1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Grady

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by hoos, Dec 9, 2005.

1. hoos

hoos Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Since there is a lot of talk about next season already, what do you all think we should do about Grady. I am of the opinion that he is a pretty big part of our defense and should be kept. I wouldn't be in favor of paying him 5mil/year, but I definitely think he's worth about 3.

2. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Plus

1) He is a run stopper.
    2) His attitude and mouth have improved since Hunt cut and Rosenhaus failed with Owens.
    3) Jim Bates rotation system helps him a great deal.

Minus

1) Age
    2) Conditioning
    3) Agent and Attitude

Intangible

1) He, Jenkins, and Cole are needing contracts. Who gets paid how much and in what order they sign will affect attitude.
    2) DT free agent market

3. PackMan

PackMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    While at the Falcon game this year Mrs Jackson was sitting in front of us and we had a chance to talk with her about Grady and the Packers. She informed us that this will be Grady's last year in Green Bay. He wants a much bigger contract then what the Packers are willing to offer. How did we know it was Gradys wife you may ask....well her packer jersey said MRS JACKSON. It seemed that thier mind was made up that this will be his last year.

4. Bruce

Bruce Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Grady has been crystal clear on that front -- he believes he should be paid top tier dollars for his position. He will not find any takers at that level, but his pride will not allow him to return to GB for less.

Grady is as good as gone. He does have talent, but is far too high of a risk to sign to a big dollar multi-year contract that he is demanding.

5. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Especially with the continuing emergence of Colin Cole. This kid is a find and seems to improve from game to game.

6. ChuckSTG

ChuckSTG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't be worried about him leaving if there was someone on the team to help replace him. Donnell Washington would be good. Good size and athletism, but apparently is lazy. That was the packers supposed "steal" of the the 2004 draft. Might be an area of of the draft to address in teh 1st or 2nd round. A Good DT(s) helps the LBs out in bates system.

7. Bruce

Bruce Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it is an important issue. I don't think the issue is one of being lazy with Washington, rather it is an issue of poor technique in playing too high. If a big man plays too high his size can be leveraged against him.

Sadly it is a difficult thing for some big men to do -- playing low and with speed. Jackson does it well, Washington does it poorly. Cole has good solid technique but lacks the great athleticism that Washington and Jackson (who is cat quick for a man his size) has.

Drafting a DT is not out of the question, but it is rarely a position that rookies make impactful contributrions at.

8. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Holati Ngata out of Oregon State. 6'-4", 340 lbs, sub 5.0 second 40, relentless and a bit of a mean streak.

9. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    let him become a free agent.

10. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I think he is too old and too injury prone now for the job. As thankful as I am of his job this year(and surprised he was healthy), its time to move on. We have a lot of young men in our DT\DE pool and we need to straighten it out. He wants too much money for a job he probably wont be able to do. With Cole,Montgomery,Jenkins, AND KGB and KAMPMAN at the ends...we're good on the line. If TT wants to make a move in free agency or draft, thats fine too.

I also think we need to cut KGB....

11. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    KGB got $13 million in guaranteed money 3 years ago. We can't cut him yet.

12. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    im gonna rename KGB to 1D, as in 1-Dimensional

13. PackerTraxx

PackerTraxx Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Our most valuable person on defense is Bates. I just hope we can keep him and get him a little more ammo.

14. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    As of now Grady has 38 tackles with 1 sack while COle has 32 tackles and 2 sacks.
    Grady is 32 and makes nearly $1mil. Cole is 25 and makes $380,000.
    If GB can keep only one of them I think it should be Cole.
    If Grady is willing to do a structured, incentive based contract then they should try and resign him as well.

15. HatestheEagles084

HatestheEagles084 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    throw statistics aside...i saw on numerous plays tonight, grady is simply a road block

colin cole had an alright night...i still like him...but grady jackson is too fat, too fragile to get a longer term contract, he's great at what he does but we cant afford to send ourselves right back to salary cap hell

16. sixone220

sixone220 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    i agree jwalk. he's too risky for a big deal, but you are right on the stats. grave digger didn't put up numbers but he did take up 2-3 guys and make it almost impossible to find a hole in the middle.

17. HatestheEagles084

Ratings:
    +1
    ill tell you what...mike montgomery really showed me something tonight...he was in on a few plays, specifically a detroit screen pass which he helped blow up...i hope to see more of him next season

18. sixone220

sixone220 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    i think kgb should be used like mathis in indy and let him take 20-25 passing plays. keep him fresh and fast.

19. HatestheEagles084

Ratings:
    +1
    jim bates better think of something--and fast...pass rush is one glaring weakness on this team...i know kgb was a good pass rusher in the past but he's done nothing this season except run himself out of several plays...but yeah he is not an every down lineman--mike montgomery, wearing sean jones' #96, showed me a lot tonight on the plays he was in, and i want to see him get more of a chance in the last three games

20. P@ck66

P@ck66 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    This team better work something out with Grady..

These guys don't grow on trees...and he is a MAJOR contributor...

Y'all saw what happened when Gilbert left?

21. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He showed promise in pre-season. Bates should have put him in more during the season to get experience. Hopefully he will during these last few games.

22. HatestheEagles084

Ratings:
    +1
    grady will go on the market seeking big bucks, not get it, and might very well end up back here

23. calicheesehead

calicheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I like Grady, he's a huge run stuffer. He's also vastly overweight and like Shaq needs half the season to get into game shape. I fear he's going to drop dead from his heart stopping sooner than later. I'm not trying to be mean spirited or anything like that, just watching him last night you just get the feeling. We just need to see what's out there, at what price, after the season.

24. HatestheEagles084

Ratings:
    +1
    now, that the euphoria created by a WIN has wore off, i have re-evaluated my stance on grady...he could be outstanding, a force like he was last night...or he could be knocked off his feet all night like i remember he was vs. philly

grady should be brought back if and only if he doesnt get the big bucks...regardless, i think an early pick should be spent on another oversized DT who we could groom (or possibly start) in this role...i'm all for haloti ngata with our top ten pick, but we'll see