Green an yellow report

Brendon12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only young

Keeping your draft picks on the bench early in their career sometimes is needed while other times it's needed to go "All In" on the pick and get them in early to produce wins.

Kenny Clark looks like a big addition to the line that will help pressure the opposing team an create problems in the NFC north.

I believe it's needed to let him grow as needed because of his age, yet after what was seen at ucla it'll be ok to let him play when needed because he played against high caliber teams in the pac 12.

Jason Spriggs from Indiana was a huge addition to the line who will provide Rodgers will more help up front week by week.

Like I said earlier Davis from Cal has the ability to be a steal should his return game turn into Devin Hester like. He won't get many looks with Nelson,Cobb,Janis, etc taken up the spots on the outside but should he show in camp his speed, along with good hands. The sky is the limit.

Which rookie Would you like to see the most? Who will surprise?

Captain cheddar

D

Deleted member 6794

Kenny Clark looks like a big addition to the line that will help pressure the opposing team an create problems in the NFC north.

I believe it's needed to let him grow as needed because of his age, yet after what was seen at ucla it'll be ok to let him play when needed because he played against high caliber teams in the pac 12.

Which rookie Would you like to see the most? Who will surprise?

With Pennel suspended the first four games and Daniels and Guion being the only proven veterans on the depth chart I fully expect Clark to start from week 1 on. Other him Martinez will probably get the most playing time out of this year's draft picks.

D

Deleted member 6794

We have plenty of good returners, in an age trying to stop kick returns.

While it's true that the league has implemented rules resulting in a decreased number of kickoff returns I wonder if putting the ball at the 25 yard line after a touchback starting this season will backfire though. It's possible teams will try to benefit from this change and force opponents to return way more shorter kicks.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While it's true that the league has implemented rules resulting in a decreased number of kickoff returns I wonder if putting the ball at the 25 yard line after a touchback starting this season will backfire though. It's possible teams will try to benefit from this change and force opponents to return way more shorter kicks.

I don't see the additional 5 yards really changing the mind set of the kicking team to alter their strategy much.

Sure, if they have confidence in their ST's coverage unit and a kicker that can put a lot more air under the ball and directionally kick it somewhere between the goal line and 5 yard line to give your special teams time to get down and cover it, then I can see it. But that is basically the same strategy used by teams prior to the rule change. Otherwise, if the opposing team has a decent return man......kick it as high and deep as possible and be fine with no further then the 25.

However, I do see the rule change altering the mindset of the receiving team. I don't think we will see as many balls returned with the new rule, especially if they are kicked high and deep enough to down in the end zone and take the sure spot at the 25.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... I don't think we will see as many balls returned with the new rule, especially if they are kicked high and deep enough to down in the end zone and take the sure spot at the 25.
Kickoffs are live balls so I high, short (inside the 10 yd line) kick might need to be fair-caught rather than allowed to hit/bounce into end zone for a touch back. Hang times over 4 seconds are achievable giving cover teams a decent shot at getting to a shorter kick. There may be a bit more strategy involved (on both sides) because of the tinkering with ball placements over the last few years.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Kickoffs are live balls so I high, short (inside the 10 yd line) kick might need to be fair-caught rather than allowed to hit/bounce into end zone for a touch back. Hang times over 4 seconds are achievable giving cover teams a decent shot at getting to a shorter kick. There may be a bit more strategy involved (on both sides) because of the tinkering with ball placements over the last few years.

I highly doubt we will see an increase in something we rarely see on kickoffs, that being the fair catch.

Think about it, the kicking team is still kicking from the 35, that hasn't changed since the 2012 season. So the kicking teams strategy most likely will not change. This change is designed to make the receiving team to be more inclined to down the ball in the end zone and take it on the 25, instead of risk bringing it out and being tackled short of the 25.

"...most teams will take the touchback if the ball is more than a couple yards into the end zone. Before, it was a coin flip, and now it’s just not worth the risk."

http://thebiglead.com/2016/03/23/the-math-on-how-new-nfl-kickoff-rule-will-affect-games/

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I don't see the additional 5 yards really changing the mind set of the kicking team to alter their strategy much.

However, I do see the rule change altering the mindset of the receiving team. I don't think we will see as many balls returned with the new rule, especially if they are kicked high and deep enough to down in the end zone and take the sure spot at the 25.

Last season the average starting field position after a kickoff was close to the 22 yard line (21.93). With football being a game of inches I expect the kicking team trying to force the opponent to return a kick more often.

I agree that less kicks will be returned out of the end zone next season though.

Perhaps with the top of the organization knowing this all was going to happen, could this be why we signed Crosby to such a contract? He has already stated he would like to alter his kickoffs, and even though a bit facetious, maybe more went into the talks than we know?

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...ff-touchback-solution-all-onside-all-the-time

It´s possible kickoff strategy factored into the Packers re-signing of Crosby. That doesn´t change the fact the team overpaid for him though.

Members online

Latest posts