PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/app ... ocated=RSS

Tuesday, August 26, 2008
McCarthy: Grant could start Thursday night
1:10 p.m.

After practice, Coach Mike McCarthy addressed a variety of topics:

* Ryan Grant will go with the first unit on Thursday night, depending on his health. McCarthy said Grant needs the reps.

* Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila didn’t practice today because his knee was sore and didn’t respond well to Monday’s practice. Mike Montgomery is suffering from groin injury and didn’t practice.

* The plan is to keep the best 53 players on the final roster, McCarthy said One of the deepest positions is at linebacker, where as many as seven players could be kept.

* In general terms, McCarthy said training camp practices were considered high quality in terms of the way the team practiced, the tempo and the energy that was termed “far better than the first two years.” However, some practices and scheduling was disjointed because of the preseason schedule that gave the Packers three short weeks in a row.

* The starting unit is likely to play one or two series on Thursday or about 10-12 plays.

* Longsnapper J.J. Jansen to this point has done a good job, but is still being assessed. It’s possible the Packers could look elsewhere if he doesn’t perform well Thursday night, McCarthy said.

12:01 p.m.

The last practice of 2008 training camp open to the public is over.

11: 32 a.m.

Quarterback Brian Brohm is having another rough outing at practice today. During a seven-on-seven drill, Brohm was intercepted by Will Blackmon on a pass intended for Jordy Nelson. Brohm also sailed a pass over the head of Tory Humphrey, who was open in the end zone. He also overthrew receiver Brett swain on a slant pass. This marked the second consecutive practice that Brohm has not looked good at all.

Several defensive highlights during seven-on-seven drills included cornerback Joe Porter knocking down a Matt Flynn pass intended for Johnny Quinn. Pat Lee almost picked off the deflected ball. Tramon Williams batted down a Brohm pass also intended for Quinn.

Donald Driver has dropped an inordinate number of passes during training camp and the trend continued today. Driver dropped a sideline pass from Flynn and preceded to kick the ball up in the air soccer style. That drew a penalty flag.

11:17 a.m.

The final practice of the year open to the public and held in perfect weather conditions is sparsely attended, which is in keeping with lower fan numbers throughout much of training camp.

No. 4 for Rodgers? Railbirds and media at the practice might think it’s jarring enough to see quarterback Aaron Rodgers run up as a safety during a walk-through portion of practice. But to see him wearing a No. 4 jersey over his regular No. 12 while doing so is both humorous and ironic.

Several players during training camp have worn a blue No. 4 shell when they’ve changed position or moved to the other side of the ball during walk-throughs (i.e. an offensive player playing defense).

Chewing out: Special teams coach Mike Stock could be heard loudly chewing out members of his special teams unit this morning.

10:40 a.m.

Eleven players are not participating in final public practice of 2008 training camp. The only mild surprises on the list are end Kabeer Gbaja Biamilia, who returned last week from missing time with knee injury and defensive end Michael Montgomery.

Also out are: cornerback Charles Woodson, linebacker A.J. Hawk, safety Atari Bigby, safety Charlie Peprah, center Scott Wells, guard Josh Sitton, receiver James Jones, defensive tackle Ryan Pickett and cornerback Al Harris.

There probably is almost no chance any of them will play in Thursday’s preseason’s finale against Tennessee.

Essentially, practice this morning is comprised of working special teams and scouting for the Titans game.

9:30 a.m.

It may seem like training camp just began, but today's 10:15 a.m. practice is the last one open to the public. It's 61 and sunny with light winds out of the southeast. Enjoy.

-- Mike Vandermause, Tom Pelissero, Pete Dougherty and Rob Demovsky

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be made even worse by the fact that the Titans play their starters into the third quarter and ours will play 1-2 series.

pack4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he is a one year wonder....i don't imagine he's going to be at the same form last year for the first week or two of the season but i'm confident he'll reach that level a couple weeks into this regular season

joeyharrington

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thed thompson should've used a draft pick on a guy like jacob hester. There was a reason grant was on the practice squad before he came here. He wasnt any good. i'd say 75/25 he's a one year wonder.

brnt247

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was on the practice squad because he wasn't given a chance. He was the 4th string half back on our team because he wasn't given a chance. Not all players are given the opportunity to succeed, and he only had his because of injuries. Grant may not be a great half back in all systems, but in McCarthy's he's the ideal fit.

pack4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
I got that same feeling from his play last night, joeyharrington. They benched him after one play. Grant sucks.

lol yup, they saw everything they needed in that one play, he's garbage :lol:

uwbadger12000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
joeyharrington said:
Thed thompson should've used a draft pick on a guy like jacob hester. There was a reason grant was on the practice squad before he came here. He wasnt any good. i'd say 75/25 he's a one year wonder.

There was a reason Tom Brady was chosen in the sixth round.............I just can't remember the reason.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
joeyharrington said:

you're like the dumbest guy i know, and i know Emmit Smith.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts