Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My recollection. You answered someone's criticism of Crosby not getting enough touchbacks by saying we just drafted a K who will get you touchbacks so the point is mute. I then asked if you were advocating keeping 2 kickers on the active game day roster. You never answered that question, but did your round about suttle shot at me. IMO the other comments are from people who , like myself, took your comment to mean 2 kickers on the 53. Your answers to these people finally answer my original question , that you want 1 on the active roster and one on the practice squad if necessary. No charge for the interpreting.
I think you have it right. But keeping one K on the roster and another on the PS is still, IMO, using two spots for a position requiring one. And the argument somebody made about keeping Crosby for team continuity is, not worth a response. Time to move on at K.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone wanted Crosby on kickoffs. there just wasn't an alternative.
No, I mean, are we sure MLF wanted Crosby to kick the ball out of the end zone? Or to kick it a little shorter, allow a return, and hopefully get a stop before the 25? I know the latter sounds a little crazy given our special teams, but maybe he's thinking idealistically.

D

Deleted member 6794

With all due respect we just did it this last year (see Week 17, 2022) So obviously that’s completely false.

The Packers didn't have two kickers on the 53 but elevated Ahmed for that game though. In addition I don't consider having two kickers active on game day as a smart approach at all.

So imo, there’s a low probability someone would use an active spot on a project K that they passed on for 6 Rounds and wasn’t some consensus draft rated player
(ranked #372)

While most teams are hesitant to draft a kicker they don't have any issue using a waiver claim on one if in need of an upgrade at the position.

The Packers will replace Crosby this year simply because of money. Anders Carlson would count about $40k against the cap from what I gather, and the other guy would be zero.

The Packers moving on from Carlson would result in a total of $160K of dead money. I agree that's not a reason to hold on to him if he doesn't perform up to expectations.

Don't even think about gong there with the statements that the Packers finally got it straight, and dumped Crosby because he's lost it. His 81.4% FG accuracy is second only to Longwell's at 81.6%, and if you throw out the years where EPs have been moved back, he's right up there with percentage of EPs made as well.

You have to realize that kickers significantly improved over the past few decades, that's why nearly all of the current ones rank among the leaders in field goal percentage in team history. Since 2007, Crosby is ranked only 53rd among 61 kickers with at least 100 attempts though.

I believe both Crosby & Gould are free agents. Dallas is searching for a kicker, not sure why either of these guys hasn't been signed, yet.

It shouldn't be surprising to anyone that teams don't want to sign a kicker who doesn't have enough leg strength to kickoff into the end zone anymore.

Even so, Love is inheriting a pretty good offense.

I definitely don't consider the Packers offense to be pretty good entering this season.

Are we certain MLF wanted Crosby to kick touchbacks?

Yes.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I mean, are we sure MLF wanted Crosby to kick the ball out of the end zone? Or to kick it a little shorter, allow a return, and hopefully get a stop before the 25? I know the latter sounds a little crazy given our special teams, but maybe he's thinking idealistically.
I get it, thanks for explaining that. I don’t think that’s the strategy but who knows? I agree most returns end up short of the 25. Maybe that’s an idea Bisaccia came up with.

My concern, and the reason the NFL changed the rule, is the high risk of injury on kick returns.

As for Crosby, he’s still reliable. Just seems like the time is right to go younger, and ideally, stronger.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to realize that kickers significantly improved over the past few decades, that's why nearly all of the current ones rank among the leaders in field goal percentage in team history. Since 2007, Crosby is ranked only 53rd among 61 kickers with at least 100 attempts though.
Yeah, I think field goals are a little too automatic. I think the game could be a little more interesting with moving the hashmarks more outside again. imho. It affects play calling also and I like that. It just bugs me when I think owners make up new rules for the sole purpose of what they think puts more "fans" in the seats or on the couch. The dumbing down of the sport in a lot of cases. And that isn't only football.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely don't consider the Packers offense to be pretty good entering this season.
So much depends on the O line imho. One place I am concerned about and one place we did not address. Hope I am proven wrong.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's actually Bisaccia's call and he has a history of wanting returns and trusting his coverage teams to give them better field position. He likes his kickoffs high and right at the goal line.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's actually Bisaccia's call and he has a history of wanting returns and trusting his coverage teams to give them better field position. He likes his kickoffs high and right at the goal line.
With the number of penalties on return teams, fumbles, and failure to reach to the 25 yard line on kicks, I can totally understand why you would prefer the ball having more hang time, and end up short of the goal line. A lot of things can happen with a return. When the ball was automatically placed at the 20, I could understand the reason for touch backs, but now? Not so much, unless the other team has a guy who's a lights out return man, with a history of burning everyone with great returns.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you trust your D kick it in the endzone. If not hope your STs makes the play or the opponents commits a penalty. IMO.

Reaction score
My recollection. You answered someone's criticism of Crosby not getting enough touchbacks by saying we just drafted a K who will get you touchbacks so the point is mute. I then asked if you were advocating keeping 2 kickers on the active game day roster. You never answered that question, but did your round about suttle shot at me. IMO the other comments are from people who , like myself, took your comment to mean 2 kickers on the 53. Your answers to these people finally answer my original question , that you want 1 on the active roster and one on the practice squad if necessary. No charge for the interpreting.
I seriously don’t think the ball landing at the +2 or -2 is going to change the spectrum of the game even 10% as much as accuracy in FG.

Maybe someone supporting this KO depth can show us how many TD we gave up (POINTS) in comparison to our return team or even the league? Otherwise it’s just a meaningless stat we’re arguing in total vain.

Please show us compelling evidence of how KO distance mutilated our scoreboard or cost us Wins.

You’ve got the floor @Schultz I’m listening and I’m open ears. I’m being very serious I’m not setting you up. Show us in real life the impact

Last edited:
Reaction score
And the argument somebody made about keeping Crosby for team continuity is, not worth a response. Time to move on at K.
That concept includes any Kicker or player of any position who is consistent at their job. Why would you let a completely good employee go for transient reasons if they are good at their job? Unless you don’t need the position anymore then it’s an acceptable reason.
$$ would be about the only other adequate reason. If Crosby was $700k I’m about 75% sure he’d already be resigned. Id eat at Burger King tonight if Cheeseburgers were .10 cent and I don’t even like BK. If cans of Pepsi were a Penny id buy a case and I don’t even like Pepsi. I’d drop it off at your house because I’m that kinda guy :tup:

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That concept includes any Kicker or player of any position who is consistent at their job. Why would you let a completely good employee go for transient reasons if they are good at their job?
$$ would be about the only adequate reason. If Crosby was $700k I’m about 75% sure he’d already be resigned. It’s all about the Quan

I suppose anything can happen but what really realistic?

What % of teams steal a Rookie Kicker who was consensus rated past #270 overall or greater off an opponents PS?
List example names here of how frequent that happens.
The NFL is about winning. Just because a beyond his sell date kicker is $700k doesn’t mean much if he can’t help win games.

Reaction score
The NFL is about winning. Just because a beyond his sell date kicker is $700k doesn’t mean much if he can’t help win games.
So Crosby can’t help Win games? Or you meant Crosby is a loser?

You do realize Crosby finished Top 15 in FG % and top 13 in XPM last season.
why don’t the other 17 teams ranked under him fire their Kicker?

It’s about the Quan$

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Crosby can’t help Win games? Or you meant Crosby is a loser?

You do realize Crosby finished Top 15 in FG % and top 13 in XPM last season.
why don’t the other 17 teams ranked under him fire their Kicker?
He can’t get the ball to the end zone. Just seems like it’s a good time to part ways. And Gluten wouldn’t waste a fifth round pick on a long shot.

Sorry, I realize there’s a lot of sentiment around these guys. The Packers are going young, so go all in. Better to get rid of a guy a year too early.

And it seems guys are regularly making kicks from 55 to 60 yards. Crosby can’t do that. No, it’s time to call it a career.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this team were expected to be a legit contender this year, then yeah, spend the extra coin for a top-notch kicker. But this team needs a reset.

Reaction score
He can’t get the ball to the end zone. Just seems like it’s a good time to part ways. And Gluten wouldn’t waste a fifth round pick on a long shot.

Sorry, I realize there’s a lot of sentiment around these guys. The Packers are going young, so go all in. Better to get rid of a guy a year too early.

And it seems guys are regularly making kicks from 55 to 60 yards. Crosby can’t do that. No, it’s time to call it a career.
Im being sarcastic.

I will concede they do see a minor decline in distance. Although he did kick a 55.5 last season.

They may be thinking he’s in the last 1-2 years and we both know teams don’t want to be left hanging. It’s probably a combo of the team reset and moving into a new horizon, plus they just don’t have $3m to pay Crosby (in practical terms)

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
That concept includes any Kicker or player of any position who is consistent at their job. Why would you let a completely good employee go for transient reasons if they are good at their job? Unless you don’t need the position anymore then it’s an acceptable reason.
$$ would be about the only other adequate reason. If Crosby was $700k I’m about 75% sure he’d already be resigned. Id eat at Burger King tonight if Cheeseburgers were .10 cent and I don’t even like BK. If cans of Pepsi were a Penny id buy a case and I don’t even like Pepsi. I’d drop it off at your house because I’m that kinda guy :tup:
FYI Budweiser has a $20 rebate per case of Bud products running currently in certain states.
And Gluten wouldn’t waste a fifth round pick on a long shot.
He didn't. It was a 6th round pick he invested.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seriously don’t think the ball landing at the +2 or -2 is going to change the spectrum of the game even 10% as much as accuracy in FG.

Maybe someone supporting this KO depth can show us how many TD we gave up (POINTS) in comparison to our return team or even the league? Otherwise it’s just a meaningless stat we’re arguing in total vain.

Please show us compelling evidence of how KO distance mutilated our scoreboard or cost us Wins.

You’ve got the floor @Schultz I’m listening and I’m open ears. I’m being very serious I’m not setting you up. Show us in real life the impact
See here is the problem. I have to my recollection never weighed in on the Mason Crosby does or does not kick enough touchbacks. Someone else did. I think it was Hey Joe. Now follow closely. I can't type any slower. You answered him saying we drafted a guy who can kick it in the endzone so that is a mute point The spaces are to give you time. I then asked if you are advocating for keeping 2 kickers on the game day roster. One to kick touchbacks and one for FGs. Somehow you have turned that into I value touchbacks over points. Breathe now.