which usually is the fourth preseason game and you know how much the starters remain in those games. Play-offs?, we get the scraps after the Green Bay fans decide whether or not they want to go. We stepped up to the plate come license time a few years ago, plus pay the same amount per ticket knowing (based on odds) we usually get the inferior games.

Add on the extra money we pour in to the Green Bay economy because of having to travel to the games (and stay overnight) and I think we deserve to be thrown a bone or two once in a while.

P.S. First time I have really been disappointed in your opinions.

Best Regards,

tripp

Well said Tripp. I was reading the comments posted on both the GB and Milwaukee paper's websites. It is interesting to see that there is a lot more wailing and nashing of teeth on the Press-Gazzette's site than on the Journal's site.

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is my take on the whole thing...

Let's examine this for a minute, in terms of what game to retire Brett's number. Game one is on national TV on ESPN on Monday night. The Green Package (Green Bay) people have tickets. However, that is also Aaron Rodgers first EVER game as starting QB. I posted a story earlier about this very subject...

Packer Report.com

Favre's number retirement should wait

By Bob Fox
[email protected]
Posted Apr 3, 2008

Why are the Packers in rush to retire quarterback's No. 4? Holding a ceremony on opening night a mistake, says PackerReport.com's Bob Fox

The Green Bay Packers learned from the NFL this week that they will be opening the 2008 season on Monday Night Football at home against the Minnesota Vikings. The Aaron Rodgers era will officially begin that night. There is also some speculation that the Packers will perhaps retire Brett Favre's jersey number that night. I hope they don't.

Now don't get me wrong. Favre deserves his number retired in Green Bay. Even during the 2008 season. But NOT on opening night. Not the night that Rodgers is going to start his first regular season game as a Green Bay quarterback. That night, Rodgers deserves the focus and the attention. Brett will have his day, or night, to remember all the 16 seasons of glory that he gave to the Green Bay organization.

But opener is about the players. Especially the post-Favre Packers. The team needs to try and build an identity without Favre. It won't be easy. Favre was not only the face of the Packers, but to many, he was the face of the NFL. But Rodgers and the Packers need to build their own future. And day one is a big beginning.

This is what the team had to say about the possibility of Favre having his number retired that Monday night.

"Certainly, it would be attractive," team President Mark Murphy said. "But I want to see the full schedule before really making a decision like that. And obviously Brett's going to be involved in that decision. We'll make sure it's a date that works for him."

Favre should know how Rodgers feels. Certainly Don Majkowski was no Brett Favre in the total scheme of things for the Packer organization in terms of success and folklore, and the NFL in terms of records, but the "Magic Man" was VERY popular in Green Bay when Favre arrived in 1992. Favre set up his era with an electrifying finish to a rather mediocre performance up to that point in a game against the Cincinnati Bengals on September 20, 1992 at Lambeau Field, after a Majkowski ankle injury.

Favre took the Packers almost the length of the field (92 yards) with 1:07 on the clock, and then he put an exclamation point on the drive with a 35 yard TD pass to Kitrick Taylor with just 13 seconds left in a 24-23 win. The Don Majkowski era was over. And the incredible Brett Favre era was just beginning. Favre would start his first game at Lambeau the next week against the Steelers. An era that would last 16 years and have 253 consecutive starts (275, including the playoffs).

Another reason Favre should not have his number retired that night is because of Favre himself. If there is ever going to be a point where his decision to retire would eat at him, it would be opening game for the Packers in 2008. The Packers should retire Favre's number in 2008, just not that night.

There will be other opportunities. How about at home against the Chicago Bears? Or the Dallas Cowboys? Or the Indianapolis Colts and Peyton Manning? Perhaps the game can be the same week as alumni weekend when almost all of the former Packer greats will be on hand.

Favre just needs to get away from football and Green Bay for awhile. Favre and the family went to Disneyworld last week, but most of Favre's time is spent doing work at the massive Favre property near Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Certainly Favre will start getting the itch about playing again around training camp. The itch will really need to be scratched on opening night.

At his retirement announcement, Favre also had some advice for Aaron Rodgers, the man who will try to replace the legend. "I wish Aaron well," Favre said. "I think he'll do a great job. I think he has the talent." But Rodgers has to be his OWN man, just like Favre was. "I know everyone's made comments that, 'Boy, big shoes to fill,' " Favre said. "The only shoes he has to fill is himself. He doesn't need to play like Brett Favre. It's all about the cast around you, it's about the coaching staff. If you stay focused on the fact that it's not about you - they obviously drafted him because he has the talent, mental capabilities - he'll be fine. Hopefully one day he's sitting here where I am and able to experience what I've been able to experience."

For Rodgers to be his own man, to have the type of success Favre had, he will need to be a leader. That leadership will start on September 8th. I believe he needs to have his OWN moment that night. It is always tough replacing a legend. Imagine replacing a legend, with that legend right on the sideline, or in a luxury box at your very first game. Also think about how the legend...Brett Favre...will feel.

Let some time pass for a while. Let Rodgers become the player that Mike McCarthy envisions he can become. Let the Packers move on. Let Favre move on. It will not be easy. It wasn't easy when Dan Marino retired for the Miami Dolphins. It wasn't easy when John Elway retired for the Denver Broncos. But it will be a little easier if the Packers move that jersey retirement ceremony a little later in the season. for BOTH Rodgers and Favre.

I agree with the story. I just don't think it would be wise to retire the number for Brett on opening night, for both Brett and Aaron. The game against the Cowboys is also on national TV with John Madden and NBC on Sunday night. The game will also have all the great Packer alumni on hand as well. However, the game will be a Gold (Milwaukee) package game. But everything else is perfect for the ceremony to take place that night. Brett will get the national stage he so rightly deserves. All the other Packer greats will be on hand. Bottom line, I think the Cowboy game is the perfect scenario. What do you think? The Colt game is also a national game with the Green package folks on hand, but it is not the ONLY game on TV like the other two will be.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
wpr.

Point of my brothers post was almost what you said, so not really sure what you disagree with? his mention of Ebay was him being sarcastic, the TRUE FANS..

He is a gold ticket holder, but because of his disability he can not go any more. He does NOT sell his tickets there..He sells them to me, or other family members, or on Packers Partners Club of Champions..( speaking of which, I have to go kiss his *** now )

and you are right that not everyone will be happy ( something my brother said as well)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's true.............you can't please everyone.
And Trippster made some great points in his letter, in my view. Milwaukee helped keep the Packers going through the lean years. There's nothing wrong with them getting some "good" games now and then.

Me........i wouldn't complain if i got to see the Packers play ANY game, even if it's against a lesser team.

I don't know why all the nashing of teeth. No matter if you own the "gold" or "green and gold" tickets, you should be thankful you get to see games at Lambeau Field. There are millions of fans that never even get to see a game live.
JMO

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr.

Point of my brothers post was almost what you said, so not really sure what you disagree with? his mention of Ebay was him being sarcastic, the TRUE FANS..

He is a gold ticket holder, but because of his disability he can not go any more. He does NOT sell his tickets there..He sells them to me, or other family members, or on Packers Partners Club of Champions..( speaking of which, I have to go kiss his *** now )

and you are right that not everyone will be happy ( something my brother said as well)

It just seems to me that he is saying that it is a lot of fans that are going to be upset and I think it will be a small number. And most of them would be from the Green Package fans.
Also I suppose he was being sarcastic when he said true fans wouldn't sell their tickets but I didn't see that in his statement. So I apologize.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
wpr.

It just seems to me that he is saying that it is a lot of fans that are going to be upset and I think it will be a small number. And most of them would be from the Green Package fans.
Also I suppose he was being sarcastic when he said true fans wouldn't sell their tickets but I didn't see that in his statement. So I apologize.

no need to apologize!!

He is aying no matter who gets the game the other side will complain..

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have both sets of season tickets so it doesn't really phase me. :duck:

I agree with tripp though. Good reply man.

Aaronstory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the original poster may be over the top, he does have a point. Just because the Packers have done things one way for several years doesn't mean they HAVE to continue. The Packers reserve the right to change their policies at any time.

That said, I think Green Bay fans are getting hosed.

vegOmatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the original poster may be over the top, he does have a point. Just because the Packers have done things one way for several years doesn't mean they HAVE to continue. The Packers reserve the right to change their policies at any time.

That said, I think Green Bay fans are getting hosed.

The Gold Package gets 25% of the regular season games. That means they should "get" the bears game every 4 years. It's been around 10 years since the last time.

Have you looked up what the Gold Package has received over the last 10 years? 7 out of 10 years they got the Vikings or the Lions. That gets very old. The other regular season game would be a doormat. There have only been a few exceptions such as getting the Chargers and Patriots the last few years.

Give the Gold tickets the top two "marquee" games over the next 5 years and it still won't come close to evening things out.

Green package people have nothing to complain about. Those who do are crybabies.

Members online

Latest posts