Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers just switched out Kickers and claimed Brkic off waivers in place of Eberle. Kid does have a leg

FWIW:

Overview

Brkic had decent power in 2020, but he was a more composed and effective striker of the football in 2021. Hitting five of his seven attempts from 50-plus yards, Brkic improved his draft stock, but he lacks premium accuracy on intermediate kicks. Brkic could be a Day 3 selection, but needs to sharpen his placement and touchback rate on kickoffs.

Strengths

• Rapid step-to-kick operation time.
  • Ball striking is compact.
  • Kicked with better power and body control in 2021.
  • Generates lift and rotation quickly.
  • Nailed three field goals of 50-plus yards (51, 55 and 56) in the same game versus Tulane.
Weaknesses
  • Slight push/pull in his kicks from distance.
  • Intermediate accuracy can wane.
  • Kickoff leg lacks deep-ball power.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hardly think leg strength is a problem...

...and a cool mustache to rival AR's! ;)
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

He was one of two Kickers I thought would declare I was willing to spend a draft pick on in the 7th. It is all mechanical/techniques which cause his kickoff distance to not be quite there - I love his quick approach and fast elevation which doesn't seem to hinder his ability to hit distance field goals.

I love everything about him being behind Crosby.

Reaction score
He was one of two Kickers I thought would declare I was willing to spend a draft pick on in the 7th. It is all mechanical/techniques which cause his kickoff distance to not be quite there - I love his quick approach and fast elevation which doesn't seem to hinder his ability to hit distance field goals.

I love everything about him being behind Crosby.
Seems like an adequate backup plan at K

Oh wait! I forgot.. We’re not supposed to value backup players at dynamic positions like K or QB or have any contingency strategy. :whistling:
Cut that piece of crap and Let’s go get another Rookie WR that can’t produce for 2-3 seasons. ;)

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Oh wait! I forgot.. We’re not supposed to value backup players at dynamic positions like K or QB or have any contingency strategy. :whistling:
Cut that piece of crap and Let’s go get another WR!
Not really an apt comparison. We didn't trade a 4th rounder to move up and draft a kicker higher in the 1st round.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Cut that piece of crap and Let’s go get another Rookie WR that can’t produce for 2-3 seasons. ;)
Does this mean Watson and Doubs are not going to produce this year?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Eberle only made 66% of his FG attempts in the NFL. No wonder they decided he wasn't worth keeping around, Crosby has an 81% lifetime average. :coffee:

D

Deleted member 6794

Eberle only made 66% of his FG attempts in the NFL. No wonder they decided he wasn't worth keeping around, Crosby has an 81% lifetime average. :coffee:

There might be an argument to be made that three attempts is too small of a sample size :sneaky:

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mason Crosby's wife says he is done in Green Bay, but it's not true unless we hear it from Aaron Rodgers.

Reaction score
It doesn’t look good for Mason if his Wife is saying that.
I still think he’s a pretty good Kicker and as far as Father Time? It doesn’t seem to apply to Kickers as quickly.

Crosby is obviously not worth top 5 Kicker $$. However Kickers are more important than many give the position credit. Look at the historic scoring leaders.. all Kickers.
I’d Give our Franchise scoring leader 1 year Vet minimum plus several $250K bonus’ etc.. for production markers (cap it at $2M max) and if he’s not interested? Then he’s made his own choice to move on.

Give Carlson 1 year to work with Rich and use him on Kickoffs etc. I’m not real enthused about our new Kicker just yet. Anders Carlson needs a Redshirt season imo. If we are expecting Carlson to outperform Crosby in 2023, expect to be disappointed.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn’t look good for Mason if his Wife is saying that.
I still think he’s a pretty good Kicker and as far as Father Time? It doesn’t seem to apply to Kickers as quickly.

He is just a couple seasons from really climbing some historic league records. But the one that’s probably most impressive is he’s been a
1-team guy up until now.
Crosby has been a great Packer and a great kicker. That said, it's time for him to go. He can't reliably get kickoffs into the end zone, resulting in returns and an increased risk of injury, not to mention field position and points.

The Packers are in a youth movement, and that's appropriate. Time for Mason to call it a day. And yeah, I guess if the rookie fails, they can call him back. I think he'll be available.

Reaction score
He can't reliably get kickoffs into the end zone, resulting in returns and an increased risk of injury,
That Kickoff distance argument would be a better argument if we didn't have a Kicker we just drafted that has distance. So that’s a mute point.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Bring on the youth movement and development. Will miss having Mason out there, but if there was ever a time to part ways with him, this seemed like that time. Save some more on the cap space and if Anders doesn't work out, the Packers have plenty of time to find reliable kicker, before playoff wins are on the line.

Reaction score
Are you advocating that they use 2 game day roster spots on kickers?
Only in adverse weather (see 2022) Or are you saying you value Touchbacks over points?
That’s what I’m hearing you say

Give Carlson a season to get acclimated.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only in adverse weather (see 2022) Or are you saying you value Touchbacks over points?
That’s what I’m hearing you say

Give Carlson a season to get acclimated.
It’s done, but I wouldn’t use two roster spots for kickers. If the new guy falters they can call Crosby if he wants to come back.

Reaction score
It’s done, but I wouldn’t use two roster spots for kickers. If the new guy falters they can call Crosby if he wants to come back.
While it’s one idea, we can’t assume Crosby won’t get signed by another team or just retire.

I don’t even know If he’d come back for Vet minimum (plus incentives). He might tell us to kick rocks. Although compared to what he’s been making, I think $1.25m-1.75mil range (including incentives) is worth any roster offset. As far as going 2022 and carrying 2 Kickers as Schultz referred to, I highly doubt anyone steals Carlson off PS into an active Roster. I don’t even personally think he’s ready yet. We should Redshirt Carlson until he can get more accurate past 40 yards.

As far as making some clean break? (Poker mentioned not you) It’s Mason we’re talking about not Aaron Rodgers. We can walk away at anytime (next season) and he’s good. I think it would be wise to keep some continuity on our team as we transition. No Packer is more solid than Crosby.

All that said. I fully understand our MO is to walk away from players a year early also. I’m not suggesting this is what Brian wants, this is my preference. I think we’re going to regret it in 2023 if we think Carlson will outperform Crosby. Expect this decision to possibly cost us 1 or 2 contests. Has anyone else looked at Carlsons record? He makes Crosby look like Justin Tucker

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts